• 4 weeks later...

How have the painted ones held up during a trip? I'm tempted to do this. 

I'm about to find out! :) I'll take "after" photos.

Truth be told, these held up extraordinarily well. There is some cracking (you have to look to see it) on some of the bigger painted areas from the bands flexing, but no chipping.

We got a lot of nice compliments on them.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I had to do this to my son's annual pass band this time because he had made his smaller and now has outgrown it.  He bought himself a Sorcerer Mickey one and they transferred everything AP wise at the store and then the rest was transferred at the front desk of the resort.  It was a two step process because the bands were not linked (he had a band for the AP and a band for the reservation because he was on my parents reservation, long story).  But, it can be done.

If I purchase a retail one part way through the trip, can I link it and use it instead of the one that comes with the vacation package?

Yes, I had to do this to my son's annual pass band this time because he had made his smaller and now has outgrown it.  He bought himself a Sorcerer Mickey one and they transferred everything AP wise at the store and then the rest was transferred at the front desk of the resort.  It was a two step process because the bands were not linked (he had a band for the AP and a band for the reservation because he was on my parents reservation, long story).  But, it can be done.

In theory, it can all be done right in the store where you buy the MB.  One of my daughters worked in Wandering Oaken's Trading Post at Hollywood Studios last summer and activated 100's of the Frozen "limited edition" MB's right there at the point of sale.  Once activated, the new retail MB is an exact copy of any other MB connected to your name on the My Disney Experience site, and can be used interchangeably with those other MB's.

That said, there are a lot of CM's who don't posses the needed training or skills to properly activate the MB's and you can have problems which will require a visit to guest services and/or the resort front desk.  That's what apparently happened to AubunJen.  But, maybe you'll be lucky and get a CM who knows what he or she is doing.

TCD

In theory, it can all be done right in the store where you buy the MB.  One of my daughters worked in Wandering Oaken's Trading Post at Hollywood Studios last summer and activated 100's of the Frozen "limited edition" MB's right there at the point of sale.  Once activated, the new retail MB is an exact copy of any other MB connected to your name on the My Disney Experience site, and can be used interchangeably with those other MB's.

That said, there are a lot of CM's who don't posses the needed training or skills to properly activate the MB's and you can have problems which will require a visit to guest services and/or the resort front desk.  That's what apparently happened to AubunJen.  But, maybe you'll be lucky and get a CM who knows what he or she is doing.

TCD

What I'm guessing with CJs band, is he was merely added to his parents room in name only and the original room band was not connected to his/Jenn's MDE account.

If you add someone to your room reservation, you really need to link to their MDE account, in order for the "all the bands work on everything" to occur.

I'm almost positive that Disney did not consider groups like ours, where we interchange adding folks to our reservations on a regular basis.

What I'm guessing with CJs band, is he was merely added to his parents room in name only and the original room band was not connected to his/Jenn's MDE account.

If you add someone to your room reservation, you really need to link to their MDE account, in order for the "all the bands work on everything" to occur.

I'm almost positive that Disney did not consider groups like ours, where we interchange adding folks to our reservations on a regular basis.

Or the locals that are always traveling with different users with APs and trying to link them together for similar FPs.

Seems like you spend more time at kiosks or on line trying to get the darn things set up correctly.