First Trip to FW Loop thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any help, We stumbled across this site last night and can't wait to borrow some ideas from the fellow members. We have already reached out to Jason and will book with him as soon as we make sure we know what we want. 

We jumped into the whole camping/trailer/rv life last October with the purchase of our first camper, 30' Keystone TT. We managed to squeeze in 16 nights last year and hope to hit the 45 night mark this year. So far we have loved every minute of this lifestyle and have seen how addicting it can be. 

We are looking to spend 7-9 days at FW starting the last week in May and would like some recommendations. We have 4.5 yr old twins and they like to stretch their little legs so we need a little breathing room between sites. We don't have any pets that travel with us and as long as the sites have full hookup we are not worried about access to the the public bathrooms. We are also planning on bringing a Cart to get around. Our main thought is being able to walk home from the later night / movie / water show with tired kids. (Unless everyone just drives their carts at night then we are wide open to anything) We have heard somewhere about sites that drop off the back side into wetlands and we really want to avoid that - boys + bugs + water + mud =....... craziness. 

We are really looking forward to this trip, the boys love camping and love Disney so this should be a win. Planning on heading down from Atlanta boon docking the night before arrival and getting a full first day at the campground before hitting the parks. 

I am sure we will have tons of questions in the next days  / weeks and will try not to overload ya'll. 

If anyone has a good place to ask towing questions I have few of those too. 

Thanks

Adam

First off welcome

If your cart has lights it can be driven day or night. There is golf cart parking down by the settlement (beach, restaurant, store, dock) as well as by the Medows (store, pool, campfire, movie) and also near the Outpost (main entrance, busses to parks). There is no one loop with easy walking access to everything.

Have you downloaded the Fort Fiends app? It has pictures and details of each site, there are also videos of the loops and an google earth map with a site overlay. Sorry I dont have the links for those but Im sure someone will be along with them soon.

Feell free to ask away, plenty of people with lots of good information on Disney on here, and imsure some who could help with your towing qquestions.

Thanks Derek, we have downloaded the app and have begun "looking" at the sites. We usually guess wrong when it comes to reserving a spot on our first visit anywhere. After visiting the property in person we feel more comfortable re booking and get a better spot the 2nd time around. But with so much riding on this visit (time and $$) we are hoping for a more of a win right out of the gate on booking....

Thanks

adam

Thanks Derek, we have downloaded the app and have begun "looking" at the sites. We usually guess wrong when it comes to reserving a spot on our first visit anywhere. After visiting the property in person we feel more comfortable re booking and get a better spot the 2nd time around. But with so much riding on this visit (time and $$) we are hoping for a more of a win right out of the gate on booking....

Thanks

adam

The biggest thing to know with Disney is you cant reserve a specific site. You can choose a loop category based on the pricing. Once booked you can request certain loops and even sites but those are never guaranteed. 

Others will have more specific info on certain sites and or loops. I know I enjoyed the 800 loop backing up to the walking trail. There was a huge amount of land behind our site and lots of room around. 

Welcome Adam!!

There aren't many truly "bad" sites at the Fort, so don't worry about picking the "wrong" site. 

If you have a preference on location within the Fort - near the pool, close to the bus stop, etc.,  - then I'd pick a loop to request accordingly, but mostly make sure that if you're putting a request in, you put those needs in there.  General consensus is that the site assigner has a better shot of getting you into a loop/site that meets them if they know what you're looking for, vs if you give a specific site # and it's unavailable.

This is a great question. We're looking to spend a few days at the Fort come June and I was just talking to my wife about which loops we might want. Turns out she really liked being near the beach/boat dock, so 100-200 or 700 would be her preference. But, the 100 & 200 loops are generally smaller sites (which will be fun with our big rig of a camper!).

Where are you thinking of overnighting at on the way?

This is a great question. We're looking to spend a few days at the Fort come June and I was just talking to my wife about which loops we might want. Turns out she really liked being near the beach/boat dock, so 100-200 or 700 would be her preference. But, the 100 & 200 loops are generally smaller sites (which will be fun with our big rig of a camper!).

Where are you thinking of overnighting at on the way?

We are not sure where we are going to overnight, Somewhere close I am sure. My wife subscribed to overnightrvparking.com and we plan to find something there that looks good. We have only boondocked 2x, once in walmart (very noisy) and once at cracker barrel. 

We plan to travel a lot and boondocking will become a regular part of our trips so over the winter we upgraded to 2x 6v cart batteries and bought a pair or honda generators for when we need to recharge and need air conditioning. 

I guess ill throw my towing question into the mix and see if someone may have the answer. 

We originally towed the camper with our ram 1500 hemi and quickly added airbags to eliminate sagging, that plus the weight distribution system kept it nice and level but I am sure we were scary close to %80 max capacity. While this did ok for local stuff when we tried to head up into virginia with 60g of fresh water in tank the 1500 had a rough time, Floored going up the mountains and draining the tank @ 7.4mpg. 

So last week I got a new Ram 2500 4x4 with the 6.7 cummings diesel. (expensive hobby) 

My question is with this setup do i still use the weight distribution hitch or am I good to straight pull the camper?

We loved 1400 loop last summer.  First week in June.  We have then 4 yr old and 8 yr old.

Yes, but there are sites on the 1400 loop that have the dreaded steep drop-off to the slimy green canal:

We have heard somewhere about sites that drop off the back side into wetlands and we really want to avoid that

If you stay on the inner loop of 1400 (Little Bear Path), or the sites near the entrance, no problem. But some of the sites that back up to the canal would be bad news for campers with young children.

TCD

The hitch itself is a Class V, i seem to remember it being rated at 1,300/13k trailer, I am just not sure if i want to loose the sway bar option the WD hitch provides. 

Thanks

Adam

My opinion is to keep the load level and sway control, even if you feel you don't need it, it is just added insurance to keep everything aligned when the big trucks pass, or you pass them.

Thanks for all the tips, So basically I just reserve a type of site and then fax a request for something more specific before arrival? I know we cant request a site number but would loop xxxx be an ok request?

Absolutely. You can include a site number but if you include we have small children so nothing that makes up to a waterway might be a good thing to help you avoid those sites. 

Welcome Adam. We're from GA too (in case the name doesn't give it away). We also started camping with a 30 foot Keystone, so you must be cool people. 

We love the 1400 loop. You can also add that you have small children, so you'd prefer not to be near the canal. And better yet, if you book with Jason, have him do that. 

Also, a bunch of us are camping at Bald Ridge Creek on Lake Lanier for Memorial Day. It might be booked up, but if not or if you can snag a cancellation, you guys should join us! More info here http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/13373-2015-memorial-day-bald-ridge-gg-1-site-left 

Also, a bunch of us are camping at Bald Ridge Creek on Lake Lanier for Memorial Day. It might be booked up, but if not or if you can snag a cancellation, you guys should join us! More info here http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/13373-2015-memorial-day-bald-ridge-gg-1-site-left 

Thanks Kelly for the invite, We were thinking about the week of May 22 to the 29th for our FW trip. I forgot that it was Memorial day. We need to think this through I guess. (How crowded will Disney be that weekend???) 

If we dont go that weekend we will definitely see about Bald Ridge Creek. It would be nice to meet a local group of regulars in the area, It seems as though the groups with 2 or 3 familys at the campgrounds have the best time. 

Thanks for letting us know about that weekend and even if we cant go we will look for the next group meeting here on the boards. We are trying to make it a goal to camp 2 or more weekends a month this year and so far have tried Stone Mountain (our favorite so far) Pine Mountain and Yargo (7 mins from our house) So any advise on Georgia Campgrounds from a local would be greatly appreciated. 

EDIT- Booked the weekend at the lanier, we will plan our FW trip for a different weekend... Hang tight Jason we are not crazy just a little scattered. We will pick a weekend in the fall and book with you shortly. 

Thanks

Adam

Fiends always have a good time! Glad you'll be joining us. Bald Ridge Creek is one of our favorite GA campgrounds. We do a lot of Lake Lanier camping because we have a boat there. We like Stone Mountain a lot too. Actually, I probably need to start a thread about a GG at Stone Mountain in October for the Big Green Egg Eggtoberfest. Two of us are already booked for that. 

Eggtoberfest? Wow I have so much to learn LOL. I dont have an BGE but there is still time to get one! What weekend is that? We have season passes to St mtn and need very little encouragement to book a trip there. 

I just posted a thread and a link to my trip report from 2014. And you can register to buy a discounted Egg there. 

EDIT- Booked the weekend at the lanier, we will plan our FW trip for a different weekend... Hang tight Jason we are not crazy just a little scattered. We will pick a weekend in the fall and book with you shortly. 

Thanks

Adam

Shoot for a weekend in mid September if you can; nice and empty (relatively speaking).