The WBI Krewe Mardi Gras in Seaside

Ok sorry about the short post before but we're still on Saturday, Feb 14th, Valentines Day.

After lots of shopping for the women and sitting and playing for the boys we hit the air stream trailers for lunch.

Sorry but I guess I forgot to take pictures but I do remember having a very active boy in my hands as I ordered and ate, plus it's never easy dealing with four people who want food from four different places.  I do remember that the line was so long at the grilled cheese shop that the men finished eating before the ladies even got their food.  So W and I played more in the amphitheater while they ate and watched.  W loved chasing his ball and watching all of the big kids.

Eventually we biked back to the campsite to clean up & rest before dinner.  The bike trailer worked great for W to nap in.

Here's our site with W waking up from his nap:

IMAG3639.jpg

Our view through the trees looking southwest:

IMAG3637.jpg

IMAG3640.jpg

IMAG3641.jpg

I'm not sure why they cleared that area through the trees but that's the road to the older camping loop that only has electric and water.  We were in site 58 which was on the corner of the full hook up loop.

One thing to note that I think has changed from the last time I drove through here.  The original loop used to have its own road to the main road that accesses the beach, but that has now been closed and is only for foot and bike traffic.  All vehicles to the older loop have to drive through the newer full hook up loop.  Honestly though it wasn't a big deal because there really isn't much traffic.

IMAG3642.jpg

Here's the site across the road from us, notice it has concrete.

IMAG3643.jpg

Turns out there are four sites that have concrete pads.  They are considered ADA and have a sidewalk that links to the bathhouse in the center of the loop.

Also the new loop has a nice asphalt road but the old loop is rock.  On the other hand the old loop has tons of vegetation and a few of the sites back up to Western Lake.

Dang I can't find my map picture, I'll have to get that later.

IMAG3646.jpg

30A love on the hitch (Seaside & Fort Sticker are on the back)

IMAG3647.jpg

IMAG3648.jpg

Check it out they provide a clothes line:

IMAG3650.jpg

IMAG3651.jpg

He loves his cordless drill, lol

IMAG3652.jpg

IMAG3653.jpg

He's just getting to where he can push himself on this thing but he does better going backwards and the rocks made it difficult.

IMAG3654.jpg

IMAG3655.jpg

Looking across the way, I think I was trying to get a picture of CP running by:

IMAG3656.jpg

Pretty soon it was time to head back to Seaside, we drove this time.

We headed up to the in-laws room, it was pretty awesome design as is most everything in Seaside, but best of all was their view:

IMAG3657.jpg

I should add there was live classical music coming from the amphitheater stage, how great is that!

IMAG3661.jpg

We sat on the balcony and all drank some wine and watch a big wedding party walk by.

I forgot to mention we saw two weddings that day, the second was pretty large and the men were all in military formals, both weddings were in the chapel but the one we watched walk by were heading to Bud & Alley's for the reception, which is were we were having dinner and where we had our wedding reception.

But first more balcony pictures:

IMAG3664.jpg

IMAG3664.jpg

We eventually headed down to see the music before heading to dinner.

IMAG3667.jpg

Walking up to Bud & Alley's it was completely empty (well except for the wedding outside), but I heard the host turn a couple away that didn't have reservations, they were completely booked for the night.  This is also when I realized that they opened at the same time as our reservation, but that's ok with us.  These days W gets a little busy at dinner time in restaurants so we wanted to get in and out so he didn't bother too many valentines dinners.

They stuck us in the back corner next to the kitchen and the door to the outside, where they carried everything in and out to the wedding.  Good part was that W was distracted and wouldn't bother anyone because people were more bothered by the cold air from the door, the bad part was the cold air from the door.   Oh I should also add if you are a party of two at this place they had tables crammed next to each other, I hate that, you know when you are so close to the other table that you feel like you are with them?  I've had that happen on a cruise and it makes it so awkward that you have to talk, luckily we didn't have that problem as we had the biggest table in our area.

Dinner was great as usual, I actually had two apps, one because I was full from all the eating all day and two I've found I prefer their apps over their entrees.  Sorry but no pictures again.

IMAG3669.jpg

After dinner we toured Seaside again:

IMAG3670.jpg

The ladies got some fudge and we headed back up to their room to enjoy the balcony some more:

IMAG3674.jpg

IMAG3675.jpg

That concludes our Valentines Day, up next, Sunday, we hit another Farmer's Market and say good by to the family.

WBI

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to dig out my old Grayton Beach State Park campground map to see where your site was and to try to visualize what you were saying about the road to the original loop being closed.  Here's my old map:

GraytonBeachSPMap.jpg

I wonder why they closed the road to the original loop?

That gave you a lot of extra traffic by your site.

Also, I thought your inlaws rented a condo above Modica Market?  Your balcony photos show they were on the other side of the amphitheater.

If you don't mind, what was the name of the unit they rented, and what agency did they book with?

TCD

I had to dig out my old Grayton Beach State Park campground map to see where your site was and to try to visualize what you were saying about the road to the original loop being closed.  Here's my old map:

GraytonBeachSPMap.jpg

I wonder why they closed the road to the original loop?

That gave you a lot of extra traffic by your site.

I don't know what their reasoning was for closing that road, it really doesn't make sense to me.

Here's the map I got at check-in:

Sheet1.jpg

You can see it no longer shows the road directly to the old loop.

For the sake of completeness here's the rest of the check-in flyer:

inside1.jpg

inside2.jpg

Backpage.jpg

Also, I thought your inlaws rented a condo above Modica Market?  Your balcony photos show they were on the other side of the amphitheater.

If you don't mind, what was the name of the unit they rented, and what agency did they book with?

TCD

I'm glad you brought that up. I did say they would be in the unit above Modica Market, I assumed it would be Mathematician or Cork the Whine. So Friday afternoon after driving all day and biking into Seaside we told CP's parents we would meet them downstairs so we parked near the stairs by Modica Market and waited, and waited. Then they call asking where we were. CP said downstairs, well so were they. Turns out they were not staying above Modica Market but above the shops on the opposite side of Central Square. Evidently there was some confusion before the info got to me, FIL told MIL they were staying above the shops, MIL told CP, CP told me, somewhere the details became fuzzy I guess.  I should also add that the units above Modica Market were being redone anyway, the whole time we were there they were doing major reconstruction on them and repainting the outside all around that building.

Anyway I know they used the Cottage Rental Agency but I can not find the unit they rented on the website, I really think its Splendidio Vista but it's not showing up on CRA. On that note this was the first time any of us has rented from CRA since the ownernship changed or shifted or whatever happened. I guess it all went smoothly but we noticed that the bag of souvenirs they give you at check-in now says Cottage Rental Agency, Seaside, Florida instead of SEASIDE. I guess they lost the rights to use Seaside.  The souvenirs were really nice, two tervis tumblers, two nice couzies, four plastic cups (that said SEASIDE) AND SEASIDE playing cards all inside of a really nice  beach bag.  I would prefer paying $100 less and not getting the souvenirs but I guess I was the only one that filled out the survey that way a couple years ago.

WBI

I don't know what their reasoning was for closing that road, it really doesn't make sense to me.

Here's the map I got at check-in:

Sheet1.jpg

WBI

We talked about this while leaving the campground but I just realized that this map confirms it.

Notice that site 32 is full hook-up.  I could of sworn it doesn't say that on the website.

Well I just confirmed, the website doesn't even list site 32, I wonder how you book that sneaky guy.

WBI

Wow, the maps are so fancy now!

My guess on closing down one of the roads is that it probably helps keep non-campers out of the camping loops.  The road that is now closed is further from the guard shack, and day visitors could drive down that road and into the camping loops without being seen by the rangers.  Maybe they had problems with that.

Thanks for all of the information about that condo.  We rented one of the townhouses on Ruskin Park last year, and liked it a lot.  In the past, we've always rented regular cottages, but I would like to try one of the condos overlooking the amphitheater some time.

TCD

Wow, the maps are so fancy now!

My guess on closing down one of the roads is that it probably helps keep non-campers out of the camping loops.  The road that is now closed is further from the guard shack, and day visitors could drive down that road and into the camping loops without being seen by the rangers.  Maybe they had problems with that.

Thanks for all of the information about that condo.  We rented one of the townhouses on Ruskin Park last year, and liked it a lot.  In the past, we've always rented regular cottages, but I would like to try one of the condos overlooking the amphitheater some time.

TCD

Yeah they upgraded the maps.

That's a good theory on the road, it makes sense to me.

No problem, all of those condos I looked at are only 1 bedroom though.  I think there is one in the corner that's huge maybe four or five bedrooms?

I really like the idea of the townhouse in Ruskin Place, not only do we like that area but we could also sit and listen to the guy that lives there and always has his classical music playing with the doors open.  For some reason his music just makes that area very peaceful to us.

Late to the game on this one, but I'm in :)

Man.... we really need to camp at the beach!  The farmer's market looked super cute :)   Sorry if I missed this, but how much are the campsites?

Thanks for joining.

The Farmer's Market is really nice, it has a ton of food like pastries that you can eat right on the spot.

I don't think I said how much the site was, but it's a state park so you can book online and it was $33.60 after taxes per night.

I should also add that it sells out way in advance.  I tried to book spring break 10months early and it was sold out, and I know the summer is almost completely booked, as in every day.

WBI

Great trip report and it looks like I have another place to add to the bucket list when Nancy and I are doing road trips again.

Our kids are now teenagers (one in his 20's) and we have hit that point where long trips are just not part of the deal right now.  Enjoy little W's portability while you can.  Camping with kids is a blast and the time goes so quickly.  Seems like just yesterday that my little princess was turning over rocks and looking for salamanders at campgrounds.  Today, she and her friends are at a spa for a birthday party getting all pampered and stuff. 

Great report.  I just learned something about Florida state parks.  Rule # 7.  I wonder when that changed.  Alcohol is now allowed on your campsite.  It used to be not allowed in the park at all.  I checked the web site and even Wekiwa Springs where they used to actually search your cooler when checking in for alcohol now allows it in designated areas.   Very good thing!

inside1.jpg

Backpage.jpg

Great report.  I just learned something about Florida state parks.  Rule # 7.  I wonder when that changed.  Alcohol is now allowed on your campsite.  It used to be not allowed in the park at all.  I checked the web site and even Wekiwa Springs where they used to actually search your cooler when checking in for alcohol now allows it in designated areas.   Very good thing!

Good catch there Harold.

I didn't know the rule had changed either.  When I last camped at Grayton Beach, I was worried about the no alcohol rule until I saw the recycling bins. 

The rule was not strictly enforced there.

TCD

Last time we camped at Grayton was July 2012. The loop was closed off then and they were supposed to upgrade the bathhouse because it was OLD (did they get it done?). Sites 3, 13, 26, 32, 52, and 57 are non-reservable. Sometimes they are used for host sites other times they are walk ins. The rule is the FL state parks must have 10% of their sites as non-reservable. The one thing I dislike was the gravel sites, I always preferred just dirt as the gravel hides the anthills and they get into everything. With dirt I can put Borax on the mound and control them in our site. The alcohol rule was in effect in July 2012 as well. I've always had alcohol (wine) at my site, never walk around with it or party. I think that's what gets you into trouble with the rangers and hosts.

Great trip report and it looks like I have another place to add to the bucket list when Nancy and I are doing road trips again.

Our kids are now teenagers (one in his 20's) and we have hit that point where long trips are just not part of the deal right now.  Enjoy little W's portability while you can.  Camping with kids is a blast and the time goes so quickly.  Seems like just yesterday that my little princess was turning over rocks and looking for salamanders at campgrounds.  Today, she and her friends are at a spa for a birthday party getting all pampered and stuff. 

Definitely add the 30A area to the bucket list!

Yeah I could see where it gets harder to schedule those long trips with everyone's schedules, actually we have a hard enough time now.

Late to the party, but I'm here.

Thanks for joining!

You know I never realized that it changed either.  Honestly we aren't big drinkers but we always broke the rules we were just careful about it.

Good catch there Harold.

I didn't know the rule had changed either.  When I last camped at Grayton Beach, I was worried about the no alcohol rule until I saw the recycling bins. 

The rule was not strictly enforced there.

TCD

Good to know because we like to take a drink with us on the bikes now and then.

The change in alcohol rule has been in place for several years, I believe. 

Really, I guess I never paid attention, not that I've been camping in state parks for that many years.

Well if that's true I have been hiding denying myself a cold one for no reason.  

Luckily I never tried to hide it that much.

How many times did you have to travel to Tallahassee to petition the legislature over that one?  

lol

Last time we camped at Grayton was July 2012. The loop was closed off then and they were supposed to upgrade the bathhouse because it was OLD (did they get it done?). Sites 3, 13, 26, 32, 52, and 57 are non-reservable. Sometimes they are used for host sites other times they are walk ins. The rule is the FL state parks must have 10% of their sites as non-reservable. The one thing I dislike was the gravel sites, I always preferred just dirt as the gravel hides the anthills and they get into everything. With dirt I can put Borax on the mound and control them in our site. The alcohol rule was in effect in July 2012 as well. I've always had alcohol (wine) at my site, never walk around with it or party. I think that's what gets you into trouble with the rangers and hosts.

Wow I had never heard that before, that's good to know.  So how do you get those sites, do you have to call or just drive up, that's a huge risk to just arrive hoping for a site.

I didn't check the bath house in the old loop so sorry no update on that.  I do have pictures of the newer one though.

We didn't mind the gravel site, the only problem was W liked to try and eat a rock every now and then.

What kind of Fiend are you? 

That information is classified. 

haha nice

WBI

Ok let's pick this back up.

After a great Valentine's Day Night in Seaside, it's now Sunday February 15th.

We got up early as usual drank a pot of coffee and got ready to head to Seaside for breakfast with the family.

CP wanted to bike so that's what we did.

IMAG3676.jpg

The morning was pretty cool but it was supposed to warm up later so we dressed in lots of layers, as you'll see later that was real smart!

On the way in I stopped for some pictures:

IMAG3678.jpg

IMAG3680.jpg

We got to Seaside early and as you can see it was empty, those are the in-laws headed to The Great Southern Café.

IMAG3683.jpg

After another great meal we walked around a bit talking about what to do.

IMAG3686.jpg

Aunt and Uncle from Boston bought him this track suit!!

The sun was killing but he doesn't always like to wear sunglasses.

IMAG3688.jpg

Somewhere in this timeframe W had his second or third bad fall of the trip, I'm not sure if it was all the brick pavers, the sun or the fact that he just wanted to run and play but his pour head got beat up.  I have a picture coming up.

IMAG3693.jpg

IMAG3695.jpg

IMAG3697.jpg

Evidently there was some confusion on the group's plans for the next few hours.  The family had to check-out of their room by 10am (isn't that crazy early) and then had to be at the airport at 12.  Pa-in-law wanted to hangout at our campsite, Ma-in-law wanted to walk around, CP wanted to go to WaterColor Farmer's Market and I wanted to bike around.  After some grumbling, we biked and they walked to the Farmer's Market.  By the time we got there everyone had calmed down and enjoyed looking around and playing in the Park with W.

IMAG3699.jpg

IMAG3700.jpg

W found some water fountains so I had to be on my toes to keep him from going for a swim:

IMAG3702.jpg

IMAG3704.jpg

The fountain below was in a Watercolor park and created a stream through the whole park, it was really nice but W could step right into it so that was no fun keeping him out.

IMAG3706.jpg

Pretty soon it was time for the in-laws to head to the airport, we said our good byes then pulled out the Mardi Gras beads to get ready for Seaside's festivities!

20150215_113415-20150217-143631934.jpg

Do you see poor W's face, by the last day of our trip he was almost healed up but man we felt bad for him.

Coming up lots of relaxing, beads, and some biking around.

WBI

How about another update.

It's still Sunday morning, our plan now was to do some looking around on the bikes, but first we needed a little something.  While at the Farmer's market, we found a guy selling all kinds of jarred goods, including cocktail mixes.  CP chose a fruity jar of fresh juices that you could mix with champagne, she thought it would be a good morning refreshment. 

So while W was loaded into his bike trailer I made a quick run into Modica Market for a bottle of sparkling wine and cup full of ice. 

Next thing you know we were popping open the bottle in front of the house where we said I do back in 2011.

20150215_121943-20150217-143646761.jpg

20150215_122017-20150217-143701559.jpg

A couple things to point out, notice both of our bikes have cup holders, those were a requirement when we were beach cruiser shopping.

Also notice I'm down to short sleeves, it had started warming up at this point, not hot but it was pretty perfect!

After getting our drinks set we started biking, which meant W started napping.

Here's the house where my family stayed and we had our rehearsal dinner for our wedding, it's called Changes in Attitude.

IMAG3709.jpg

This house was on the same street and was having a lot of work done to it.

IMAG3711.jpg

We actually saw a lot of construction this trip.

One thing to point out is that when this community was founded, they made a requirement that only natural materials be used so that construction would be as it was in the old days.  That may not sound like a big deal but when you think long term that means you have a lot of maintenance to stay on top of.  Wood doesn't do to well in this tropical climate and we saw a lot of rotten wood being replaced.

I wondered if they had changed those rules now that hardy plank has come so far and really looks comparable to wood, but I can honestly say I never saw any, it was all wood that I saw.

Ok moving on.

IMAG3713.jpg

IMAG3715.jpg

At one point we had heard a jazz band playing and sure enough here they were.

IMAG3716.jpg

There were some kid's activities going on here, face painting, beads, crafts, and a stilt walker mardi gras guy to take pictures.

But we kept on riding.

Then we found this:

IMAG3718.jpg

That's a house in Seaside that has been torn down except the floor and front wall.  I'm assuming it's all going to come down but it seemed like a strange way to do it.

After lots of riding, W finally woke up and we made our way to the Amphitheater where there was going to be live music.

Luckily I was prepared and surprised CP with a blanket for us to lay out on, here's our view:

IMAG3721.jpg

W's battle wounds:

IMAG3722.jpg

IMAG3724.jpg

There were families and kids everywhere, people were eating and drinking and have good ole fashioned family fun.

We stayed right there and did the same, at some point CP picked us up a fancy schmancy grilled cheese sandwich that we split.

Eventually the kids parade came around:

IMAG3725.jpg

Giant Duck at the toy store:

IMAG3726.jpg

IMAG3727.jpg

IMAG3730.jpg

IMAG3731.jpg

Here's a drone filming everything:

IMAG3732.jpg

IMAG3734.jpg

IMAG3736.jpg

IMAG3737.jpg

As you can see there were a lot of people there.

IMAG3738.jpg

At some point later on there were some Modica Market snacks, and eventually Nachos from the Taco Stand.  They were all good.

IMAG3740.jpg

IMAG3741.jpg

IMAG3742.jpg

IMAG3744.jpg

Ok I think that's enough amphitheater pictures we were there for 3 or 4 hours I think but it was great, we enjoyed the sunshine and just relaxed, played, drank and ate.

Next up we bike back to the site.

WBI