We Survived Halloween 2015

We headed out Friday morning on our 2cd Halloween trip to the Fort. I got up early to load the ice chests, pack the truck and check tire pressures.

Being “good” grandparents, we liberated our 10 year old granddaughter from school at 10:00 so we could get to the Fort as soon as possible.

My granddaughter was surprised she had so much room in the back seat of the truck. She’s usually packed in pretty tight. She was sure we must’ve forgotten to pack a lot of the usual items. The only “big” thing we didn’t bring was my portable gas grill. Our menus were planned around pre made crock pot dishes, sandwiches, and pan cooked breakfast items.

We hit the road at 10:30, and pulled into check-in about 11:45. We have about a 75 mile drive, and I take my time towing, keep it around 60.

Check in started smoothly until the CM informed us that we were being assigned to the 2000 loop. We mentioned that we had asked for 1500, he said it was noted in our folio, but they are “requests” not guarantees (which we knew). I had faxed in our request the previous Friday hoping to get a 1500 spot before it filled up, but luck was against us. He had someone else check to see if anything was available in 1500 and she said we could move from 2000 to 1500 the next day (we politely declined). We also asked about upgrading to a full or another class, and they said everything was booked. Sometime during the check in process, the CM seemed to lose all of our information. He no longer had my email, phone #, or even my saved credit card info. Once we got that out of the way, we headed to our site. We got the PUP unhitched and dropped off a little after 12, then drove right over to the meadow to see about getting a modem. Two of our daughters that were arriving later with granddaughter #2 needed to work for a couple of hours. They were checking one in as I walked up. Took about 5 minutes and we were heading back to the site.

Set up went pretty quick. We had to drag the picnic table out of the way to fit the tent and screen room on the sand pad. Our PUP is small, so we swing it sideways on the paved part with the steps facing the sand pad. My wife and GD got started on the tent and screen room while I got the PUP situated.

We finished up, had lunch, and the girls headed to the Meadow pool. I got the modem and Wi-Fi working, did some more on the PUP, then got the rest of the site situated.

z9Vy1YMl.jpg

I headed over to the Bike Barn to drop off my GD’s pumpkin for the contest, met up with my wife and GD, then headed down to the dog park for the costume contest.

What a difference a day makes! Last year the contest was crowded on a Thursday, but it was just a shadow of how crowded it was this year being on a Friday! Golf carts were parked everywhere, even blocking the sidewalks totally making for a hard time staying out of traffic.

Found this oldie death machine parked along the side of the road. One good thing about it, you can’t overload it or take corners as fast as a 4 wheeler!

Dog contest was great as usual, but it seemed like they didn’t have as many prizes or categories. They had 1,2,3 and one other prize. The same family that won the last 2 years also won this year making it 3 in a row. They did a Star Wars theme.

Met up with my two daughters and #2 GD at the site. They we busy working away on their laptops.

I had started up the crockpot earlier to warm up some roasted chickens I had cooked at home. We had that along with some salads.

The girls got situated in the tent while the GD’s played in the field near the CS. I asked if they wanted to head down to vote on the pumpkins, but they were having too much fun with a bunch of other kids and didn’t want to leave.

We headed down to the campfire so we could see the “Special Guest” that would be arriving before the movie. My wife, GD and I had seen him last year, the others didn’t come to the Fort until Halloween Day last year so they hadn’t seen him.

Chip and Dale we in costumes. The Headless Horseman arrived, then shortly after we left to go to the MK!

We got to the settlement between HDDR shows, so when we got to the dock the lines for the boats were all the way back to the rental hut. The CM’s were starting to set up for the Beach party. They had a sign out of all the times and activities and had things planned from 9 to 12. While we were waiting in line, the GD’s started hula hooping right on the patio area next to the dock where they keep some tables and chairs. It was keeping them amused and not complaining about the long wait for the boat. A couple of minutes later a CM came along told them to put down the hoops and to get off the patio! There was no one else on the patio except a couple of CM’s wandering around. I don’t think my GD’s hooping was disrupting their plans to set up for the party since they were still setting up the DJ table in the sand.

One large boat arrived for the MK, but there were way too many people to fit on. At first the deck hand said the next one would be arriving in 20 to 30 minutes. That caused a lot of grumbling, especially since one boat to the Contemporary was leaving, and there were 2 waiting to dock. But, another MK boat arrived in about 5 minutes.

We got to the MK and headed towards the back side. My daughters and one GD had fast passes for Mine Train. Somehow our bands didn’t get linked so we had no FP. We ended up at the Speedway and it only took about 5 minutes to get on.

While waiting to meet up, we got to see Wishes. The sign at the Fort Beach Part said it was going to be Hallowishes, but it wasn’t.

We met up, and took a walk over to see the Design a MB set up. It was OK, but the designs were limited, and some of them were the same you could get on a pre made band. Also the s/w was a little wonky. There was no way to back up if you goofed on something. I had tapped on the band icon, but it took me to the cell phone case app, and I couldn’t get out of it. If they correct that and get more designs, it would be more interesting.

We went over to the People Mover. The up moving belt wasn’t working, and by the looks of the trash and dirt on it, it hadn’t been for a while.

Then it was picture time at the courtyard by the castle. When we got ready to leave, the Main St Electrical Parade was just starting, but they didn’t have the bypass exit open, so we had to fight the crowds down Main Street to the exit.

We got back to the Fort about 11:30, and they were already packing up the Beach Party. There were still 2 things scheduled before midnight, but everything was shut down. Did any Fiend go to it? Did no one show up?

In...sorry we missed mtg you; we were at the dog park with you for the contest, but only for about 15 minutes as the bees were really getting to our daughter.

The beach party, I know there were a ton of folks on the geach around 11p. Guess they broke up early... but for us (in the 100 loop), it did not feel that early as they were a bit noisy.

In...sorry we missed mtg you; we were at the dog park with you for the contest, but only for about 15 minutes as the bees were really getting to our daughter.

The beach party, I know there were a ton of folks on the geach around 11p. Guess they broke up early... but for us (in the 100 loop), it did not feel that early as they were a bit noisy.

They must've cleared out quick, there wasn't a soul there at 11:30 except for CM's picking up.

They must've cleared out quick, there wasn't a soul there at 11:30 except for CM's picking up.

Sorry... I was off on the time. Just remembered that we were there to watch the fireworks with tons of people, but that would have been 10p not 11p. They were loud for quite some time after that, but they could have stopped everything by 11p.

We went for a little and there were a lot of people. We stayed just long enough to see the water parade and then left. The roads were kinda scary that night. A lot of drunk golf cart driving going on. We got stuck between a group of 3 and they were driving beyond reckless, cutting each other off, etc. then they all went flying down a walking path on their carts.

We headed out Friday morning on our 2cd Halloween trip to the Fort. I got up early to load the ice chests, pack the truck and check tire pressures.

Being “good” grandparents, we liberated our 10 year old granddaughter from school at 10:00 so we could get to the Fort as soon as possible.

My granddaughter was surprised she had so much room in the back seat of the truck. She’s usually packed in pretty tight. She was sure we must’ve forgotten to pack a lot of the usual items. The only “big” thing we didn’t bring was my portable gas grill. Our menus were planned around pre made crock pot dishes, sandwiches, and pan cooked breakfast items.

We hit the road at 10:30, and pulled into check-in about 11:45. We have about a 75 mile drive, and I take my time towing, keep it around 60.

Check in started smoothly until the CM informed us that we were being assigned to the 2000 loop. We mentioned that we had asked for 1500, he said it was noted in our folio, but they are “requests” not guarantees (which we knew). I had faxed in our request the previous Friday hoping to get a 1500 spot before it filled up, but luck was against us. He had someone else check to see if anything was available in 1500 and she said we could move from 2000 to 1500 the next day (we politely declined). We also asked about upgrading to a full or another class, and they said everything was booked. Sometime during the check in process, the CM seemed to lose all of our information. He no longer had my email, phone #, or even my saved credit card info. Once we got that out of the way, we headed to our site. We got the PUP unhitched and dropped off a little after 12, then drove right over to the meadow to see about getting a modem. Two of our daughters that were arriving later with granddaughter #2 needed to work for a couple of hours. They were checking one in as I walked up. Took about 5 minutes and we were heading back to the site.

Set up went pretty quick. We had to drag the picnic table out of the way to fit the tent and screen room on the sand pad. Our PUP is small, so we swing it sideways on the paved part with the steps facing the sand pad. My wife and GD got started on the tent and screen room while I got the PUP situated.

We finished up, had lunch, and the girls headed to the Meadow pool. I got the modem and Wi-Fi working, did some more on the PUP, then got the rest of the site situated.

I headed over to the Bike Barn to drop off my GD’s pumpkin for the contest, met up with my wife and GD, then headed down to the dog park for the costume contest.

What a difference a day makes! Last year the contest was crowded on a Thursday, but it was just a shadow of how crowded it was this year being on a Friday! Golf carts were parked everywhere, even blocking the sidewalks totally making for a hard time staying out of traffic.

Found this oldie death machine parked along the side of the road. One good thing about it, you can’t overload it or take corners as fast as a 4 wheeler!

Dog contest was great as usual, but it seemed like they didn’t have as many prizes or categories. They had 1,2,3 and one other prize. The same family that won the last 2 years also won this year making it 3 in a row. They did a Star Wars theme.

Met up with my two daughters and #2 GD at the site. They we busy working away on their laptops.

I had started up the crockpot earlier to warm up some roasted chickens I had cooked at home. We had that along with some salads.

The girls got situated in the tent while the GD’s played in the field near the CS. I asked if they wanted to head down to vote on the pumpkins, but they were having too much fun with a bunch of other kids and didn’t want to leave.

We headed down to the campfire so we could see the “Special Guest” that would be arriving before the movie. My wife, GD and I had seen him last year, the others didn’t come to the Fort until Halloween Day last year so they hadn’t seen him.

Chip and Dale we in costumes. The Headless Horseman arrived, then shortly after we left to go to the MK!

We got to the settlement between HDDR shows, so when we got to the dock the lines for the boats were all the way back to the rental hut. The CM’s were starting to set up for the Beach party. They had a sign out of all the times and activities and had things planned from 9 to 12. While we were waiting in line, the GD’s started hula hooping right on the patio area next to the dock where they keep some tables and chairs. It was keeping them amused and not complaining about the long wait for the boat. A couple of minutes later a CM came along told them to put down the hoops and to get off the patio! There was no one else on the patio except a couple of CM’s wandering around. I don’t think my GD’s hooping was disrupting their plans to set up for the party since they were still setting up the DJ table in the sand.

One large boat arrived for the MK, but there were way too many people to fit on. At first the deck hand said the next one would be arriving in 20 to 30 minutes. That caused a lot of grumbling, especially since one boat to the Contemporary was leaving, and there were 2 waiting to dock. But, another MK boat arrived in about 5 minutes.

We got to the MK and headed towards the back side. My daughters and one GD had fast passes for Mine Train. Somehow our bands didn’t get linked so we had no FP. We ended up at the Speedway and it only took about 5 minutes to get on.

While waiting to meet up, we got to see Wishes. The sign at the Fort Beach Part said it was going to be Hallowishes, but it wasn’t.

We met up, and took a walk over to see the Design a MB set up. It was OK, but the designs were limited, and some of them were the same you could get on a pre made band. Also the s/w was a little wonky. There was no way to back up if you goofed on something. I had tapped on the band icon, but it took me to the cell phone case app, and I couldn’t get out of it. If they correct that and get more designs, it would be more interesting.

We went over to the People Mover. The up moving belt wasn’t working, and by the looks of the trash and dirt on it, it hadn’t been for a while.

Then it was picture time at the courtyard by the castle. When we got ready to leave, the Main St Electrical Parade was just starting, but they didn’t have the bypass exit open, so we had to fight the crowds down Main Street to the exit.

We got back to the Fort about 11:30, and they were already packing up the Beach Party. There were still 2 things scheduled before midnight, but everything was shut down. Did any Fiend go to it? Did no one show up?

Is this an eye exam, if so I failed.  We weren't able to to get a site until the 31st so we misses the pet costume contest. So thanks for the report.  Looking forward to the rest of the report. 

I was wondering about that.

I used Word, then copied and saved it on this page.

It looked great, then tried to add pictures and got odd messages.

When I got out of it, I saw it had saved 3 copies.  Admins deleted 2 of them.

I tried to add a picture using my iPad and that's when the fronts went wonky.

Was able to go back to the laptop and resize them.

I was able to add 1 picture, now back to can't add pictures messages or just locking up.

We went to the beach party. It wasn't that great. Most kids ended up just playing on the beach instead of partaking in the party. That was fine with us though. We saw the water parade and wishes and left after the hula hoop contest. It was a neat idea, but I think it needed a little tweaking.

So it looks like my laptop and Windows 10 doesn't like posting to the Fort site.

Here's the pictures to go with my first post

Site set up

LUteQSVl.jpg

5RDCOIel.jpg

Granddaughters pumpkin

9wNawc9l.jpg

Golf cart parking mess at the dog costume contest

9p3lEddl.jpg

yG713UTl.jpg

ZanV5gFl.jpg

3 wheeled death machine.  Has a Harley emblem on it, not sure if it was made by them or not.

n8dCurPl.jpg

vaMBb9bl.jpg

GH8XlN1l.jpg

These were the group winners.  it was the 3rd year in a row they had won.

tvifdoKl.jpg

Chip and Dale in costume

GTkLjvAl.jpg

Hq9Mngml.jpg

gKGEuMil.jpg

Glad you survived Halloween, After 3 weeks in intensive care and another week in rehab, my Doctor says I will live till I die. Will try to join group next year if I am able, have already made reservations for it. BigTom

Glad to see you are out in the world again Tom.

Great photos, Mark.

You granddaughter did a great job on the pumpkin.

Wow at the golf cart parking situation at the pet costume contest.

Are those Star Wars folks who won the same ones who had the Millennium Falcon golf cart? I think they are. They rock. They should be Fiends.

TCD

The Falcon was built just a few sites down from us and I was amazed how quickly it was assembled.