Our kids, especially our oldest, can be very sensitive.  We took Boo to Mickey's Not so Scary Halloween back in 2011 when she was almost 5 and did NOT have a good time because part of the parade and show (on the castle) scared her.  She has a VERY vivid imagination.  During our last trip in October, I almost got her to ride the HM...we made it as far as just before you got on the ride and she looked so completely terrified that I could not bring myself to take her on the ride (I asked her if she wanted to leave instead of riding it and she practically ran out the door).  She'll make a wonderful writer someday with that imagination of her but, for now, it can stir up some fear.

Question that I have is Halloween night at the Fort.  I've seen the decorations (mostly from pics here and videos on youtube) and some of them are not Disney (aka cute) but more on the dark side.  If we decided to go for Halloween... for those of you who are Halloween/Fort pros, do you think we'll have a problem?  Would you say that most of the of the decorations and people walking around look cute... or is there a good amount of scary?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For the record, we are freely accepting hooligans who want to hand out candy. Before Christmas, we had only done premium, so that's what we booked.

It's funny how nothing ever changes at the Fort.   This is a photo from Halloween night, 2010- 5 years ago. Halloween was on a Sunday then.  We were on the 700 loop, and you can see the non-stop line

I'd say it's a mix.

There are plenty of displays of just lights and cute blow-ups - probably the majority - but there are also usually some cemetery-type displays with skeletons, scary lighting, etc.

I'd say the same is true of costumes on Halloween night - a lot of Disney characters and regular ol' costumes (Spiderman, random princesses, etc.), but usually a few scary ones in the mix as well.

BUT, most of the more elaborate displays have to be seen up close to appreciate their spookiness and as of the last few years they are NOT on the main drag, they have been back in the loops, (500, 1600, etc.) So you really have to go looking for them to see them.

So if you are riding the buses to your loop or on bikes or a cart back and forth to the Meadows, Settlement, or Outpost, I doubt they will be in your face.

Just hopefully, you won't be right next door to one of the meany sites.

From when Grumpy and Grandma took us around, most didn't seem scary, but one loop had someone jumping out. I think a scouting mission and posting a request on this site would solve the issue though. Fiends who arrive before you will know the scary sites, and then you can avoid them. 

Thanks for the tip Fiends.  If we stick with the plans to come for Halloween, I don't think I'll take the kids trick-or-treating...but rather allow them to hand out candy.  I may be wrong, but I think I can bribe  encourage them both with a cookie or sucker from the Trading Post and they'll probably be fine with that.  Not sure but, that's what I'm leaning towards right now...  I'd rather the disappointment of not trick-or-treating, than a bad memory from something that scared them  :(

Thanks for the tip Fiends.  If we stick with the plans to come for Halloween, I don't think I'll take the kids trick-or-treating...but rather allow them to hand out candy.  I may be wrong, but I think I can bribe  encourage them both with a cookie or sucker from the Trading Post and they'll probably be fine with that.  Not sure but, that's what I'm leaning towards right now...  I'd rather the disappointment of not trick-or-treating, than a bad memory from something that scared them  :(

I'm almost positive you could find a loop or 2 without scary stuff if you change your mind. 

If we can pull it off we have almost enough Fiends to take over an entire loop. Then they could trick or treat safely there. 

Can you come up with a clever activity for candy and small items like a Halloween "Easter egg hunt". You could have them do it just before trick or treating so they will be distracted with their bag of treats.

That's a great tip Susan, thank you!  I will definitely keep that in mind.  Bailey knows what bothers her, so I think she'll understand if I say that I'm concerned and think this is best.  She doesn't want to do something that will upset her... she's smart that way :)

If we can pull it off we have almost enough Fiends to take over an entire loop. Then they could trick or treat safely there. 

Good thought Jason... :)

Except I'm going to have an Ursula themed site... Is that scary? 

No, don't think you'll scare her for a couple of reasons... 1) she'll have had the chance to meet you before and 2) while you'll be dressed up, I know that (at least for her) you'll be a nice Ursula and you won't try to scare her :)

It's the ghosts and scary goblin, skeleton like creators that really bother her.... you know, the kind that belong more at Universal than Disney?  That's what we'll need to stay away from.

I'm almost positive you could find a loop or 2 without scary stuff if you change your mind. 

That might be the case...hopefully so! :)   We'll definitely check out a few loops before the evening.  I think she'll get a kick out of handing out candy so one or two loops of trick or treating will be fine with them both :)

I also have a child with a wild imagination we have struggled with so I feel your anxiety. 

We have done every Halloween at the fort (except this past one) for maybe 5-6 years.

We used to scout out loops before looping and now we just have her sit in the back facing back tell her what side to look on so we can avoid the bad ones. 

The bad ones are BAD though, but there aren't many.  I would estimate less than a handful through the whole campground.

That said Jason is so very right.  We have our kids trick or treat at fiend campers only for the most part and then pass out candy the rest of the night. 

The Fiends are so very awesome! and I am not just saying that.  They are really are.  It's like taking your kids through your own neighborhood.  They talk to the kids about their costumes and the kids are so happy that by they time we go back to our camper to hand out our candy they feel as though they had the BEST time trick or treating. 

So figure out where the Fiend heavy loop(s) are if you're not camping in one (which we usually are) and hit them real early then finish with handing out at your camper.

I also have a child with a wild imagination we have struggled with so I feel your anxiety. 

We have done every Halloween at the fort (except this past one) for maybe 5-6 years.

We used to scout out loops before looping and now we just have her sit in the back facing back tell her what side to look on so we can avoid the bad ones. 

The bad ones are BAD though, but there aren't many.  I would estimate less than a handful through the whole campground.

That said Jason is so very right.  We have our kids trick or treat at fiend campers only for the most part and then pass out candy the rest of the night. 

The Fiends are so very awesome! and I am not just saying that.  They are really are.  It's like taking your kids through your own neighborhood.  They talk to the kids about their costumes and the kids are so happy that by they time we go back to our camper to hand out our candy they feel as though they had the BEST time trick or treating. 

So figure out where the Fiend heavy loop(s) are if you're not camping in one (which we usually are) and hit them real early then finish with handing out at your camper.

Great response...thank you :)

^^^ I love this idea.

We have a premium booked and would love to be in a Fiend heavy loop.

Hopefully it works out that way as I know several Fiends are planning to be there.  We'll be "slumming it" in a preferred spot... but I'm sure we can make it over your way for a trip around (what is hopefully) Fiend Lane :)

We'll be in preferred too, although if the rest of you hooligans end up together in a Premium somewhere, we may just pack up our candy Halloween night and bring it over to add to the pile to hand out. 8)

For the record, we are freely accepting hooligans who want to hand out candy.

Before Christmas, we had only done premium, so that's what we booked.

Kelly, you don't want the 1400 loop at Halloween!  A group of Orlando firefighters camps in 1400 every year around Halloween, and it's absolutely insane.  You can barely get your golf cart around the loop even in the daytime.  People congregate in the road and won't move.  Pirate Jeff had a really bad experience there a few years ago when he got stuck on 1400.

Kelly, you don't want the 1400 loop at Halloween!  A group of Orlando firefighters camps in 1400 every year around Halloween, and it's absolutely insane.  You can barely get your golf cart around the loop even in the daytime.  People congregate in the road and won't move.  Pirate Jeff had a really bad experience there a few years ago when he got stuck on 1400.

Man... we love public service people in this household; sad to hear that this particular group of firefighters is causing such an uproar :(