Disney Springs is officially here and now even has it's own snazzy new website for info, hours, news, etc...

https://www.disneysprings.com/

I figured now was a good time to start a new thread for Disney Springs news. If you want to look back at all the original construction info and the evolution of Downtown Disney to Disney Springs, the original thread is still up here...

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/10429-construction-at-downtown-disney-for-disney-springs-project/?hl=%2Bdowntown+%2Bdisney%2C+%2Bdisney+%2Bsprings

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ingredients 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise 1/4 cup water 1/4 cup white wine vinegar 1 tabl

Steve got one from a friend. I will get it from him and PM it to you. Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

We went to Disney springs the other night and I will say, I was very impressed what Disney pulled off. I guess with  adding the parking garages, it opened up so much more space to build. They thought

The couldn't even equip the Drum Major with a decent baton (mace) and stuck him with an umbrella. At least he will be able to keep dry if it rains.

From WDWMagic. Not great timing for the "grand opening" of Disney Springs...

Characters in Flight closed for the next couple of days for refurbishment 8 hours ago in "Characters in Flight"

Characters in Flight at Disney Springs will be closed from today through to October 2 for routine maintenance.

The balloon ride is expected to reopen to guests on October 3 2015.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/characters-in-flight/news/29sep2015-characters-in-flight-closed-for-the-next-couple-of-days-for-refurbishment.htm

Maybe they are going to replace or repaint? the balloon.  The red color has really faded.

We didn't even try to go to DTD. Everything is a ripped up mess.

Maybe they are going to replace or repaint? the balloon.  The red color has really faded.

Yeah, red probably wasn't the best choice for something that's out in the sun all day, every day.

They replaced the entire balloon not that long ago, but then again I'm not sure what the life span is for those.

From WDWMagic...

A new high-end chocolate shop will be coming to The Landing at Disney Springs later this year.

Owned and operated by Disney, The Ganachery will offer custom blended chocolates with flavors from around the world, handmade ganache, bonbons and more.

The Ganachery will be very different from the other candy stores at Disney Springs, with the focus here on creativity and high-end chocolate. If you have travelled to Japan, expect something similar to the chocolate boutiques found there.

Article Posted: Oct 06, 2015 / 6:27am EDT

http://www.wdwmagic.com/shopping/the-ganachery/news/06oct2015-the-ganachery-is-coming-to-disney-springs-later-this-year.htm

We were there a month ago. It was a disaster. We were staying off property and used uber to get in. It was a pain getting in, then a pain getting out of there, because there was no good place to get picked up. So after our uber driver couldn't find us we took a cab. The crowd was insane. With all the privacy walls you could barely walk, much less with a kid in a wheelchair.

Another celebrity chef-backed restaurant coming to Disney Springs...

With farm-to-fork cuisine, Homecoming: Florida Kitchen and Southern Shine, Chef Art Smith’s new restaurant concept, opens in Summer 2016 at Disney Springs at Walt Disney World Resort.

SMCTDS09896-613x793.jpg

You might remember Chef Smith from his years as Oprah’s chef, or for his appearances in “Iron Chef America,” “Top Chef” and “Top Chef Masters.” The James Beard Foundation award winner was born and reared in the town of Jasper, Fla., on the Florida-Georgia border, where his family still raises cattle, pecans and heirloom vegetables. And after 25 years of preparing award-winning meals for celebrities and heads of state and appearing on television, he is making Florida his home once again.

The Homecoming menu will feature Southern favorites like homemade pimento cheese, Church Lady deviled eggs, low country shrimp and grits, kale salad with Sweet Grass Dairy cheese and spiced pecans and a grilled Blackstrap pork chop with sawmill gravy. “Each dish has a little Florida twist and make guests feel like they’re on the back porch with me for every meal,” says Smith. Desserts will be a specialty, with cakes, pies and delectable sweets made daily and shipped from a bakery in Hamilton County, including the restaurant’s signature Mockingbird Cake.

ASCTDS89942-613x934.jpg

The “rustic-chic” restaurant has a glass-walled show kitchen and the Southern Shine bar, featuring whimsical cocktails, punches and coolers that celebrate an era where characters might have created some homegrown spirits on their homesteads just beyond the springs.

By the way, Chef Smith attended Florida State University and did a culinary internship with the Walt Disney World College Program. Welcome home, Chef!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/10/new-restaurant-for-celebrity-chef-art-smith-coming-to-disney-springs-in-summer-2016/

This one I am actually excited about.  I can't wait to go there!

• 8 months later...

More on the Art Smith restaurant from WDW Magic. Menu sounds yummmmmmy!!

First look at the Homecoming Florida Kitchen menu

3 hours ago

Homecoming - Florida Kitchen and Southern Shine concept art

The much anticipated new Disney Springs restaurant "Homecoming Florida Kitchen" by Chef Art Smith is nearing its opening, and today we have a first look at the full menu.

Highlights include the Jasper Board - Assortment of Pimento Cheeses, Smoked Sausage, Shaved Ham, Bread and Butter Pickles and candied Pecans; a Chopped Pork Barbecue Sandwich - Line of Parker House rolls heaped with HFK sweet and spicy barbecue chopped pork and topped with Southern slaw; Addie Mae's Chicken and Dumpling Soup; and Art's Fabulous Fried Chicken - Chef Art Smith's signature dish! - Buttermilk-brined for 24 hours then perfectly fried and served with creamy mashed potatoes, cheddar drop biscuits and love.

Starters range in price from $10 to $15, sandwiches from $15 to $18, salads from $16 to $22 and main plates from $22 to $41.

View full Homecoming Florida Kitchen menu.

The 6,000-square-foot, 200-seat restaurant features both indoor and outdoor seating, with views across the spring of the Town Center. An opening date for Homecoming Florida Kitchen has not yet been announced, but look for an early July debut.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/dining/chef-arts-florida-fish-camp/news/29jun2016-first-look-at-the-homecoming-florida-kitchen-menu.htm

• 2 weeks later...

WDWMagic has a review of the new Homecoming Florida restaurant. Any place that puts the hot sauce right on the table with the salt and pepper is definitely on my "must try" list.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/dining/chef-arts-florida-fish-camp/news/12jul2016-review---chef-arts-homecoming-at-disney-springs.htm

Some excerpts...

To start things off, we ordered the Jasper Board, which is a $15 assortment of Pimento Cheese, Smoked Sausage, Shaved Ham, Bread and Butter Pickles and Candied Pecans.

Homecoming restaurant - Jasper Board

The $9 Bunch of Puppies were next, and wow, you are looking at some seriously good hushpuppies here.

The $26 dish features a good sized serving of chicken, with mashed potatoes and a cheddar drop biscuit. The chicken is buttermilk-brined for 24 hours before being fried, and wow, can you taste the difference. The chicken is incredibly moist and tender, and wrapped in a wonderfully seasoned batter. We would have liked the batter to have been a little crispier, but that takes nothing away from how good the chicken is.

Next up was the Chopped Pork Barbecue Plate. 

Priced at $23, the dish includes a sweet and spicy barbecue sauce served with Momma's Mac and Cheese.

And as for Momma's Mac and Cheese that comes along with the pork, just take a look at the picture - it says it all. The work of art is without question a top-tier Mac and Cheese. Not soupy, not thick and plastic-like - just about perfect.

On the recommendation of our server, the Hummingbird Cake was our pick, and my goodness, it was good.

The photo perhaps does not do it justice, but this is a BIG piece of cake. Easily sharable between two people, the $10 slice of heaven is a pineapple-banana cake, with a cream cheese frosting and a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.

What is with WDW area restaurants putting that sticky sweet BBQ sauce on pulled/chopped pork? Everyone knows it should be dressed with a vinegar and pepper based sauce (I'll even allow a Western NC sauce which adds some ketchup to the basic recipe but is still a very thin sauce).

The Jasper Board and Hush Puppies look good though.