We may be headed to FW in a new camper either Halloween or right after Christmas?  Confused though as to the differences "Full hookup", "Preferred" and "Premium".  Wouldn't all 3 of these include full hookups - water, sewer, cable, etc?? They all state views of the woods so which is better to try and get?  Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Yes, all three levels have W/E/S/cable. The preferred are close to the marina/settlement. The Premium are larger pads with more concrete. The regular full hookups are a little bit isolated from the rest of the campground, but some sites are close to the pool. The preferred and regular FH have sand areas in the back.  The Premiums have nicer grills and picnic tables  to me the preferred are smaller than regular FH, their only advantage is location.

This page has a lot of pointers to loop information and videos. Look for the Loop Information heading towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.fortfiends.net/index.html/accomodations/loop-information/

Campsite info

http://www.fortfiends.net/index.html/accomodations/campsites/

There is also a phone app but I can never find it since the site has been upgraded. Some else will post it I'm sure.

Ugh... those links are still broken from the software update.  Here are some direct links that might help...

Videos of all camping loops

Mobile app info page

Site/loop overview page

Google Earth interactive map info

http://www.fortfiends.net/index.html/accomodations/loop-information/fort-wilderness-site-maps-in-googleearth-r312/

36 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Ugh... those links are still broken from the software update.  Here are some direct links that might help...

I think they've been fixed. I was able to get to everything from those links before I posted them. You do have to scroll down past all of the stuff at the beginning to get to the good stuff though. 

Welcome!

Your question has been pretty well answered, it comes down to preference, budget, and availability. If you are set one either Halloween or after Christmas it will probably come down to availability. I would recommend starting to try booking a site ASAP, or getting a travel agent on it. Jason, who posts a lot on here and is also a sponsor is a great travel agent with a lot of experience with the Fort (you can find his information under the sponsors tab, I'm on my phone and not sure how to attach a link). Those times book up quick and usually a year in advance so if you can get a reservation in any level I would book it and if it's not the level you ultimately want keep trying, at least you'll have a reservation though. After all any site at the Fort is better than no site at the Fort.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

In my opinion, the full hook-up sites seem to have less privacy as the bushes seem to be thinner between spots.  I agree with Carol, that the most of the full hook-ups do seem larger than the preferred but the preferred is closer to the marina (if you have a bike or golf cart, that won't matter as much). 

18 hours ago, keith_h said:

I think they've been fixed. I was able to get to everything from those links before I posted them. You do have to scroll down past all of the stuff at the beginning to get to the good stuff though. 

Your links were fine, it's the ones between the Info pages that are still broken - like that main Site Classifications page that links to all the other stuff.

I think Super Geek was putting in a ticket to get them to flip the format of those pages so that all those page/article listings comes *below* the actual page content.

We made our first trip to the fort a couple weeks ago and stayed in a full hookup at the 1700 loop.  I don't think we we'll change for our next trip.  The site was plenty big enough for our motorhome, it was a short walk to the outpost for busses, and it seemed a little more quiet then the preferred or premium loops we walked through.  We walked from the settlement to our loop a few times while we were there and it is not a bad walk, nothing compared to walking in the parks all day.

14 hours ago, Campingdad said:

Difference in size between proffered and premium?

Premiums are generally wider at least if not longer, although there are a few preferred sites that are quite long.  Premiums are paved end to end vs Preferred which have the sand/coquina pad at the back.

The Fort Fiends site app gives sizes of all sites if you want to do a specific comparison.