From the Disney Food Blog...

News: Disney Dining Plan Price Increase

Are you in the midst of planning your next Walt Disney World vacation? Then you’ll want to know that Disney has increased the price of the Disney Dining Plans for the Quick Service, Standard, and Deluxe Dining Plans as of March 9, 2016.

Disney Dining Plan Prices as of March 9, 2016

Quick-Service Dining Plan
$44.13 per night ages 10 and up
$19.04 per night ages 3 to 9
(Increase from earlier 2016 pricing of $42.84 and $17.47)

Standard Dining Plan
$63.70 per night ages 10 and up
$22.85 per night ages 3 to 9
(Increase from earlier 2016 pricing of $61.84 and $20.96)

Deluxe Dining Plan
$115.08 per night ages 10 and up
$35.49 per night ages 3 to 9
(Increase from earlier 2016 pricing of $111.57 and $32.56)

This pricing was obtained through booking online reservations on DisneyWorld.com.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2016/03/10/news-disney-dining-plan-price-increase-2/

1 hour ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

I still can't understand why anyone can justify spending money on any dining plan.  At least not anyone staying at the Fort.

Driving down from CT with only a hyundai Elantra means cooking supplies are limited. The other reason is I do all the cooking at home and I really enjoy trying new foods and eating things I cant get at home. For us that means eating most of our meals at Disney whether at the Fort or otherwise. And when on vacation I do like desserts, I dont get them when at home very often at all. I also like to eat steak on vacation which I dont have that often at home. I have done the math extensively and we end up ahead using the dining plan the way we eat everytime. 

What I dont understand is why just because people dont like it for themselves they always turn there nose up and think the people who do utilize and enjoy the plan are crazy or not smart Disney people. People are free to do what they like and I dont judge anyone or push the dining plan as a travel agent. I push understanding of the dining plan and how each family eats when on vacation. If it make sense I encourage it. I have definitely discouraged it on many occasions. 

45 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

What I dont understand is why just because people dont like it for themselves they always turn there nose up and think the people who do utilize and enjoy the plan are crazy or not smart Disney people. People are free to do what they like and I dont judge anyone or push the dining plan as a travel agent. I push understanding of the dining plan and how each family eats when on vacation. If it make sense I encourage it. I have definitely discouraged it on many occasions. 

Jason, I'm not turning up my nose.  I just really don't understand.

6 minutes ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

Jason, I'm not turning up my nose.  I just really don't understand.

I gave at least one explanation of why. That wasnt directed at anyone specifically. Many people on here make the same comments about the dining plan. I only quoted yours so you would see the reason it works for us. 

In most circumstances it doesn't work for us, but we have used the "Free Dining" for shorter resort trips, but everything has to align. It needs to line up to when we need to purchase APs anyway, and we can get away for just a few days. We'll stay at a Value, pay the small upgrade to regular dining plan, purchase the tickets required, then upgrade to APs during the trip. We also usually have another couple that lives locally "share" the room with us and that cuts the cost to fit for us. For those particular trips, we plan and adjust our trip to match the Dining Plan and it works, however, for our extended Fort stay, it doesn't work.

We've looked into the dining plans and while they don't work for us because of the way we dine when visiting WDW I can see where they could work out well for a family. Especially those with somewhat older kids or teenagers and you do a good job of planning the restaurant you visit. 

Like Keith said it wouldn't work for us but I can definitely see how it would work and make sense for families especially staying in a hotel. Even those that are staying at the Fort but plan to spend most of their time in the parks or who just don't want to cook.

Personally I'm spoiled by being able to go to Disney World and stay at the Fort more than some and often forget that for a lot of people especially big families their Disney vacation may be their Big and only vacation that year or maybe for a couple years and sometimes their only Disney vacation ever. Getting the most out of it and spending the extra often times is worth it and makes more sense for them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I don't understand the break even either, we split most of our meals (besides the trails end!). We grill almost every day when at the fort, and usually I do breakfast at the camper too.  

When we stayed off property and at POP! We probably tied for out of pocket spending that we could have bought the DDP for. The big difference is the fact you must pay full  price for hotels when using the DDP deals .

16 hours ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

I still can't understand why anyone can justify spending money on any dining plan.  At least not anyone staying at the Fort.

When we go to Disney we go every 3-4 years and we want to spend our time in the parks. We don't eat at the camper, we just use it as a place to sleep basically. We have snacks etc but we eat all our meals out. This past year we sort of lost out because one of our girls was sick for a day and she didn't eat, but other than that...

I have thought about going out of pocket for meals our next trip but I'll do that math when the time comes.

Best Regards,

Norm

3 hours ago, parrothead7368 aka Norm said:

I have thought about going out of pocket for meals our next trip but I'll do that math when the time comes.

That's the best way to go if you're looking to see if it'll actually save you any money - crunch the numbers. We did it a few years ago, thinking that maybe using snack credits for F&W would make a difference.  Because of how and how much we typically eat/tour, plus wanting the flexibility to not have to make ADRs way ahead, it didn't add up for us. 

And that really had nothing to do with us staying at the Fort as we typically eat out during out pretty much every day during our stay  -- see "it's my vacation, dagnabit!" ;)

It had more to do with the fact that we rarely eat dessert, but almost always split an appetizer. Throw in where/when we like to eat, and having a Tables in Wonderland card, and DDP didn't cut it - for us.

That said, because we're at the Fort we still have snacks, beverages and a few things with us... and a car.  If I was staying at another resort without a car, I'd seriously consider it.

But as Jason said, that's just one part of why people use it. For some folks it's convenience or just budgeting - knowing exactly what their trip will cost ahead of time without having to keep track every day.

I do think some people don't do their homework and assume it's a savings just because of how it's packaged and promoted, without really checking to see if they'd be better off without it based on how they'd normally eat.

1 hour ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

It had more to do with the fact that we rarely eat dessert, but almost always split an appetizer. Throw in where/when we like to eat, and having a Tables in Wonderland card, and DDP didn't cut it - for us.

That describes us pretty well. Neither of us are really into sweets so skip desert. On the rare occasions we do have a dessert, like the bread pudding at Raglan Road, we share one. We frequently make lunch or dinner a series of small plates so will order multiple appetizers and/or a meal style salad and call it a meal. That is one of the reasons we really liked Jock Lindsey's Hanger Bar since it is nothing but small plates. 

1 minute ago, keith_h said:

That describes us pretty well. Neither of us are really into sweets so skip desert. On the rare occasions we do have a dessert, like the bread pudding at Raglan Road, we share one. We frequently make lunch or dinner a series of small plates so will order multiple appetizers and/or a meal style salad and call it a meal. That is one of the reasons we really liked Jock Lindsey's Hanger Bar since it is nothing but small plates. 

Ditto. 

That's also why a lot of our meals consist of sharing a few apps and a salad in a lounge/bar.  :)

Now that we have our camper, it would not (financially) work for us however. .. in October of 2012 we went, tent camped and it was HOT.   At the time, our kiddos were 5.5 and 11 months.  All of my wonderful plans to make meals, with the food we had brought, went out the window as this mama was hot and tired so...we ate out.   A LOT.  When we got home and I totaled up our receipts. ...gasp!!   That trip, the dining plan would have benefited us :)