We have a local campground that we love however, it's not full hook-ups (water/elec only).  We use the dump station on the way out and typically only camp there 2 nights a trip so..we're usually okay however, I have a question.  

As I walk around the campground, it's not uncommon for me to see campers outside doing dishes (to save room in their grey tank I imagine) however....inevitably, those campers will then just dump the dish water out onto the grass or in a ditch or into some bushes.  So, my question is....  what's the difference?  What's the difference between this and just dumping your grey water into the closest drainage ditch?  Our family uses organic soaps so I'm often frustrated that I can't dump the shower tank (which is the one that is a problem) because I can't imagine that it would any harm but... we don't, because I know it's a no-no.

So... my question.  What's the difference?  Dumping your grey tank into a ditch vs dumping dish water??

there is no difference, and the campers you see dumping dishwater in a ditch are very inconsiderate and are ignoring the rules.

The only way to safely dump dishwater and/or grey water is to dig a hole, put a screen over it and dump in the hole. Also wipe your dishes thoroughly with a paper towel and discard the paper towel in the trash before washing.

That is how scouts had to do it when they were camping without facilities. That is how campers at local campgrounds and state parks should do it.

It actually depends on where you are. Some localities have no problem allowing grey water directly on the ground. We've been RVing since 1972 with a club. Many rallies have been in areas where the direct dumping of grey water on the grass has been allowed and other areas where it is a no, no. 

Where we camp locally it is not allowed and most locations do not have full hookup (just electric). We have found a way to bring water in to fill the camper and we dump the grey into an 18 gallon (big blue) portable waste tank and haul it to the dump station in the campground. We find ourselves using more water because we can bring it in from either another part of the campground or an outside source (mostly campground fill stations).

It doesn't take up to much time using big blue and we only dump the grey into it when we hit the 2/3 mark. Rarely does it take 2 dumps to empty it.

For bringing in water, we found a 45 gallon vinyl water bladder at camping world a few years ago. Folds down to roughly the size of a large school text book. We purchased a harbor freight utilit pump to speed up the process of transferring water to the camper from the bladder.

Between the 2 we find our trips to be more enjoyable and not have to figure out how to conserver water to the extreme.

Ryan

21 minutes ago, keith_h said:

There is also the issue of the quantity of water being dumped. Dish water would only be a gallon or two and quickly percolate into the ground. This is different than 30 or 40 gallons coming out of a holding tank.

I agree with this. Regardless of the type of soap being used there is a monumental difference between a small wash tub full of water and a a whole holding tank when talking about drainage,  mud creation, etc..

Also would depend on the soil, here where it is loose and sandy water soaks in fast and does not stand and make mud as bad as if the soil is packed and has a lot of clay so water is not absorbed as fast. My barn has a hand washing sink that dumps on ground and there is never any mud under it to notice.

17 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

We have a local campground that we love however, it's not full hook-ups (water/elec only).  We use the dump station on the way out and typically only camp there 2 nights a trip so..we're usually okay however, I have a question.  

As I walk around the campground, it's not uncommon for me to see campers outside doing dishes (to save room in their grey tank I imagine) however....inevitably, those campers will then just dump the dish water out onto the grass or in a ditch or into some bushes.  So, my question is....  what's the difference?  What's the difference between this and just dumping your grey water into the closest drainage ditch?  Our family uses organic soaps so I'm often frustrated that I can't dump the shower tank (which is the one that is a problem) because I can't imagine that it would any harm but... we don't, because I know it's a no-no.

So... my question.  What's the difference?  Dumping your grey tank into a ditch vs dumping dish water??

Actually, there is a big difference. Dumping grey water into bushes or into soils allows the soaps and other organics to peculate and absorbed through the soil slowly. This allows plants and other microscopic organisms to feed upon or directly fertilized by the grey water compounds. There are many companies now offering residential grey water reuse systems, which are great for landscape irrigation.

On the other hand, dumping your grey tank into a "ditch", which is likely a storm water drain or dry ephemeral stream, is illegal and for good reasons.  These dry ditches serve as direct drainage arteries that are directly connected to running streams and rivers during wet seasons. So that grey water may or may not have an opportunity to be naturally processed by nature before the next storm flood. Nature will still take care of the "storm water pollution" after it hits larger water body but at a much greater costs. A good example is Florida's state of emergency declared over algae blooms affecting the "Treasure Coast." It's all been attributed to storm water pollution from a myriad of insignificant sources.

Of course, dumping grey water onto the ground at a campground is less of an environmental issue and more of a overuse and mess issue. 

I have been known to personally drive the horse drawn honey wagon in the 3000 loop.

3 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

This is why I only recommend camping in the 3000 loop, where site rental always includes complimentary white-glove dump services.  Well, they were white anyways.  

17 minutes ago, ftwildernessguy said:

I have been known to personally drive the horse drawn honey wagon in the 3000 loop.

See boys... those are the answers that I needed ;)