Direct to Room Check in now going live

http://magicaldistractions.com/direct-room-check-service-coming-walt-disney-world-resorts/

Walt Disney World Resort has been testing a ‘Direct to Room‘ check-in service over the last several months at various resorts. Direct to Room check-in allows you to bypass the front desk and head STRAIGHT to your room. While the service is still optional, beginning February 10, 2015,  guests will have the ability to check-in online and receive a text or email message telling you what your room number will be upon your arrival. Your Magic Band will have the information loaded before hand, so you simply head to the room when you arrive at the resort!

The following resorts will have Direct to Room check-in service available beginning February 10thDisney’s Animal Kingdom LodgeDisney’s Art of Animation ResortDisney’s Contemporary ResortDisney’s Polynesian Village ResortDisney’s Pop Century ResortDisney’s Port Orleans Riverside Resort, and Disney’s Port Orleans French Quarter Resort

The following resorts will have Direct to Room check-in service available beginning February 25thDisney’s BoardWalk InnDisney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, Disney’s Wilderness LodgeDisney’s Yacht Club Resort, and Disney’s Beach Club Resort

The following resorts will have Direct to Room check-in service available beginning March 10thDisney’s All-Star Sports Resort,Disney’s All-Star Music ResortDisney’s All-Star Movies Resort, Disney’s Caribbean Beach ResortDisney’s Coronado Springs ResortDisney’s Old Key West Resort, and Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa

As a seasoned Walt Disney World traveler, this new technology is helping make the most of my time while on vacation! Imagine jumping off theMagical Express and simply running to your room to drop off any carry-on luggage and then popping on the first bus to Disney’s Magic Kingdom? I’m excited just thinking about the possibilities.

If you are not comfortable with this new service, you will always have the ability to do on-site check-in. The Cast Members are great about helping first time guests feel welcomed.

Makes a lot of sense for Disney, reduces staff at the front desk in the long run. Some folks I am sure will miss the interaction, but they don't have to do it. I think this will go over very well.

provided of course you have done online check in. If you have not you dont participate. 

That is really cool technology. We stayed at POP in mid August and drove straight through from Pittsburgh. We arrived at 3 am, and I would have loved to not have parked, walked into the lobby , park again then try to drag everything up to the room. That's about the best use for the Magic Bands yet IMHO.

I honestly think they should just do away with the assignments at the Fort. Just drive through and pick a campsite in the category you booked, and it's yours. (Although, I guess then folks would squat on a Premium even if they booked a partial, so that won't work either).

But it WOULD fill up the fort during the week, because then the locals may start showing up on Wed to have a better pick of sites for the weekend.

I know that happens in some of our local campgrounds. If you want a good site for the weekend, start your reservation on Wed, drop the camper, and come back for the weekend.

I'm also guessing, you have to be paid in full or leave a credit card number with online checkin too.

That would make sense also. Packages are paid in full ahead already but for room/site only I cant see any way around actually checking in. besides paying ahead anyway or authorizing a card on file to be charged as you said.

I would hope that they would never do this at the fort. Could you imagine having to drive loop after loop looking for an open site? With a trailer or 40 footer? You know how people are, they would always be in the wrong spot, or "oh I thought this was it", or "oh we couldn't back in so we came over to this one". I'm fine with sending a fax.

This would really be nice at the fort.  I hate the check in process. I always seem to be behind someone who has a million questions or refuses to accept their assigned site even though they have not even seen it. I don't think there would be any additional problems with site jumpers.  Those kind of people are going jump sites no matter how they are assigned. It would give purpose to online check in at the fort.  With there not being a dedicated online check in line at the fort I don't see much advantage to doing online check in. I think in most cases the CM could print up what is needed in the time it takes them to go get your packet.  Of course they would have to get the MBs working at all the CS and gates.  

One issue that will need to be addressed is how guests are going to be able to find their rooms.

At the Contemporary Resort, for example, the room numbers don't correspond with floor numbers.  Like room 7409 is on the 11th floor (if you add the first two digits of the room number- that gives you the floor number, but how are guests supposed to know that?).

In the value resorts, the buildings have numbers, but are primarily identified by name, e.g. The Love Bug section at All Star Movies.  When you check in at the front desk, they hand you a map, and circle the building you will be in.  Are they going to provide maps and directions to guests when they text their room numbers to them?  The CM's at check-in also suggest where to park so you will be closest to your room.  Will that information also be communicated in some way to guests who want to go directly to their rooms?

TCD

One issue that will need to be addressed is how guests are going to be able to find their rooms.

At the Contemporary Resort, for example, the room numbers don't correspond with floor numbers.  Like room 7409 is on the 11th floor (if you add the first two digits of the room number- that gives you the floor number, but how are guests supposed to know that?).

In the value resorts, the buildings have numbers, but are primarily identified by name, e.g. The Love Bug section at All Star Movies.  When you check in at the front desk, they hand you a map, and circle the building you will be in.  Are they going to provide maps and directions to guests when they text their room numbers to them?  The CM's at check-in also suggest where to park so you will be closest to your room.  Will that information also be communicated in some way to guests who want to go directly to their rooms?

TCD

My guess is they will have an information desk for those that need assistance. It would be a lot faster than a full check in so in the grand scheme be an overall reduction to check in costs.

I believe the hotel maps are loaded on the WDW app and most of the value hotels are pretty good with maps from the bus drop off points thru the grounds.

If only the busses would drop you off directly at the parks of DTD.

When we fly to WDW, we fly Soutwest and check everything we will not need for the day of arrival.