Offically new here but have been lurking for years.  Thanks for all the info and help everyone continues to provide.

Yellow Fly Alert:

My family just returned from the Fort and thought I would give eveyone a heads-up that the yellow flies or deer flies were more abundant than I remember from years past. If you're not familier with these pests, they are a type of horse fly and more persistent and more painful than mosquitoes. The good news, the peak yellow fly season in FL last only from about May to June.

Black Bears:

FWIW, late last week two FL black bears were spotted near the Meadow Swimmin' Pool. Notifications were posted on the doors at each Comfort Station.  According to one Cast Member they were caught on several cameras and she also mentioned that these were likely the offspring of two that were spotted in 2012.

Hey Tuke: 2sgn056welcometrain.gif

.I've never seen or heard of the cameras that the CM says they were caught on.  

That's why it's not a good idea to go "skinny dippin" at the pool after midnight. You never know who's watching.  :rotfl6:

Yes, me too.  My wife mentioned the notification on the Comfort Station and my only thought was of the occurance of young bears that stray from their habitat and wander through suburbia. The letter from the website below was almost identical to the notifications posted this past week.  The only difference I can remember is a statements directed towards Disney's commitment to this species' recovery.

http://ouroutdoortravels.blogspot.com/2013/06/tent-camping-at-ft-wilderness-at-walt.html

We were in the 1500 loop for Memorial Day weekend, and I can be the poster child for these PITA yellow fly bites.

You can still do connect the dots on my ankles from the bites.

They finally stopped itching, but they are still red.

We encountered them on a couple of other trips, but this was by far the worst infestation.

On the upside, I only got 1 mosquito bite!

No bears or gators this trip, but plenty of turkeys.

I wouldn't mind seeing one or two as long as they didn't become a nuisance as they are out west. I don't recall a camping trip to the Sierras or Rockies that we didn't see at least one black bear come through the campground. 

Speaking of black bears the news just reported there is one treed in a Fayettville neighborhood. Ran up the tree after being startled by the home owners dogs. My guess it will come down over the next couple of nights but you never know. An aunt and uncle of mine out near the coast had one in a tree for a week before it would come down and leave.