Other attractions near the Fort besides Disney

For the adventuresome people that have the time to take a day trip and not go to Disney, here's a suggestion.

http://www.lowryparkzoo.org/lantern/

Now until May 31, Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa is hosting Zoominations, a Chinese Lantern Festival nightly from 6-10 or 6-11.

It's an extra charge for the festival.  You can purchase just a ticket for the festival, or a combo zoo/festival ticket.

The festival tickets are $25, but if you look on Groupon or Living Social you can get them at 1/2 price.

Our family went Friday night and had a great time.  We used to be zoo members, and went yearly to the Halloween and Christmas festivals, but this blew both of them away.

The Zoo is only about a mile or 2 off of I-275 so once you are done fighting the I-4/275 traffic it's not hard to get to.

Also, maybe we could get this topic set up as a permanent thread?

Lists of places to go and things to do that aren't Disney related.

There are tons of concerts coming to Tampa during the rest of the year, and Orlando also.

Garth Brooks is coming to Tampa (Ticketmaster sales start 4/10) and Orlando got the Stones.

Lots of great parks and recreation areas nearby.

Festivals are coming too.  Blueberry Festival I think is this coming weekend or the following one.

I know the main reason people visit the Fort is the Mouse, but sometimes just getting away for the day is a pleasant diversion.

We will be at the Fort next month.  We have one day scheduled to drive to Clearwater Marine Aquarium.  Our son wants to meet Winter the dolphin.  Maybe next year we will schedule a day or two and visit Legoland.  That's not too far either.

Give yourself some extra time for the drive to see Winter.

Traffic in the Tampa Bay area came be really frustrating at times.

LEGOLAND can be done in 1 day if you are rushing or depending on your sons age and what rides are appropriate and how much time you spend walking around the miniature cities.

They have added the waterpark so that takes up some time, and the LEGOLAND hotel opens next month.

LEGOLAND can be done in 1 day if you are rushing or depending on your sons age and what rides are appropriate and how much time you spend walking around the miniature cities.

They have added the waterpark so that takes up some time, and the LEGOLAND hotel opens next month.

Hmmmmm, I went on a weekday in early December a couple of years ago.  I strolled through all of the Lego cities at a leisurely pace, strolled through the gardens TWICE, saw 2 of the shows, and rode all of the attractions (except for the ones for the very small kids), all in a non-rushed manner. The waterpark wasn't there yet, though.

Hmmmmm, I went on a weekday in early December a couple of years ago.  I strolled through all of the Lego cities at a leisurely pace, strolled through the gardens TWICE, saw 2 of the shows, and rode all of the attractions (except for the ones for the very small kids), all in a non-rushed manner. The waterpark wasn't there yet, though.

I agree, it's not a big park, but depending on what rides you want to go one, they can have long lines. Of course nothing like the Mine Train lines.

It takes forever for the attendants to get the kids situated on some of the rides, like the jousting one.  I think it takes them longer to get them strapped in, than the length of time they are on the ride.

And most of the rides are geared for the grade school thru middle school ages.

But it is a relaxing park and it has shade!

Busch Gardens in Tampa is a great attraction especially if you like coasters

Yup, a fun place.

I was looking to get something going with more smaller home grown types of attractions, concerts and festivals.

Who knows, your favorite artist might be performing an hour away and unless you were checking the local and regional news you wouldn't even know.

I have no problem posting links to upcoming events and local types of attractions.

Did you know about an hour north of Tampa you can see mermaids performing daily?

Thanks for the tip.  I appreciate it.  We have prepaid tickets for a photo op with Winter in the morning.  I will definitely leave earlier so we are not late for that.

Thanks for the tip.  I appreciate it.  We have prepaid tickets for a photo op with Winter in the morning.  I will definitely leave earlier so we are not late for that.

I would add an hour extra onto what ever travel time you are quoted.

I-4 coming into Tampa is a parking lot most mornings and then then Hwy 60 from Tampa to Clearwater can be stop and go.

Once you get there it's a fun place.

Make sure you take the included side trip over to the part that has the movie props.  You can either go by boat or bus.

Wekiwa Springs State Park is fun.  Get there early in the day as when the parking lot is full no more cars are allowed to enter.  Swimming in the spring is fun on a hot day.  Picnic areas,  hiking trails, even camping.  It's about an hour or more, depending on traffic, from the Fort.   

https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Wekiwa-Springs

FL Blueberry Festival is going on this weekend.

https://www.floridablueberryfestival.org/

It's in Brooksville

Admission:
$8  (18+ years)
$5  (6-17 years)
FREE  (Under 5 years old)

• LIVE MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT
  • STREET ENTERTAINMENT
  • ISLAND GROVE WINE BAR
  • FRESH BLUEBERRIES
  • RETAIL STORE
  • BLUEBERRY KIDS ZONE
  • 120 RETAIL EXHIBITORS
  • 85 ARTISANS
  • 20 FOOD CONCESSIONAIRES

• BLUEBERRY THEATER
  • BEER GARDEN
  • MONSTER TRANSMISSION'S CAR SHOW
  • MONSTER TRANSMISSION'S TRUCK SHOW
  • MAGIC SUZY
  • FRITZY BROTHER'S INC.

• MIKE WEAKLY STILTFUN
  • TRICKY DOGS SHOW
  • WIGGLES FRIENDS
  • IRON MAN MOTORCYCLE
  • BAT BIKE

Lots of assorted bands also

• 2 weeks later...

But do they still have a Free beer tent in the middle?  That made the whole experience better in some way that I couldn't quite put into words.....   ;)

That went away shortly after Anheiser sold the parks.

You are more than welcome to dig deep in your pockets to purchase a Bud.

What I found hilarious is at Sea World they had a kiosk selling craft beers... Sam Adams and Landshark

That went away shortly after Anheiser sold the parks.

You are more than welcome to dig deep in your pockets to purchase a Bud.

What I found hilarious is at Sea World they had a kiosk selling craft beers... Sam Adams and Landshark

I am now saddened in ways I did not think possible.......  but at least I still have my memories.

I'd like to plug this business.

http://www.itsatrapgame.com/

My godson is one of the actors 'helping' the guests find clues to escape the locked room.  So I hope this business does well.  Some of the write ups about this say it's for nerds, I must have a bit of nerd in me.  I enjoyed it a lot.  We had a group of eight, ranging in ages from early 20s to early 70s.  We all contributed to finding the clues and solving the puzzle. 

worlds largest McDonalds is in Orlando I haven't been yet but plan on going on the next trip. says there are a hundred arcade games and a bowling alley inside. plus they are soon to build a new one to replace that one

worlds largest McDonalds is in Orlando I haven't been yet but plan on going on the next trip. says there are a hundred arcade games and a bowling alley inside. plus they are soon to build a new one to replace that one

We haven't been there in a few years. It's at the corner of Sand Lake and International Drive.