Surprise, Santa, and a Shiny new AP Holder… A GDF Trip Report

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, it’s time for another GDF trip report. This trip started small and ended up much bigger. Originally, I thought Z and I might drive down for a few days before Christmas to see some Disney lights

We’ve made it to December 26th, our last day. The plan for this day was to hit Animal Kingdom for a bit and then hang at the Fort and go to the Fiend Grand Gathering at DIT’s site.   We weren’t doing

Okay so I'm about half way done with this report.  It's keeping me sane on these hard days of adjustment.  We got home from China about a week and a half ago!  Yay!   Here's the boys at the airport!  

Looks like so much fun!!  Glad the weather cooperated :)  No worries on the golf seats, I think they still look great :)   That little green egg (smoker is it?), cracks me up.  I'm looking forward to the event at SM in October... it will be an education, I'm sure!  This is another one of those things that, before fortfiends, I have never heard of.  Funny thing is, now that I'm aware of them... I see them all the time :)   Oh, the yeti thing too; Three Way Campers is actually throwing one it (but the ones they have, look more like a standard rectangular box) when you purchase a new camper.

Looks like such a fun time! And it looks like the ham came out great. Can I ask, in that first picture with Jason and the BGE, what is that thing he's putting in it? Or am I being an idiot...is he lighting it?

He's using a Loof Lighter. They're pretty cool and light a grill or camp fire very quickly.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD4TirOHEqI

What's wrong with drinking out of a yeti cup next to your yeti cooler. I know someone who may have done the same thing.

Well, I just like to make fun of him. It keeps our marriage strong. 

Best update ever!!!

I saw the golf cart seats. It's barely noticable. Jason did a great job on them.

I was a bit worried about Z being around my DD but he was on his best behavior. Lol. Great pix of the two of them. He is such a great kid.

Dd and I ran over to the MK to get my DAS card and since we had a little time to kill before the GG we took a few pix.

For me I'm always a little nervous meeting people for the first time but I had met half of the fiends before and the nervousness went away in about 10 seconds. That's what fiends do oh so well. I don't think fiends know a stranger.

Thanks to the fiend kids for making my Gracie feel so welcome. When we got there Z, Stella,

And I believe the other sweet girl there was Brandy's daughter. They came up to Gracie and asked her to play Olaf Trouble. I love how the fiend kids instantly became friends and played with each other the whole night.

It was so nice seeing old fiends and meeting new ones.

I wasn't taste-testing the ham. I was eating as much as I could. It was stinkin awesome! And so was the rest of the food. I thnk my DD ate her body weight in BBQ Little Smokies.

Oh boy! Green Death!

Some of you may have tried it and some of you have only heard of this biers side effects. Well let me tell they stories are true.

Luckily I was driving (or would have drank a lot more of it) so DIT was kind enough get me cup and I shared it with 3 other fiends. But that was enough. About 5 minutes after drinking it I was telling a story and right in the middle of my story I forgot what I was talking about. The Green Death got me. But I really enjoyed it. It's a good bier. Thanks DIT.

Hey Jason worked hard in that ham. Let him enjoy his yeti.

Anna hugs! Yes a Anna hug is all it's cracked up to be. She is an absolute sweety Just like her mom and the rest of the DIT girls I had the pleasure of meeting.

Thanks DIT and INC for your hospitality. What an awesome night.

Fiends and Fiend kids are awesome! And you're right; there are no strangers among us. 

All the food was awesome! While it was supposed to be "apps," I'm sure everyone was full by the end. 

The seats aren't a huge deal. I think they'll last another year without the wear being too bad. You really do have to look for it. 

For some reason I forgot I had a camera in my hand, I guess I was to busy talking. Lol.

But I did get one or two pix. Here's one I took towards the end of the GG.

That's DIT and INC's two youngest daughters Stella and Anna. And my DD Gracie. My DD loved playing with those two, and Z all night.

imagejpg1_zps05749ff1.jpg

Thanks Jason..Katman for fixing the pix

Thanks for adding a picture. More cuteness! 

Looks like you all had such a great time!

We really did! 

Side note, I’ve always loved this bus/food stand.

IMG_1908.jpg

I wanted to comment on this photo, but I needed to hunt down a different photo first.

When we are in that neighborhood, we often stop for ice cream at that truck.

The last time we were there, Twin #2 said that something was different about the truck. 

She was right- here's how it used to look:

ice%20cream%20truck_zpsvn2ubfwp.jpg

TCD

Good work on the tr. you guys really did have a great trip.

It was an awesome trip. I'm really hoping I can talk Jason into a repeat this year. 

That is an epic update!

I think it's great that Mr. GDF posed with his Yeti cup next to his Yeti cooler.  If I had a Yeti cup and cooler, I'd do the same.

That ham looks great.  My resistance to buying a BGE is weakening.

TCD

The GG was a blast! 

Mr. GDF is a huge dork, but I love him. 

The ham is good, simple but good. You would enjoy a BGE. Remember, I didn't believe the hype until we bought one. 

It’s time for a short update. I’m going to finish up December 26th. This report is almost over. This was our last night. Don’t worry though; there’s still some fun to be had on the 27th.

My Disney shirt Kid at Heart has been featured in this report, and it’s very accurate for me. Earlier in the day when Ray and his DD were at our site. I asked Ray if they’d be up for riding Space Mountain later. I had a rider switch pass and hadn’t gotten to ride it yet. He said probably. I *might* have also mentioned it to his DD to seal the deal. See, I’m bad.

So once people were leaving the GG, I headed to the MK with Ray and his DD. Jason was nice enough to stay behind with Z and help Dave clean up. Yep, I’m irresponsible. I blame the Green Death.

This is one of the things I’ve loved about having an AP. I can head to the MK just to ride a ride and come back. I wouldn't have paid for a hopper just to do that. 

We arrived as the fireworks started.

IMG_1978.jpg

IMG_1980.jpg

IMG_1987.jpg

And we headed to Space.

PhotoPass_Visiting_Magic_Kingdom_Park_71

I tried to talk them into staying longer, but Ray is more responsible than me.

Pictures on our way out

IMG_1999.jpg

IMG_2003.jpg

IMG_2004.jpg

And that’s all for December 26th. Tomorrow, we head home, but Z and I make a little side trip before we hit the road. 

I wanted to comment on this photo, but I needed to hunt down a different photo first.

The last time we were there, Twin #2 said that something was different about the truck.

TCD

Not only does it look different but it's a differnet bus. Look closely at the front grill, also the front door. That's a different hood. They switched buses on us.

TCD

We must have posted at the same time. Twin #2 has a good eye!

Ill comment on your update in a little bit. I need to upload a few pix from that night.

And yes Kelly and my DD ganged up on me and made me go to the MK to ride Space Mountain. Lol.

Uh oh... more pictures?  :bugeyes:

Just found out today they are making a new yeti hopper that is smaller called the 20 we have the 30. So you might need to buy your husband the smaller one. It would carry on the golf cart easier around the fort.

I've heard about it, but I'm keeping it secret from Jason. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Not only does it look different but it's a differnet bus. Look closely at the front grill, also the front door. That's a different hood. They switched buses on us.

Wow.  I think you're right.  I did notice the difference with the front door and the part over the cab, but I thought it was just cosmetic changes.  Looking more closely now, I see the shape of the front wheel well is different, and the whole front end has a different shape.  I wondered how they could have made those changes on the truck, as I don't remember hearing that it was ever gone.  Maybe they just pulled the old one out one night and wheeled the new one in.

And, GDF, nice work heading to the MK to ride one ride.  That's how we roll in the TCD gang too.  It's so easy to do if you've got a site on the 100 loop.

TCD

Wow.  I think you're right.  I did notice the difference with the front door and the part over the cab, but I thought it was just cosmetic changes.  Looking more closely now, I see the shape of the front wheel well is different, and the whole front end has a different shape.  I wondered how they could have made those changes on the truck, as I don't remember hearing that it was ever gone.  Maybe they just pulled the old one out one night and wheeled the new one in.

And, GDF, nice work heading to the MK to ride one ride.  That's how we roll in the TCD gang too.  It's so easy to do if you've got a site on the 100 loop.

TCD

I kind of remember that truck being behind a wall. I wonder if Josh took pics of it, and I saw it there. Or I could just be imagining it.

We really enjoyed the 100 loop, TCD!

All good things come to an end, and we’re almost there. It’s December 27th, check out day. I forgot to mention that Jason suggested we extend our stay the night before. (Yes, Mr. I Don’t Like Disney suggested that!) Sadly, everything was booked. I even begged and pleaded at the front desk. We considered getting a hotel room, but the only one was around $1000 a night, and that wasn’t in the budget.  

So we had to leave on the 27th. Bummer.

But Jason did suggest that I take Z to the MK while he got the RV ready. So, I did.

The last time down the path of awesomeness.

IMG_2008.jpg

A boat was about to arrive.

IMG_2010.jpg

Boat Selfie

IMG_2011.jpg

Almost there.

6D9D466E-479B-47E7-AACC-2A25DA171B2D.jpg

Blue monorail

5BBC1325-73B0-4790-96B9-994BE397BDC0.jpg

Z walked in like he owned the place.

C6082298-A9A0-4E99-9D7D-C1BEF99F7F86.jpg

I like how the Emporium windows are decorated.

A2421949-CF91-40B8-A044-CAA629AA3680.jpg

Goodbye Castle Selfie

IMG_2018.jpg

I had set up FP+ for us late the night before. First up was one of Z’s favorite… the HM!

796E5097-F489-4A6C-B7C6-228987710574.jpg

Good thing because it already had a good sized line. I could definitely tell that the days after Christmas were busier than the days before.

C02F3DCD-997F-4603-87CF-D4776678B9B6.jpg

Once we got out of the stretching room, all hell broke loose. The picture is dark, but can you see how many people are crammed in? I’ve never seen it like this.

0A7F5FC0-505A-4B10-9D52-D075F844FDFA.jpg

It was an awful bottleneck.

We survived that. I think I took this picture because it was the end of the line once we left.

D949AA78-AB1C-45DF-B28B-7E2E3524DF23.jpg

We had some time to kill, so we did something I hadn’t done in a long time… explore the Swiss Family Tree House. I’m not sure Z had ever seen it.

E482D1F9-87EC-4F93-911F-9DCD7AECCC11.jpg

At least the queue wasn’t full!

62B63D7D-01DA-4595-99F8-A290EA003876.jpg

But there was a bit of a line. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen that.

A672FEA6-A320-44B4-B0F3-04CFF59531D0.jpg

Here we go!

27836DEA-26FC-436E-9A04-9BDD8CD13C02.jpg

EF7BD87D-D2FF-4E3C-8442-BDB78E2C9865.jpg

I love the castle view from here.

0394D800-EFB2-426C-92A9-9CA8A4F6D2A2.jpg

I could live with this kitchen.

5FEC995E-06F2-44B3-86B1-5D430A9505D7.jpg

40 minutes at the flying carpets is a bad day.

B1DE11FE-38B1-4E24-AB7E-E3F787A6983E.jpg

Z cooled off

E2390F18-B0CE-4154-912B-EB3E799B5BBF.jpg

And then we headed for our last ride of the trip, Pirates of the Caribbean!

F0575BB6-B4BA-4B7E-8318-F9C4F4BA5567.jpg

People who must not know how to book FP+.

23C901B5-D704-4DAA-98BE-1F311CD5134C.jpg

70A5DCAE-DFC9-43A2-B105-D5449A86C640.jpg

Hey look, they were seating people on the back row. Has the concern about people losing fingers passed?

9A143B3F-1849-4BC8-B2A0-7D4349273F71.jpg

Yo Ho!

AF4699BC-6544-48C7-8912-4B5A3592BD66.jpg

94AD68A6-7FF7-45FF-BFDD-DA5BFCB4AAD9.jpg

After the ride, it was time to head back to the Fort and get on the road, so we said goodbye to the Magic Kingdom and jumped on a boat.

Water bridge

9E6D719A-186E-4EE7-A6CE-63CF61215956.jpg

Our boat was being chased.

65AE7262-911D-46DD-9589-E7C16E0BC5AB.jpg

I have a few pictures left, so I’ll include those and my final thoughts in the next (and last) update. 

We have encountered that mob scene in the Haunted Mansion a few times lately.  They're definitely doing something different, because that never used to happen.  Here's a free TCD tip -when you find a mob like that there, get all the way over to the left, and walk along the wall.  You will move faster than the rest of the knuckleheads who don't know what they're doing.

That's strange that they were seating guests in the back row of the Pirates boats.  Even in Disneyland, in early December, they weren't.  Twin #1 told me that they were not seating in the back rows in all the Pirate rides in all the parks because of that incident.  I wonder if your CM's didn't get the memo, or if they have suspended that rule.

40 minutes for the flying carpets?  Yowsah.

TCD

Good thing because it already had a good sized line. I could definitely tell that the days after Christmas were busier than the days before.

We definitely found that in 2012. The crowd levels exploded from before vs. after Christmas.

Sorry to hear that you guys couldn't extend your stay! I was wondering if you could have done an off-site Disney campground, but you aren't towing a car. Guess that's what you need to figure out next! :)

We have encountered that mob scene in the Haunted Mansion a few times lately.  They're definitely doing something different, because that never used to happen.  Here's a free TCD tip -when you find a mob like that there, get all the way over to the left, and walk along the wall.  You will move faster than the rest of the knuckleheads who don't know what they're doing.

That's strange that they were seating guests in the back row of the Pirates boats.  Even in Disneyland, in early December, they weren't.  Twin #1 told me that they were not seating in the back rows in all the Pirate rides in all the parks because of that incident.  I wonder if your CM's didn't get the memo, or if they have suspended that rule.

40 minutes for the flying carpets?  Yowsah.

TCD

I think they're releasing both stretching rooms too close together. I know to stand near the umbrella lady, so I was one of the first out of our room. 

I'm wondering if they suspended the rule at Pirates as well.

And can you believe people actually wait 40 minutes for that ride?

We definitely found that in 2012. The crowd levels exploded from before vs. after Christmas.

Sorry to hear that you guys couldn't extend your stay! I was wondering if you could have done an off-site Disney campground, but you aren't towing a car. Guess that's what you need to figure out next! :)

It's was a bummer we couldn't extend. And yes, we had to stay on-site because we didn't have a car. The truth was, we really just wanted to hang at the Fort. 

So sad that your TR is coming to an end!  How sweet of Jason to stay behind working and suggesting that you and Z go to MK one last time.

Look forward to your final thoughts.

I'm sad too. And yes, it was nice of Jason to let us go play a bit. He's a pretty great guy! 

We have encountered the mob at the HM before. TCD is right stay to the left and move forward slowly without notice. Once detected people freak out that you are getting ahead of their brainless choice to stay in the dead center of the room. I have to admit these crazy lines worry me. I am going to have to rethink how we have always done MK. 

We have encountered the mob at the HM before. TCD is right stay to the left and move forward slowly without notice. Once detected people freak out that you are getting ahead of their brainless choice to stay in the dead center of the room. I have to admit these crazy lines worry me. I am going to have to rethink how we have always done MK. 

The plans at easwdw.com work really well. DIT used them with his family and really liked them.