I'm not sure when this launched, but I'm just coming across it now...

https://disneyvacationaccount.disney.go.com/

How Disney Vacation Account Works

Start Saving Now

Estimate Your Budget

Your Disney vacation is within reach with Disney Vacation Account. You can set up an easy and flexible savings plan to fit your needs. We'll help you estimate the cost with helpful tools to get started. Before you know it, you'll be enjoying your Disney dream vacation.

01howitworks.gif
Create a Plan

Once you have your vacation estimate, you're ready to create your savings plan and start saving at your own pace, up to 5 years in advance of your vacation date. Make automatic contributions using your debit or credit card, and schedule contributions to take place every week, every month or every 2 weeks. You can make instant contributions at any time––and you can even contribute with a Disney Gift Card!

There are no fees to set up and maintain your account, and you can withdraw the money you've contributed and have it fully refunded at any time!

howitworks_creditcard.gif

Track Your Progress Online

Your Disney Vacation Account has all the tools you need to track your savings progress, check your balance and manage your account. Whether you want to save more or less, or take your vacation sooner or later, we'll help you update your goals at any time.

howitworks_graph.gif
Book Your Vacation

Use your Disney Vacation Account savings to book your vacation online or over the phone through Disney. Note that Adventures by Disney vacations must be booked by phone.

You'll be eligible for a $20 Disney Gift Card for every $1000 you spend on qualified vacation purchases with your Disney Vacation Account prior to December 31, 2017 (date subject to extension), up to a total $500 in Disney Gift Card(s) per household. Your Disney Vacation Account must be active for a minimum of 120 days at the time of spending in order to receive this bonus. Request your Disney Gift Card(s) 4-6 weeks in advance of your vacation date to allow time for delivery to your mailing address. See FAQs for complete details.

Enjoy your vacation knowing that you've saved in advance!

04howitworks.gif

Now this is interesting up to $500 in Disney Gift cards, but the account must be active for 120 days. Put a nominal amount in there for 120 days, then put the rest right before your trip and get $20 back for every $1000. Now granted you would have to spend $25K to get the $500, but even if you only spent $1000 through the account, that's $20 from Disney.

It's funny that you posted this today because I just found it yesterday! I like the idea, but most local banks have Vacation Savings Accounts that you can set up to earn interest on your savings. That said, as soon as we book a Disney Vacation, I turn into a "OMG WE'RE GOING! PLEASE TAKE ALL OF MY MONEY RIGHT NOW EVEN IF I DON'T HAVE IT! WHAT CAN I BUY THAT'S DISNEY RELATED? IS 10 MONTHS EARLY TOO SOON TO PACK?" type of planner. This might be a good way to satisfy my "DISNEY TAKE MY MONEY" fix on a more affordable basis.

It looks like this is a viable option to combine Disney Gift Cards that are received throughout the year. And, if you buy a bunch of the gift cards from Target with the Target Red card to get a 5% discount, you can combine them also - that discount would save you $50/$1000 plus you would get an additional $20 reward from the vacation account.

Also, you can make deposits by credit card - if you were to use your Disney Visa Card, you could get Rewards on that in addition to the $20/$1000 reward that this account offers.

I think I would prefer to just open my own bank account to save in. Seems like Disney will make money on the "float" in these accounts......

I'd be willing to bet that came up in a meeting when someone was pitching this idea.

This was introduced last fall of I remember correctly.

Interesting there hasn't been more made of it.  The first time I saw it pop up anywhere was yesterday.  I wonder how much people are using it?

It looks like this is a viable option to combine Disney Gift Cards that are received throughout the year.

You mean like birthday/Christmas presents for your in-laws?  8)

It looks like this is a viable option to combine Disney Gift Cards that are received throughout the year. And, if you buy a bunch of the gift cards from Target with the Target Red card to get a 5% discount, you can combine them also - that discount would save you $50/$1000 plus you would get an additional $20 reward from the vacation account.

Also, you can make deposits by credit card - if you were to use your Disney Visa Card, you could get Rewards on that in addition to the $20/$1000 reward that this account offers.

The first thing I thought about when I saw it is the possibility of doing that.

Here's how we got a good bit of our trip for 55% off.. yes, 55%.

There is a smart phone app called Shopkick.  You get points for walking in certain stores and for scanning products in said stores.  Once you accumulate enough points, you can redeem for a gift card - one of which happens to be a Target gift card.

Hubby and I both have accounts - we would save our points (6,250) until we were able to get a $25 Target gift card.  Then I would take the 2 Target cards (total of $50) and order two Disney gift cards from the Target website.  Using my Red Card discounted the $100 worth of Disney gift cards down to $95.  Applied the two $25 Target cards we had gotten via shopkick, and Viola! Target mailed me $100 worth of Disney gift cards and only charged me $45.  We only had about 9 months to accumulate points but we ended up with $650 worth of Disney cards that we only actually paid $292.50 for.  Used them to pay for dining and other assorted items.

For some reason though - the amount of points you can get of late with shopkick has dramatically dropped.  Some weekends we were able to collect 800-900 points each last year.

• 8 months later...

I started using it about 4 months ago for our trip in April.  Have to say, it has been pretty convenient and another way to get some $ back.  $20 per $1,000.  Already used it to book reservations.  HOWEVER, alot

of people try getting further discounts by making deposits with discounted Disney Gift Cards.  Good idea at the time, but what they forget is that if you should have to "close out" your account for some reason and need to get your money back, they are only going to give it back to you in the form you deposited in!  If you have to take the money out of the account, chances are, you're not going to want that money back in Disney gift cards.....YOU NEED THE CASH!

I started using it about 4 months ago for our trip in April.  Have to say, it has been pretty convenient and another way to get some $ back.  $20 per $1,000.  Already used it to book reservations.  HOWEVER, alot

of people try getting further discounts by making deposits with discounted Disney Gift Cards.  Good idea at the time, but what they forget is that if you should have to "close out" your account for some reason and need to get your money back, they are only going to give it back to you in the form you deposited in!  If you have to take the money out of the account, chances are, you're not going to want that money back in Disney gift cards.....YOU NEED THE CASH!

Very good point to keep in mind!

Jason's right, I think someone had mentioned this late last year in a post.

It's a good deal for Disney if enough people use it.

Lot's of available $$ for them to put in their accounts and gain interest, then they give it back in the customers account and don't forget, that may be up to 5 years out.

And you've only got a little over 2 years to get the bonus money!

So to get the max $500 in gift cards you have to put $25K in your account by 12/17.

I didn't think the original announcement made you select a vacation date (but I could be mistaken).

I thought you could open an account and start adding funds to it to use when you did decide to come on down!