My son has been to Disney A LOT, and we just park hopped with him for the first time and didn't take a break that day. I thought we'd be OK because we didn't get to the park until about 10. That was really pushing it, and he's 5. He doesn't nap at home, but he still naps at Disney. It's a lot to take in. And like others have said, you'll save $180 by not hopping. You can do a lot of cool things for that $180. 

If I were you, I'd do 2 days at MK and 1 day at DHS. I'd plan a 4 hour break from about 1-5 PM each of those days. That's enough time to travel and have a 2 hour nap. 

This is a great resource for touring plans. http://www.easywdw.com/category/cheat-sheets 

Welcome, Goose!

You have already received great advice, and I will reaffirm what has already been said a number of different ways:  Take it easy and go with the flow.  Too many people plan every minute, and push their kids to the point of it not being fun any more.  While I am a big time park hopper, I agree that you should save the money this time.  I say you should spend it on pre-ordering a Memory Maker package.

While I have never purchased the Memory Maker for myself, I think it's something that folks making a big trip should definitely consider.  There are several current trip reports here showing these photos, and the photographers do a wonderful job capturing family interactions.  Instead of being the photographer, you can join in the fun and be in the photos.

TCD

I don't recall seeing it mentioned, but if you do decide to go the AK, be sure and take in Festival of the Lion King.  It is a high energy show, now being performed in a new venue.  I haven't seen it there yet, but we try to take it in every trip.  I also understand there is a Nemo show in the same part of AK, but I have not seen that at all.  It's on the list for the next trip.

I don't recall seeing it mentioned, but if you do decide to go the AK, be sure and take in Festival of the Lion King. It is a high energy show, now being performed in a new venue. I haven't seen it there yet, but we try to take it in every trip. I also understand there is a Nemo show in the same part of AK, but I have not seen that at all. It's on the list for the next trip.

Just FYI. It's the same show as before but just in a new venue. And it's now in Africa by Dawa Bar and Tusker House. Finding Nemo The musical is in DinoLand.

And yes you must see FOTLK and Nemo.

Well, thanks for all the great advice. This being our first trip with the kids and our first time at the fort we decided to take it "easy". Lots of great tips, tricks and advice here so glad we joined. That said we booked thru my sister ( liberty travel ). She got us a great deal on a top level site. Better than internet. They also have allotments on sites when it might seem all booked. Don't think I will request a particular loop. Never been. Maybe just see for myself this time. All the posts on that topic seem to say it a matter of personal preference. We decided to do the memory maker. +-$160. The comment that I could enjoy myself without being the photographer sold me. We also decided on 2 day tix. I think we are gonna do MK both days. Sunday check in relax. Monday at MK. Tues explore FW and DD chip and dale campfire and movie. Wednesday MK and princess castle dinner. Thurs FW relax and Mickey backyard BBQ. Friday hit the road. Kids are young and I think ( with all your help) that this will help us get the most out of our trip without overdoing it. Thanks for all the warm welcomes and help. Can't wait to go!!!

What we did when our kids were that young is to start the day at the rope drop, stay ay the park until 12 or 1, head back to the campground for lunch and naps.  We would head back to parks about 3 and stay for a few more hours.  Since the kids were young we would hang out at the campground in the evenings.  Some of the best pictures/ memories were our kids at the Chip and Dale campfire. 

If you have a golf cart bring it.  Cruising the campground was something the kids still enjoy doing even though they are all in their 20's. 

If you are only getting passes for 2 or 3 days I would recommend picking out maybe 2 parks only, MK...and maybe one other.  My kids enjoyed EPCOT it was a slower pace. 

Someone further up in the tread said to stick with the 2 day and you add to it if you decided on more days.  That I think was excellent advice.  My only question would be "What is the minimum days you can get for a parkhopper pass?", that may influence your choice.

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link-  Travel at the kids pace, and when they are tired it's time to call for a break.  If we ever didn't get to a ride or show on a trip, the answer was always-  "We will see it on our next trip, so I guess we will be back." 

Yes, they do.

Children = 3-9

Adults = 10+

Let me tell you how much it hurts the wallet when they start charging you adult rates for your 10 year old adults that live in your house.

Oy vey.

Welcome to our insanity!

Our first family trip to The Fort was when our kids were 5, 3, 18 month. We were there for a week and had a seven day pass. Now, we bring out grandkids. On our next trip they will be 4, 3, 18 months. We will be there for 3 weeks and are getting the 10 day pass. Our grandkids live in California at Camp Pendleton and go to Disneyland. Even at this age, our granddaughter prefers Disney World in Pop-Pop's motorhome.

I would do the 4 day pass. Take advantage of your 2 year being free. When we take the grandkids, they take a nap. In the summer, we let them play at The Fort during the day and nap. Then we hit the parks about 4pm and stay until closing. They sleep late in the morning and avoid the hot weather. Luckily, you won't have to worry about that when you are going.

We are going over Halloween for our next trip. It will be the first trip with all 3 of the grandkids. At Christmas, we did Disneyland and California Adventure with them. We went to the parks in the morning and came back for naps and then went out again. Not sure what the plan is for our October trip. Our daughter is the type that takes the wait and see approach. We take it day by day and plan things on how tired the kids are that day.

By the way, welcome and I'm sure you will have a great time. We have stayed at South of the Boarder and Yogi Bear campgrounds in the past. We used to stay at a WalMart, but South of the Boarder is only $25 a night. It is a nice stopping point. Yogi Bear is nice, but it is only about 5 hours from home. We stayed there when we got a late stop and didn't want to drive all night long.

Have fun!!!

it sounds like everyone covered the Disney stuff pretty good but I can offer some tips for driving down from NE PA .  I take 81 down to 95 and stop at Carolina crossroads rv park in Roanoke rapids nc for day one, day two savannah Koa, day three we arrive at fort wilderness between 10-11 am......i do this because I travel with three small children and have found 6-7 hours is well within their comfort levels and on the third day it is a 5.5 hour ride... easy. no melt downs and I am not worthless for a day due to 13 hours behind the wheel.  we only miss one Disney morning which is well worth the lower stress levels.  the first time I did the drive I went down to savannah on day one, everyone was a tired grumpy mess, never again. we usually stop somewhere along the way too, savannah, Charleston, myrtle beach.... sometimes on way down and sometimes on way back.  kinda if the mood strikes travelers.  the fort is fun and remember to bring a bass rod.  the canals hold some decent fish.  have fun

it sounds like everyone covered the Disney stuff pretty good but I can offer some tips for driving down from NE PA .  I take 81 down to 95 and stop at Carolina crossroads rv park in Roanoke rapids nc for day one, day two savannah Koa, day three we arrive at fort wilderness between 10-11 am......i do this because I travel with three small children and have found 6-7 hours is well within their comfort levels and on the third day it is a 5.5 hour ride... easy. no melt downs and I am not worthless for a day due to 13 hours behind the wheel.  we only miss one Disney morning which is well worth the lower stress levels.  the first time I did the drive I went down to savannah on day one, everyone was a tired grumpy mess, never again. we usually stop somewhere along the way too, savannah, Charleston, myrtle beach.... sometimes on way down and sometimes on way back.  kinda if the mood strikes travelers.  the fort is fun and remember to bring a bass rod.  the canals hold some decent fish.  have fun

While we don't have the distance or children to deal with we too found stopping at the KOA in Savannah makes for a much more relaxing trip as opposed to a 10 hr marathon. I have also heard good reports about Carolina Crossroads as far as overnighting is concerned.