The WBI Krewe Mardi Gras in Seaside

I'm going to post another update.

Tuesday morning:

I woke up to a funny noise, something moving.  I laid there thinking oh its W.

You see in the camper W sleeps in his pack-n-play in the kitchen area, and he learned this trip that when he wakes up he can sit there and look out the windows.  It was awesome that he would do that an not cry to get out.

So this morning when I heard the noise I figured that's what was happening.

But something was different so I got up to see what it was, here's what I found:

20150217_070813-20150217-142937778.jpg

Haha that little sneak had stood up and was able to grab the king cake box off the table.

I had heard him slide it off the table into the pack-n-play.

I couldn't help but laugh and he was sure enjoying himself eating it and licking icing.

I told CP that W was taking after his momma so she came and took these pictures to laugh me.

20150217_070911-20150217-143022708.jpg

After we took some pictures I cut up the rest of the cake and since it we were on vacation he finished it off for breakfast.

20150217_071929-20150217-143052137.jpg

After cleaning up we headed to Seaside for our breakfast. 

It was pretty cold this morning so we drove.

We once again had breakfast at Modica Market then Coffee at Amavida.

IMAG3898.jpg

After breakfast we hit the Seaside gift shop and then had no plans so we decided to head down 30A and check out some of the other little towns.

We decided they were nice but Seaside is our favorite. 

After we killed enough time we hit up our new favorite lunch spot:

IMAG3903.jpg

20150217_112118-20150217-143122503.jpg

Today I opted for the lunch special, a catfish poboy, it was good and a great price, but not near as good as the burger from the day before.

CP got the grilled pimento cheese, it was amazing!

IMAG3899.jpg

Menu:

IMAG3900.jpg

IMAG3902.jpg

After lunch we headed to Wal-Mart for a few things and to fill up with gas for the trip home.

We got W a new toy while there and he became obsessed with it.  A chainsaw that moves and makes noise.  While checking out for some reason it was only $5 (marked $15).  In hindsight we should have went and bought the weed eater too.

IMAG3904.jpg

IMAG3905.jpg

He still loves it by the way.

Ok I'll stop here for now.

WBI

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are also not the stay out on the beach all day type family. A place like Seaside or Topsail would be more our style.

Seeing how much you like to ride your bikes and you enjoy the water, I wanted to let you know there are still sites available for the Defeated Creek GG in September.

We are also not the stay out on the beach all day type family. A place like Seaside or Topsail would be more our style.

Seeing how much you like to ride your bikes and you enjoy the water, I wanted to let you know there are still sites available for the Defeated Creek GG in September.

Thanks, we'd love to go to Defeated Creek but that's too far of a drive for us for the weekend.

The cake in the pack n play. I laughed so hard. This is amazing. Good work letting him finish it off for breakfast. He earned it. Like a man.

Same here, we laughed for a long time.

I had to let him finish!  Like you said he earned it and to make it even funnier he acted like it was no big deal, he just kept eating.

After that we learned to clear the table so he couldn't reach anything.

WBI

Caught up!

Okay... love all the pics.  All of them, but especially love the one of the baby in the tree, the three of you on the beach and then the cake incident.  Too great!! :)

Again, thanks for all the tips... we are really looking forward to our trip this summer.  It will be short, but still thrilled to check things out!! :)

Great report.  As windy as it looked on the beach poor W was problaly getting sand blasted when yall wern't holding him.   

To say that I am not a fan of the hot beach is a understatement.  We have lived near some of the greatest beaches in the country for over 30 years.  We have gone to the beach to swim maybe10 times and that was when we were draged there by out of town visitors.  

We did go out on the islands a lot when we had our boat but that was not to sit in sand and sweat.  

Seaside looks great.  We really need to get up there one day.

More great pics!

I am a stay on the beach all day kind of person, provided I'm equipped with my huge umbrella, a good book, a comfortable chair, and lots of sunscreen.  

But I agree with W about cold, windy days.  I don't want my toes touching the sand then either.

• 2 weeks later...

Whoa,

I didn't mean to go so long without finishing this trip report. 

I'll get it finished today, but first a few comments.

The gulf was rough! 

W snagging the king cake is AWESOME. What a great story. 

Those food and beer prices look like Disney. 

Yes it was rough, very windy that day, it was actually a cold front blowing in, the temperature dropped that night.

Thanks, we all thought it was hilarious.

You will cherish those pictures with the cake forever.  There are certain things that happened with our girls many years ago that I still look back on and laugh, and I bet this is one of those moments for y'all.  

Yes it will be one of those stories, and luckily we have pictures of it!

Caught up!

Okay... love all the pics.  All of them, but especially love the one of the baby in the tree, the three of you on the beach and then the cake incident.  Too great!! :)

Again, thanks for all the tips... we are really looking forward to our trip this summer.  It will be short, but still thrilled to check things out!! :)

Thanks Nacole!

You'll have a great time in Seaside!

Great report.  As windy as it looked on the beach poor W was problaly getting sand blasted when yall wern't holding him.   

To say that I am not a fan of the hot beach is a understatement.  We have lived near some of the greatest beaches in the country for over 30 years.  We have gone to the beach to swim maybe10 times and that was when we were draged there by out of town visitors.  

We did go out on the islands a lot when we had our boat but that was not to sit in sand and sweat.  

Seaside looks great.  We really need to get up there one day.

It's funny to hear that about the beach.  In high school and college I would dream of living by the beach, then lived in Naples, FL for 8 years and grew to hate the beach.  I think I always loved the idea of a Jimmy Buffet lifestyle, not so much the actual beach.  Now after being away for a couple years I'm ready for beach vacations again, but I still don't care to sit and sweat in the sand for hours, I'm more of a beach town/bar person...give me oysters and beer for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine!

W is the man!

He helped himself to some cake, and picked out a toy chainsaw at Wal-Mart.   Awesome.

I need to know that pole trick.  It would be neat to do that on the top of one of the Pioneer Hall poles after shimmying up one.

TCD

Yes he is and he is wearing that chainsaw out still!

I'll show you that trick one day but it may be tough on one of those big poles.

It took me a while but I'm all caught up.

Great pix. And it looks like y'all had a wonderful time.

Seaside is now on my bucket list. Can't wait to read the rest.

Thanks for reading, we did have a great time!

You should go to Seaside one day, its worth it.

More great pics!

I am a stay on the beach all day kind of person, provided I'm equipped with my huge umbrella, a good book, a comfortable chair, and lots of sunscreen.  

But I agree with W about cold, windy days.  I don't want my toes touching the sand then either.

Thanks!

Really I can't do all day at the beach I can handle it for a little while but I get a little bored or a lot hot.

WBI

Update time, it's still Tuesday, and we're coming up on our last night in Grayton Beach State Park.

IMAG3906.jpg

IMAG3908.jpg

After W played with his new chainsaw and did some wheelin around the campsite, we loaded up and drove back in to Seaside and headed to the Great Southern Café for happy hour.

We had heard that they have happy hour food and drink specials so we got a table outside next to a heater.

IMAG3910.jpg

IMAG3915.jpg

Notice W's drill in that last picture. lol

I didn't take a picture of the menu but the food specials were on their not so sushi rolls.  Basically it was some fancy non sushi type food but they were at great prices so we ordered a few and some drinks.

IMAG3916.jpg

I can't remember the details of that but it was cooked fish and it was delicious, sorry that's the only picture though.

After that we walked over to Pickles for a little something extra but couldn't make a decision so we got some fries to split so W would eat some.  They weren't that great and honeslty I'm ready to give up on Pickles there are much better options and to me it's not worth spending your money on.

Walking around Seaside.

IMAG3918.jpg

IMAG3919.jpg

IMAG3920.jpg

I'm not sure if you can tell but it was pretty cold that night so we didn't want to be out too much. 

Here's the house we had our rehearsal dinner at again, not sure why we took this picture but here you go:

IMAG3921.jpg

After that we headed to the trailer and ate some leftover deserts and relaxed, we have to leave tomorrow.

I'll finish up in the next post.

WBI

One more small update and this trip report is done.

Wednesday morning we woke up and did some more packing up, then we hopped in the truck and drove back to Seaside for breakfast at Great Southern Café again. lol

It was dead and we sat on the deck again in the sunshine and we had the whole outside area to ourselves so that meant W could run around which was great!

After filling up on gouda grits one last time we hit Modica Market for some road snacks and I took W to the green area to let him run around as much as possible.

IMAG3924.jpg

IMAG3925.jpg

IMAG3926.jpg

IMAG3927.jpg

IMAG3928.jpg

IMAG3929.jpg

Then we walked by the airstreams that weren't open yet but I thought I'd post a picture of the Melt menu for future reference.

IMAG3930.jpg

Then we said goodbye and headed back to the campsite to hook-up.

Here we are leaving the campground:

IMAG3931.jpg

IMAG3933.jpg

Our trip home was uneventful which is always nice.  W actually slept a lot which makes driving so much easier, and it worked out where we only stopped one time during the 7-8 hour drive.

We ate our Modica Market treats for lunch and I even tried this:

IMAG3934.jpg

And I have to say it was pretty good.

That's all I have, we had a great trip and can't wait to get back to Seaside.  I'm actually planning to book spring break 2016 there next week when it opens up.

Thanks for reading along!

WBI

Good job finishing the report!

It always surprises me to hear folks from Louisiana say that it's a 7-8 hour drive to Seaside for them.  That's how long it takes me to get there from where I live in Florida.

TCD

Thanks!

Yeah it's always a longer drive than I expect.  I used to tell people that it was only 6hrs and I think google says its 7hrs but I-10 in Louisiana is horrible so its usually closer to 8hrs, one trip it was 9hrs because of Baton Rouge traffic.

I remember telling people how long it took me to get to Naples and they were shocked, but Florida is a long state when you go through the panhandle.  I think it was 9hrs to get out of the state on the way to Louisiana!

Great TR!

Thanks!

WBI

Yeah it's always a longer drive than I expect.  I used to tell people that it was only 6hrs and I think google says its 7hrs but I-10 in Louisiana is horrible so its usually closer to 8hrs, one trip it was 9hrs because of Baton Rouge traffic.

Uh-oh.

The twins and I are the beginning stages of planning our cross-country drive to Disneyland in August.

What's my best strategy for 10 through Louisiana?  Early morning/late night/weekends?

TCD

Uh-oh.

The twins and I are the beginning stages of planning our cross-country drive to Disneyland in August.

What's my best strategy for 10 through Louisiana?  Early morning/late night/weekends?

TCD

Your best strategy is to plan it so you can stop for lunch at Poche's in Breaux Bridge. You'll thank me later.

Uh-oh.

What's my best strategy for 10 through Louisiana? Early morning/late night/weekends?

TCD

That's exciting!

Really the only area you need to plan around is Baton Rouge, other parts of I-10 and I-12 are bad but not really an issue. Mostly some bad pavement and lots of 18 wheelers but no stopped traffic.

Baton Rouge can be horrible during typical business times 7-9am and 2-7pm but for the most part I have trouble east bound not west bound.

BUT yesterday on my way back from New Orleans I hit Baton Rouge at 3:30pm and an accident on the Atchafalaya Basin caused the interstate to be completely closed for hours, that added to normal rush hour traffic caused some horrible traffic delays. We actually opted to stop and have dinner to avoid sitting on the interstate.

Don't let me scare you, just try not to hit Baton Rouge during rush hours and you'll be fine, especially west bound.

If you have time you can always stop in Lake Charles for some good food and a visit!

WBI

Great TR. Thanks for sharing. The menu at The Melt looks awesome. I think I'd eat everything on that menu twice. Lol

You may have said this before but I'm forgetful. Why CP?

Thanks!

CP: A long time ago on our first trip to the fort my girlfriend (now wife) some how got called a camping princess and it kind of stuck.

I honestly don't remember any more detail than that at this point.

WBI