It's An Old Dog; New Tricks; Pop And Fort TCD Trip Report

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

However, they have NEVER used this feature. The building and concrete settled and they can't get the modules OUT!!! So therefore, they remodel the rooms the old fashioned way. I'm also guessing it's

This has nothing to do with this thread but since it got so far off topic I figure I'd throw something I think is funny in the mix.

Todd- That is a great scan! Thanks! The text says that both the Polynesian and Contemporary resorts were constructed by use of the modular room method. The text says that the rooms were prefabricated

Posted Images

I have never stayed at Pop and didn't know about this. I can imagine that view would have been quite annoying for the past 8 years though. It amazes me that Disney does this so often.

Great report Andrew!

Can't wait for the next one.

We stayed at POP in January of 05 and I swore I would not go back. The food court was great but the rest of the place they can keep.

Thanks! Happy Early Birthday to you! I'm actually enjoying 30, thus far. :)

Thanks YodaGirl!

Thanks for saving the snark!

I already feel bad enough after hearing that you and WBI are only 30 years old.

Enjoy your 30's!

I know that I did.

I'm just sad that I am almost done enjoying my 40's.

TCD

Thanks TCD, I'm going to enjoy them as much as possible.

And don't worry from your trip reports I think you enjoy life to the fullest, it doesn't really matter what your age is as long as you do that!

WBI

Ok, time for a word geek break... Someone not too long ago used the term "yada, yada, yada". Did you know that in Hebrew (at least in biblical Hebrew) yada means "to know", so in essence "yada, yada, yada" means "ya know?" which we all know is a shorthand way of saying "you know what I mean without me filling in all the tedious details".

Ah yes, three semesters of Hebrew finally pays off!

Great job enjoy your weekend

Thanks, and the same to you!

Here is video from 4 years ago it could be TCD

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=bSc1fG0ETeY

Nope.

That was not TCD.

But, it is a very good video.

Thanks for posting it, Todd.

Thanks YodaGirl!

Thanks TCD, I'm going to enjoy them as much as possible.

And don't worry from your trip reports I think you enjoy life to the fullest, it doesn't really matter what your age is as long as you do that!

WBI

Yep. I still have some tread left on the tires.

Ok, time for a word geek break... Someone not too long ago used the term "yada, yada, yada". Did you know that in Hebrew (at least in biblical Hebrew) yada means "to know", so in essence "yada, yada, yada" means "ya know?" which we all know is a shorthand way of saying "you know what I mean without me filling in all the tedious details".

תודה לך!

דַע Yaw-dah' ... Like all Hebrew, it is contextual, and has a plethora of meanings. 'to know' is the most common meaning - but even that has different meaning contextually.

והאדם ידע את חוה אשתו ותהר ותלד את קין ותאמר קניתי איש את יהוה׃ Genesis 4:1 ... And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD. (yada is dedicating ourselves to a person so we can engage them with our love and affection.)

יודע צדיק נפש בהמתו ורחמי רשעים אכזרי׃ Proverbs 12:10 ...A righteous man knows the needs of their animals, but the mercy of the wicked is cruel. (yada is understanding the needs of those around us and taking care of them.)

התמלך כי אתה מתחרה בארז אביך הלוא אכל ושתה ועשה משפט וצדקה אז טוב לו׃

דן דין עני ואביון אז טוב הלוא היא הדעת אתי נאם יהוה׃ Jeremiah 22:15-16 ... Jeremiah (a prophet) is delivering a scathing rebuke to the king of Judah. This king had acted selfishly, neglected the poor and needy, and exploited others to build his kingdom. The LORD tells this corrupt king what it truly means to know the LORD. 1. Doing justice, 2. Showing mercy to the poor and needy, 3. Exemplifying good and righteous character. (yada is faithfully living out our covenant relationship with the LORD in every area of our life.)

דַע Yaw-dah' ... Like all Hebrew, it is contextual, and has a plethora of meanings. 'to know' is the most common meaning - but even that has different meaning contextually.

והאדם ידע את חוה אשתו ותהר ותלד את קין ותאמר קניתי איש את יהוה׃ Genesis 4:1 ... And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD. (yada is dedicating ourselves to a person so we can engage them with our love and affection.)

יודע צדיק נפש בהמתו ורחמי רשעים אכזרי׃ Proverbs 12:10 ...A righteous man knows the needs of their animals, but the mercy of the wicked is cruel. (yada is understanding the needs of those around us and taking care of them.)

התמלך כי אתה מתחרה בארז אביך הלוא אכל ושתה ועשה משפט וצדקה אז טוב לו׃

דן דין עני ואביון אז טוב הלוא היא הדעת אתי נאם יהוה׃ Jeremiah 22:15-16 ... Jeremiah (a prophet) is delivering a scathing rebuke to the king of Judah. This king had acted selfishly, neglected the poor and needy, and exploited others to build his kingdom. The LORD tells this corrupt king what it truly means to know the LORD. 1. Doing justice, 2. Showing mercy to the poor and needy, 3. Exemplifying good and righteous character. (yada is faithfully living out our covenant relationship with the LORD in every area of our life.)

Whoa!

Now that is a thread hijack to behold!

Who'd a thunk that we would have Bible scholars debating the meaning of a Hebrew word in a TCD trip report?

Not me!

If I remember correctly, Shanta did some studying in a seminary (which I think consisted mostly of drinking HeBrew beer with a group of fellow seminarians).

Ed- where do your mad Hebrew skills come from?

The hubs says that over time that tread all seems to settle around the middle... ;)

Another great report TCD. Can't wait for the next one!

That Bruce is a witty one.

And he's right, too.

Don't worry, you won't have to wait very long at all for the next one.

TCD

Whoa!

Now that is a thread hijack to behold!

Who'd a thunk that we would have Bible scholars debating the meaning of a Hebrew word in a TCD trip report?

Not me!

If I remember correctly, Shanta did some studying in a seminary (which I think consisted mostly of drinking HeBrew beer with a group of fellow seminarians).

Ed- where do your mad Hebrew skills come from?

TCD

It helps to be Jewish

Thanks TCD for all the info and pictures and as always look for your next trip report.

Lights must be on flags after sunset or taken down is what I've been told, not everyone does this correctly but I say it is the thought that counts. My son who is in the National Guard disposed of my old flags properly when they became torn or otherwise damaged. Our flagpole didn't make it two years ago during a winter storm so no more flags fly here.

I stayed at Pop about 10 years ago and found that it is HUGE and we were in the 80's building also. The Coronado Resort has bus stops (I think 4) throughout their resort and I was surprised with the size of Pop that it didn't.

And sorry folks...I am routing for the Bruins to win tonight's game!!!

Nancy

The Coronado Resort has bus stops (I think 4) throughout their resort and I was surprised with the size of Pop that it didn't.

And sorry folks...I am routing for the Bruins to win tonight's game!

On other forums, Pop Century's bus situation is said to be the best, I would agree to a point.

It has it's own dedicated buses in the morning that are called in by a dispatcher sitting in a van just outside the main entrance. When he sees that a que is getting long, he calls a bus and within two minutes it's there. Coronado Springs does not. All Star Resorts & Port Orleans do as well.

Just a note about the "Walt running aground" story. This could not have happened as Bay Lake is man made and was not completed until most of the MK was in place. Part of the area where the lake is was used as fill for the theme park and surrounding area. The island was, to my understanding, an original design element to break up the open area of water and add some visual interest. Later it became Discovery Island which eventually went the way of River Country. When Walt toured this area, this was basically a swamp and there wasn't a clearly defined lake. I hunted that area with my Dad when I was young. Lots of deer and hogs used to live there. These are the facts as I know them and came from having a number of friends involved in the construction of DW from the beginning. I believe them to be true, but are subject to correction with someone with a better memory than mine.:lol:

And thank you TCD for some very interesting TR's.

I saw news footage of the LA earthquake back in the 90's. Cars were falling straight through.

Thanks for that. Now I can be scared on bridges too. :)

Pretty cool that you got the 80's section at Pop Century. I hear they made good things in the 80's...May 1981 to be exact. B)

In May 1981, I was about to graduate from high school! Young whippersnapper! :yourekillinme:

Does that say "not a thing"? I'm pretty rusty and know nothing of modern usage... But it'd be hilarious if the reply for thank you in Hebrew is literally, ain't no thang! (told you I'm a word geek!)

:bellringer: Al Lo Davar Literally: On no thing; Idiomatically: it's nothing, don't mention it - so 'You're welcome' is ain't no thang in Hebrew :rofl2:<br>btw - it was first used by Rashi, so it would be hard to call it 'Modern usage'<br>

Just a note about the "Walt running aground" story. This could not have happened as Bay Lake is man made and was not completed until most of the MK was in place. Part of the area where the lake is was used as fill for the theme park and surrounding area. The island was, to my understanding, an original design element to break up the open area of water and add some visual interest. Later it became Discovery Island which eventually went the way of River Country. When Walt toured this area, this was basically a swamp and there wasn't a clearly defined lake. I hunted that area with my Dad when I was young. Lots of deer and hogs used to live there. These are the facts as I know them and came from having a number of friends involved in the construction of DW from the beginning. I believe them to be true, but are subject to correction with someone with a better memory than mine.:lol:

And thank you TCD for some very interesting TR's.

Hello, everyone! This is my first post... someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Bay Lake is actually a natural lake. Also, Discovery Island is a real island with a history of people who owned it and lived on it. (Research: RAZ Island, Idle Bay Isle, and Riles Island) . Walt Disney purchased this in 1965. "Seven Seas Lagoon" is the man-made lake in front of the MK. So maybe there is something to the "lore" surrounding Shipwreck Island? :wave1:

Hello again to everyone!

I have heard the story about Walt Disney and Shipwreck Island from a couple of CMs on the boats.

I also heard stories about CMs in training having driven boats aground on the island and so it was called Shipwreck Island.

I tend to agree with TCD in that it's a lot of BS.

Tri-B