Rumor: Extra Magic Hours Going Away?

This is still just a big fat rumor, although it's gaining traction quickly on the interwebz.  Keep in mind it wouldn't be the first time there was a hiccup in the published hours that got rectified later.  But just for the sake of discussion and speculation...

Extra Magic Hours not included on provisional operating hours schedule for 2016
Jun 16, 2015 | 7:49am EDT

Could Extra Magic Hours be about to be discontinued? The provisional operating hours schedule that is distributed to travel agents ahead of their publication on the official Walt Disney World website certainly hints at that.

Although provisional and therefore not confirmed, the travel agent operating hours schedule does not list any Extra Magic Hours for any parks from January 1 2016 onwards. Historically, the provisional hours do include Extra Magic Hours, although times and entertainment line-ups listed do frequently get updated.

Also adding weight to the possibility of changes coming to EMH is a note on the Downtown Disney Hilton website, which states Extra Magic Hours is 'a magical guest benefit for stays through to December 31 2015.'

Of course, it could simply be a matter of the EMH schedule being finalized, or a number of other reasons for the hours not yet being included.

Extra Magic Hours were introduced in 2004 to give Walt Disney World Resort guests time in the parks before or after offsite guests were admitted. For many years, EMH has been heavily promoted as a significant benefit to staying a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.

Extra Magic Hours offerings have been gradually scaled back in recent years. Disney's Animal Kingdom removed evening Extra Magic Hours back in February 2011, the water park Extra Magic Hours were remove in the summer of 2013, and all parks offering evening Extra Magic Hours reduced those from 3 hours to 2 hours in January 2013.

As always, until confirmed, the removal of Extra Magic Hours should be treated as speculation, and we will continue to monitor the situation for any updates.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/extra-magic-hours/news/16jun2015-extra-magic-hours-not-included-on-provisional-operating-hours-for-2016.htm

Possibly linked to the rumored tiered tickets?

If EMH goes away as a benefit for on property or becomes an extra charge you won't see me making ressies or paying more....

EMH hasn't been much of a perk for some time IMO.  At least not PM EMH... non-resort guests are still allowed to stay in the park, shop and eat, and the checking of cards/MBs for attractions has been hit or miss.  AM is a different story as they can check at the turnstiles and as far as I know, don't let non-resort guests in.

It would be cheaper to give onsite guests an extra FP or two....

Agreed!

I wounder if FP and FP+ is going to be limited to guest only stay on property?

Seems unlikely since they've already made a big deal of rolling it out to the public, and fairly recently.

It would be cheaper to give onsite guests an extra FP or two....

I bet your on to something there

I agree.

The idea behind EMH's is to fill hotel rooms by providing a perk to on-site guests.  If they can provide a cheaper perk that will still put heads in the beds, they will jump at the chance.

Here's a way for them to start making some money on that $1 Billion investment.

TCD

I would greatly miss evening EMH. Nothing like MK at 2 am! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll miss that too.

I already miss the 3 hour EMH's, which allowed you to be in the MK until 3 am.  There are still some occasional 3 am EMH nights, but it's not the same since the park is open until 1 am anyway.

Oh, and I miss the days when they used to issue wristbands and kick everyone else out of the park.

TCD

I would greatly miss evening EMH. Nothing like MK at 2 am! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto!!  We love the late park hours and usually plan our days based on whichever park is open late.  I was already bummed out when they shaved them back from 3 hours to 2.

I suppose if EMH goes away they could still extend the regular park hours.  Hopefully they'll still have some of those late nights.

I agree - especially if it was a slightly cooler night - that really cleared people out fast and we could do a lot of the more popular rides - without the fast pass!!!

I'll miss that too.

I already miss the 3 hour EMH's, which allowed you to be in the MK until 3 am.  There are still some occasional 3 am EMH nights, but it's not the same since the park is open until 1 am anyway.

Oh, and I miss the days when they used to issue wristbands and kick everyone else out of the park.

TCD

Those wristbands used to be so great - all you had to do was hold up your hand and walk through - no fooling around with a scanner that doesn't always work.