Someone please 'splain this FP+ crap to me

and just by checking at random times, I got an afternoon 7DMT slot for 2 fairly easily just last week. 

I feel less intelligent than a 4th grader because I am so confused.  

I went back and forth today trying to book FP and because we are all on different pages, it is difficult to predict who will be where at what times.  But, I don't know if I can get whoever is with me on a single FP or what?  For example, if I want my youngest and I to be on the same attraction do we individually need a FP for the same time slots?  

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just checked the website. I can't make my fp+ choices yet, because I haven't purchased our annual passes yet.  So the rat is forcing me to spend $$ I wasnt ready to do just to preplan rides that I w

Thanks for the help, err'body.     Carol,   That doesn't sound very "magical". Its crap like this why I don't like the system. I'm not a planner. I would rather show up early and grab a paper FP. oh w

I thought the ones during a resort stay don't count towards your 7 days. 

I feel less intelligent than a 4th grader because I am so confused.  

I went back and forth today trying to book FP and because we are all on different pages, it is difficult to predict who will be where at what times.  But, I don't know if I can get whoever is with me on a single FP or what?  For example, if I want my youngest and I to be on the same attraction do we individually need a FP for the same time slots?  

Yes.  Only those magic bands with a FP+ reserved for within that time period will be allowed on the ride.  

"This type of planning goes against just about everything we like about vacation."

I totally agree with this. This is the reason I will probably never return to WDW.  unfortunately.  I am not

going to spend that kind of money and not be able to ride the bigger rides, because we are not able

to obtain fastpasses .  ( I know Disney doesn't care about the non planners like me. They make plenty of money regardless.)

Yes.  Only those magic bands with a FP+ reserved for within that time period will be allowed on the ride.  

Thanks Marty.  That means I have to do over.  :(  Some of the tickets I do not even have yet, so I likely will not be able to get everyone on the same page.

Thanks Marty.  That means I have to do over.   :(  Some of the tickets I do not even have yet, so I likely will not be able to get everyone on the same page.

Remember that all you need are overlapping times, and included in that is you can arrive up to 5 minutes early and 15 minutes late ( I believe, I was unable to confirm this while i was there).

Editing to add: Here is where I read the early and late info: http://allears.net/tp/fastpass-plus.htm

Are you in your 60 day window?

That's what the problem is.

I just got off the phone with Disney. There was a mistake on our resort rezzie

I asked why I could only see the 30 window and she said the 60 day window won't even show up until I'm 60 days out. Which won't be until tomorrow at midnight.

Thanks.

"This type of planning goes against just about everything we like about vacation."

I totally agree with this. This is the reason I will probably never return to WDW.  unfortunately.  I am not

going to spend that kind of money and not be able to ride the bigger rides, because we are not able

to obtain fastpasses .  ( I know Disney doesn't care about the non planners like me. They make plenty of money regardless.)

Just for another opinion, when I went to WDW with the Wild Womenz last January, we rode all the big ticket rides in one day with no fastpass+.  We did rope drop at HS for TSMM, but just did stand-by for the rest and had a fine time.  I think our longest lines were RnRC, which i believe broke down while we were waiting, and Space Mtn., which was at the end of the day.

So here's the thing, I've done my share of complaining about FP+, but all in all, it isn't really that bad. You can get things like Space and BTMRR the day of. The only things I really dislike about it are the tiering and the limit of 3 FP+ in advance. Both are fairly easy to work around if you're willing to get there for rope drop or have 2 days at the same park.

The idea that you won't be able to ride headliners anymore is really not true... at this point. It took effort, but I was able to plan a last minute trip the week of July 4th and got FP+ for everything I wanted, including 7DMT and A&E. With the exception of a few things, FP+ availability has been MUCH easier than I thought it would before it was released. 

Just my 2 cents... 

I totally agree with this. This is the reason I will probably never return to WDW. unfortunately. I am not

to obtain fastpasses . ( I know Disney doesn't care about the non planners like me. They make plenty of money regardless.)

I HATE, HATE, HATE, having to plan my vacation. Our family is the "what do you want to do today?"

And to be honest with you I now do things that I feel our cheating the system. And before FP+ came along I would have never done. And I would get mad at people that did these kind of things.

Some people will be mad and say I shouldn't do those sorts of things but I really don't care.

Disney has set up a system that forces you to plan your trip, especially during the holidays.

I don't want to think about having to be at X restaurant at X time 180 days from now.

Or I have to be at C ride between X and X 60 days before I get there. What if some one in my family is sick the day we have a FP+ for SDMT? We can't just change it to the next day. Nope we either don't get to ride it or wait inline forever.

But I know from experience that if I don't have ADR and FP+ rezzies we won't get to do what we enjoy doing.

Rant over. Back to your regularly scheduled program.

So here's the thing, I've done my share of complaining about FP+, but all in all, it isn't really that bad. You can get things like Space and BTMRR the day of. The only things I really dislike about it are the tiering and the limit of 3 FP+ in advance. Both are fairly easy to work around if you're willing to get there for rope drop or have 2 days at the same park.

The idea that you won't be able to ride headliners anymore is really not true... at this point. It took effort, but I was able to plan a last minute trip the week of July 4th and got FP+ for everything I wanted, including 7DMT and A&E. With the exception of a few things, FP+ availability has been MUCH easier than I thought it would before it was released.

Just my 2 cents...

Your a planner Kelly. And IMHO FP+ is a good tool for you and other planners to use. But for us non planners it SMB that we have to plan. * see previous post. Lol

How far out were you able to get A&E?

Our last trip, in May/June I was up at midnight on my 60 day mark and had two weeks to try to get a FP+ to see them and everyday was booked solid.

I am a planner, so I know that figures into my opinion. I'm just saying that you can still ride lots of stuff without planning too far ahead. For example, tomorrow everything is still available except A&E, 7DMT, wishes, parade, character spot, and TSMM.

I think I got A&E 1-2 weeks out. I had to book them as individuals ans work to overlap them. That part was a pain, but the idea that you can't so anything if you don't plan 2 month out is silly.

I am a planner, so I know that figures into my opinion. I'm just saying that you can still ride lots of stuff without planning too far ahead. For example, tomorrow everything is still available except A&E, 7DMT, wishes, parade, character spot, and TSMM.

I think I got A&E 1-2 weeks out. I had to book them as individuals ans work to overlap them. That part was a pain, but the idea that you can't so anything if you don't plan 2 month out is silly.

I agree with that you don't have to plan to ride most rides. But what you might be missing is that some of us don't want to plan at all.

No one said you can't do anything if you don't plan. But You will have a long long wait if you don't plan ahead on the most popular rides and attractions.

Trying getting on SDMT, TSMM, or A&E if you don't have a FP+ during any busy holiday period. I've seen wait times I'm excess of three hours.

We all have different ways we like to vacation. Some are planners, some are fly by the seat of your pants and most of us are somewhere in the middle. I don't think one way is better than any other. But I do think the new FP+ benefits the planners among us.

I know it's not going to happen and we had this debate before but I wish they never would have gotten rid of the old FP system.

I agree with you Ray. 

The old fast pass system seemed a little more fair for all.

I can only visit one time a year for vacation. So for my

money it would be nice to enjoy most of the attractions without

having to plan months in advance. 

With all the restaurants booked up months in advance it just

SMB. I agree that everyone has their own preferred way to 

enjoy Disney, and there is nothing wrong with that.  I just don't

think I can justify the cost anymore. 

when I went to WDW with the Wild Womenz last January, we rode all the big ticket rides in one day with no fastpass

Timing is everything.

Our family is the "what do you want to do today?"

But it's unrealistic to expect to do that on Christmas week. That week is a very bad week for a non planner to visit if they expect to do the prime attractions without long waits.

Planners will do fine during peak times with the new system, non planners, not as well.

I know it's not going to happen and we had this debate before but I wish they never would have gotten rid of the old FP system.

Never say never.

A main gripe is that you're compelled to get FPs ahead of time. If the complaints become overwhelming, they could easily do away with that feature and install more FP locations which would mimic the old system. Everyone gets FPs at the parks.

I just don't think I can justify the cost anymore. 

That's easier said than done.

Your absolutely right about Christmas week.

And that's why I'll be up at midnight tonight to get some FP+. Lol.

Even though I hate having to plan I know I have too. So I do.

I just hate that I will have multi ADRs and will end up canceling half of them last minute.

And I know I'm not the only one that does this. It's just one of the unexpected consequences that I think Disney didn't expect.

Your absolutely right about Christmas week.

And that's why I'll be up at midnight tonight to get some FP+. Lol.

It's 11pm your time.  

My advice....book your MK days first and get A&E and Mine Train if you want those.  Everything else will be available afterward.  

This is the advice given to me just yesterday by the brilliant minds here and I got what I wanted.  

Another thought about this system that occurred to me....and I'm wondering how many people are doing this:

You can book FP's 60 days before your stay, for the length of your stay.  I asked a question recently about how it works if I have to push my check-in back a day after booking my FP selections.  Apparently it's fine to do that and I won't lose my FP's.  So if you are going to WDW during a busy week like Christmas, couldn't you book your check in for a day in the much quieter week before Christmas, book all your FP selections 60 days before that check in when there is much less competition for them, and then subsequently cancel the extra days on your reservation?  It seems wrong to do....but I bet there are lots of people gaming the system this way.  

Another thought about this system that occurred to me....and I'm wondering how many people are doing this:

You can book FP's 60 days before your stay, for the length of your stay. I asked a question recently about how it works if I have to push my check-in back a day after booking my FP selections. Apparently it's fine to do that and I won't lose my FP's. So if you are going to WDW during a busy week like Christmas, couldn't you book your check in for a day in the much quieter week before Christmas, book all your FP selections 60 days before that check in when there is much less competition for them, and then subsequently cancel the extra days on your reservation? It seems wrong to do....but I bet there are lots of people gaming the system this way.

Great idea. I'm sending you a PM.

I agree with that you don't have to plan to ride most rides. But what you might be missing is that some of us don't want to plan at all.

No one said you can't do anything if you don't plan. But You will have a long long wait if you don't plan ahead on the most popular rides and attractions.

Trying getting on SDMT, TSMM, or A&E if you don't have a FP+ during any busy holiday period. I've seen wait times I'm excess of three hours.

We all have different ways we like to vacation. Some are planners, some are fly by the seat of your pants and most of us are somewhere in the middle. I don't think one way is better than any other. But I do think the new FP+ benefits the planners among us.

I'm not saying it's perfect, and I can't believe I'm defending it. Long waits at major attractions were around BEFORE FP+, especially around the holidays. Some major attractions like Space and BTMRR actually have shorter standby waits now. However, rides that never had a wait before do, so that's a negative of the system.  

I agree with you Ray. 

The old fast pass system seemed a little more fair for all.

I can only visit one time a year for vacation. So for my

money it would be nice to enjoy most of the attractions without

having to plan months in advance. 

With all the restaurants booked up months in advance it just

SMB. I agree that everyone has their own preferred way to 

enjoy Disney, and there is nothing wrong with that.  I just don't

think I can justify the cost anymore. 

If you want to ride MOST of the attractions, you can make your plans the night before. You don't have to plan months in advance. 

It's 11pm your time.  

My advice....book your MK days first and get A&E and Mine Train if you want those.  Everything else will be available afterward.  

This is the advice given to me just yesterday by the brilliant minds here and I got what I wanted.  

I agree. 

You can book FP's 60 days before your stay, for the length of your stay.  I asked a question recently about how it works if I have to push my check-in back a day after booking my FP selections.  Apparently it's fine to do that and I won't lose my FP's.  So if you are going to WDW during a busy week like Christmas, couldn't you book your check in for a day in the much quieter week before Christmas, book all your FP selections 60 days before that check in when there is much less competition for them, and then subsequently cancel the extra days on your reservation?  It seems wrong to do....but I bet there are lots of people gaming the system this way.  

Yes, people do. 

This is the type of post that I have seen on other sites come from guests defending FP+ by saying they could get the reservations they wanted on short notice.

But, let's be clear on what you had to do to get these FP+'s.  You had to pick a day and check for availability one guest at a time.  When you found your A&E FP+, you had to book that, as well as two FP+'s you may not have wanted, and then close out and search as another individual guest.  And so on.  You ended up with separate FP+ reservations for each member of you party. Sometimes you can manipulate the times so they overlap, and you can then enjoy the attraction together.  That may work for a small party during a not busy time.  It might also work during a busy time, when parks have very extended hours and are operating at full capacity.  It won't work for a family of more than 2 or 3 who all wants to see A&E together.  Also, when you went, and even now, A&E FP+'s are and were way easier to get than Mine Train FP+'s.

As for what you were able to see as being available tomorrow-you were searching for 1 FP+.  You would not have found those attractions available if you searched for 2 or 3 together.  Searching for one FP+ at a time and then piecing them together does work, most of the time.  Just last week, by checking multiple times, I was able to book 4 FP+'s for the Mine Train on a Wednesday to use the next day-Thursday.  But, despite multiple attempts, I could only get two of them to have an overlapping return time. 

So, yes, there are last minute FP+'s available, but when you're trying to get a group of more than 2 to ride together, it's not easy, and most of the time it's impossible. And, it's one thing to be able to do that at home from your computer, but it wouldn't be easy to do from a park or resort during your vacation.

TCD