The WBI Krewe Mardi Gras in Seaside

This isn't a Disney Trip but because I love Seaside and 30A and I know lots of Fiends do also I'm going to share my trip report.

Here in south Louisiana schools get off Lundi Gras, Mardi Gras, and Ash Wednesday aka the Mardi Gras holiday it's a nice treat for the teachers and students, growing up we always took a trip at this time, usually snow skiing but you'll find Louisiana's everywhere during this time.  As Specularious will tell you WDW is loaded with LA folks for Mardi Gras.

Anyway I get off Fat Tuesday also so back over the summer I figured this would be a good time to try out Grayton Beach State Park which is right near Seaside, FL.

Seaside is very special to us, as it's where we got married but honestly it's one of our favorite places on earth.

Did you know TCD introduced it to us? Way back in 2010 TCD posted a trip report of his spring break trip, well it intrigued me so much that on our road trip from Louisiana to Naples, FL we stopped at Seaside for the night, on New Years Eve 2010.  We fell in love spent easter 2011 there, and were married there on 11/12/11. 

Ok on to the report, our routine is to bring the fifth wheel to the house the weekend before we leave to prep and pack.  Our plan was to leave Friday after work.  Well on Wednesday I was talking to my boss who was headed to New Orleans on Friday and we got to talking about how bad traffic would be on I10 with all the mardi gras people.  With that in mind we decided to take off work on Friday also and leave at 4am.

So Friday we hit the road at 4:15am!

Our little guy, W, quickly fell back asleep, and we cruise with very little traffic until we finally hit Mississippi:

IMAG3600.jpg

Playing with a new feature on my phone, it takes front and back pictures at the same time:

IMAG3595.jpg

We've made this drive quite a few times in the last year and with our new truck I've figured out where I like to make our midway stop.  Well today we had some winds so I was really pushing my fuel tank but we rolled into the Flying J in Gulfport, MS four hours into our tip.

Would you believe W slept the whole time!  Winning!

After that we were soon in Alabama, sorry for the bad picture:

IMAG3605.jpg

Then Florida:

IMAG3611.jpg

At this point we had to stop.  My camping princess was born and raised in Florida and has never been to a Florida Welcome Center for free OJ, so she made me stop.

IMAG3612.jpg

IMAG3614.jpg

IMAG3616.jpg

IMAG3619.jpg

IMAG3622.jpg

IMAG3623.jpg

At this point we grabbed some snacks out of the trailer and while getting in the truck an RV pulled up next to us so I said hello and he found out we were going to Grayton Beach, he said he loved it, he was headed to the Fort!  I told him I was very jealous, lucky dog.

We then cruised along for another couple hours to Crestview where we finally exited I10 and hit up Whataburger for a milkshake and French fries. 

From this point it was an hour drive.

Just an fyi if you go this way there is a toll road bypass around Niceville, which is great, the toll for our rig was $4.50 one way, well worth it.  What sucks is the bridge you have to cross is also a toll bridge, that cost us $9.00!  for some reason I forgot it was that much.  Next time I might try the toll free route through Defuniak Springs.

Oh I also forgot to mention that my in-laws flew up to meet us.  They got to Seaside on Thursday and are staying in condo/cottage until Sunday.

Ok so we got to Grayton Beach with no issues, and our site was ready, but in all our excitement I forgot to take pictures, but no worry I'll get to it eventually.  Right now we had Nana and Papaw calling like crazy to see W so we got on our bikes and hit the road.

Bike selfie:

IMAG3625.jpg

It was 1.5 miles from our site to Seaside and not a bad ride at all.  (well unless its windy then the baby trailer acted like a sail)

Before you knew it we met the family, grabbed a cocktail at The Great Southern Café and were walking around Seaside.

We ended up here, where we said I do:

20150213_143618-20150217-143511745.jpg

That's the old Vera Bradley B&B "Inn By The Sea" it was sold and is now and private house owned by someone from Dallas.

At this point we visited a lot and then rode back to the camper to get ready for dinner at the Great Southern Café, but first we stopped at the rooftop bar at Bud & Alley's to see sunset and have a drink:

20150213_172603-20150217-143548770.jpg

Sorry that's all my pictures from Friday, dinner was great as usual, there was lot of good southern food, but their gouda grits are their best item!

Ok next up a full day at Seaside with 32oz mimosas, farmers market, bike rides and camp site pictures.

WBI

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, man,  I want to go to Seaside now.

As you know, we went every summer from the time the twins were just 3 years old up until they went off to college.

We also go other times of the year.  Our last trip was for Easter last year.  Sadly, that isn't happening this year.

Great Southern is our traditional first meal in Seaside.  Every trip.  It's a more expensive version of a GAG.

TCD

Yes.

I think they should have named their first child after me.

Or, at least I should be his godfather.

TCD

I have to agree with you. I'm a little disappointed in them. Is Andrew at least W's middle name? I hope so. Or maybe the godfather thing is still available, and it could happen in Seaside. 

Spent about a week 6 summers in a row staying in an efficiency apartment on the beach in Seaside when I was little.  I have not seen it since the hurricane.  I would not pick on it now while it is still recovering.  But you have to admit, the scenery is prettier in Florida.

First?

We take the way through Defuniak Springs, but it's the logical way for the direction we come. 

So you basically got married in Seaside because of TCD? 

Thanks for joining.

How is that Defuniak Springs route?  We did it once with no trailer but honestly I can't really remember it.

Yup pretty much, TCD introduced me to Seaside and in turn I introduced it to lots of family and friends who now all want to go there.

Second?

Thanks for joining.

Woo hoo!  I am HERE!!!!!  Number 3 I think?

Glad you could join!

Oh, man,  I want to go to Seaside now.

As you know, we went every summer from the time the twins were just 3 years old up until they went off to college.

We also go other times of the year.  Our last trip was for Easter last year.  Sadly, that isn't happening this year.

Great Southern is our traditional first meal in Seaside.  Every trip.  It's a more expensive version of a GAG.

TCD

Same here, we just left and we're already scheming a summer trip.

I knew you've been going a long time but I didn't know how long.  Sorry to hear you won't make Easter this year.

Great Southern actually became our traditional first meal by accident, we didn't realize it until this trip so I guess we'll keep it going.

Yes.

I think they should have named their first child after me.

Or, at least I should be his godfather.

TCD

The godfather position is still open, I'll put in a good word for you with CP.

We love What-A-Burger. How was the parking there? I've seen the sign, but not knowing the parking situation, have never tried to stop.

In on this trip report. 

Thanks for joining!

We actually had no clue how the parking was, but we eased up to the driveway and saw a nice big area so I risked it.  Turns out they have a sign that says RV parking.  Now it's not a huge area but I parked and got in and out with no issues, I think you would be fine parking and driving around and out of there. The problem I see is if you are headed back to I10.  I think there is a median so I'm not sure how you would pull out and cross lots of lanes to get over and head north, probably worth looking up on google maps first.

I have to agree with you. I'm a little disappointed in them. Is Andrew at least W's middle name? I hope so. Or maybe the godfather thing is still available, and it could happen in Seaside. 

hmm a godfather ceremony in Seaside, that would probably sell CP on the deal.

Hold up. The two sided picture thing. Can we talk about that?

Sure, it came with the latest android update on my Sprint HTC One M7.  It takes one picture then you click again and it takes the other side, its pretty neat.

Your Seaside is way pretty than the Seaside I grew up with.  But then Florida is prettier than NJ any day.

Little W is growing up fast.

yeah Florida Seaside is pretty hard to beat.

Yes he is!

I like how we get to watch the WBI family progress. I remember the Seaside wedding TR, now we have Disney with little W, and another Seaside.

Thanks for following along, that's what thing about trip reports I get to share but also relive all these trips!

WBI

Hey now, leave poor hurricane damaged, burned to the ground Seaside alone, Brian and I got engaged there.

Ok no picking Jersey Seaside.

I'm in. 

Thanks for joining.

Spent about a week 6 summers in a row staying in an efficiency apartment on the beach in Seaside when I was little.  I have not seen it since the hurricane.  I would not pick on it now while it is still recovering.  But you have to admit, the scenery is prettier in Florida.

Hmm good point.

Everything is better in Fl lol!!

lol I don't know about that but it is pretty nice!

As far as I know, there is no place called Seaside in New Jersey.

It's Seaside Heights.  And it's nothing like Seaside.  Nothing.

TCD

I've never been to that part of Jersey but I'll take your word for it.

Lazy New Yorker, drops the Heights. LOL

We call it seaside but my mom is always quick to point out the difference between Seaside Park and Heights. To me it's all the same but I think when she went as a little girl there was a big difference between the two, even if they are rigt next to each other.

Listen to your mother.

TCD

Ok now that we have that cleared up I'll try to update.

WBI

Ok it's not Saturday morning on the Emerald Coast, the plan was for us to drive to Seaside, pick up the inlaws and go to Another Broken Egg.

My Maw-in-law loves their cinnamon roll French toast.

Breakfast was great as usual, sorry no pics, then we took the in-laws to see the campground and camper.

They are not campers, MIL's idea of camping is the Holiday Inn so we didn't stay long and headed to Seaside to hit the Farmer's Market.

But first I had to fix a problem.  We hadn't had a Modica Market Mimosa yet.

IMAG3627.jpg

32ounces of goodness right there.  Don't worry I shared it with CP.

We shopped and ate a little at the farmer's market then played in the amphitheater while the women continued shopping.

IMAG3630.jpg

IMAG3632.jpg

Then the women moved to the other stores so we followed along and found a spot to relax because they shop forever!

IMAG3634.jpg

IMAG3636.jpg

I think at this point W had his first big fall of the trip, for some reason this trip he would get so excited and be running and trip and fall.  I think four of these falls resulted it horrible scrapes or bruises to his head.  He quickly got over each one but it looked bad the whole trip.  There wasn't anything we could do though he was just having too much fun.

Ok this is a short post but I'll pick back up in the morning with pictures of our campground.

WBI

32 ounce mimosas? I need to get one of those. 

Jason swears he's seen golf carts on the path into Seaside. I kind of remember that too, but can't be certain. Doesn't anyone know? 

I highly recommend the mimosas BUT they are pricey, I had sticker shock this time at check-out but I still paid and enjoyed.  Like Disney some things along 30A have a premium but on vacation we like to indulge some.

Since we had just talked about the golf carts I was on the look out and I did see some in Seaside but not many.  I didn't notice any parking passes but I didn't really look.  This was kind of an odd weekend for Seaside, they had huge crowds but the workers said it was a lot of locals that drove in, and at night or early morning it looked to be true as a lot of houses looked empty.  So that was probably why I didn't see many golf carts.  Oh and one town, we visited Rosemary Beach I think, specifically had a sign that said no golf carts or GEM vehicles.

Here's a thought you can drive a street legal cart on roads under 35mph right?  Well the speed limit between Grayton Beach State park and Seaside is 25mph, but then again 30A is a highway so that doesn't apply, never mind.

That is one big mimosa.  

Yes it is, and they are pretty generous with the champagne and its not served in a girly champagne glass.

WBI