Surprise, Santa, and a Shiny new AP Holder… A GDF Trip Report

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, it’s time for another GDF trip report. This trip started small and ended up much bigger. Originally, I thought Z and I might drive down for a few days before Christmas to see some Disney lights

We’ve made it to December 26th, our last day. The plan for this day was to hit Animal Kingdom for a bit and then hang at the Fort and go to the Fiend Grand Gathering at DIT’s site.   We weren’t doing

Okay so I'm about half way done with this report.  It's keeping me sane on these hard days of adjustment.  We got home from China about a week and a half ago!  Yay!   Here's the boys at the airport!  

The picture of them hugging is definitely the cutest!

I love it too! 

That was worth waiting until Christmas for, thank you for the photo of them hugging.

You are very welcome! 

I forgot to comment on the fact that Z slept until 9:40 on Christmas morning.

You and Mr. GDF are hashtag blessed.

Oh, and I just realized that since DIT is your brother, then Anna and Z are cousins.

TCD

We are blessed for sure! Z has been a good sleeper ever since we did the "cry it out" bit" for a couple days when he was an infant. If we let him stay up late, he usually sleeps late too. I was worried about the boat horns waking us up, but that wasn't a problem at all. 

And you're right, they are cousins, and cute cousins at that. Sigh, I really miss my brother. 

What's wrong with that kid?  Ours were always up before 6 on Christmas morning ... much to our disappointment.

I think you mean, "what is RIGHT with that kid." :)

I think you mean, "what is RIGHT with that kid." :)

No, I mean what is wrong with that kid for sleeping so late on Christmas morning!  Too much to do and so little time!

When our kids were little we had a tradition.  We were always up before 6 to open presents.  Then we hurriedly dressed and drove out to my parents' house.  Dad cooked a huge breakfast.  Grapefruit and other fruits.  Country ham, bacon, sausage.  Then pancakes and French toast.  And whatever eggs and gravy we wanted. It was a huge feast.  He loved doing it.  And then opening gifts.

At lunchtime we drove to David's parents ... two brothers, one cousin ... opening gifts and yet another feast with his family.

I am sad remembering those days.  

No, I mean what is wrong with that kid for sleeping so late on Christmas morning!  Too much to do and so little time!

When our kids were little we had a tradition.  We were always up before 6 to open presents.  Then we hurriedly dressed and drove out to my parents' house.  Dad cooked a huge breakfast.  Grapefruit and other fruits.  Country ham, bacon, sausage.  Then pancakes and French toast.  And whatever eggs and gravy we wanted. It was a huge feast.  He loved doing it.  And then opening gifts.

At lunchtime we drove to David's parents ... two brothers, one cousin ... opening gifts and yet another feast with his family.

I guess it just depends on how you like celebrating. One of the beauties of this Christmas Day was that it was super relaxed. We got to go with the flow and didn't have to be rushed to go anywhere. There was no pressure... just time to relax and really reflect in the wonder of Christmas. 

Don't get me wrong, I love spending time with family, big family feasts, etc., and we do that all the time, but spending Christmas just the three of us was actually really special. 

I can so totally understand!

I'm not sure if we'll be able to swing it this year, but I'd like to make it a semi-tradition. 

I just got caught up. You are right that is the cutest pic ever.

And see, all the people who aren't reading are going to miss that in their lives. I feel bad for them. 

"The cutest picture ever". Says my DD. Also DD liked playing Z's Frozen Trouble game at DIT's site during the GG. I'm looking forward to that part of your TR. I hope that handsome guy from Oklahoma and his beautiful DD makes an appearance during the GG

She took the iPad from me and ran to show her mother. "The cutest picture ever".

I'm I the only one that LOL when you saw ANNA in her ELSA dress? Anna, Elsa. They're sisters. Ok someone else had to catch that. I bet Anna would look cute in her Anna dress also.

Time goes by, much too quickly, doesn't it my friend?  My babies were not easy to come by, many years of infertility and prayer... I am carefully enjoying each moment.  So thankful for them.

"The cutest picture ever". Says my DD. Also DD liked playing Z's Frozen Trouble game at DIT's site during the GG. I'm looking forward to that part of your TR. I hope that handsome guy from Oklahoma and his beautiful DD makes an appearance during the GG

She took the iPad from me and ran to show her mother. "The cutest picture ever".

I'm I the only one that LOL when you saw ANNA in her ELSA dress? Anna, Elsa. They're sisters. Ok someone else had to catch that. I bet Anna would look cute in her Anna dress also.

I'm glad she liked the picture! It is really cute. Of course you two will play a big part on the 26th, including the GG. I laughed about the Anna and Elsa thing too. I think Anna would look cute wearing anything!

All caught up! And of course, you didn't disappoint with the cutest picture!

It's a winner!

Cuteness overload!!!

My children have never been early risers either. When Drew was about 3 my sister called us Christmas morning around 10am to see if Drew was excited about what Santa had gotten him. I had to tell her he wasn't awake yet.

Nice! I love sleeping in, so I'm glad that Z does too. 

Time goes by, much too quickly, doesn't it my friend?  My babies were not easy to come by, many years of infertility and prayer... I am carefully enjoying each moment.  So thankful for them.

I Now Understand The Deeper Meaning To Your Feinds namE Nacole. Glad You Received Those Sweet Little ones.

Thank you... we are very blessed.

Time DOES go by quickly. So glad your prayers were answered! 

The adorable pictures made me smile this morning. Love Anna/Elsa and Olaf.  Also love barefooted Darth Vader. You are so lucky to have a kid that enjoys wearing costumes. Such fun for the Mom.

Z looooooves costumes. He'll even squeeze into his old Batman costume that's a size 3. It's Batman with capri pants. LOL! I should probably get him another one. 

It’s Mickey’s Backyard BBQ time! This meal gets mixed reviews, but we love it. This was our 3rd time eating here, and it is one of Z’s favorites. The character interaction is some of the best we’ve ever seen. There’s a key to having a lot of fun here though… you want to arrive EARLY. You might be thinking, “Kelly, you don’t wait in lines.” That’s usually true, but I make an exception for this. Plus, you can have a tasty beverage while you wait, and they usually bring out characters and have games for the kids to play. Christmas was a little different because they were running 2 shows back-to-back, but I’ll show we’re about to get to that.

We had tickets to the 6:00 dinner show. There was also one at 4:00 that day, but that is not usually the case. We arrived at 5:00, yes an hour early. If you go, do it. It’s worth it.

The old cage where Z and D like to pretend like birds is no longer there.

IMG_1745.jpg

Decorations on the old River Country ticket booth

IMG_1747.jpg

The 4:00 show is still going on.

IMG_1749.jpg

There are a few people in front of us, but not many. Nacole, did you notice Jason is wearing a fleece? This day was cooler.

IMG_1750.jpg

This meal is not cheap.

216d438a-d3db-45cb-80ea-5f8abc6bee6c.jpg

Scary right? I bet Chef Mickey’s is that much on Christmas Day too. At least we got beer and wine included.

Usually they open the line pretty early (like 45 minutes before the show), and the characters come out for pictures along the path, but the characters were still taking pictures after the show before, so that didn’t happen. The line started to build.

IMG_1752.jpg

You don’t want to be back there because it’s open seating.

While we waited, I chatted with a CM. I asked him what the menu was tonight (remember I couldn’t find it online). He said in the past they’d served a Christmas menu, but people complained and didn’t like it as much (I’d read that too), so this year they were serving the regular menu. I was excited about that, and so was Jason.

Eventually, they opened the line and took us to the entrance. Usually they have games here for the kids, but not tonight.

IMG_1753.jpg

What is this person doing?

IMG_1754.jpg

They’re ready for us.

IMG_1755.jpg

So like I said, it’s open seating. There is one stage with the main dance floor and too smaller dance floors to the side. You want to be around the edge of the main dance floor. We’ve sat on both sides, and this time we sat in the middle section. They’re all pretty much the same. CMs will remind you that there are 3 dance floors, and that’s true, BUT the middle is where all the rope tricks, etc. happen. That’s where you want to be. I’d sit kids closest to the edge next to the stage.

It’s time to check out the food!

Salads

IMG_1757.jpg

IMG_1758.jpg

Veggies and pasta salad

IMG_1759.jpg

Hot dogs and burgers

IMG_1760.jpg

BBQ

IMG_1761.jpg

Cornbread

IMG_1762.jpg

Chicken and beans

IMG_1763.jpg

Mac and cheese and corn

IMG_1764.jpg

Ribs

IMG_1765.jpg

If you’ve eaten at the HDDR or Trail’s End, you’ve probably had some of this stuff. It all comes from the same place. Personally, I like the food.

My plate, yes I’m pigging out.

IMG_1766.jpg

One benefit of sitting next to the stage is that Z can get dancing and come around for breaks and eat.

Ohhhh…. He sees his crush, Margo, on the stage.

IMG_1768.jpg

And the kids get dancing.

IMG_1769.jpg

The music was a mix of country and Christmas songs.

Characters come out and do a good job dancing and making their way around the dance floor to give lots of kids the chance to dance with them.

IMG_1771-1.jpg

You can see from his face that Z is having a BLAST!

IMG_1773.jpg

Lots of these pictures are blurry, but they give you an idea of what goes on.

IMG_1776.jpg

IMG_1780.jpg

In the past, the characters didn’t mingle in the seated crowd, but this time they did.

IMG_1781.jpg

Donald messing with Jason

IMG_1783.jpg

Chip and Z spent a lot of time together that night.

IMG_1786.jpg

They take dancing breaks and have a guy who does rope tricks come out. This is one of the reasons being near the main dance floor is good.

IMG_1787.jpg

Here’s the crowd. Beer and wine are in that back corner. Soda machines are along the back.

IMG_1791.jpg

I think that’s 30, so I’m going to have to break this into 2 parts. 

I've always wondered about the Backyard BBQ so thanks for posting!

The food looks great to me, way better than I expected!

That's great the characters mingled with the seated tables, that was one complaint I always heard, that you couldn't get pictures with the characters.  Another complaint was adults that would try to stop characters from dancing so their kid could get a picture with them.

That is a pricey meal but is the cost much different than the HDDR?

WBI

The Backyard BBQ looks like fun.

But, at those prices, it would cost the TCD gang $314.93 to eat ribs and baked beans (if all 5 of us went).

That's not going to happen.

TCD

It's a spendy meal. That said, you definitely aren't their target audience. LOL! 

I've always wondered about the Backyard BBQ so thanks for posting!

The food looks great to me, way better than I expected!

That's great the characters mingled with the seated tables, that was one complaint I always heard, that you couldn't get pictures with the characters.  Another complaint was adults that would try to stop characters from dancing so their kid could get a picture with them.

That is a pricey meal but is the cost much different than the HDDR?

WBI

It's about the same as the HDDR, maybe less than Tier 1 seating. There are posed photo ops (usually before but this time it was after). You can see the kids have a blast with the dancing. It's a much more interactive experience than regular character meals. 

Looks a little cooler but not too bad so yay!! :)    I agree with you, not cheap... but the food is PERFECT for me (minus the chocolate cake... they really need chocolate cake to make it completely perfect ;) ).  If you can swing it, it's definitely worth doing once or twice in a lifetime.  Love the pics, Z looks like he had a great time :)

Looks a little cooler but not too bad so yay!! :)    I agree with you, not cheap... but the food is PERFECT for me (minus the chocolate cake... they really need chocolate cake to make it completely perfect ;) ).  If you can swing it, it's definitely worth doing once or twice in a lifetime.  Love the pics, Z looks like he had a great time :)

I was really worried about the temperature because I knew the sun would be setting, but it wasn't bad. I would love the addition of chocolate cake. I did pretty good on dessert though, which you'll see. 

Wonder how much this costs on a non-holiday.

The food pretty much looks like the TE dinner buffet.

It's about the same price on a non-holiday. The food for Trail's End, the HDDR, and MBBBQ are pretty much the same. The difference is that the two shows have entertainment and adult beverages included. The BBQ also has characters. 

That's the kind of prices that we paid for HDDR, Chef Mickey's, and 'OHanas this past summer. Love the pics. The cutest picture ever really was. The hug and smile looking at Z were precious!

You're making me feel bad for not updating my TR...

It's expensive, but you're right.... it's about the same as all those. `Ohana is the cheapest of those options but doesn't have characters at dinner.

Update your TR! 

They have really expanded their food options. We took the oldest boys there 10 years ago and they didn't have chicken salad or hamburgers and I think dessert was icecream and maybe something else. I remember hotdogs, beans, corn and chicken.  It was really good and we had a fun time but I wouldn't do it again. Kind of a once is enough kind of thing.