We watched a shuttle launch from the pool at the Contemporary many years ago.  It was more exciting than I would have expected.  We also watched a rocket launch from the rooftop garage of a Cocoa Beach hotel.  That was fantastic!  My DS and DH were fortunate to see one of the last Shuttles launch at the Space Center - my son still talks about it.  

I guess I pretty much just labeled us as space geeks.

Thanks for the link!!

We saw a shuttle launch from the penthouse patio at Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress.  Wasn't occupied at the time, management opened it to guests and even provided snacks.

Shuttles could been seen at quite a distance.  On clear days we could watch launches from Tampa, but of course it's not like being within a few miles of them and hearing/feeling their true power.

Ages ago, we camped in a field  (with 100's of others) right across the Indian River from the Kennedy Space Center.  It was a morning launch and the area was mobbed with people, but it was a fantastic experience.

I'm pretty sure the field is now condos or a strip mall.

I was able to pair 3 Disney trips with shuttle launches.   We drove out to the coast to watch them, each time.    The last one, I managed to get a pass to park on the lake at Kennedy Space Center, where we could watch the countdown clock.  It was a night launch.  It was absolutely jaw dropping, how much power is in those launch engines.  The night sky was eradicate, it was as bright as day.  Poor folks looking through their video camera viewfinders were blinded.

All of the launches were awesome to see, though.   I'm just a space nerd at heart. 

If you have a few minutes, here's one of my favorite 'filk' songs about the space program.  This artist puts a slower paced verse in the middle that I've never heard before.. but make it past that.. the whole song is worth listening to, really.

My uncle used to be a Supervisor at the Cape and lived in Titusville.  I tried to visit at least once every couple years in the mid-late sixties to enjoy the Florida warmth and outdoor activities.  Every so often, my uncle would return home from work, enjoy dinner, and without notice say something like "I think we should all go out into the yard for some fresh air".  Moments later the fascinating sight and roar of a rocket going up would capture our attention.  Man, that was the heyday of the Space Coast.  I miss it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I watched several shuttles go up from the west coast nothing like being at the cape or Kennedy. Sadly one of those launches was the Challenger. I also remember the shuttle flying over to land and the Sonic booms.  Have watched rockets from the beach in Melbourne. Unfortunately the time we could have got on property at Kennedy to watch a shuttle the launch was cancelled multiple times till we finally went home, it launched the next day.  

I definitely want to get back over to see some more rockets go up.

Thanks for the link. 

One day we were pool side at ASMusic and talking with other guests about driving to Cape Canaveral to watch the shuttle launch the next day. We decided we would go. Then about 5 minutes later we look to the east and there goes the shuttle.  Our new friends were off by one day.  It was still really cool to see.