Spring Break 2011 @ The Fort By TCD

Your wish, my command, etc. :)

It was a setting to PREVENT PEOPLE FROM SHOUTING IN THEIR THREAD TITLES. Hopefully we won't have a problem with that.

Yeah!!! That's great that you could fix that... I gave some poor fiend grief over saying "Ids" in their title when it should have been "IDs", with out ever knowing that the system made it impossible to type it right. Oh, who am I kidding, I would have still found something to pick on...

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is just plain ridiculous. What the heck is going on here? TCD leaves for months and then comes back writing 4 or 5 trip reports at once?!? Is TCD getting paid to write trip reports?! Conspiracy!

It's not just your run of the mill Hippie, it's the accordion playing hippie or APH, that are the problem. Drove through the 3000 loop today and saw this sign. See, management is listening. I didn't s

Ok, so I was nosy and called the fish feeder place. I talked to a nice gentleman who told me there are a total of 4 fish feeders on Disney Property. The solar panel on top charges a little battery tha

There was a mist hanging over the swampy area between the 300 and 1500 loops:

101_0017.jpg

TCD

Nice photos!

You sure we weren't there the same time? I actually caught this one last October.

standard.jpg

You might have gotten up earlier than I usually do on your trip. Kudos to you if you did.

:))

Keep it coming.

TCD trip reports have replaced my magazines for leisurely reading.. not that I get alot of down time, but when I do I'm here reading your reports, love the way you bring out the obviously missed things about the Fort, and your investigative eye and writing style is entertaining! Let's Go! :popcorn:

School is out, I'm back from the beach, and ready to get aaaalllllll caught up! Can't believe I caught you only on page 3

Love the fog pics - they really capture the peacefulness of the Fort that keeps us all coming back.

TCD Another Awesome Trip Report! You are one seriously good upfront behind the scenes entertaining trip reporting journalistic Fort Fiend.

Thanks sharing/informing/reporting/entertaining the rest of us Fiends so well. :D

Did I really get in on just the third page? Go me.

I did take notes so that I didn't miss anything. This pregnancy brain is getting the best of me.

Let's see...

Hate to hear that you got started late. That seems to be the norm for us, and it always stinks. Especially at the end of the driving when you're saying to yourself, "I could have been there already!".

We've never managed to stay in the 1500 Loop. We were assigned 1501? (the site directly by the bus stop) in 2004. The only problem was that my confirmation was for a preferred site. I never did understand that. We were told that there wasn't a preferred site available. Of course, when my mom called after I talked to the Outpost, they said that she could most definitely book a preferred site for the same dates. Imagine their surprise when she said, "Then what's the problem with giving my daughter and son-in-law the preferred site that they were booked?". Oops. Begrudgingly, they put us in the 800 Loop. If the 1500 Loop site hadn't been so bad, it probably would've been better than the 800, but there were hardly any trees on the 1500 Loop. I'm still not sure where wires got crossed and what the problem was. My best guess was that it was the week of July 4th, we were young, we were in a tent, and they figured that they could sell the preferred site to someone else? I don't know. It got fixed. I just wish I could've figured out what the problem was. That was a long tangent. Back to comments on your TR...

Those were a lot of dogs. And there was a very large dog. At first glance, I thought that it was a pony...

DH would love to spend the night in a hammock at the Fort. I'm not that adventurous.

Sorry to hear about your team in the NCAA tournament. I root for UK. They made it to Final Four, but I'm still mad about that game...and the fact that they couldn't buy a basket. Well, that is until the 3 pointer that they made at the end of the game when it was too late to come back. Ridiculous. I'll get over it eventually...sometime after I get over Laettner stomping Mashburn back in '92. And then they put Laettner on the Dream Team. Whatever. Like I said, eventually.

Hemp. That reminds me...when I was in school, hemp sandals made a comeback. They were banned. I guess they thought that we were going to smoke them? Weird...

I loved your settlement and old Marshmallow Marsh pictures! I love looking at pictures. Always up for more!

Can't wait for the rest of your report!

You took notes???

Good job!

And great comments.

Just two comments on your comments:

1. If you ever happen to be assigned to 1501 again, go ahead and take it. The location is great, and the bus noise is really not bad.

2. I believe that hemp is made from marijuana plants. I think. I am no expert on the subject. You may remember that I suffer from hippiephobia, so as a rule I typically avoid these types of things.

You would never guess that this picture was taken at the Fort. I feel like I'm at a bayou101_0097.jpg

I really like this photo as well. You can't tell where the water ends and the sky begins.

You are correct. There is no way I wanted to rip Wally. I have been following him on his Facebook page for quite a while, and was shocked and more than a little upset when I learned of his passing.

I appreciate that you brought Wally's passing to our attention. I was not familiar with Wally, but the pioneers of the WDW company were really something else.

I recently revisited the One Man's Dream Attraction and sat through the movie at the end. Sadly, there were only a handful of folks in the theater. I know it sounds cliche' but it is really amazing that one man's vision led to the creation of the Disney empire. I can't imagine anything like that ever happening again.

Thanks for adding another trip report again TCD. I try to show DH all your pictures and all he can say is that he will see it when he gets there..spoilsport!

I will add that on one of our trips to the Fort when they were replacing the roof of the pool building they used specially made tiles for the roofing material that looked like shingles but were long lasting poly "something". He asked a few of the fellows that were working on it and none of them spoke English so he had to wait until someone who looked like he was in charge and HE spoke English. So...maybe the same material will be used on the roof at the Settlement? Will have to compare when we go in September...supposedly they were specially made for Disney.

Nancy

Nancy. Shhhhh! I actually do know what they used for the new Settlement Trading Post roof. But I did not find out on this visit. I found out on an April visit. Which will be the subject of yet another TCD trip report coming soon to a discussion board near you. Until then, the roof shingle mystery is what we call a cliff hanger.

Wow,it's a small world! Most people don't realize that there are places so "country" in Florida. You are correct, Blountstown is our nearest "civilization!"

I am loving this report and looking forward to your next installment!

Yep. I've been to Blountstown. I'm not sure exactly where you are in relation to it, but my recollection was that we drove through a lot of pine trees before and after our stop in Blountstown.

I love rural Florida.

And you're right, folks have no idea how much of it is there is.

Sometime, I'll share my story of a visit to a friend's family who lived in one of Florida's one stoplight town. A new Chinese Restaurant had recently opened in the town's sole strip shopping center. We were going to go try it. My friend's dad asked what Chinese food was. Someone mentioned egg rolls. The guy had no idea what an egg roll was. I am talking about a man in his 70's. He had lived in this little town all his life, and had never heard of these exotic things called egg rolls.

Wow, I can't believe it took me 3 pages to see that there was another TCD report~!~ I can't wait for more.

John- No biggie. You are here now. This thing is really just getting started. There is still plenty to come. I assume you are feeling better? That is good to hear.

Your wish, my command, etc. :)

It was a setting to PREVENT PEOPLE FROM SHOUTING IN THEIR THREAD TITLES. Hopefully we won't have a problem with that.

Thank you!

WHAT'S WRONG WITH SHOUTING IN THREAD TITLES?????

Just kidding.

I get it.

Thanks for fixing it.

Hopefully it won't get abused.

You are the best Webmaster of all time!

Yeah!!! That's great that you could fix that... I gave some poor fiend grief over saying "Ids" in their title when it should have been "IDs", with out ever knowing that the system made it impossible to type it right. Oh, who am I kidding, I would have still found something to pick on...

And that is why we love you!

Keep up the good work!

Nice photos!

You sure we weren't there the same time? I actually caught this one last October.

standard.jpg

You might have gotten up earlier than I usually do on your trip. Kudos to you if you did.

:))

Keep it coming.

Tom- That is too funny! I like your photo too.

To any of you "not a morning person" types reading along- you really are missing something if you sleep in at the Fort.

But, that's OK.

More tranquility for me and Tom.

Love the misty Fort pics!!

And yeah... Doodle has me out-dogged. Although sometimes my 3 feel like 5 - or 17! ;)

Maybe we will get a cool spell in October, and you will be able to see for yourself!

I will comment on some of the other posts in just a bit- I had a longer response ready, but it looks like there is still a limit (10?) on multi-quotes.

TCD

As usual I'm late to the party for the latest TCD trip report. Loving your pictures of the lake in the morning, You make me want to get up early the next time we are at the Fort! Keep the great reports coming, the more the better! :popcorn:

The hemp that the twins have (I think) up where we live they call it gimp, the kids braid it and make things like bracelets out of it, it looks like the same stuff. I could be wrong just ask my wife she tells me that all the time.

OK, I have some more comments to respond to, and then we will move on.

This is my third attempt at some of these, so hopefully this will stick, and we can going on the rest of the report.

TCD trip reports have replaced my magazines for leisurely reading.. not that I get alot of down time, but when I do I'm here reading your reports, love the way you bring out the obviously missed things about the Fort, and your investigative eye and writing style is entertaining! Let's Go! :popcorn:

Wow! You would rather read this stuff than a magazine?

I'm touched (Mrs. TCD would agree with that).

If you like me pointing out obviously missed things, then stay tuned, I have some more of that type of thing coming right up.

TCD another fantastic TR!! I always love how well your pics of the lake come out.

Thanks, Steve.

But, no matter how good the photo, nothing beats visiting Bay Lake in person.

The spot where I took these photos is a spot that I visit every trip.

School is out, I'm back from the beach, and ready to get aaaalllllll caught up! Can't believe I caught you only on page 3

Love the fog pics - they really capture the peacefulness of the Fort that keeps us all coming back.

Hooray for Summer!

I'm glad that you will get a chance to catch up.

Because there's a lot to catch up to!

TCD Another Awesome Trip Report! You are one seriously good upfront behind the scenes entertaining trip reporting journalistic Fort Fiend.

Thanks sharing/informing/reporting/entertaining the rest of us Fiends so well. :D

Thank, you sir.

I appreciate your kind words.

Holy crap three pages. I'm in class the next few days though, so I won't keep up :(<br> Dan

Class?

Class?

What kind of class?

How could you learn anything in class that is better than what you could learn here?

Have fun in class.

We will be here when you get done.

As usual I'm late to the party for the latest TCD trip report. Loving your pictures of the lake in the morning, You make me want to get up early the next time we are at the Fort! Keep the great reports coming, the more the better! :popcorn:

OK, this is the last time I'm going to say this (well not really): Don't sleep in every day at the Fort. The mornings are truly a magical time, and you have no idea what you are missing. You can sleep when you get home.

The hemp that the twins have (I think) up where we live they call it gimp, the kids braid it and make things like bracelets out of it, it looks like the same stuff. I could be wrong just ask my wife she tells me that all the time.

I guess that is what it is. They got it at the local Michael's craft store. I can't imagine that it is anything illegal.

There we go.

All caught up.

Let's get this thing moving again!

TCD

The hemp used for rope, twine, etc IS related to the "other kind" - the same way summer squash, winter squash and gourds are related. They are the same, but different in the important way.

Thanks, it makes sense to me.

I figured it is something like that, because I believe that you can still buy hemp rope, and even clothing made of hemp.

TCD

Moving right along.

In the last update, we were on the shores of Bay Lake.

For now, we will head back into the campground to visit another of my favorite sites.

It's the footbridge that leads from the 600 loop to the Meadow Campfire area.

This is another spot that I always visit.

And, it gives me a chance to post a couple more photos of my favorite campsite in Fort Wilderness- site 617:

101_0108.jpg

Here we are crossing the 600 loop, and looking toward the loop entrance:

101_0109.jpg

As most of you know, this part of the 600 loop is new. It was added in 2009. It is almost always full. I understand the attraction of the sites that back up to the lake, but I personally don't like this loop. I wish they had left the open area that used to be here alone. No offense to you 600 loop fans.

Here we are looking at the bridge:

101_0110.jpg

If you turn to your left as you walk on to the bridge, this is what you see. This little canal separates the 600 loop on the left in this photo from the 1400 loop on the right:

101_0111.jpg

101_0112.jpg

I prefer the view toward the right:

101_0113.jpg

101_0114.jpg

That's the Meadow Trading Post on the right.

Now, here's one of those attention to detail things.

Here's a shot from the exact same spot, taken in mid-February (about six weeks earlier):

Resized to 88% (was 800 x 600) - Click image to enlarge100_8996.jpg

Look at how much has changed in just 5-6 weeks.

Despite what you may have heard, there are seasons in Florida.

This photo shows you that.

If you liked that, I have a similar comparison coming up for you.

Here we are on the bridge looking toward the campfire area:

101_0115.jpg

101_0116.jpg

And, for good measure, here's another look down the canal. Notice how the back of that trailer reflects in the water, even though you can really see it clearly through the leaves:

101_0117.jpg

101_0118.jpg

Here we are heading out of the 600 loop. Here are three shots of good old 617, first from the side, and then as we walk past the grill:

101_0119.jpg

101_0120.jpg

I wish I had been here when the camper used his propane stove:

101_0121.jpg

As we head down the road toward the Meadow Trading Post, check out how close this camper with the hybrid's bunk end is to the sidewalk and main road:

101_0122.jpg

101_0123.jpg

This camper is also paying $30 more a night for the privilege of staying in this premium campsite than I am for my partial hook up site.

Another sucker.

Here's a shot of the new part of the 600 loop which shows its lack of trees and wilderness:

101_0124.jpg

Here's the comparison photo I mentioned above. This giant sycamore tree grows majestically behind the Meadow Trading Post:

101_0126.jpg

Here's the same tree, from about the same spot just five to six weeks earlier:

100_9004.jpg

Isn't that a cool thing to look at?

This is the bridge behind the Meadow Trading Post. The barricades blocking golf carts are still there. I guess the barricades are now permanent:

101_0128.jpg

Here we are at the sidewalk in front of the Meadow Trading Post. There is something new here:

101_0130.jpg

101_0131.jpg

I have already seen a few photos of this not-so-hidden-mickey here on the Fort Fiends site. So, this may not be news to some of you. But, that not-so-hidden-mickey didn't used to be there. I'm not sure where it came from, but it is there now.

I ordinarily wouldn't waste my time photographing an armadillo, as they are a very common sight around the Fort. But, this fellow was out in the daylight, and he was right here at the Meadow Trading Post. You can see him if you look on the ground, through the plants in these photos:

101_0133.jpg

101_0134.jpg

The little booger was fast. He ran all the way around the Trading Post, and disappeared into these bushes here:

101_0135.jpg

Here are two photos of Bear Rock, for you Bear Rock fans:

101_0136.jpg

101_0137.jpg

That is just a beautiful, view, isn't it?

And here are two more of my favorite photos from this trip. These show the little dock behind the Meadow Trading Post. There was a fellow fishing there. You can see his illegal refillable mug there on the picnic table. I tried to keep him and his mug out of the shot, but I couldn't. I still like the way these photos came out. Pay particular attention to how the Bike Barn is reflecting in the lake:

101_0138.jpg

101_0139.jpg

While I lke these shots, I think that they would have been better if that ugly thing wasn't floating out there in the lake.

What the heck is that thing, anyway?

I'll need to check that out sometime, won't I?

Next up, I grab another cup of mud, and I sit a spell at one of my favorite spots.

Then, we are going to go off on our little adventure.

TCD

1503 is a great site - especially for families - close to the pool - lots of room to spread out your stuff and the kids love to poke around and explore the little patch of woods right there. You are also right about the bus noise . . . for some reason it's just not that bad once you get used to it.

Now lets get back to this book idea - I would buy it! I can see the chapters now - RMOG hall of fame, forgotten wonders, FW courtesy, favorite trip reports, etc. You have a special wit when you write that Im certain would translate well into print. Why not try a limited run and sell it through everyones favorite website.

I didn't know there were armadillo's in Florida - I thought they were a midwest animal. I would have been shocked silly if I had seen one around the Fort. Shows you what Connecticut people know about armadillo's.

On one our trips my son had a close up encounter with an armadillo. Our site was very near the Meadow pool, it was shorter to cut through the back of our site. On the way through in the dark he stepped on one. Needless to say he took the long way after that :rofl2:

1503 is a great site - especially for families - close to the pool - lots of room to spread out your stuff and the kids love to poke around and explore the little patch of woods right there. You are also right about the bus noise . . . for some reason it's just not that bad once you get used to it.

Now lets get back to this book idea - I would buy it! I can see the chapters now - RMOG hall of fame, forgotten wonders, FW courtesy, favorite trip reports, etc. You have a special wit when you write that Im certain would translate well into print. Why not try a limited run and sell it through everyones favorite website.

OK- no more talk about how great 1503 is. We need to keep that our little secret.

Those book chapters are great! I was thinking of something more serious- like a guidebook. There is a company called Passporter that put out a guidebook for the Disney Cruise Line- I had an old edition back before we took our first DCL cruise. I have always thought something like that might fly for the Fort- but I am not sure if the demand is there.

By the way- I love that collage in your signature. I see your famous duct tape pirate ship in there. Good job!

Another wonderful update!!

I can't believe how much growing went on in 5 weeks!

Yes. Stuff grows fast in Florida.

Which, in the case of my lawn, is not always a good thing.

I would be among those who didn't know central Florida had seasons. How long do the trees go without leaves?

Not long.

A lot of trees don't ever loose all their leaves. Trees like Live Oaks and Slash Pines, which are common at the Fort never go bare.

The Sycamore and Gum trees probably drop their leaves in January. Then, new leaves are already on their way be late February/early March.

People are often surprised that Cypress trees, which there are also a lot of around the Fort, are deciduous (drop their leaves), but they are. They are one of the first to grow leaves in spring.

I didn't know there were armadillo's in Florida - I thought they were a midwest animal. I would have been shocked silly if I had seen one around the Fort. Shows you what Connecticut people know about armadillo's.

I am surprised you didn't see any on your last visit. We always see armadillos at the Fort. But, rarely in the daylight.

TCD

If you have not figured out what it is, I did with my trip in April. I will not spoil the surprise if it comes out later in your trip report.

jon

Jon-

Thanks for not spoiling the surprise.

I was using the literary technique called foreshadowing to build interest in the upcoming chapters of my report.

I know what that ugly thing out there in the lake is.

And it ain't a floating trash can if anyone guessed that.

I will make the big reveal in a couple posts from now, when i get up close and personal with that thing.

TCD

You took notes???

Good job!

And great comments.

Just two comments on your comments:

1. If you ever happen to be assigned to 1501 again, go ahead and take it. The location is great, and the bus noise is really not bad.

2. I believe that hemp is made from marijuana plants. I think. I am no expert on the subject. You may remember that I suffer from hippiephobia, so as a rule I typically avoid these types of things.

I did take notes. I'm scatter-brained, lately.

As for hemp, it's a variation of cannabis (i.e. marijuana). The THC levels in industrial hemp aren't high enough to, well, get you high. Actually, I believe that the chemical make-up of it counters a marijuana high, but I'm not positive on that. It's definitely not illegal to buy. When I was in high school, I bought several necklace/bracelet kits that were made from hemp. At any rate, even if you could smoke hemp, why would you smoke your shoes? Seems kinda silly.

But, hey, at least we weren't playing accordions.

Now, on to the rest of your TR. :)