Yellow fly season is approaching at the Fort. Post your updates here.

So... after taking the flies and proximity to water into consideration, which full hook sites/loops would you recommend to better our chances of survival???

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So... after taking the flies and proximity to water into consideration, which full hook sites/loops would you recommend to better our chances of survival???

stay out of 1800 an 1900

your best bet is 1600...even 1700 is dicey, but much better than those first two

How many of these traps would you recommend for a site, for maximum coverage?

I have painted 5 and I just bought 5 more. I am planning on getting extras for unfortunate people who know no better. I would think 10 is a good number, but it really depends on how bad they are. Walmart has the beach balls for a buck a piece. The plastic paint in a can is 4.34 each.

I tend to be an overachiever, however, I swell up really bad from those things, so I really think, in my case, it is not an overreaction!

I have painted 5 and I just bought 5 more. I am planning on getting extras for unfortunate people who know no better. I would think 10 is a good number, but it really depends on how bad they are. Walmart has the beach balls for a buck a piece. The plastic paint in a can is 4.34 each.

I tend to be an overachiever, however, I swell up really bad from those things, so I really think, in my case, it is not an overreaction!

I don't think you are overreacting at all. Those dsamn things love me. :argh: I'm thinking 5 should do it, I hope :blink:

I can confirm that yellow flies love horizontally (slow) moving black objects. Last summer I was visiting a buddy's farm for dirtbike riding. When I would drive down the trail to the track yellow flies would swarm the black plastic mirrors on my white F250. It was crazy. There would be dozens on or around each mirror.

I can confirm that yellow flies love horizontally (slow) moving black objects. Last summer I was visiting a buddy's farm for dirtbike riding. When I would drive down the trail to the track yellow flies would swarm the black plastic mirrors on my white F250. It was crazy. There would be dozens on or around each mirror.

Good! Then I will be a yeller fly killin' mochine! :rofl2:

OK... I musta missed the "adhesive" part -I understand painting the beach balls black, it's the sticky part - how do you make them sticky??

Spray adhesive. You can get a can of Super 77 at Wallyworld for 5.97 and I am not sure how many balls that will cover, but when find out I will let y'all know.

Spray adhesive. You can get a can of Super 77 at Wallyworld for 5.97 and I am not sure how many balls that will cover, but when find out I will let y'all know.

Jen I think the super 77 will cure in about 15 min making it not so sticky anymore. Most of what I have read online people use a product called tanglefoot that stays tacky for a very long time. Just a thought

Jen I think the super 77 will cure in about 15 min making it not so sticky anymore. Most of what I have read online people use a product called tanglefoot that stays tacky for a very long time. Just a thought

I was using the industrial 77 from autozone. I was hoping that was the same, but like I said, I had not tried it yet. I was also going to use the headliner stuff as well. I am still working. I use the industrial 77 to embroider hats flat on my smaller commercial embroidery machine.

• 4 weeks later...

did they leave blisters on any of your bites? and if so, do you pop them to let them heal faster? I mean I have some wicked huge blisters on the bites.....not to gross anyone out....but it sucks...

I can post a pic. if need be.......... :blink:

Yes they did leave blister. I don't know that I popped any but I sure did scratch them. I have several scars on my legs asd a souvenir :argh:

I had an interesting Yellow Fly experience during my stay at the Fort from 6/10/11 to 6/12/11.

We camped this same exact weekend last year.

And, coincidentally, we were assigned to the exact same site.

Last year, we all got bit by yellow flies.

One of my DD's got welts from the bites.

The rest of us were just annoyed.

One evening last year, we abandoned the picnic table and went inside because we were all getting bit.

This year's yellow fly bit total was: ZERO.

We had none in our group.

Same weekend.

Same campsite.

No yellow flies.

And we ate dinner at our picnic table both nights.

No mosquitoes either.

I did see one yellow fly, but he flew off without biting me before I could swat him.

I realize this is different from Beccaewert's experience on the 1700 loop, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

If you ask me, last year was an anomaly.

TCD

TCD, what loop were you in? Last Memorial Day we were in the 300's and had to constantly swat at the yellow flies. This year in the 500's, we only saw a few all 5 days. Maybe it's a location thing?

TCD, what loop were you in? Last Memorial Day we were in the 300's and had to constantly swat at the yellow flies. This year in the 500's, we only saw a few all 5 days. Maybe it's a location thing?

hmmm....maybe they seriously like females better....I know that sounds odd....but it sounds like they bite more of us lady-folk....but not you guys?

Im 1700 loop.....don't have any other june trips to compare it too though?

I think there is definitely something about the 1700 loop.

Last 4th of July, I saw one yellow fly during our four day stay on the 1500 loop, while some folks on the 1700 loop were getting bit up.

And there may be something to the female thing, too.

But, the TCD twins are of the female persuasion, and they didn't get any bites this time around. Last year, yes. This year, no.

I think this year is better than last year.

Except, I am sorry to say, for Beccaewert.

TCD