We have done a complete 180 on our new camper purchase and will find ourselves in Ft Myers picking up a new 5th wheel on Saturday. We will need to crash for a night Saturday somewhere between Fl and Atlanta. 

So would it be worth it / wise to try and camp for 1 night at the fort? It is just a couple hours north(ish) of the RV store. 

It will be our first time ever towing, backing and camping in a 5th wheel. 

Thoughts?

Thanks

Adam

As much as I love the fort.....I would not do it for 1 night.

1.  Getting into the Fort....onto WDW property, through the MK gate, past the FW guard shack, the checking in, getting into the loop and then the site....can take at least an hour, maybe more if traffic is bad or the CM's are not on the top of their game. 

2.  $$$$.  FW can be twice as pricey as other campgrounds.

3.  After staying the night at the Fort, I would not want to leave the next day.  It saddens me to leave after 10 days.

4  Since it is your first time towing and backing and setting up, you may not want to try that in a crowded loop where people are not always as considerate as they should be with leaving room for you to maneuver into your site.

Sorry Adam, I agree with Gwen.. I am a Disney nut and it would make me sad to pass up the Fort..but I think you'd be better served camping somewhere less crowded and to ask Jason to keep his eyes peeled for halloween or November reservations :)

On a different note, send Tom a text....maybe now y'all can join us for Labor Day (if they have a spot??). Love to see you and the new home on wheels :)

I would stay at the Fort for one night in a heartbeat.

But not under these circumstances.  Best case scenario for you is a late afternoon check-in, and then packing up and heading home less than 24 hours later.

Sounds like too little time and too much stress with the new trailer and all.  Then you have a long drive home.

I wouldn't do it.

TCD

Sorry Adam, I agree with Gwen and others. I am a Disney nut and it would make me sad to pass up the Fort..but I think you'd be better served camping somewhere less crowded and to ask Jason to keep his eyes peeled for halloween or November reservations :)

On a different note, send Tom a text....maybe now y'all can join us for Labor Day (if they have a spot??). Love to see you and the new home on wheels :)

Ok so it seems like it may not be the best idea... I wasnt sure if it would be worth it for the boys to wander the fort for a night before a longer trip next year.. Always forget about the whole check in / traffic issues that multiplied by a 40' fifth wheel and a newbie 5er driver might make for a rough night. 

At least you would be doing those things for the first time in an environment you know. I know a couple of fiends will be there this weekend who could give you an assist too if you need help.

And if they couldn't assist they could at least setup their chairs and watch the show.  :D

And if they couldn't assist they could at least setup their chairs and watch the show.  :D

Seriously, you are not far from the truth, I think the 2nd outing with our TT i hopped out of the truck with it still in gear to check my alignment. The truck and TT along with wife and kids went rolling off across the road. Managed to catch up hop in and hit the brakes. Avoided a pine tree by maybe 8".... Surprised the wife still lets me drive. 

I think we might end up staying at crystal springs for the night, Pull through sites and the boys are obsessed with submarines so they should get a kick out of a glass bottom boat ride. 

Thanks!

check out lazydayz rv resort, its really nice, a short drive to crystal springs, and its  at I4 and I75

they have summer special rates at $29 a night, no pull thru though

secondly your at a dealership that can service the unit should an issue be found.

Seriously, you are not far from the truth, I think the 2nd outing with our TT i hopped out of the truck with it still in gear to check my alignment. The truck and TT along with wife and kids went rolling off across the road. Managed to catch up hop in and hit the brakes. Avoided a pine tree by maybe 8".... Surprised the wife still lets me drive. 

Haha... I don't remember hearing that story!  :lol:

Wish we Could extend the trip a few days but we had originally planned to pick up the other unit Labor Day weekend and the sudden change of plans leaves for a tight work schedule. 

Scrambling to find some place to go now on Labor Day. We had it all figured out when we were planning on going to Michigan but now that we will be picking up a different trailer a week early we are stuck with no reservations!... 

So would it be worth it / wise to try and camp for 1 night at the fort?

Thanks

Adam

No.

I personally think one night at the fort is better than no night at the fort. We purposely downsized our trailer earlier this year so we could do more 1 or 2 night trips vs a hotel room. We did it at the fort 2 months ago. Didn't even unhook the trailer, brought no food, did a 12:00 check in , swam in th afternoon , went to Epcot for dinner, watched the fireworks at MK then hit HS the next day and headed home. Set up was plugging the RV in and hooking up water and sewer. We didn't even put the awning out

Same size fifth wheel here.

I did a 1-night stay at the fort last year. It was actually my first time ever at the fort. We ended up ahead of schedule and in the area a day early. Y'all made it sound cool. And we're Disney nuts, so we did it. Didn't get a whole lot out of it, as we got there in the afternoon and headed out in the morning. I think we walked around a little and maybe resort hopped, but I'm having a hard time remembering.

It was an expensive night at $120/night. Calling in, they just gave me a "preferred" site and I didn't know what I was in for. Fortunately, we lucked into a fairly easy spot parking, but it was tricky with a poorly placed recycling container. Wife and I work well as a team, though.