• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I see that Marty started a trip report, and in it mentioned the sketchy directions she got from a CM on how to get to a Target.   Gee, the nerve of her wanting to leave the comfort of WDW property and

1-  If any of you like to go to farmers Markets, the Winter Garden one on Saturday mornings,  8 or 9 am to 1-2pm  I usually go early to get a parking place without searching for one.  Lots of parking

What ever you do if you are the passenger in a car do not distract the driver by noticing the skywriter. You may end up with the scenic route to your resort.

Definitely.... :)

We stayed at the Hilton Grand Vacation Resort on Vineland at the end of the mall by International.

Took us about 15 to 20 minutes to get to Wilderness Lodge for Sunday breakfast (and that was behind a Disney bus).

Was easy getting over there and checking in after we left EPCOT Saturday afternoon.

Didn't know about the Harbor Freight.

We have one about a mile from home.  Great place to get inexpensive tools, bungees, tent stakes, and simple hardware.

The CVS at 536/536 is closer, but I see that it's only open until midnight.

The Walgreens on 435 is open 24 hours.

If you're heading to Disney from Tampa and realize you need something from Harbor Freight there is also one on Rt 98 in Lakeland, north of I-4 and a couple of miles past the Lakeland Mall.

If you just need something and aren't too particular about where to go,  the easiest thing to remember is for Camping World, Walgreens and Publix, take World Drive to 192 East.  Target, Publix, Walgreens, Dollar Store, Ross, etc., take World Drive to 192 West.  If you head West on 192 and get to Orange Lake Resort, you've passed everything. Walmarts are a bit farther, 192 East into Kissimmee, or 192 west into Clermont, onto Rt 27 North.  Plus the other Walmarts mentioned in these posts.

Thanks.  

Does anyone know if there is an Aldi nearby?  What about a natural food store?  

Aldi is our go to grocery store.

None are close but there is one that is just a couple of turns to get there from the back way out of the Fort.

765 W Sand Lake Rd

Orlando 32809

If you are familiar with the area, Sand Lake is where that giant McDonalds is at the corner of International Dr.

The Aldi is east on Sand Lake across from the Florida Mall.

There is a Whole Foods on Sand Lake between Turkey Lake and I-4.

There is one  (ALDI'S) 6 miles closer on 192, 4425 West Vine St.

I need to figure out which Wal-mart we stumbled onto to shop.  I think it was in Kissimmee and it had a Murphy's gas station.  That place was very sketchy after dark.  Nobody in the store spoke English or pretended they didn't.  Got accosted by 3 people claiming to be taxi drivers and would take us where ever we wanted to go.  The one even took the cart from me and started to jog away with it.  I ran after him and pushed him off.  Also we took notice to the two marked security cars patrolling the lot.  Then as we were loading up my truck .....wait for it.........we heard a gun shot.

That's why we go to the one on Turkey Lake a little further to drive, but better produce and clientle.

I think there's a Dollar Tree near that one also.

We rarely make it further up Turkey Lake than the Central Florida underpass heading towards SeaWorld.

That is another good shortcut, allowing you to avoid the Sand Lake mess there by I-4.

Wow... lots of great information!!

Great idea to put this all in one place!

If y'all want to keep putting info into this thread, I'll sort it all out and make a permanent Info page for it and link it to the Site Map page so that it's easy to find in the future.

Thanks Mo!

For the folks staying at AKL or the All Stars here's a couple of nearby places.

For AKL looks like you can leave the property then take a right onto Sherberth Rd to 192 which is the least amount of turns.

For the adventurous take a right off Sherberth onto Silver Lakes Blvd to Black Lake Rd to 192.  You will be a lot closer to a Super Target and a Publix than if you went straight out on Sherberth

Target  
3200 Rolling Oaks Blvd
Kissimmee, FL 34747
(321) 677-3971

open 8 till midnight

On 192 just before the 429 overpass

Publix Super Market at Orange Lake Town Center  
Town Center At Orange Lake
14928 E Orange Lake Blvd
Kissimmee, FL 34747

(407) 239-4989

Looks like they stay open late on weekdays   7 a.m. to 11 p.m.

Orange Lake Blvd is opposite the entrance to the Target.

All Stars can either go out to Osceola to Sherberth or Osceola to World Drive.

1-  If any of you like to go to farmers Markets, the Winter Garden one on Saturday mornings,  8 or 9 am to 1-2pm  I usually go early to get a parking place without searching for one.  Lots of parking on both sides of market.

This FM has lots of things to look at and buy.  But 90% of my time I only go to buy fruit and vegies from Sally's Tomatoes.  It's the smaller stand run by an older couple (about my age).  They are very careful how they treat the food before selling it to you,  aka strawberries do not sit well in the sun and things like that. John is a fount of knowledge about the food they sell.  Last weekend they had fresh corn on the cob, tomatoes, peaches, cucumbers, oranges, egg plants (2 kinds), spaghetti squash, melons and more.

To get there do like Grumpy says, "Turn left on Vista Drive. Take it until it dead ends at 535 (ignore the company vehicles only sign, everyone does) "  at the T intersection, turn left onto 535.  It will seem far (I think it is about 10 miles-I will check on Sat.)  BUT on the left  you will pass the Publix (we call it the Reams road Publix :) that is not it's name but it is what we call it),  after a school zone 40mph, you come to a light controlled intersection.  You will turn left to stay on 535. (Just in case you need another shopping area there is a Publix and more shops if you go straight thru the intersection, they are  on the left.)  You are still on 535.  You will go under the bridge of 429 ( this is route I take to go around I-4 traffic to Longwood) but you  keep on 535, on the right will be a shopping center with all kinds of stores, Target on one end to Lowes on the other.  Lots of eating places in this stretch also.   Keep going on 535  PLEASE FOLLOW SPEED SIGNS I HAVE SEEN LOTS OF COPS CHECKING  it's 35mph in this area.  Keep going, pass over RT. 50  Go to a left turn . Now of course I do not know the name of the street, but it's past the Ace Hardware, down a few blocks and just after a vet's sign.  Also think they have signs for pubic parking. 

There are lots of tents set up, with a wide selection of goods to buy.  There is a knife sharpener man who will work while you shop.  Flowers and plants, crafts.  FOOD to eat.  There is a large vegetable/fruit set up under the roof.  BUT  don't shop there until checking out Sally and John, they are set up under tents across from the big set-up.  Sally's tomatoes are so good, they are very picky about the quality of the food they purchase to sell.  Almost every time I'm there I hear someone say, "I only buy my tomatoes from Sally and John." 

I know this sounds convoluted but they are good.  I think there is a Campers World west on RT. 50. 

2- The Aldi's in Kissimmee is across 192 from the Wal-Mart.  Think there is a WaWa on corner also , same side as Aldi's..

3- That shortcut mentioned is also a good way to Outback Steak House.

4-  I mostly go to the Wal-Mart on Turkey Lake Road.  Yes the Dollar Tree in same side of road up just a little.  There is now a light to help traffic turning.

5- Also on most Mondays John and Sally set up on Turkey Lake Road just past the Post Office, same side of road.  Time is afternoon 4ish? to dark, weather permitting Usually don't have as big a selection as Saturday, but always have tomatoes.  Be careful parking, it's best to turn in and turn around to position yourself to be able to get out.   There are people who have no worry about blocking other cars.

6- NEVER buy gas at the station located at I-4 and 535.  They are always higher it was $4.19 yesterday.  Most local stations are in the $2.49 area.  Also Hess station on property has very reasonable prices, maybe a cent or two above off property.  They also have good pizza, don't deliver though.  I've noticed local Hess' have changed to Speedway, so don't know if these will change on WDW or not.

Not directly on-topic, but closely related. We don't like leaving the Disney bubble, so I think from now on we will spend our first night at Sherwood Forest or Tropical Palms, both so we are not paying Disney rates for a late-arrival but also so we are close to Walmart to restock and Cracker Barrel to eat cheap before entering the "bubble". And still easily make check-in at the Fort.

To get there do like Grumpy says, "Turn left on Vista Drive. Take it until it dead ends at 535 (ignore the company vehicles only sign, everyone does) "  at the T intersection, turn left onto 535.  It will seem far (I think it is about 10 miles-I will check on Sat.)  BUT on the left  you will pass the Publix (we call it the Reams road Publix :) that is not it's name but it is what we call it),  after a school zone 40mph, you come to a light controlled intersection.  You will turn left to stay on 535. (Just in case you need another shopping area there is a Publix and more

6- NEVER buy gas at the station located at I-4 and 535.  They are always higher it was $4.19 yesterday.  Most local stations are in the $2.49 area.  Also Hess station on property has very reasonable prices, maybe a cent or two above off property.  They also have good pizza, don't deliver though.  I've noticed local Hess' have changed to Speedway, so don't know if these will change on WDW or not.

If disobeying signs bothers you, at the stop sign before you enter that section of the road, bear right and go to the next stop sign which is Buena Vista Drive.  Turn left until you hit 535, then follow the previous directions.

Most of the Hess stations in Tampa have changed to Speedways.  We still have 1 or 2 hold outs.  Not sure if they are changing over, but the conversion only took 1 day at 2 of the stations so don't know what the hold up would be.

Wa Wa's have great sandwiches and coffee drinks.  They usually have some sort of special going on with coffee (79 cents any size right now), bottled juices/teas, or a sandwich special.

RaceTrac has a special going on right now, buy a double walled Sodapalooza cup for $7.99 and refill it with soda or slushes for free until 7/31.  And they don't lock you out for so many minutes, you don't even go to the register.  Comes with $15 worth of coupons in it also.  They redid their sandwich selections, they are now a lot fresher and really good.

If disobeying signs bothers you, at the stop sign before you enter that section of the road, bear right and go to the next stop sign which is Buena Vista Drive.  Turn left until you hit 535, then follow the previous directions.

Good advice.

Most of the Hess stations in Tampa have changed to Speedways.  We still have 1 or 2 hold outs.  Not sure if they are changing over, but the conversion only took 1 day at 2 of the stations so don't know what the hold up would be.  We buy our pizzas from the Hess near DTD, good price and taste good too.  Do you know if the Speedways sell pizza?

Good advice.

Most of the Hess stations in Tampa have changed to Speedways.  We still have 1 or 2 hold outs.  Not sure if they are changing over, but the conversion only took 1 day at 2 of the stations so don't know what the hold up would be.  We buy our pizzas from the Hess near DTD, good price and taste good too.  Do you know if the Speedways sell pizza?

I don't usually go inside the stations when I get gas, but they seem to have kept the same signage in the windows, just changed the name and colors.

This is the lunch menu from their website.  They show pizza, not sure if it's the same.

They have a rewards card/app, and just about anything you purchase gives you points.

Hot Lunch Sandwiches
  • Boneless BBQ Rib Hoagie
  • Spicy Chicken & Cheese
  • Honey Mustard Grilled Chicken
  • Cheeseburger
  • Applewood Smoked Bacon Cheeseburger
Speedy Stuffers
  • Pepperoni & Mozzerella
Speedy Pizza 
  • Pepperoni 
  • Sausage 
7th Street Deli