Maybe there is hope for "Free internet" in the future?

Just saw this on a different site (No, not THAT one! :heart:). Wonder if there is a chance that all resorts might eventually get a chance at free wireless internet (or just the deluxe ones  :rofl2:).

Free Wireless Internet 30 day pilot at Disney's Contemporary Resort

Mar 24, 2011

Starting today for the next 30 days, guests will be able to utilize free wireless Internet in certain areas of Disney?s Contemporary Resort. The pilot program is to test a new design of a wireless/cell phone coverage configuration. Free wireless Internet access will be available only in the lobby, main pool area, The Wave Restaurant and lounge, and the Convention Center common areas.

You connect to the network option labeled ?Guest ? Access (unsecured)?. Once you click on that option, you?ll be taken to a screen that prompts you to accept the terms and conditions. After accepting the terms and conditions, you?ll have free wireless Internet access. Guests can take advantage of Internet access in areas that aren?t part of the pilot program for a fee ? $9.95 per day for public areas (wireless) and $14.95 per day for guest rooms (wired).

Just saw this on a different site (No, not THAT one! ;)). Wonder if there is a chance that all resorts might eventually get a chance at free wireless internet (or just the deluxe ones  :argh:).

Free Wireless Internet 30 day pilot at Disney's Contemporary Resort

Mar 24, 2011

Starting today for the next 30 days, guests will be able to utilize free wireless Internet in certain areas of Disney?s Contemporary Resort. The pilot program is to test a new design of a wireless/cell phone coverage configuration. Free wireless Internet access will be available only in the lobby, main pool area, The Wave Restaurant and lounge, and the Convention Center common areas.

You connect to the network option labeled ?Guest ? Access (unsecured)?. Once you click on that option, you?ll be taken to a screen that prompts you to accept the terms and conditions. After accepting the terms and conditions, you?ll have free wireless Internet access. Guests can take advantage of Internet access in areas that aren?t part of the pilot program for a fee ? $9.95 per day for public areas (wireless) and $14.95 per day for guest rooms (wired).

I don't get it... Surely wdw's resort of the future can't be that far behind the times. I just assumed all the deluxe resorts had free wireless in the lobbies.

Yacht/Beach Club/Boardwalk have had free wireless access in the lobbies and pool areas for several years now. It's one of the main reasons you can't sit in the BC lobby anymore in the morning enjoying a quiet cup of coffee - everyone's already planted on the sofas & chairs from early morning til late at night checking their email and such... :argh:

I wonder what their end game is.  Disney won't even sniff around something unless there's a way to make a buck.  Wonder what adjunct product they are designing to utilize the network.

honestly I don't see how they've gotten away with it so far! lol, everything is ran by the internet these days....lol or so it seems! Do any of you use a internet card while at the fort?or do you suck it up pay the fees?

I switched to a Droid last year.  The wireless hot spot works like a dream!  :banana:

My husband's Incredible and my iPhone both can be set up as a hot spot, but I haven't tried it yet.  Do you know if there is an additional fee to use the hot spot through Verizon?

If they advertised the incredible as being able to tether, then it is included...the iPhone you will have to pay for

We rooted our droids (we have original droids) so we can tether them.  As soon as my air card contract expires with sprint....bye bye sprint for my laptop

We use the VirginMobile "pay as you go" plan.

No contract.    :banana:

$50 gives us 30 days of unlimited access.

It works very well at The Fort!

That is exactly how we do it also. I pay the fee when we will travel & when we get home it get stuck in the drawer until next year. Those Disney modems are just plain ridiculous & expensive.

Dammit, now you're going to make me go dig out a bill....

They were trying to zing us for twenty a phone.  The zinger of the thing was it was free when we left for our trip to Crystal River last year.  By the time we got up there and parked the mh, they had rerouted the tether to a website and wanted a commitment of an extra twenty a month.  Needless to say, Super Geek was highly ticked off and rooted the phone while we were there camping.  Of course, he decided to root my phone while all the lawyers were swarming and my phone was going off nonstop a couple of weeks ago! :banana:

Dammit, now you're going to make me go dig out a bill....

They were trying to zing us for twenty a phone.  The zinger of the thing was it was free when we left for our trip to Crystal River last year.  By the time we got up there and parked the mh, they had rerouted the tether to a website and wanted a commitment of an extra twenty a month.  Needless to say, Super Geek was highly ticked off and rooted the phone while we were there camping.  Of course, he decided to root my phone while all the lawyers were swarming and my phone was going off nonstop a couple of weeks ago! :dance:

Next he has to rerout my phone, because we all know if I tried to do it I wouldn't have a phone.  :rofl2: :rofl2:

Surely wdw's resort of the future can't be that far behind the times. I just assumed all the deluxe resorts had free wireless in the lobbies.

In addition to the resorts you mentioned, WIFI is available at over thirty WDW resort locations. The key word for this program is FREE.

WDW information shows that they charge $4.99/hr or $9.95/day at all of the locations.

Are you saying that it's free at the resorts you listed?

In addition to the resorts you mentioned, WIFI is available at over thirty WDW resort locations. The key word for this program is FREE.

WDW information shows that they charge $4.99/hr or $9.95/day at all of the locations.

Are you saying that it's free at the resorts you listed?

Unless this has changed in the last year, if you use the internet from your room or - worse yet buy time cards at the business center - then you pay per hr/day. If you go to the lobby or the pool at the YC/BC then the wireless was free.

If you venture into the BC lobby, you'll probably see most of the seats taken by folks with laptops. Before I realized the wireless was free there, I was really puzzled as to why the lobby had suddenly become such a hot spot to hang out.  :rofl2:

Not all laptops will run the free wireless, as we learned the hard way, but most seem to. I think it had something to do with your security settings & browser for those that couldn't run it. DD21's old laptop wouldn't run it but her newer one did just fine, as did the BF's.

I just got a new phone the other day that can be a wireless hotspot!!  It is so cool.  No extra charges, and now both Rick and I can bring the netbooks camping, turn on the phone wifi and we can be surfing!!!

I LOVE T-MOBILE!! If AT&T messes us up, I will SCREAM!!!!

We rooted our droids (we have original droids) so we can tether them.  As soon as my air card contract expires with sprint....bye bye sprint for my laptop

I was thinking of having my EVO rooted, but how does that effect things when they do software upgrades. Does it have to be re-rooted?

I switched to a Droid last year.  The wireless hot spot works like a dream!  :banana:

My husband's Incredible and my iPhone both can be set up as a hot spot, but I haven't tried it yet.  Do you know if there is an additional fee to use the hot spot through Verizon?

DH activated the HotSpot on my DroidX last month to test with his iPad, my bill was $20 more!!  :rofl2: But its better than paying $9.95 a day, thats for sure!