RUMOR: Earful Tower Coming Down at Hollywood Studios

I haven't seen anything official on this yet, but haven't had a chance to do much digging either, so I'm plunking this in Rumors for now. From WDW News Today...

BREAKING: The Earful Tower at Disney’s Hollywood Studios to be Removed

The Earful Tower, one of the long-standing icons of Disney’s Hollywood Studios dating back to 1989, will be removed in the coming weeks.

hollywood-earful-tower.jpg

The area near the Earful Tower is going to become Toy Story Land, meaning the tower would be “visually intrusive” to the story of the land where guests are shrunken to the size of a toy.

Disney has not announced if they will move the Earful Tower, but they have officially stated that it will be removed soon.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/01/breaking-the-earful-tower-at-disneys-hollywood-studios-to-be-removed/

Given this became the park icon when the decision was made to remove the BAH, I'd have to think it's going to be relocated somewhere else in the park.

But if they get rid of it and select something else as a park icon, they can start cranking out all new merchandise!

You do make a point!!

Actually, start keeping an eye out on the park icon merchandise.  I noticed after the fact that well before they announced that the BAH was going, a park icon blanket I'd bought had the tower on it, not the hat. After all, merchandise changes have to be planned pretty far in advance.

So if something else starts showing up on merchandise, that might be a clue that a change is coming.

Not that the Orlando Sentinel is any more credible than a run of the mill blog these days, but this news just was posted on the Orlando Sentinel site:

The "Earffel Tower" landmark will come down at Disney's Hollywood Studios soon, and the theme park will close several attractions April 2.

Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show; Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure; a Monsters Inc. meet-and-greet, and the Studio Catering Co. restaurant will all close as part of a makeover. The theme park – which is also slated to get a new name - is adding two new lands, one themed on Star Wars and another on Toy Story.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/the-daily-disney/os-lights-motors-action-disney-closing-20160115-story.html

Note that the article is also stating that the Honey I Shrunk the Kids Playground and a bunch of other stuff near Lights, Motor, Action will be closing

TCD

Not that the Orlando Sentinel is any more credible than a run of the mill blog these days, but this news just was posted on the Orlando Sentinel site:

The "Earffel Tower" landmark will come down at Disney's Hollywood Studios soon, and the theme park will close several attractions April 2.

Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show; Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure; a Monsters Inc. meet-and-greet, and the Studio Catering Co. restaurant will all close as part of a makeover. The theme park – which is also slated to get a new name - is adding two new lands, one themed on Star Wars and another on Toy Story.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/the-daily-disney/os-lights-motors-action-disney-closing-20160115-story.html

Note that the article is also stating that the Honey I Shrunk the Kids Playground and a bunch of other stuff near Lights, Motor, Action will be closing

TCD

Comments earlier on the Disney Blog announcement were asking about the Muppet closing, and there were no replies.

I just looked again and found this...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matt on January 15th, 2016 at 9:29 am

Hi Thomas – do you know if the Muppets 3D show is included in the “nearby locations around Streets of America” that will be closing?

Thomas Smith on January 15th, 2016 at 12:25 pm

Hi Matt, the Muppet*Vision 3D show is not closing in April. And no other additional closures are planned. Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing about the other closures that the Sentinel mentioned

Another new name? I still call it MGM half the time.

Same here, I keep typing MGM then I have to go back and change to HS.

I'm glad they are keeping Muppet 3D, at least for now. I see that every trip and am hoping they update it for new audiences.

My guess is that the new name of the Park will be  "Land of Star Wars Toys with Multi Story Gift Shops"    see what I did there?     ;)

A lot of the 2016 stuff has Tower of terror on it...

Hmm... that might work as an icon.

Another new name? I still call it MGM half the time.

There was a LOT of hubbub before this year's D23 event about a name change for the park, with the strongest contender being Disney's Hollywood Adventure.  But D23 came and went, and with all the news that came out of it, a new name wasn't in the mix.

So quite possible it's still coming.

There was a LOT of hubbub before this year's D23 event about a name change for the park, with the strongest contender being Disney's Hollywood Adventure.  But D23 came and went, and with all the news that came out of it, a new name wasn't in the mix.

So quite possible it's still coming.

I strongly believe that a new name is coming.  The Studio part of the name will no longer make sense after the changes are done.

With all of the other announcements made at D23, they needed the hold a few things back to use to stir up interest in the future.  The new name is something they held back. (along with the details of what actually is going to be built in Star Wars Land).

TCD

I strongly believe that a new name is coming.  The Studio part of the name will no longer make sense after the changes are done.

With all of the other announcements made at D23, they needed the hold a few things back to use to stir up interest in the future.  The new name is something they held back. (along with the details of what actually is going to be built in Star Wars Land).

TCD

Plus from a PR standpoint, it makes sense to make a big ol' splash by waiting until the park is "New and Improved."

Has there been a timeframe associated with the new areas coming to HS?

Best Regards,

Norm

Nope.

That's another detail they've held back.

My guess?

A long, long, time.

But, I do maintain that they'll get the Star Wars stuff done faster than it has taken them to do stuff at WDW lately.  Mainly because they're building the same stuff at Disneyland, and those California guests will not put up with the crap they've pulled on the Florida guests in the past few years with the endless dragging out of projects.

TCD

Given this became the park icon when the decision was made to remove the BAH, I'd have to think it's going to be relocated somewhere else in the park.

But if they get rid of it and select something else as a park icon, they can start cranking out all new merchandise!

The Earful Tower WAS the original park icon, the BAH usurped that. It has just been put back in it's rightful place.

Well here's a crazy related rumor... or it is??  ;)

RUMOR: Is the Disney Springs Water Tower Actually the Earful Tower?

Disney has remained quiet about the removal of the Earful Tower at Disney’s Hollywood Studios after we broke the news yesterday, but maybe there’s a good reason for that…

The-Gateway-1200x988.jpg

Construction is currently wrapping up on the Town Center area of Disney Springs, but one structure from the concept art that we still haven’t see rise upon the site is the water tower bearing the Disney Springs name. Now, this could all be a big coincidence, but it does seem a bit odd that as Disney is about to build a new water tower, another one that has stood for 27 years is coming down. Based on the amount of recycling we’ve seen from Walt Disney Imagineering the last few years with larger props from extinct attractions, I can’t imagine a scenario where the Disney Springs water tower is built from the remains of the Earful Tower.

I guess we will just have to wait to find out…

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/01/rumor-is-the-disney-springs-water-tower-actually-the-earful-tower/

Can't be true since a Fort CM told me that the Earful Tower was already "ear-marked" to replace the River Country Water Tower slide at the Fort pool.

They are hoping that it will quiet down all the complaints they get about the "new" pool not being exciting enough....

Plus it will cut down on the wait times since the climb to the top of the new slide is expected to take 20-30 minutes.

They were afraid at first that it might be a bit too big for that spot, but by using Forced Perspective  it will appear to be much smaller when you look directly at it.     ;)

They have to rename the park, there are no studios left when they are done...

I am thinking Disney's Florida Adventure, in line with the California park that has the pixar land( toy story and cars themed attractions) 

But, the first thing you see when you enter the park is a giant replica of a Hollywood icon (the Chinese Theater), and a big chuck of what will remain is based on classic Hollywood, California architecture. 

Disney's California Adventure is full of tributes to the state of California.  There isn't anything like that (focused on Florida) currently in or planned for DHS.

TCD

But, the first thing you see when you enter the park is a giant replica of a Hollywood icon (the Chinese Theater), and a big chuck of what will remain is based on classic Hollywood, California architecture. 

Disney's California Adventure is full of tributes to the state of California.  There isn't anything like that (focused on Florida) currently in or planned for DHS.

TCD

And the bulk of the park's attractions will still be movie based - even more so after the expansion.  So while "Studios" doesn't fit anymore, "Hollywood" still does.

I still think it will be Disney's Hollywood adventure

That's where my money is as well.

But in the "is the water tower going away as the park icon" discussion... check out the new "icon-themed" gift cards that the Disney Parks Blog just announced this morning...

SMGC78741-613x613.jpg

Full article is here...

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/01/ring-in-the-new-year-with-new-disney-park-themed-disney-gift-cards/

That's where my money is as well.

But in the "is the water tower going away as the park icon" discussion... check out the new "icon-themed" gift cards that the Disney Parks Blog just announced this morning...

SMGC78741-613x613.jpg

Full article is here...

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/01/ring-in-the-new-year-with-new-disney-park-themed-disney-gift-cards/

Good catch!

And with regard to "Hollywood" staying in the park name, note that they included the wording "Hollywood Tower" in the depiction of Tower of Terror, instead of using a stylized version of just the building.

TCD

Good catch!

And with regard to "Hollywood" staying in the park name, note that they included the wording "Hollywood Tower" in the depiction of Tower of Terror, instead of using a stylized version of just the building.

TCD

Excellent point!  I do think "Hollywood" is here to stay.