Up here, the best BBQ place we have nearby (and there aren't many) puts out 6 different sauces - from vinegar-based to sweet to spicy. AND they serve Brunswick stew.  They're like the UN of barbecue - pick your region accordingly.  ;)

0ab202f8ad55ab51498a10d668c61e4c.jpg

Personally I'm a vinegar & pepper fan too.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ingredients 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise 1/4 cup water 1/4 cup white wine vinegar 1 tabl

Steve got one from a friend. I will get it from him and PM it to you. Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

We went to Disney springs the other night and I will say, I was very impressed what Disney pulled off. I guess with  adding the parking garages, it opened up so much more space to build. They thought

12 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Up here, the best BBQ place we have nearby (and there aren't many) puts out 6 different sauces - from vinegar-based to sweet to spicy. AND they serve Brunswick stew.  They're like the UN of barbecue - pick your region accordingly.  ;)

Have you ever had the white BBQ sauce?

Seems like its a Alabama thing.

At many barbecue joints across the South, white barbecue sauce is the sauce of choice. It's generally a mayonnaise-based sauce, made tangy with the addition of vinegar, horseradish, and mustard. Fans of white sauce say that once you've doused your barbecued chicken in this sauce, you'll never go back to red.

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

At many barbecue joints across the South, white barbecue sauce is the sauce of choice. It's generally a mayonnaise-based sauce, made tangy with the addition of vinegar, horseradish, and mustard. Fans of white sauce say that once you've doused your barbecued chicken in this sauce, you'll never go back to red.

I've heard of it and it sounds like something I'd love, but I've never run into it anywhere.  Maybe I'll have to find a recipe and whip some up.

Another review, this time from Disney Food Blog...

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2016/07/13/first-look-chef-art-smiths-homecoming-florida-kitchen-in-disney-springs/

Excerpts...

Our starters included the Jasper Board (an assortment of pimento cheese, smoked sausage, shaved ham, bread and butter pickles, and candied pecans).

Jasper Board

Jasper Board

And how about a batch of those Church Lady Deviled Eggs?

Church Lady Deviled Eggs

Church Lady Deviled Eggs

The Fried Chicken is buttermilk-brined for 24 hours.

Fried Chicken & Doughnuts

Fried Chicken & Doughnuts

Iron Skillet Sweet Potatoes

Iron Skillet Sweet Potatoes

First, we tried the Hummingbird Cake. Chef Smith first made this pineapple-banana cake with cream cheese frosting for Maya Angelou’s 75th birthday. Then he made it again for Lady Gaga’s 25th.

Hummingbird Cake

Hummingbird Cake

Chef Art’s signature Shine Cake is for adults only… this Butter Cake is soaked with – are you ready for this?Moonshine Syrup!

Shine Cake

Shine Cake

Before we wrap up our sneak peek here, I’ve got a little tale to tell… on Opening Day, Chef Art Smith was kindly stopping at tables to say hello and chat. I mentioned how much I enjoyed the homemade Hot Sauce that sits on the tables, and asked if it might be for sale (because if it was, I would TOTALLY buy it. This stuff ROCKS).

Bottle of Homemade Hot Sauce

Bottle of Homemade Hot Sauce

I couldn’t believe what happened next. That bottle you see above? The Chef himself brought it to me to keep! Talk about being made to feel right at home… :)

24 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I've heard of it and it sounds like something I'd love, but I've never run into it anywhere.  Maybe I'll have to find a recipe and whip some up.

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon coarsely ground pepper
1 tablespoon Creole mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons prepared horseradish

Preparation

Whisk together all ingredients until blended. Store in the refrigerator up to 1 week

Another one

Recipe

Makes. 1.5 cups of sauce, enough for 2 large chickens or 3 Cornish game hens, which serves 4 to 6 people

Takes. 10 minutes for the sauce, about 45 minutes to cook the meat

Ingredients

3/4 cup mayonnaise

1/3 cup apple cider vinegar

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/4 cup apple juice

1 tablespoon powdered garlic

1 tablespoon prepared horseradish from a jar (either in vinegar or creamy)

1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper

1 teaspoon mustard powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon finely ground cayenne pepper

Method

1) Whisk together all the ingredients in a large bowl and refrigerate in a jar for at least 2 hours, if possible, to allow the flavors to meld.

2) Lilly butterflies his chickens, which makes sense in a high production environment, but I prefer to quarter them so I can make sure no part is overcooked since breasts and thighs cook at a different rate. I recommend you cut the bird into quarters: Two drumstick and thigh combos, two breasts, and remove the wings from the breasts. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper on both sides

3) Crank up your smoker or prepare the grill for 2-zone indirect cooking. Shoot for 325¡F in the indirect side. Place the chicken skin side up on the indirect side of the grill. Put a handful of wood chips, chunks, or pellets on the heat source. Use a foil packet with wood on a gas grill and on a charcoal grill put the wood right on the coals (no need to soak the wood). Just a handful of wood. Don't overdo it. Nothing will ruin chicken faster than too much smoke.

4) Check the temp of each piece independently because they will cook at different rates. Place your probe in the thickest part of each chunk but don't touch the bones. The wings will finish much faster than the other parts so put them on late and be prepared to remove them early. When all parts hit about 155¡F, flip the bird and put the skin face down on the hot side. When they reach 165¡F, paint them generously on all sides with the sauce (at Big Bob's they dunk the birds in a vat of sauce). Serve.

Happy hour in Alabama

A redneck is driving a back road in Alabama when he sees a pickup parked alongside the road with a grill next to it. A sign says "Chicken Breasts and Beer."

"Lord Almighty!" He exclaims. "My three favorite things!"

We love white sauce. There was a bbq place nearby that had been around forever that had the best white sauce in our opinion. We used to buy it by the gallon. Sadly the place closed and a chain style bbq bbq restaurant opened. We haven't tried it out yet.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

That's a pretty good map of the various regions. I don't know about the whole state but Brunswick Stew is a common item on menus around here. There is also a difference in the slaw where the eastern area uses a mayonnaise base and the western area uses the same BBQ sauce to dress it. I actually like the western style of red slaw better.

4 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

And how about a batch of those Church Lady Deviled Eggs?

Church Lady Deviled Eggs

Church Lady Deviled Eggs

Its nice to see even the pros have trouble peeling eggs sometimes (left front egg). I might try this style next time I make deviled eggs just to jazz things up a bit.

We went to Disney springs the other night and I will say, I was very impressed what Disney pulled off. I guess with  adding the parking garages, it opened up so much more space to build. They thought of a lot of stuff when they added the town center area. Its got a lot of cover when it rains and a lot more room to spread out hundreds or thousands of people.  The new bus depot was very much needed. I couldn't believe they actually made it that big and every resort has its own stop just like the Magic Kingdom.  The parking garage will even tell you on entry how many spaces are left on each floor. They must all have a sensor that the car rides over to say if the spot is full or not. Talk about technology.  The only negativity I can say about the whole new Disney Springs area, is the shops that are there. Again, that's just my opinion, but I do not think I would buy anything in any of those shops. I know they are catering to more of the ultra rich and the top top name brands, but that's just not for me.  I told my wife with all the outlet malls, I guess they could not put a fossil store or a Nike store in there. I guess I understand that. Once again, they did an awesome job with this area. I was very skeptical when they were going to remove the downtown Disney name and put a bunch of new crap, but they did it right. From the ultra blue water in the springs, to the intricate stonework throughout. Great job Disney

P.S.

Don't waste your five dollars on a sprinkles cupcake or for god sake $59 for a dozen of them. You can make them better at home or buy them from hostess just as good 

1 hour ago, Starbuc71 said:

We went to Disney springs the other night and I will say, I was very impressed what Disney pulled off. I guess with  adding the parking garages, it opened up so much more space to build. They thought of a lot of stuff when they added the town center area. Its got a lot of cover when it rains and a lot more room to spread out hundreds or thousands of people.  The new bus depot was very much needed. I couldn't believe they actually made it that big and every resort has its own stop just like the Magic Kingdom.  The parking garage will even tell you on entry how many spaces are left on each floor. They must all have a sensor that the car rides over to say if the spot is full or not. Talk about technology.  The only negativity I can say about the whole new Disney Springs area, is the shops that are there. Again, that's just my opinion, but I do not think I would buy anything in any of those shops. I know they are catering to more of the ultra rich and the top top name brands, but that's just not for me.  I told my wife with all the outlet malls, I guess they could not put a fossil store or a Nike store in there. I guess I understand that. Once again, they did an awesome job with this area. I was very skeptical when they were going to remove the downtown Disney name and put a bunch of new crap, but they did it right. From the ultra blue water in the springs, to the intricate stonework throughout. Great job Disney

P.S.

Don't waste your five dollars on a sprinkles cupcake or for god sake $59 for a dozen of them. You can make them better at home or buy them from hostess just as good 

Agree 1000% about Sprinkles.  Cake was dry and grainy.  Icing was decent.

Yup, to many overpriced stores catering to the 1%ers. 

The new areas were nice, but I wouldn't rush back there.

We're looking forward to seeing the finished product. One of the parking decks was open on our last visit and we liked the space availability displays. It helps in deciding whether to look for a spot or just move up a level. We like browsing so the more expensive the store the better as it makes it easy to keep the credit card in the wallet. 

On 7/13/2016 at 1:44 PM, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

OMG white BBQ sauce and hush puppies at Greenbriar. Yummmmmm

OMG white BBQ sauce and hush puppies at Greenbriar. Yummmmmm

I think Mo just needs to come here for a visit to try some authentic North Alabama white BBQ sauce.

Mo, Southwest flies into Nashville and Birmingham just to let you know for planning purposes. [emoji6]

1 hour ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

I think Mo just needs to come here for a visit to try some authentic North Alabama white BBQ sauce.

Mo, Southwest flies into Nashville and Birmingham just to let you know for planning purposes. emoji6.png

If she flies into Nashville she could also make a side trip to the farm for Anna hugs.  

On 7/17/2016 at 8:40 PM, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

Mo, Southwest flies into Nashville and Birmingham just to let you know for planning purposes. emoji6.png

On 7/17/2016 at 9:48 PM, DaveInTN said:

If she flies into Nashville she could also make a side trip to the farm for Anna hugs.  

On 7/17/2016 at 10:08 PM, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

Sounds like a perfect plan to me. Even better if planned it around the Defeated Creek GG weekend.

Now that's a trip I clearly need to make!!!

Somebody want to loan me a little time off and some frequent flyer miles??  :P

• 5 weeks later...

Whelp, the TCD twins and I have visited another Disney Springs restaurant.

We hit up Chef Art Smith's Homecoming this past weekend.

Six thumbs up!

I parked in the Orange Garage, and had a hard time finding the place. There are still a lot of construction walls around this part of the project, and I walked all the way around the old Planet Hollywood not realizing a more direct path was open.

Oh well, I got a nice view of the side of the building housing this restaurant:

8%2013%2016%20075_zpsooybos9i.jpg

It sits right along the new fake spring, and has a good sized outdoor seating area that you can see toward the back of this photo:

8%2013%2016%20076_zpsqv7u0tun.jpg

It was too hot for me to want to sit on the porch, but it might be nice to sit out there when the weather gets a little cooler.

We visited on the last weekend before they go on the Disney ADR system, and we were seated right away.

Ever since I saw them, I knew I had to try the Church Lady Deviled Eggs.  Oh my, they are good!:

8%2013%2016%20077_zpsai7hlcgz.jpg

But, that's ten bucks worth of deviled eggs you see there, so I won't be having those again anytime soon.

BTW- that's a crispy piece of bacon plopped on top of each egg.  Brilliant.

I went with the fried chicken dinner, which is the specialty of the house.  I got it exactly as offered on the menu, with a side of mashed potatoes and gravy and a drizzle of hot sauce:

8%2013%2016%20078_zpsbpmmb9au.jpg

Twin #1 also went with the specialty of the house, but swapped mac and cheese for the taters and asked them to hold the drizzle:

8%2013%2016%20079_zpsj5nw0yub.jpg

Twin #2 went with the chicken and donuts, and got a side of greens:

8%2013%2016%20080_zpspjuqggvv.jpg

That was some darned good fried chicken!

But, it's $30ish a pop for the entrees.

With soft drinks and the deviled eggs, our bill was right at $100 before the tip- so this small meal set me back $120 for three.  With no booze or dessert.

That could buy a lot of Giddyap and Go's.

But, they do have nice coasters:

8%2013%2016%20081_zpsvc8wm5u7.jpg

Bottom line- this restaurant is great.  The food was outstanding.  But they are charging crazy Disney prices, which means I won't be a frequent guest there.

TCD

23 minutes ago, Helmsey......Todd said:

You know what? Your chicken plate looks almost worth the $30. Man that looks appetizing! 

I'm not saying it wasn't worth it.  It was REALLY good.  I hate to say it, but way better than Trail's End or anyplace else on Disney property.

But, $30 (actually it was $26) is a lot of money for that plate.

I will be back for more. Just not as often as I hit up Trail's End.

TCD

33 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

Nice job with the pood forn.  You couldn't possibly have taken those pictures yourself.  

I know why you think that, but I was the taker of all those photos, except Twin #2 took the photo of her plate.  You know taking photos of my food isn't usually my thing, but I make an exception for fried chicken.

TCD

You picked exactly what Rene would. If there's mashed potatoes and chicken they will be on her plate. Everything looks good and I still like the way they do the deviled eggs. Even at $10 the eggs seem to be decent price for an appetizer that would potentially serve 6 people. Plus it has bacon.