Tent options  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Should we rent a tent?

• Yes, its fun and easy!
    • Nah, just set up the loaner tent and hope for the best
    • Rent one for the first night only, then set up the loaner the next day

OK. it's our second trip. thanks to y'all we have a better understanding of the loops.Now, we get in kinda late (11:00 PM) and last year we just used my backpacking tent which I can set up with my eyes closed. We have some friends willing to loan us a bigger one but I have no idea whats involved in pitching it, so we're considering "renting" a tent. They (Disney) set it up and its big enough to stand in. Has anyone done this? Should we just take our friends up on their offer and just set up a tent were not familiar with or is the Disney one nice?

I have not priced the Disney tent, but personally, I would just rent a camper.  We have rented from Fort Camper Rental in the past and been thrilled!  My family was tent campers before we tried renting a pop-up.  The thrill of not being damp when it rained made our vacation that much more magical!

Hmm... if you're determined to tent it and will be coming in that late, I'd be inclined to go with the Disney rental for the first night.  Then you can sort out the loaner in the daylight - although if it was me I'd want to get a chance to set it up ahead of time and make sure it's going to work. Of course if it were me and I was driving in, I might be just as inclined to sleep in the car the first night. 

However as Marty suggested, a popup might be a good option too.  Whereas the Disney rental tent is just that... a tent and nothing more, the popups generally come fully stocked so you can just show up with your clothes and toiletries.  And you can still put a popup on the partial loops if you're looking to be away from things a bit and feel more like camping than parked in the middle of a bunch of big campers.

First off....way to go!  Starting a poll with your second post!  

I voted to set up the loaner tent.  Mainly because I wouldn't suggest paying Disney's rates for a tent.  

But, I do like Marty's suggestion of renting a pop up.  I haven't compared rates, but they can't be THAT much more than a Disney tent.  

re: cost

Disney tent is $32/night for just the tent.  Fort Camper Rental's rates are currently...

We rent our campers to guests at Fort Wilderness, with a 3 night minimum of $69 per night for the pop up. (Does not include the cost of the site)

http://fortcamperrental.com/

If the budget allows, I'd go popup and pack a small bag.  :)

Big tents can be pretty complicated. I wouldn't try one for the first time in the dark, especially that late at night. 

I think it depends on your wants and budget. I really like Fort Camper Rental. Curt's a great guy and even leaves gifts for the kids (if you have them). But I also know some people are serious tent campers. We used to be that way. I'd just have a hard time renting a tent for that price when for about $30 more I'd have a fridge and other amenities. 

If you decide to tent, I'd practice setting it up. Some are easy. Sadly, the last Coleman we bought was a nightmare. 

On the subject of renting a tent from Disney, I'll never forget this post:

My mother rented a tent from Fort Wilderness. It was kind of gross and moldy, but she knew this would be a onetime thing for her and she didn't want to buy a tent.

Here a couple of pictures of that nasty thing:

IMG_20130809_161532_921_zps832362f0.jpg.

IMG_20130809_161706_915_zps07b34406.jpg

IMG_20130809_161633_440_zps0a9ce80f.jpg

That tent is clearly full of mildew from being put away wet. I don't even want to think about how bad it must have smelled inside.

Don't rent a tent from Disney. The place is run by idiots.

TCD

Ok I missed that post the first time around. Eek!!

yeah... I'd go with popup or sleep in the car the first night.

What makes that experience that woman had with a rental tent particularly outrageous is that a couple of Castmembers were sent to that site to set up the tent that she was paying $32 a night for, and thought it was perfectly acceptable for a guest to sleep in that.  That is so wrong.

TCD

I can not believe Disney would do that.  That is just so outrageous.  They need to send the pictures to Disney and ask for a refund of every penny they ever spent on a Disney product. 

To the OP there are not too many tents out there that with a little practice can't be set up easily.  I would probably not rent from Disney just based on price but after seeing those pictures there is no way I would rent a tent from Disney. They truly deserve their money back and then some. 

How many people and are any of them very young or very old, and are you flying or driving?  Not knowing that, I first agree with  the idea of renting a popup - had a great experience with Fort Camper Rentals.  But if you want to tent, unless the loaner is older I'd guess it's just a larger version of the backpacking tent you have. We have a couple of smaller tents and a couple of larger ones and they're all just the poles with stretchy cords inside that you put together and then you slide them through the side and top loops and criss cross them at the top of the tent and raise it. And then you're in your own hopefully clean tent and not a potentially moldy Disney tent that over several days will cost more than buying a tent.

Agreed, that is disgusting.   I did see some of the rental tents on the group site last year and they were larger, very clean, and had bunk beds set up in them. Not sure if you can request what size you get.

As far as tents at FW goes, after a Disney tree fell on my Class C while parked in the 1900 loop a few years ago I would never sleep in a tent there. The tree demolished the top bunk area I can only imagine what the same thing would do to a tent....

Unfortunately it just takes one time putting a tent away wet for a while to do that.

Of course you'd think someone there would know that.

Then again, someone there should know that no guest should ever be expected to pay for that tent.  :(

Exactly.  It took two sets of incompetent CM's to deliver that less than magical experience for that poor guest.

TCD

OK. We have decided to just buy a small "party tent" thingy to add to our site in case of rain because we LOVE the idea of a popup for Fort Camper! Unfortunately, he doesn't have one for the dates we are there but we are looking to try one in July. I know, its HOT in July. Do the have A/C? We figure we can still use the new tent thingy even if we switch to a popup family?

OK. We have decided to just buy a small "party tent" thingy to add to our site in case of rain because we LOVE the idea of a popup for Fort Camper! Unfortunately, he doesn't have one for the dates we are there but we are looking to try one in July. I know, its HOT in July. Do the have A/C? We figure we can still use the new tent thingy even if we switch to a popup family?

Yep, they have AC, and it's COLD. I'm in one of his PUPs in my July trip report if you want to check that out. We actually had to turn it down because we were freezing.