Surprise, Santa, and a Shiny new AP Holder… A GDF Trip Report

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, it’s time for another GDF trip report. This trip started small and ended up much bigger. Originally, I thought Z and I might drive down for a few days before Christmas to see some Disney lights

We’ve made it to December 26th, our last day. The plan for this day was to hit Animal Kingdom for a bit and then hang at the Fort and go to the Fiend Grand Gathering at DIT’s site.   We weren’t doing

Okay so I'm about half way done with this report.  It's keeping me sane on these hard days of adjustment.  We got home from China about a week and a half ago!  Yay!   Here's the boys at the airport!  

Love the looping pics. Those sites were awesome to see when we were there in 2013.

A pre-Thanksgiving trip is likely for 2015 so hopefully some of those will be up when we are there.

Not sure how early in November you'll get in... but I think we'll be there until 14th of 15th (if we stick with our plans to come for Halloween).  Hopefully we'll get a chance to meet :)

Kelly... love, love, LOVE all the Christmas decorations and blow-ups.  Super neat :)   Was it cold at night?

A pre-Thanksgiving trip is likely for 2015 so hopefully some of those will be up when we are there.

Not sure how early in November you'll get in... but I think we'll be there until 14th of 15th (if we stick with our plans to come for Halloween).  Hopefully we'll get a chance to meet :)

And hopefully I'll get to see both of you!  We have reservations for 11/2 - 11/23.

Great job on the late night Fort looping photos of the Christmas decorations.

Were many guests following the new rules about turning off their lights at 10 pm?

TCD

Most guests were keeping their lights on, and as reported, the sleigh rides were still going through after 10:00. That whole rule is just weird. 

Love the looping pics. Those sites were awesome to see when we were there in 2013.

I hope you get to see some too! 

Kelly... love, love, LOVE all the Christmas decorations and blow-ups.  Super neat :)   Was it cold at night?

We should be there at same time as long as plans don't change.

And hopefully I'll get to see both of you!  We have reservations for 11/2 - 11/23.

You'll see us!  We'll stalk you, until we see you ;)

Glad you'll all get to see each other! 

Love, love, love GF at Christmas. We just love to go there and walk around with a drink and take it all in.

Great Fort Christmas decoration pictures. I just wish we would have had more time this last trip to enjoy the fort and fort fiends.

You guys need an RV or camper. I've decided that, so make it happen. 

Wednesday, December 24th

It’s Christmas Eve! And another Fort Day! We slept in again, and once we got rolling, I needed to run a little errand. See, I had gone on a special Santa mission for DIT while at DHS. There was supposed to be a package waiting for me at the Meadows Trading Post.

So I hopped on the cart and headed that way.

IMG_1568.jpg

Z came with me. While they looked for the package, he tried on hats.

IMG_1570.jpg

IMG_1572.jpg

I want one of these. Just throwing that out there in case any of you are contemplating buying me an expensive gift.

IMG_1573.jpg

In all seriousness, we have 4 of those style chair, not Fort ones, and really like them. I couldn’t find a price on those though. That’s probably not a good sign.

The Trading Post was decorated.

IMG_1574.jpg

So here’s when things got a bit less magical. They couldn’t find the package. I had forgotten to bring my slip with me (which was my fault). I called Jason who gave me the numbers off it. That’s when things got really weird. They showed the number belonged to some guy I’ve never heard of and that the package was bought in Epcot. Now, I was 100% certain that I bought it at DHS and put it in my name. I went back to the site and got the paperwork to prove myself. They apologized profusely and said they’d see if it was at the Lodge or try to figure things out. I let them know (very nicely) that it was a Christmas present for a little girl and that since the doll could only be found at DHS, I would like someone to go get one if they can’t find the one I paid for. They said they’d call me.

So I headed out. I also grabbed a “free” cookie and cider.

IMG_1575.jpg

And Z got stickers. I think it’s pretty funny that this is what they gave him, since the doll in question was for DIT.

IMG_1576.jpg

It was time for one of Z’s favorite Fort pastimes… the playgrounds!

IMG_1577.jpg

IMG_1579.jpg

He has become a monkey bar pro.

IMG_1581.jpg

IMG_1582.jpg

After playing for a bit, we picked up Jason to head to Trail’s End for some lunch.

IMG_1587.jpg

Decorations

IMG_1589.jpg

Flowers

IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_1591.jpg

The boys did some hula hooping. Notice Jason’s shirt. I think his Disney side is getting less grumpy.

IMG_1592.jpg

IMG_1594.jpg

And look who we got to visit with!

IMG_1595.jpg

Jason was super excited about getting some SWEET tea. Is Trail’s End the only place in Disney that has it?

IMG_1596.jpg

He was craving a chicken Caesar salad, but it wasn’t on the menu. I suggested he ask if they’d make him one since pretty much all the ingredients were present on the menu elsewhere. Guess what? They did!

IMG_1598.jpg

I’m not sure if you can tell, but it was HUGE.

I got the shrimp and grits again. YUM!

IMG_1599.jpg

Z ordered the grilled cheese.

IMG_1600.jpg

But then he saw Daddy’s salad and wanted some of that. So Daddy shared.

IMG_1601.jpg

Trail’s End lunch is really a hidden gem. The food is good and reasonably priced (for Disney). We headed out with stuffed bellies.

There was rain in the forecast, and the sky was looking cloudy.

IMG_1602.jpg

We were hoping to squeeze in more fun, however. We had some business to take care of at the TCD ranch, and the gold cart parade was in a couple hours. Will the rain hold out? Will the missing Elsa doll ever be found? You’ll  find out in the next update! 

Except for the missing doll, I'd say that y'all had a perfect morning at the Fort.

That's a great photo of Z with Ms. Josie.

I still have never had the Trail's End shrimp and grits.  I need to try those one of these days.

I am looking forward to hearing how the missing doll got resolved.  I remember Twin #2 telling me that there are CM's whose job it is to run and get merchandise for guests. I am hoping that they did that for Anna.

TCD

Love the pic of Z in the cowboy hat :)   How much did the lunch at Trail's End cost?  Know what... I did not know that they served lunch, I thought it was only take-out.  Funny.

LOVE those chairs.  I want them too however, I think they are $79/each.  Yuck  :unsure:     Maybe Tom and I can give them to each other as Christmas presents this year... I'll have to "let him know", that's what we're doing, haha  :lol:

You didn't say if it was cold (at night)...did it get chilly?

Uh-oh!  That was THE day of delivery madness.  I hope it ended well.

Cliffhanger!

The doll better have arrived unscathed.

If it didn't.....

One of us will get up!

Then we'll all get up!

It'll be anarchy!

I totally read this in a pirate/sons of anarchy type of voice. Inside of my head of course.  

Cliffhanger!

The doll better have arrived unscathed.

If it didn't.....

One of us will get up!

Then we'll all get up!

It'll be anarchy!

You are the king of movie lines. I bow in your greatness. 

Except for the missing doll, I'd say that y'all had a perfect morning at the Fort.

That's a great photo of Z with Ms. Josie.

I still have never had the Trail's End shrimp and grits.  I need to try those one of these days.

I am looking forward to hearing how the missing doll got resolved.  I remember Twin #2 telling me that there are CM's whose job it is to run and get merchandise for guests. I am hoping that they did that for Anna.

TCD

It was an excellent morning. Mrs. Josie is extra special to me since she taught Z to hula hoop last trip. She's great. 

You need to try the shrimp and grits! I will say they were better the first time I had them, but they were still good this time. 

I had a feeling they had a CM or two that could that could fix problems with lost gifts. That's why I set my expectation. Dave said it was OK if it was late, but it was a Christmas present, so I wanted them to make it right. 

Love the pics of Z in the hats.

I agree about Trail's End lunch.  Although I'd never turn down a meal there, no matter what time of day.

I can't justify the price of dinner (we GAG or do the HDDR), but I love breakfast and lunch there. 

Love the pic of Z in the cowboy hat :)   How much did the lunch at Trail's End cost?  Know what... I did not know that they served lunch, I thought it was only take-out.  Funny.

LOVE those chairs.  I want them too however, I think they are $79/each.  Yuck  :unsure:     Maybe Tom and I can give them to each other as Christmas presents this year... I'll have to "let him know", that's what we're doing, haha  :lol:

You didn't say if it was cold (at night)...did it get chilly?

Here's a link to the lunch menu. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/cabins-at-fort-wilderness-resort/trails-end-restaurant/menus/lunch/

It looks like my meal was $18 and Jason's was $13. I forgot to mention this, but I gave them my TIW card and got the 20% off even though Christmas Eve is technically blocked out. Winning! 

About the chairs... we have some of that style (not FW ones) and so do our friends. Theirs are like 4-5 years old and look brand new. Our older set has gone through 2 seasons of tailgating and camping and look perfect. They're well made. 

I think most nights were in the mid 60s. I think I put on a sweatshirt a couple nights. I know I never wore a jacket. Christmas Day was the coolest of the days. I think it was only in the 60s that day. 

Uh-oh!  That was THE day of delivery madness.  I hope it ended well.

I totally read this in a pirate/sons of anarchy type of voice. Inside of my head of course.  

Yes THAT was the day. What happened to your ornament? 

After lunch it was time for more Fort fun.

IMG_1603.jpg

The Statue of Liberty!

IMG_1605.jpg

Call me a bad parent, but I haven’t taught him about that yet. That public school education must be doing a few things right.

When Z sees this playground, there’s no keeping him away.

IMG_1606.jpg

It wasn’t busy. Nice!

IMG_1609.jpg

IMG_1611.jpg

He imitated a horse like he and his buddy D did this summer.

IMG_1612.jpg

Ipad lady comes to the Fort!

IMG_1614.jpg

Handsome boy

IMG_1618.jpg

It was time to hit the TCD Farm.

IMG_1620.jpg

IMG_1621.jpg

IMG_1622.jpg

The horse barn was closed. I’m guessing those guys are tired from all the sleigh rides.

IMG_1623.jpg

Cinderella’s ponies

IMG_1624.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

I honestly forgot they weren’t supposed to pet them, so don’t hate. Besides, that pony was begging.

IMG_1627.jpg

We have 3.5 inches and 42 pounds until Z is too big. I’m guessing we’ll hit the height limit first.

IMG_1628.jpg

IMG_1630.jpg

IMG_1631.jpg

IMG_5721.jpg

I think we headed back to our site at this point. I’d received a call that they found Elsa!!! Whoo Hoo! They told me I could come pick her up. I told them (very nicely) that I’d already been there twice about this doll, and I would like them to deliver it to my site. So they did. Dave came by and did the pick-up. Success! I was really glad they found it. I never found out how they got someone else’s name attached to it.

Then I think we went back to the Settlement to meet this guy.

IMG_5748.jpg

We were lucky because he wasn’t there long.

We looped around a bit. I remember we talked to Mary Ann and crew and wondered if the rain would continue to hold. Eventually, we headed towards the Trading Post because Jason needed something. I don’t remember what. We figured we could watch the parade from around there.

While Jason and Z were in the Trading Post, I spotted Judy. I got to talk to her for a bit, but not long enough.

Then the parade started, but that’s going to have to go in one post, so you’re going to have to wait a bit longer for that. 

The Statue of Liberty pic is awesomeness.

We thought so too.

Whew!!!

Boy are they lucky they found the doll.

Playgrounds rock! So do pony rides.

I agree on all fronts. The whole doll situation was totally weird, but they found it. 

Glad you had some nice weather!  Thanks for the menu :)

Looking forward to the parade pics! 

You should eat Trail's End lunch next trip. Here they come... 

OK, it’s time for the cart parade! In hindsight, we should have entered the cart parade. Santa gave Z an Olaf costume that was a hoot, and I’m sure I could have talked him into delivering it early. It would have been pretty funny. Oh well, it was fun to watch.

Some of the carts were all decked out and some were barely decorated. Oh well.

IMG_1640.jpg

Donald led the parade.

IMG_1641.jpg

IMG_1642.jpg

IMG_1643.jpg

IMG_1644.jpg

IMG_1645.jpg

I bet driving this one was difficult.

IMG_1646.jpg

IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

Some like this guy were handing out candy.

IMG_1650.jpg

IMG_1651.jpg

This cart is for sale if you’re in the market for a Frozen themed golf car that only seats 2 people.

IMG_1652.jpg

IMG_1653.jpg

IMG_1654.jpg

I loved this one.

IMG_1655.jpg

IMG_1657.jpg

That Olaf gets around.

IMG_1658.jpg

IMG_1659.jpg

Is this animal abuse? LOL

IMG_1660.jpg

IMG_1662.jpg

IMG_1663.jpg

This is where those Magic Band boxes that a CM was requesting went. Really cute idea!

IMG_1666.jpg

IMG_1667.jpg

So that was the parade, almost every cart in it. Apparently it was much smaller than usual. I’ve never seen it, so I don’t have anything to compare it to. I suspect weather might be partly to blame. It was looking pretty iffy right up until it was time for it. In any case, we enjoyed it.

I’ll finish up Christmas Eve in the next update. 

Riding a pony on Christmas Eve is pretty neat.

That golf cart parade was on the lame side.  There are many more entries in the Halloween and 4th of July parades.

Olaf costume?

I hope there are pictures!

TCD

Z loves the ponies. He's going to be bummed when he's too big.

Of course there are Olaf pictures... even better, there are pictures of Z as Olaf and Anna as Elsa TOGETHER. It's a ton of cuteness. 

Trails End?  Yes... we definitely need to eat lunch their next trip! :)

Parade was small, but they had some cute ones.  I really liked Santa's Toy Train (super cute!) and the Santa/reindeer cart :)

I thought the igloo was clever too. 

Wow!  Compared to the Halloween parade, that one was so small!

It was small. I'm excited to see the Halloween parade.