DisneyQuest to Close July 3, NBA Experience to replace

Thanks to wdwnt.com and Disney Parks Blog for this breaking information, our beloved DisneyQuest is finally closing.  sniff sniff sniff

Now, where am I going to play the video games I love so much?

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/01/breaking-disneyquest-close-july-3-nba-way/

From the Disney Parks Blog:

Our multi-year transformation of Disney Springs is continuing, and as you know, we’re bringing new experiences to the West Side Neighborhood, including The NBA Experience at Walt Disney World Resort. Today, we wanted to share an update that to make way for this basketball-themed experience, the West Side area will be undergoing changes – beginning with the closure of DisneyQuest on July 3, 2017.

Until July 3, DisneyQuest will continue to offer a great interactive experience for all guests. Disney fans of classic arcade game favorites and virtual worlds featured at the indoor theme park are invited to come out and enjoy the experiences.

As we’ve previously shared, The NBA Experience at Walt Disney World Resort will be a one-of-a-kind basketball-themed experience featuring hands-on activities that put guests of all ages right in the middle of NBA game action. There will be immersive NBA video productions and numerous interactive experiences, as well as a restaurant and a retail store.

Keep checking the Disney Parks Blog for more updates on The NBA Experience at Walt Disney World Resort and the continuing transformation of Disney Springs.

article credit: wdwnt.com and Disney Parks Blog

5 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Do people actually like basketball?

OK sorry that was harsh, I know there are basketball fans out there. I have never been to Disney Quest, but it was an idea to do when my nephew is down this summer. I know for sure a basketball anything is something we would avoid like the plague. 

I can't find the article but I read they are actually considering shortening the length of basketball games due to people having shorten attention spans. I'm totally not joking.

5 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Do people actually like basketball?

OK sorry that was harsh, I know there are basketball fans out there. I have never been to Disney Quest, but it was an idea to do when my nephew is down this summer. I know for sure a basketball anything is something we would avoid like the plague. 

For some reason, my son loves basketball.  I cannot stand it personally.

This project was first announced in 2015, and we had a pretty good discussion about it here back then:

Then they go through the huge multi-year construction project at Disney Springs, and no further word about Disney Quest closing until now.

I wonder what was going on behind the scenes?  Even by Disney standards this project is moving forward very slowly.

It sure seems like it would have been easier to complete the construction while every thing else was torn up.

TCD

12 hours ago, Beckers said:

I like basketball, but personally you could shorten football games by about 2 hours and I'd be happy. 

My boys enjoyed Disney Quest but the last few times we went, which was several years ago, it seemed like more things were broken than working. I always found it dark, loud and headache inducing. The older one would probably like the NBA experience but I doubt would go more than once.

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 11:27 AM, Travisma said:

Same here.  To me it's an odd match.  Does Disney own any BB teams?

I don't really care enough about it to spend the time reading up on it- Disney does not own any basketball teams, but it does own ESPN, and they apparently inked a new TV contract with the NBA last year that is going to cost them a fortune.  One article I found on the subject of the TV deal called it unsustainable.  Which is a nice word for crazy.

So, this new joint is going to be an ESPN/NBA infomercial.

I think the smart guys with the fancy degrees call that synergy.

I say good luck with that.

TCD

27 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I don't really care enough about it to spend the time reading up on it- Disney does not own any basketball teams, but it does own ESPN, and they apparently inked a new TV contract with the NBA last year that is going to cost them a fortune.  One article I found on the subject of the TV deal called it unsustainable.  Which is a nice word for crazy.

So, this new joint is going to be an ESPN/NBA infomercial.

I think the smart guys with the fancy degrees call that synergy.

I say good luck with that.

TCD

And common folk call it bat sh** crazy!

12 hours ago, JEANYSANCHEZ44 said:

I love Basketball and I will enjoy this new NBA experience !B) 

Hooray for the NBA Experience....  Jeanysanchez44

Who cares about the NBA Experience.....  Everyone else

To each his/her own. :P

Maybe it'll be a big draw, to me it just doesn't fit in.

But with the revamping of Downtown Disney to Disney Springs, and all the high priced stores that have nothing to do with Disney, maybe it'll work.

7 minutes ago, Beckers said:

Ironically if Disney quest was in my home town I would probably love it. But when I'm in Disney I don't want to spend my time at an arcade (I also feel this way about the water parks too). 

I used to feel this way, but I went to Disney Quest the first year it was open, and they did a great job in bringing the Disney magic with it.   You didn't just walk into the building, like an arcade.  You were funneled into a room ( elevator) and were greeted by the Genie,  with some awesome effects.   There were parts that felt 'arcade', but many parts, like the Animation Academy,  CyberSpaceMountain and the Astro Blasters.. that just sucked you right into the story.  Great Imagineering there.  

And if you like swimming,  Typhoon Lagoon will knock your socks off.(literally, the wave is awe inspiring!)  and also has a lot of theming to keep the Disney magic going.

1 hour ago, Beckers said:

Ironically if Disney quest was in my home town I would probably love it. But when I'm in Disney I don't want to spend my time at an arcade (I also feel this way about the water parks too). 

You were THIS CLOSE to having one.....

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1998-12-10/business/1998344128_1_walt-disney-disney-regional-disneyquest