Planning on Tent only at FW, but wondering Golf Cart vs Refrigerator rental?

I'll be doing a camping trip with 2 adults and 2 kids to WDW in August, but have never stayed at Fort Wilderness.

I'd like to be able to solely bring in a tent/tarp with back country cooking stoves and such (we'll be flying in solely with backpacks)

I'm wondering on location of the tent loops, and their proximity to picking up perishables at the onsite provision stores.

We most probably will be buying food and have it shipped/sent to our site before we arrive (for all non-perishables, such as 'just add water' pouch meals).

But, I definitely would love to have access to perishables on many days.

1) Is renting a refrigerator something that can be easily done from an outside party? Does anyone have any resources or links to companies in Orlando that can bring one in for me? Do some of the outside grocery stores that bring in food, do this kind of thing also?

I'm having a hard time finding any fridge rental options with quick perusing and searches. (I'd happily rent a caravan in the Orlando area, but that will add a substantial amount of expenditures, just so that I can get a fridge, and not use much or at all to travel off-site)

2) I'm also wondering if renting a golf cart could easily offset the fridge option, and it would be easy to just go and get a quart of milk, or eggs, or meat, or fresh vegetables each day we were cooking at our site.

Hi there, welcome. I love your enthusiasm, but I just can't help to think it would benefit you in every way to consider renting a pop up tent trailer and have a local grocery service stock it. If you must tent camp, the loops are not too far for a walk to the meadows or settlement grocery, but they do close at 10 pm and are closed until 10 am I do believe. I'm not aware of any refrigerator rentals, but you may make a friend here that would lend/bring/share one with you. Disney is a ton of fun and work in a way- that makes me want to reccomended you have a little luxury on your trip.

Good luck!

I've not heard of anyone doing a fridge-swap at the Fort, but who knows? If you're cab'ing it from the airport, it might be worth a stop at Walmart to straight-up buy a dorm fridge. I would not, however, rely on the trading posts to stock your fridge... I've seen better pricing on a mini-bar!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most cab companies will give you a stop on the way in for groceries and in August the refrigerator is a great idea.  We have never really relied on the Meadows for groceries beyond odds and ends because it gets pricey and the selection is limited.  We tried using a cooler one summer, but it would have been cheaper to buy the refrigerator than what we spent on ice.

2) I'm also wondering if renting a golf cart could easily offset the fridge option, and it would be easy to just go and get a quart of milk, or eggs, or meat, or fresh vegetables each day we were cooking at our site.

First off,    :welcome2:  and imho, a Golf Cart ALWAYS wins....yes you can run and get food, and its too much fun to "loop" - ride around and check out the Fort!  Tent camping in the Fort in August is definitely not for the faint of heart.  With a cart, nothing is more than 5 minutes away.  

Golf cart gets you around and a ridge will keep food cold......lol. Also I believe a golf cart would win vs a fridge :)

Always!

where has all the snarkyness gone?  Nobody responds to my post anymore.  I must be alienated again...lol  This place is getting too serious

Nanner Nanner Boo Boo... :SnarkyGCT:

Do you have any experience with Orlando weather in late August.  I know its the value season and so the costs in the tent loop are reasonable in comparision to other times of the year.  I see people do it but it will not be comfortable.  The golf cart will save you money in that with it, you will be able to skip a day or two of going to the theme parks and just stay in the campground.  Golf carts are $50 a day and a theme park is $105 a day per person.  Renting a pop up is a good suggestion (because it will have a refrig and A/C)but it could be more expensive than buying a tent,$200, a box fan, $25.  a small refrig, $80. and a good air mattress, $60.  I would look at what Walmart has so that you can order it from Walmart.com in advance and have it waiting for you at the local store.  You won't need sleeping bags, just a sheet from home.  If your plans are still incomplete in July, sent me a PM.  I like to come up then only because the price is reasonable and I have a spare small refrig and fan.  It is still to early for me to make plans that far out.

We tent camp, use coolers, have never rented a golf cart (we do have vehicle with us if we need to drive to Kissimmee for more affordable food once a trip) and make it fine.  We don't mind the interior Fort bus rides but would like to have a golf cart to loop and find other Fiends - it just hasn't been a place we could drop money yet. We travel with a box fan, a panini for cooking, and an attitude of adventure!  Enjoy your trip - whatever you decide!

First of all welcome.

I did some research online and even called a few places but I can't find anyone that rents fridges.

As others have said a pop up would be good option. I would rather have a pop up then a golf cart. If you want to rent camp I would call someone like Garden Grocers and have the food delivered. They might be able to bring Dry Ice for your cooler.

I know that fridge-swaps used to be a big deal on Voldemort, back when I used to frequent it, so it maybe worth looking there. A stop at Walmart on the way from the airport and a stop at Goodwill on the way to it sounds a lot easier to me, though.

Thanks a bunch for all the feedback.  There's some nice tidbits above to contemplate, while trying to make decision on a big trip for us (the adults haven't been to Disney in a while, and the kids, never...)

Yeah, we're doing the DME bus, but I could easily not take it, if a day rental might be in the works, so that we can 'load up' with goodies on the way in.

I think we're leaning towards to a camper/popup rental, due to the potential heat/humidy at that time of the year.  This will get us a fridge, so we could load up on food.  It will also give 'peace of mind' to allow us to do a mid-day park nap or relax with A/C (which couldn't happen mid-day with a tent only)

You can rent a car at the airport the day you arrive and return. It at Disnetworld. We always use enterprise. . Pick up at the airport, go to the store, go to Disney. The next morning we return it to their location at the B Resort. Then they will bring back to the Fort to any Disney hotel you want. There is also free shuttle bus you can take to any park. Remember that if you rent a car and don't use DME to bring you to the Fort you can still have them take you to the airport the day you leave.

If your arriving late and don't want to get a rental car that night simply take DME to the Fort and have enterprise car rental pick you up the next morning and then go shopping and return the car the next day.

Another option is to have your goodies delivered. We have used Garden Grocer and have been really pleased with them. They will even deliver beer and wine. I'm sending you. Private message with the info.

If you rent a pop-up camper from Fort Camper Rental, I believe they also offer a grocery shopping service for a slight charge.  Curt, who runs and owns Fort Camper Rental, is a great guy.  I have stayed in his campers three times now and always been thrilled.  Here is his website: http://www.fortcamperrental.com/

I'm gonna second, third, fourth, whatever, the high prices at the Trading Posts.  A few staples are approximately the same price you'd pay at a local grocery store, but many items cost as much as three times the grocery store prices.  And you will find little fresh produce there.   Definitely stock up on your way into the Fort.

Golf cart gets you around and a ridge will keep food cold......lol. Also I believe a golf cart would win vs a fridge :)

Fridge or golf cart? Yes a golf cart will get you around but a fridge will keep your beer cold. Drive or cold beer. I'd go for cold beer.

I think Ray's suggestion of renting a car is a good one. You could pick up a cheap cooler or two on your way to The Fort and fill it with groceries and drinks. That would free you up for a golf cart.

• 4 months later...