20 minutes ago, Beckers said:

Any advice on car rentals? This will be the first time we have ever rented one. Advice on deals or anything extra we should know?

I assume this is for your trip to WDW.  Are you planning to pick up and return the car to Orlando Intentional Airport, or are you trying to pick it up and/or return it on WDW property?  Are you a member of any organization that provides a discount (like AAA, USAA, etc.)?

TCD

Sam's and Costco also offer decent discounts.  But I'll reiterate my earlier comment to check out Priceline.  We've rented twice through them for family trips.  Once, we were going on a cruise and needed a minivan from MCO.  I was weighing the costs of private transportation to the port, vs a rental and parking at the port.  I put in what I thought was too low of a bid and it was accepted, making it quite a bit cheaper to rent the van and just leave it at the port during the cruise than arranging shuttles or private car services.  

We always rent a car and my first step is always visiting mousesavers.com for all the latest codes. She updates regularly and lists codes and coupons by company.  I also recommend Costco. We got a fantastic rate for our CA trip going through Costco.

I always use the AAA or USAA site to rent cars.  I check both, and find the best deal.  It's amazing how much the prices can vary when you play around with dates and car types.  The thing that keeps me away from Priceline is that I want to know who I'm going to rent from, as it could make a difference where I have to pick up and drop off the car.  But, if you're definitely picking up and dropping off at MCO, then DIT's suggestion of Priceline might be the cheapest way to go.

TCD

One other thing to look at is where you rent the car. It is often less expensive to rent a car away from the airport. When we travel back to the Chicago area we rent a car for about half the price in the suburbs as the same company will charge from O'Hare. We either need to be picked up by family or take a limo from the airport but the savings are well worth it. I can usually get the drop off fees waved so we will then drive the rental back to O'hare when we leave.

Enterprise can have some good deals depending on the days of the week you need them.  Biggest thing with them that won't affect you, is that you can only go into states bordering where you rented from with free miles.  Go past those borders and you pay by the mile.

Priceline and Hotwire seem to be the best.

There is a smally company called Sixty that has good rates, but will only accept certain types of credit cards.

Enterprise can have some good deals depending on the days of the week you need them.  Biggest thing with them that won't affect you, is that you can only go into states bordering where you rented from with free miles.  Go past those borders and you pay by the mile.

Priceline and Hotwire seem to be the best.

There is a smally company called Sixty that has good rates, but will only accept certain types of credit cards.

We have always rented from Enterprise with the unlimited miles and taken the car into non bordering states. They have never said anything to us and have been aware where we were traveling to.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Maybe they changed the rules, or maybe it's a FL thing.

I rented from them when we planned on driving to Atlanta, but couldn't when we wanted to go to Nashville.

Could also be like the Fort and not enforced by all Enterprise agencies.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Becker's yes we get discounts thru work, you have to go thru the UPSer's web site to link to get the rate, we used Budget the last time we flew and were able to pick the car up right outside the terminal.

9 minutes ago, Beckers said:

If you use Priceline's name your price thing, do you find out where the company is before? we don't feel like dealing with the shuttle to get the car (I'm picky I know :) 

Previously no, you don't find out until you win the bid.

I haven't used them in a year or so, so it may have changed, but I doubt it.

Last couple of times I've used Hertz with a code someone gave me and it saved me some $.  

Renting a car is like booking the Fort or an offsite hotel.  It all depends on the date and if there are an abundance of sites/rooms.

48 minutes ago, Beckers said:

If you use Priceline's name your price thing, do you find out where the company is before? we don't feel like dealing with the shuttle to get the car (I'm picky I know :) 

That's what I was trying to say about Priceline. I'm the same way- I don't want to "win" a bid and then find out I have to take a shuttle to get the car.

TCD

One other thing to check aside from your daily rental rate is for insurance coverage....  Check with your credit card company as some cards will cover the insurance if you use that card for the rental.  Also check to see if  your personal insurance will cover a rental car as well and get the details.  My insurance agent (State Farm) once told me during a conversation around this, is that if you use your personal insurance to cover the car and something happens, the personal insurance would pay to repair the car, however, the rental car company could come back and charge you for lost revenue while that car is out of service.  Things could have changed since then, but the time to find out that something is not covered is when you are watching the car being towed away after an accident.  I am in a rental car about once every other week, and my company carries the rental car coverage with their negotiated rate.