Surprise, Santa, and a Shiny new AP Holder… A GDF Trip Report

I am! Right now!

Good! :)

They have really expanded their food options. We took the oldest boys there 10 years ago and they didn't have chicken salad or hamburgers and I think dessert was icecream and maybe something else. I remember hotdogs, beans, corn and chicken.  It was really good and we had a fun time but I wouldn't do it again. Kind of a once is enough kind of thing.

We went about a year and a half before this, and it was mostly the same. They've added the pulled pork. We're obviously crazy because we've done it 3 times, but look at Z's face! It was worth it. 

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, it’s time for another GDF trip report. This trip started small and ended up much bigger. Originally, I thought Z and I might drive down for a few days before Christmas to see some Disney lights

We’ve made it to December 26th, our last day. The plan for this day was to hit Animal Kingdom for a bit and then hang at the Fort and go to the Fiend Grand Gathering at DIT’s site.   We weren’t doing

Okay so I'm about half way done with this report.  It's keeping me sane on these hard days of adjustment.  We got home from China about a week and a half ago!  Yay!   Here's the boys at the airport!  

Continuing on with the Backyard BBQ and Christmas Day… I love how Dale just plopped down and watched the rope tricks with the kids.

IMG_1793.jpg

Time to dance with Goofy

IMG_1796.jpg

IMG_1797.jpg

More Chip, love Z’s face

IMG_1804.jpg

I was ready for dessert. They do keep serving regular food for awhile, but they reduce the number of lines.

IMG_1813.jpg

Here’s the dessert area. There is cobbler and frozen bars.

IMG_1814.jpg

Yum

IMG_1811.jpg

Whipped topping

IMG_1812.jpg

Ice cream and popsicles

IMG_1809.jpg

IMG_1810.jpg

My plate!

IMG_1815.jpg

There were lighted rope tricks and more dancing.

IMG_1817.jpg

After the show, Z had to go see his girl Margo. She’s been the singer every time we’ve gone, and he has a bit of a crush on her.

IMG_1825.jpg

Archival footage… On Z’s 4th birthday, he laid one on her.

IMG_1756.jpg

This time, she gave him a smooch!

IMG_1826.jpg

He was a little embarrassed. LOL!

We had to drag Z out of there. He still wanted to dance!

IMG_1830.jpg

But there were characters to meet! I wish we could have done this at the beginning like usual, so it would have been daylight, but oh well. As Jason points out, we have no shortage of pictures with characters.

The lines were relatively short or nonexistent for everyone except Mickey and Minnie. Usually Mickey is on the dance floor, but for the Christmas meal he and Minnie were taking pictures all night.

IMG_5778.jpg

IMG_1837.jpg

IMG_1844.jpg

IMG_5801.jpg

Even the Mickey and Minnie line was only about 10 minutes.

After that, it was time to head back to the campsite with stuffed bellies.

We put Z to bed and made another fire. The Loof lighter we use for the BGE is great for starting fires too.

IMG_1850.jpg

We relaxed and reflected on an awesome Christmas Day. Even with the Backyard BBQ, it was pretty low-key. After all, we just had to hop on the cart and drive for a couple minutes to get there. Of course, this is always the night I start to get a little sad. Tomorrow is the 26th, our last day. It will be one for the books though! We’ll start the day with Animal Kingdom and end it with a bunch of Fiends! (Yes Ray, you’re finally going to make your appearance!)

Stay tuned… Something is going to happen in the next update that I thought I’d never live to see!

What a great Christmas day!  I'm jealous.  Maybe one day we'll be rich enough to take the family to WDW over Christmas ... who am I kidding, that's just wishful thinking.  16 people?  With only two RVs, that means also two cabins ... seeing many dollar signs.  How many people can a cabin sleep?

What a great Christmas day!  I'm jealous.  Maybe one day we'll be rich enough to take the family to WDW over Christmas ... who am I kidding, that's just wishful thinking.  16 people?  With only two RVs, that means also two cabins ... seeing many dollar signs.  How many people can a cabin sleep?

Cabins over Christmas were $500 a night. Yikes! There are cheaper ways, but maybe all the families could chip in? 

A cabin can sleep 6, but getting a site and renting an RV is cheaper than a cabin, and then you can also put those that are willing in behind the RVs in a tent!

That would be the way to do it. 

You have so many pictures in here that will be great for your Christmas cards next year. You are sending out those huge 11x14 cards right? I think you could fit all the pictures on there.

I do need to use some of these! 

Whew!

Caught up and ready for more.

What an awesome way to spend Christmas.

MBBBQ looks like a lot of fun. When we go we will definitely go early to get a good table. Thanks for the tip.

The pic of Jason waiting in line made me laugh. He didn't look happy to be there. Lol

Z looked like he was dancing up a storm.

Do Z's other girlfriends no about Margo? One of these days one of his girlfriends is going to read one of your TRs and Z is going to be in big, big trouble. Lol.

Loof lighter? I had to google it. I want one!

A cabin can sleep 6, but getting a site and renting an RV is cheaper than a cabin, and then you can also put those that are willing in behind the RVs in a tent!

Cabins over Christmas were $500 a night. Yikes! There are cheaper ways, but maybe all the families could chip in? 

Disappointed.  I thought cabins could sleep more than 6.  Oh, well.  It's only a pipe dream anyway.  The families wouldn't be able to chip in a lot.  We'd be paying probably 90%.

I can't get over how adorable Z is! And good job getting all of the food pictures from the BBQ!

Well thank you! 

Whew!

Caught up and ready for more.

What an awesome way to spend Christmas.

MBBBQ looks like a lot of fun. When we go we will definitely go early to get a good table. Thanks for the tip.

The pic of Jason waiting in line made me laugh. He didn't look happy to be there. Lol

Z looked like he was dancing up a storm.

Do Z's other girlfriends no about Margo? One of these days one of his girlfriends is going to read one of your TRs and Z is going to be in big, big trouble. Lol.

Loof lighter? I had to google it. I want one!

Z's girls don't know about each other.... yet. His birthday party could be interesting because 2 of his girlfriends will be there. LOL!

The Loof lighter is expensive but very cool. 

I'm moving on to the 26th now, so you're about to make a TR appearance. Are you ready? 

Wow... seriously!  That's insane  :dropjaw:

Yep! They did end up going on sale but were still over $350 a night. 

Disappointed.  I thought cabins could sleep more than 6.  Oh, well.  It's only a pipe dream anyway.  The families wouldn't be able to chip in a lot.  We'd be paying probably 90%.

Renting RVs would be the way to go. 

I like how all the characters are dressed in their Christmas outfits for the Backyard BBQ.

I'm glad to see that Z still is on his game with the ladies.

Did you smuggle any Mickey bars out of there this time?

TCD

I love that the characters were dressed for Christmas. It made it extra festive.

You remember about the Mickey bars! LOL! I was good this time. 

We’ve made it to December 26th, our last day. The plan for this day was to hit Animal Kingdom for a bit and then hang at the Fort and go to the Fiend Grand Gathering at DIT’s site.

We weren’t doing RD. We really just planned to do some FPs and grab lunch somewhere.

It was a beautiful day!

IMG_1853.jpg

We headed to the Outpost to catch a bus.

IMG_1854.jpg

The bus wasn’t crowded at all!

IMG_1855.jpg

Bus selfie

IMG_1856.jpg

The traffic going into the MK was INSANE. Our bus driver had to take a special route to avoid it.

IMG_1858.jpg

We arrived and headed to the entrance.

No big line at the bag check. Crowds didn’t seem too bad at all.

IMG_1860.jpg

Closer of the Animal Kingdom tree. I think it’s pretty cool!

IMG_1861.jpg

We had some business to take care of because heading into the park. We needed to upgrade Jason’s ticket to an annual pass. That’s right! Mr. Anti-Disney is now a shiny, new AP holder! Can you believe it? I mentioned at the beginning of the trip that I had the CM run some numbers for me. I figured out that it was only $14 more to upgrade him to an AP vs. pay the ticket cost of this trip plus our April trip… and we know we’re coming for Halloween too. So it just made sense, but still makes me laugh.

Sorry, this is the shortest update of all time. I have to run. More later! 

Congrats to Mr. Anti-Disney!

It was exciting! 

Maybe you all will get lucky and squeeze in an extra trip... since you have the APs and all :)

You never know.... 

Wow, you are all Passholders now.  Congratulations.

There should be more GDF TR's than ever in 2015.

TCD

Well, I'm not sure about that... but there will be at least 2 more this year... maybe more. 

What? That's it? Where's the cute pix of Z with the ladies?

No Devine? No pood forn?

There better some epic pix coming up. Lol.

Sorry, that update was unexpectedly cut short. But double sorry because the next update doesn't have any of that stuff either. But hey, you're almost "here."

OK, back to Animal Kingdom. After taking care of our exciting business we had a little time to kill before our first FP, so we headed to Dinosaur.

IMG_1863.jpg

I’d like to camp here.

IMG_1864.jpg

Interesting fact, we’d never ridden this ride before. For awhile, I had no interest. Then, it was broken a couple times. Once we got all the way to the loading area and it broke.

IMG_1865.jpg

Z enjoyed checking out all this stuff.

IMG_1866.jpg

Roar!

IMG_1867.jpg

The posted wait was 20 minutes but www.easywdw.com/waits told me it would be 11 minutes. Josh was right.

IMG_1868.jpg

Here's our ride photo.

PhotoPass_Visiting_Disneys_Animal_Kingdo

So what were our thoughts? Z LOVED all the items along the queue. He wanted to stay longer and look at stuff (the line was moving). He thought the ride was so-so. I had warned him that a dinosaur was going to jump out at some point, so we made it kind of a game to find it. 

We headed towards the safari, avoiding this place.

IMG_1872.jpg

We passed Russell on the way.

IMG_1874.jpg

Lots of walls…

IMG_1875.jpg

We stopped for a photo op.

Entered Africa

IMG_1877.jpg

It was more crowded back here.

IMG_1878.jpg

Safari time!

IMG_1879.jpg

Glad we’re on the right side of this line.

IMG_1880.jpg

Z was super excited to look at the paper given to him by a CM to see what animals he could find. He had a pen and was ready!

IMG_1883.jpg

You’ve all seen safari pictures, but here are more.

IMG_1885.jpg

IMG_1889.jpg

IMG_1891.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

IMG_1893.jpg

IMG_1899.jpg

After the safari it was time for a banana and some drumming.

IMG_1902.jpg

This is pretty much the only place to take a picture of the Tree of Life without tons of walls.

IMG_1904.jpg

Can you tell where we’re going?

IMG_1906.jpg

Did you guess… here?

IMG_1907.jpg

We’re heading to Everest for Z’s first ride in the next update! 

Wait.  Y'all took your first ride on Dinosaur, and no photo?  No comment?  My oldest daughter hated that ride.  As a result, the twins refused to go, even when they were tall enough.  After the ride went down for a refurbishment, and they lowered the height requirement, I heard that the ride was less intense, so I convinced all three girls to go.  They all hated it.  Really hated it.  And, it's a famous story in our family now about how I tricked them to go on it.  They still hate it, because that dinosaur at the end still scares the bejeezus out of them.  But, we ride it almost every time we go to AK.

I've never seen an animal guide sheet like that one Z got.  I want one.

TCD

That's a much better update.

Y'all's first time riding Dinisaur and no comment? Did you like it? Hate it?

I've seen those animal guides either. Except at AKL. DD woke up early every morning just stand in the balconey and check animals off of her guide. I wonder if it's the same guide.

Can you take a close up shot of it? If you still have it.

I've never taken Bailey on the dinosaur ride... then again, she hates anything rough or scary so, pretty sure I wouldn't live that down (if I tried).  Tom and I rode it several years ago... but he's had 3 back surgeries since so, probably not the best ride for us now (the safari ride can be very tough on him, if we don't get a careful driver).

Giraffes are my favorite animals... I just think they are so pretty!  Either you has some really close visitors, or a really great lens ;) 

Wait.  Y'all took your first ride on Dinosaur, and no photo?  No comment?  My oldest daughter hated that ride.  As a result, the twins refused to go, even when they were tall enough.  After the ride went down for a refurbishment, and they lowered the height requirement, I heard that the ride was less intense, so I convinced all three girls to go.  They all hated it.  Really hated it.  And, it's a famous story in our family now about how I tricked them to go on it.  They still hate it, because that dinosaur at the end still scares the bejeezus out of them.  But, we ride it almost every time we go to AK.

I've never seen an animal guide sheet like that one Z got.  I want one.

TCD

Big fail on my part. I blame Jason for distracting me while I was writing. I added this above....

So what were our thoughts? Z LOVED all the items along the queue. He wanted to stay longer and look at stuff (the line was moving). He thought the ride was so-so. I had warned him that a dinosaur was going to jump out at some point, so we made it kind of a game to find it. 

We all agreed it was so-so. Z liked the queue and the store more than the ride. That's not a good sign! 

We got the animal sheet at the ticket window. I've never seen one before either. 

That's a much better update.

Y'all's first time riding Dinisaur and no comment? Did you like it? Hate it?

I've seen those animal guides either. Except at AKL. DD woke up early every morning just stand in the balconey and check animals off of her guide. I wonder if it's the same guide.

Can you take a close up shot of it? If you still have it.

OK, I stink. See comment and report addition above. 

I don't still have the sheet (at least I don't know where it is). Sorry! They gave it to him at the ticket window. 

I've never taken Bailey on the dinosaur ride... then again, she hates anything rough or scary so, pretty sure I wouldn't live that down (if I tried).  Tom and I rode it several years ago... but he's had 3 back surgeries since so, probably not the best ride for us now (the safari ride can be very tough on him, if we don't get a careful driver).

Giraffes are my favorite animals... I just think they are so pretty!  Either you has some really close visitors, or a really great lens ;)

Based on that, it doesn't sound like Bailey should ride. Z was OK with it but didn't love it. He loves the Haunted Mansion but hates the witch at the end of the 7DMT. Aren't kids weird?

The giraffe pictures were taken with my phone they were very close. 

I agree, no comment on how Z did on Dinosaur? How did you like it?

That last dinosaur freaks us out yet we ride it every trip.

I should be fired as a TR writer. See addition above. 

Big fail on my part. I blame Jason for distracting me while I was writing. I added this above....

That's better.

But something isn't right.  Everyone looks perfectly calm and happy in that photo.  That dinosaur must not have been functioning properly.

TCD