Unfortunately, build quality appears to be luck of the draw with most manufacturers. There isn't a brand that I haven't seen a horror story or two - everything from entry level campers to moderately priced ones to the pretty expensive $100k DRVs.

For me, it's more about looking at the manufacturer's track record in service and warranty support. If you can also luck into a good dealer, then all the better.

We've had Starcraft(bought by Jayco in 1992) and Jayco since we started in 1973. A pop-up, 3 TT, 2 FW, 2 MH and now back to a FW and have never had any major issues. The minor problems we did have were due to their suppliers not the units themselves. Jayco is still family owned and they also own Open Range. I personally wouldn't buy anything else.

As ependyday said, if you do have problems the dealer makes all the difference in the world.

Unfortunately, build quality appears to be luck of the draw with most manufacturers. There isn't a brand that I haven't seen a horror story or two - everything from entry level campers to moderately priced ones to the pretty expensive $100k DRVs.

For me, it's more about looking at the manufacturer's track record in service and warranty support. If you can also luck into a good dealer, then all the better.

We thought about that.  There are two larger RV stores close to us...one is local and one is Camping World.  We prefer the feel of the local company and have always thought they would provide better service over Camping World.  Could be wrong, but that's the feeling we get.

Quality control in the RV industry as a whole is not very good. Likewise they do not have the control, like you see in the auto industry, over their dealers who are an independent lot. My feeling is to find a good dealer first and to go with a model that has been around a couple of years to minimize potential problems. After that go with the RV/TT model that suits you best.

We thought about that.  There are two larger RV stores close to us...one is local and one is Camping World.  We prefer the feel of the local company and have always thought they would provide better service over Camping World.  Could be wrong, but that's the feeling we get.

Don't go to that Camping World. They're horrid. I think that local dealer is the one my friends like (just by geography). What's the name of it?

Thor recently bought Airstream.  I hope they did not mess with Airstream Quality Control.  Unfortunately, if your first criteria is price you will find something you can get off the lot but not much else.  Ask the dealer how long he has been carrying that manufacturer.  Two years or less is a no go.  Dealers don't like to deal with problem units any more than customers do.  Thats why I don't deal with CW.  They will deal with any manufacturer that gives them a good volume deal that year. 

Hmmmm... don't think that's it. I'll have to check with Jason. There's one close to Athens that a lot of our friends use for service and repairs because they're better than most. 

I agree that Camping World is horrible or at least I have not had good experience with them.  For brands as others have said it is somewhat a roll of the dice.  I like the Jayco brands, Thor and Forest River products.  As fo rthe one near  Athens the only one I know of near there would be Peco Campers near Stone Mtn.  Is that the one you are thinking of?

I agree that Camping World is horrible or at least I have not had good experience with them.  For brands as others have said it is somewhat a roll of the dice.  I like the Jayco brands, Thor and Forest River products.  As fo rthe one near  Athens the only one I know of near there would be Peco Campers near Stone Mtn.  Is that the one you are thinking of?

Jayco has my favorite layout... but I've only been able to find it, at Camping World :(

Thor recently bought Airstream.  I hope they did not mess with Airstream Quality Control.  Unfortunately, if your first criteria is price you will find something you can get off the lot but not much else.  Ask the dealer how long he has been carrying that manufacturer.  Two years or less is a no go.  Dealers don't like to deal with problem units any more than customers do.  Thats why I don't deal with CW.  They will deal with any manufacturer that gives them a good volume deal that year. 

:huh: Thor acquired Airstream in the 80s.  http://www.airstream.com/history/

We are sorta in the same boat. Our #1 TT choice is at a CW and our #2 choice at RV One. We are debating between a Starcraft (our favorite) and a Keystone. We have been researching like crazy. Traveling here and there to look at every model possible. It's exhausting.

~the chief's wife

We are in the same boat. Just attended a huge rv show in Tampa Fl it did help us narrow things down some and was nice to get to speak with the factory reps. However now my head is a mess of jumbled up facts. Haha

Our first choice is a Jayco (CW) and then a Keystone at a different dealership (not the dealership we really want to work with but still... not CW).

I agree about the RV shows, you can walk away with a mess of facts in your head :huh:   We've started taking pics on our phones and making notes while at the shows; that helps some :)

Our first choice is a Jayco (CW) and then a Keystone at a different dealership (not the dealership we really want to work with but still... not CW).

I agree about the RV shows, you can walk away with a mess of facts in your head :huh:   We've started taking pics on our phones and making notes while at the shows; that helps some :)

I have seen a couple things about camping world one here, are they all bad? Wondering because they have a keystone trailer that we really like and are the closest to us how sells them.

We put a deposit down on it at the show but have not finalized anything as of yet.

What is it about camping world that yall dont like?

I have seen a couple things about camping world one here, are they all bad? Wondering because they have a keystone trailer that we really like and are the closest to us how sells them.

We put a deposit down on it at the show but have not finalized anything as of yet.

What is it about camping world that yall dont like?

From what I've read, I've seen trouble on both ends:  sales and service.  What you might try doing, is looking for reviews on your specific CW.  If yours has good reviews and you are happy with the price you got... then I would probably move forward with the sale.  If the reviews are terrible, you might try finding the camper somewhere else... my guess is that most dealers will match pricing.