• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow, this picture makes me a bit misty eyed.     I have VERY similar pictures from our first trip with our girls 15 years ago.     Here is one of them.        That girl in pink is turning 20 soon.  A

Zebra Domes SMB.

My primary issue isn't so much the phone stuff, as it is how MDE has messed up the stand by lines and made it much more difficult than it used to be to just do the parks without a plan, at least if yo

When our older girls were younger we used to go to that Jellystone every year for a Halloween weekend.  Lots of good memories there.  

I always am interested in reading reports of folks with vans....since we are a van family ourselves.  Although we're seriously considering selling our Big Blue Mickey Van....it'll be a sad day when that leaves the family.  I hope you get your van issues worked out!

When we left off we were on our way to the 900 loop. I must confess, I have never been so thankful to be at a campsite as I was that night. 914 would be our resting place for the next two weeks. The site looked great and easy to get into, so I jumped out of the van to help direct my prince back onto the pad. No sooner had I excited the van than I picked up the tell tale odor of transmission fluid. I said nothing at first but as he continued to back in, fluid began to leak out fast and there was a ton of it. I ran to his door dreading the look on his face as I told him the news. The only light in the van at that point was coming from the dash but it couldn't hide the look of panic, sadness, and anxiety that spread across his face. Quick to keep him on focus I suggested that we continue to back her in as quickly as we could and set up camp. There was nothing we could do tonight and besides we were at Disney. Not wanting to make a tense moment worse I gathered up my ducklings and settled them in the camper with some snacks and toys. I then sent my oldest two out to assist their father in case he wanted help. They were under the strictest of orders not to get in his way but to assist in the outside set up, where needed. A short time later I came out to find all going smoothly and that my prince had regained composer and was processing much better. I am sure many of you men out there can relate to his roller coaster of emotions during that time.

With camp set up we decided to take a walk about and peruse the scene. It was Saturday night and the Fort was hopping. Golf carts flew everywhere, the pool was crowded, and the campfire sing-a-long was underway. We headed into the Meadows for a look see and decided what better way to start the trip than Mickey Bars all around. This was the end result. 

20150926_214122_zpsmv5kghos.jpg

Exhausted from a full day of driving we headed back to camper for some much deserved rest.

I woke early the next morning and headed out with Lucy for a brisk walk. Picture taken at home. I was a bad mommy and didn't take a single photo of this beauty.

Lucy_zpsjhbuthkq.jpg

Florida mornings are my favorite and this one did not disappoint. The sun was just starting to lighten the sky, the temperature was cool and the squirels were waking up for their morning antics. Today was Bethanie birthday so I kept my walk to just the loop and headed back. Upon my return I noticed a few Fort employees sitting on a golf cart by our site. I figured they were picking up trash and headed inside. After breakfast I heard a bit of noise outside. I stepped out to see this. 

20150927_091741_zpsyrexfuex.jpg

A bit embarrassed we told them what had happened. They were ever so kind and handed us a paper with a list of area mechanics and headed back to their clean up. With that out of the way we headed to the pool.

Bethanie loves two things, well actually three, water, horses and food. The Meadows pool, for our family, was the perfect set up. With the gated littles area and then the bigger pool with slide, everyone one was satisfied. 

20150927_095342_zpsjmhsoggx.jpg

20150927_095246_zps1hhreimq.jpg

20150927_095112_zpsuwb8ua7o.jpg

We spent the morning soaking up the sun and chlorine then headed back to the camper for lunch.

For months Bethanie has been looking forward to riding a horse. She cannot talk yet so she signs. Any time someone would mention a birthday she would excitedly point to her chest, meaning Bethanie, and make the sign for Mickey Mouse and horse, a white horse to be exact. So next on the agenda, the Tri-Circle D Ranch to see a man about a horse. 

There are no words to describe her reaction when she stepped up on that platform and watched as the pony was lead out of the barn. If a person can die from sheer joy she was on the verge. She was actually trembling she was so excited. I stood taking it all in, amazed at her life and the blessing she is to our family. They weren't sure she would ever walk, and certainly not unassisted, and just look at her, getting ready to ride a horse. God is so good.

20150927_151959_zpsrbink5gi.jpg

20150927_152029_zpslole1fas.jpg

In my opinion that was the best $8.00 I have ever spent. 

Next we headed over to Wilderness Lodge for some sight seeing and birthday shopping. 

Before this trip I had planned to take an abundance of pictures but did not take into consideration the baby carrier I would be permanently wear the entire trip. Every time I was set to take pictures, little man would wake or squirm and prevent me from taking said photos. Dude was cramping my style, good thing he is so cute.

22db2bb4-cab0-43e1-8216-3116cca44f68_zps

With birthday present selected, Simba, we headed back to the camper for some dinner and cake. 

20150927_164734_zps4fs51vk0.jpg

20150927_175319_zps2h8bgsze.jpg

20150927_175446_zpsufezoxe0.jpg

Yes that is a match used in place of a candle. Don't judge I was in a fix.

All in all it was a great relaxing day. Bethanie loved all the attention she got from wearing her birthday button and told (signed) everyone we met that she was 4 and rode a horse for her birthday. Little lady was on cloud nine. Coming up next, cheeseburgers in Africa.

Wow what a trip down.  Glad the transmission waited till the back in was complete.  Always something, isn't it?  Hope soon fixed.

Great Birthday for Bethanie, presents, horse back ride and A WHITE ONE AT THAT!!  Thought the match was a special thing for your family, you know light the match last and it gives a very bright light for the added year, but good 'making do' with the match.

Also very cool that Bethanie can make her wishes known by signing and koodos to the person(s) who taught her this skill.

Loving your TR.

I was away traveling when you started this trip report.  But, I'm caught up now.

What a wonderful 4th birthday Bethanie had!  Like I always say- there's magic at the Fort.  I'm glad that the birthday girl got her wish to ride that white pony!

TCD

Glad to have you along. I agree there is magic at the Fort.

Grateful that you got your trailer onto your site before the transmission went completely out.

Love the photo of Bethanie on the pony!

I was to

Wow what a trip down.  Glad the transmission waited till the back in was complete.  Always something, isn't it?  Hope soon fixed.

Great Birthday for Bethanie, presents, horse back ride and A WHITE ONE AT THAT!!  Thought the match was a special thing for your family, you know light the match last and it gives a very bright light for the added year, but good 'making do' with the match.

Also very cool that Bethanie can make her wishes known by signing and koodos to the person(s) who taught her this skill.

Loving your TR.

I was so happy when I saw the white pony. There were three other ponies set out for riding but only one white one. Great idea with the match. I think that may become a new family tradition. love it!

With the children asleep in bed dreaming about the days events, it was time for a major pow-wow about our current van situation. My husband had been stressing about pulling the van down to Disney since he fixed the transmission. He just wasn't sure it would hold up on such a long journey. Birdie weighs a lot and it was pushing her out of the barn that blew it the first time. In our excitement to get to the Fort we had just pushed her too hard. What were we going to do? I needed to get groceries and eventually our two weeks would be up. Storage, AAA, selling Birdie, all came to mind.

While my husband turned to Google, I tapped into a major life line, the Fort Fiends community. On the road I had asked for prayers. Many responded and many gave great advice. It was this advice that guided us to a solution. Thank you again Fiends, you all are amazing. What we figured out was that the transmission was fine and probably always had been, despite what the mechanic had said. Remember, my husband never saw damage when he rebuilt it. From what we understood, when you put a lot of strain on a transmission it heats the fluid. When this fluid gets too hot it can leak from even the smallest crevice. Pushing BEV that last day had caused too much strain on the transmission but why? When we bought Birdie, the rv dealer, as well as the Ford dealer assured us we were well within our tow limit. A little digging on the net told us other wise. We were actually 4,000lbs over capacity. OUCH! It looked like the best option was to store Birdie and come back and get her with a different van. Another trip to Florida and maybe the Fort, done.

Monday September 28: Cheeseburgers in paradise Africa

Having rested well the night before, we set out early for the Animal Kingdom Lodge. We had never visited this resort and were excited to experience it for the first time. First however, we had to make a stop at the Ticket and Transportation Center to pick up our Student Seminar tickets. I had already linked our tickets on MDE but was told we needed the actual tickets to enter the parks. Confused by it all I wanted to double check. First we went by boat to the Contemporary. On the way I snapped this picture. Recognize this tree? 

20151007_1058160_zpssbumelqa_edit_144551

Right it's the shoe tree. I was curious about the back story on this tree so I did a little research. Legend has it that the shoe tree is an obscure tradition started by a retiring CM. Apparently he or she threw their shoes up into the tree upon retiring. Today, if you look closely you will notice mainly white shoes hung about the legendary tree. These shoes are from retired CM skippers that have braved the waters of Bay Lake. Interesting? I thought so.

Stopping for a few quick pictures at the Contempary.

20150928_091809_zpsy3wsukm9.jpg

If you didn't notice, today was brown day. I have way to many Doug's in my crew and getting, SQUIRREL, lost is very easy. I find it much easier to spot a little Doug if we all have on matching colors.

From the Contemporary we hopped on the Monorail to the TTC. 

20150928_093023_zpswyz4cupy.jpg

Once there I found out we were all set and didn't need anything but our magic bands. Since we were here we decided to see if we could find our Disney Brick. I had forgotten our brick number at home so it was a shot in the dark. We gave it a good try but the heat won out and we walked over to the Poly. On our way we meet a sweet couple who saw Bethanie's Birthday pin. They struck up a conversation with us and found out our son Justin's Birthday was also coming up. To celebrate both, the couple gave each a Disney Trading Pin. Thus began the pin trading craze.

We cooled off at the Poly for a bit and then hopped a bus to the Animal Kingdom. From there we rode a bus to the Animal Kingdom Loge. It was on this leg of the journey that we encountered not the gremlin, but another foe, motion sickness. Note to self, give the children Dramamine before resort hopping. While no barf bags were filled on this trip, we were all greatly relieved to be off the bus and heading into the hotel. What a beautiful place, definitely ranking as one of my top three favorite resorts. We walked around on the main floor for a bit and then headed downstairs for a bite to eat at The Mara.

Taking our crew out to eat can be very overwhelming for the restaurant staff due to our sheer size. We try to make things as easy as possible when ordering and try and clean up as much as possible when leaving. Today everyone got cheeseburgers, fries, a cookie and drink. Mommy got a side order of zeebra domes. Not sure why I didn't take any pictures. Anyway the staff was amazing. The order took longer than expected so they showered us with bags of grapes. Once the order did come the toddler accidentally knocked my plate on the floor. Sweet guy was trying to give me a french fry. The CM's were quick to replace the dropped meal, no questions asked and hovered over us ready to help in any way they could. My children were amazed. They kept commenting that we had never received such great service at any other restaurant. I told them this was part of the Disney Magic. That we had just been sprinkled with a bit of Pixie dust.

With bellies full for now we headed out to take a look at the savannah. We met a very nice CM from South Africa while watching the giraffes. He was amazed by our family and we enjoyed a lengthy conversation about his time here in the states, Bethanies medical condition and Disney. I think we were supposed to be talking about the animals, oh well. He took this picture of us. 

20150928_124834_zpsjrr6rk7p.jpg

One thing I love about Disney is the interaction among guests and CM's alike. I love striking up conversations with people we meet along the way. My son said that once Bethanie gets her voice she may be worse than me when it comes to talking to complete strangers. He's an introvert, what does he know?

Exhausted we made the long trek back to the camper for some quiet time. My husband used Uber to get him to and from Wal-Mart for some much needed supplies and transmission fluid. Thanks Kelly for your write up about this service a while back it was really great. He had a man in a Cadillac pick him up and a lady in some other nice car bring him back. Both were very professional and even helped with groceries. The cost was much cheaper than a taxi. With that, I bring our day to a close. Up next ponchos and the MK.