Spring Break 2011 @ The Fort By TCD

I did take notes. I'm scatter-brained, lately.

As for hemp, it's a variation of cannabis (i.e. marijuana). The THC levels in industrial hemp aren't high enough to, well, get you high. Actually, I believe that the chemical make-up of it counters a marijuana high, but I'm not positive on that. It's definitely not illegal to buy. When I was in high school, I bought several necklace/bracelet kits that were made from hemp. At any rate, even if you could smoke hemp, why would you smoke your shoes? Seems kinda silly.

But, hey, at least we weren't playing accordions.

Now, on to the rest of your TR. :)

Now you've done it.

Why did you have to mention accordions?

I had to go back and find my photos from my Spring Break '10 hippie encounter.

I will share them here for old time's sake:

SpringBreak2010425.jpg

SpringBreak2010426.jpg

Looks like my hippie buddy may have some hemp shoes there.

Don't quote me on this, but I think I did see him smoke them.

Or maybe I'm thinking of a Cheech and Chong movie?

A guidebook would be great - I think adding some history and funny stuff that goes on would make it a real winner! Get writing!

OK.

But, first you have to negotiate with my agent about my advance.

TCD

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is just plain ridiculous. What the heck is going on here? TCD leaves for months and then comes back writing 4 or 5 trip reports at once?!? Is TCD getting paid to write trip reports?! Conspiracy!

It's not just your run of the mill Hippie, it's the accordion playing hippie or APH, that are the problem. Drove through the 3000 loop today and saw this sign. See, management is listening. I didn't s

Ok, so I was nosy and called the fish feeder place. I talked to a nice gentleman who told me there are a total of 4 fish feeders on Disney Property. The solar panel on top charges a little battery tha

Sorry TCD, I should've known that if there was a question to be answered that it would be in following posts and I am sure that your explanation will be much better than mine.

Funny about armadillos...yes, they are a very shy animals, but at one time behind the 300 loop near the canal there was one right out in the open during the day just grubbing on the lawn and even though we had our Sheepdog with us, this armadillo did not blink when we came closer and closer. You can be sure that he was in the minority being one that didn't care what came up to it and we were within a foot of it and it never moved or looked at us, just kept on doing what it was doing. A man came over to it as we were leaving and had his little girls with him and tried to pick it up by its tail...we left after saying that it wasn't a good idea to do that.

Nancy

Sorry TCD, I should've known that if there was a question to be answered that it would be in following posts and I am sure that your explanation will be much better than mine.

Funny about armadillos...yes, they are a very shy animals, but at one time behind the 300 loop near the canal there was one right out in the open during the day just grubbing on the lawn and even though we had our Sheepdog with us, this armadillo did not blink when we came closer and closer. You can be sure that he was in the minority being one that didn't care what came up to it and we were within a foot of it and it never moved or looked at us, just kept on doing what it was doing. A man came over to it as we were leaving and had his little girls with him and tried to pick it up by its tail...we left after saying that it wasn't a good idea to do that.

Nancy

1. .Please, there is no need to apologize. You had some information, and you shared it. Plus, I'm sure that not many people really care what kind of shingles they used on the roof. I, for one, found it interesting.

2. I hear that armadillos have bad vision. I have often walked right up to one. I have also heard that they are the only animal that can carry the leprosy virus. So, I would say it's a good idea not to touch them. My DD's told me a story once after they had been out on a looping expedition. They came across a young boy stalking an armadillo. They dared him to pick it up. He did. He brought it back to his campsite, where his proud momma came out and took his picture. I wish I had a photo of that. I would say that kid will go far in life. (provided he hasn't contracted leprosy).

TCD

Now you've done it.

Why did you have to mention accordions?

I had to go back and find my photos from my Spring Break '10 hippie encounter.

I will share them here for old time's sake:

SpringBreak2010425.jpg

SpringBreak2010426.jpg

Looks like my hippie buddy may have some hemp shoes there.

Don't quote me on this, but I think I did see him smoke them.

Or maybe I'm thinking of a Cheech and Chong movie?

Well, I always hate to see things go up in smoke...

As for your last installment, I loved that last picture of the Meadows reflecting in the water. Very pretty.

On our October trip, I showed DH your favorite campsite. I meant to take a picture of it, but, for some reason, never did. DH wished that they'd left some of the food unattended. I told him if he was that hungry, that I'd buy him a Mickey bar. :D

Well, I always hate to see things go up in smoke...

As for your last installment, I loved that last picture of the Meadows reflecting in the water. Very pretty.

On our October trip, I showed DH your favorite campsite. I meant to take a picture of it, but, for some reason, never did. DH wished that they'd left some of the food unattended. I told him if he was that hungry, that I'd buy him a Mickey bar. :D

Nice pun!

I really would like to get a photo of someone actually using that grill on 617. Problem is I am not usually around those parts in the evening.

Upon our arrival at our site in the 300 loop at Christmas, there was an armadillo wandering around in broad daylight, midday ... I have pictures to prove it. He hung around the loop for our entire stay.

I believe you.

I occasionally see armadillos out during the day time.

But, that is not common.

In fact, i think it may indicate that the animal may have a health issue.

Stay away.

TCD

People are often surprised that Cypress trees, which there are also a lot of around the Fort, are deciduous (drop their leaves), but they are. They are one of the first to grow leaves in spring.

TCD

Don't we know it!

Seems like we're always there when the Cypress are "shedding".

Of course, probably doesn't help that we stay in Cypress Knee Circle - usually in a site next to this...

3741857646_9c5b9e7456_z.jpg

We usually have to sweep our site every day and Brady's bushy tail picks them up like velcro - turning it into a big, Cypress-y broom.

When we were packing up last year I went up on the roof with a broom and swept up a pile of them about 4' across.

We camped locally a couple of weeks ago and when we put the awning out there was a Cypress needle stuck in the upper corner.

Don't we know it! .

When we were packing up last year I went up on the roof with a broom and swept up a pile of them about 4' across.

That's why I bought a small $29.00 elec leaf blower at Wal-Mart. Not only helps clean the roof and slide toppers but also the site.

Armadillos were the evil yard messer-uppers that wore my grandpa's nerves down to a nub! Think Bill Murray and the gopher in Caddyshack... :rofl2:

Nice pictures - I like the reflections theme you've got goin'... oh you could make that into one of your chapters "Reflections of peace"... oh no wait, sounds too hippie...

Anyhoo- enjoying the report!

I love the photos from the bridge!

That is one of my favorite spots to get pictures also. It captures all that I love about the Fort!

That lady hippie makes me scared. I forgot how she looked as though she was glaring at you as you snapped the picture.

Awesome updates!

We took some pictures but stayed well away. Then I read an article about leprosy... and that was enough for me.

I don't really want to read an article on leprosy, but I do want to know: Can armadillos transmit leprosy to humans? I thought I heard not, but I think I remember something more recent saying yes. The Fort is crawling with them at night.

We've had a number of armadillo encounters at the Fort. Certainly have run into more armadillos than discounts over the years. Discounts are the most elusive of all creatures at Disney.

Sadly I have to agree with you on this.

Don't we know it!

Seems like we're always there when the Cypress are "shedding".

Of course, probably doesn't help that we stay in Cypress Knee Circle - usually in a site next to this...

3741857646_9c5b9e7456_z.jpg

We usually have to sweep our site every day and Brady's bushy tail picks them up like velcro - turning it into a big, Cypress-y broom.

We camped locally a couple of weeks ago and when we put the awning out there was a Cypress needle stuck in the upper corner.

I love that photo!

I do not love your new avatar.

The good news for you is that you probably will not have any Cypress trees dropping on you in October. It usually begins later.

That's why I bought a small $29.00 elec leaf blower at Wal-Mart. Not only helps clean the roof and slide toppers but also the site.

That is a good idea. I haven't looked at leaf blowers lately, and didn't know you could pick one up that cheap. It also would be useful to have one if you are not on a premium site to keep the sand at bay.

Armadillos were the evil yard messer-uppers that wore my grandpa's nerves down to a nub! Think Bill Murray and the gopher in Caddyshack... :rofl2:

Nice pictures - I like the reflections theme you've got goin'... oh you could make that into one of your chapters "Reflections of peace"... oh no wait, sounds too hippie...

Anyhoo- enjoying the report!

An armadillo will certainly do a number on a lawn.

I didn't realize that I had a reflection theme going, but you are right, I do. I will need to come up with a different title, though. That one is too hippie-ish for me.

I love the photos from the bridge!

That is one of my favorite spots to get pictures also. It captures all that I love about the Fort!

That lady hippie makes me scared. I forgot how she looked as though she was glaring at you as you snapped the picture.

Awesome updates!

Yes, that bridge is a special place.

We are about to visit another.

Stay tuned . . .

TCD

I don't really want to read an article on leprosy, but I do want to know: Can armadillos transmit leprosy to humans? I thought I heard not, but I think I remember something more recent saying yes. The Fort is crawling with them at night.

TCD

Using genetic sequencing machines, researchers were able to confirm that about a third of the leprosy cases that arise each year in the United States almost certainly result from contact with infected armadillos. The cases are concentrated in Louisiana and Texas, where some people hunt, skin and eat armadillos.

There are a few documented cases of leprosy being transmitted from armadillos to humans in the US. In fact, I was just reading an article about it recently. It's not a large number, but I wouldn't take any chances playing with them.

Using genetic sequencing machines, researchers were able to confirm that about a third of the leprosy cases that arise each year in the United States almost certainly result from contact with infected armadillos. The cases are concentrated in Louisiana and Texas, where some people hunt, skin and eat armadillos.

There are a few documented cases of leprosy being transmitted from armadillos to humans in the US. In fact, I was just reading an article about it recently. It's not a large number, but I wouldn't take any chances playing with them.

Thank you, gentlemen.

I always figured the FWG was pretty sharp, but Ed, you are no slouch yourself.

Now I don't have to go and do a bunch of boring research.

Bottom line is step away from the armadillo.

TCD

Time for an update.

We left off with the photos of the Bike Barn reflecting off of the Fishin' Hole.

This is the view looking back toward the Meadow Trading Post from that spot:

101_0140.jpg

Hey look!

It's a squirrel!

Right there at the base of the tree.

There he goes!:

101_0141.jpg

Right up to the porch!:

101_0142.jpg

Hey, look at that sweet rocking chair!

Looks mighty inviting, doesn't it?

Let's set a spell.

Here's the view from there looking to the left:

101_0143.jpg

And, now we turn just a bit to the right:

101_0144.jpg

Now, a bit more:

101_0145.jpg

And, now we are looking all the way to the right from our rocker:

101_0147.jpg

What a great place to sit and sip your coffee.

It's another of my favorite places to visit.

It's never crowded.

Here's what you see from where we are if you turned completely around:

101_0148.jpg

101_0149.jpg

And this is the view off to the side, looking toward the 600 loop:

101_0150.jpg

I have studied all of the old fashioned signs posted here on the back of the porch, but I have never paid much attention to all of the rocks you see here:

101_0151.jpg

101_0152.jpg

Those rocks go with this magnificent fireplace just inside the Trading Post:

101_0153.jpg

This isn't just a prop.

It's a real fireplace, alright. You can see the chimney outside in the first two photos of this post, above.

But, I have never seen a fire in it.

Has anyone?

This photo of Pioneer Hall hangs above the fireplace. I always enjoy looking at it:

101_0154.jpg

This checkerboard has been here forever.

I aways try to get at least one checkers match in with one of my DD's on each visit to the Fort:

101_0155.jpg

This pressed penny machine is interesting. It just appeared here about a year ago. It is from the old days. You can get a Musket Mickey penny here. Musket Mickey has all but disappeared from the Fort, but he is still here:

101_0156.jpg

Anything for a buck.

Speaking of anything for a buck, while we are here in the Trading Post, let's take a little look around.

I don't know why, but I always like to look at the little camping supply area that they have here:

101_0157.jpg

Look how much that little extension cord costs!:

101_0158.jpg

My photo of the price on the 25' of cable came out too blurry to read. I think it was $13.95. Probably double what you would pay anywhere else.

They know what they're doing.

If you need an extension cord, you are going to pay $7.95.

I bought one of the big camper extension cords here one winter, when my cord wouldn't reach the box all the way at the back of my site on the 1400 loop. My camper was already set up before I realized my cord wouldn't reach. I used a regular extension cord and adapter, but the breaker kept on tripping when I used my heater. So, I now have a really expensive extension cord for my camper.

I don't remember this book selection being here before:

101_0162.jpg

The ghost story book looked pretty good. I may purchase it on my next visit. But, who the heck are those jokers on the cookbook?:

101_0163.jpg

The cookbook was really lame. Are the guys on the cover famous? I've never heard of them if they are. I guess they fancy themselves as humorous, what with the squirrel on the cover of the cookbook and all.

I mentioned that there would be an adventure on this trip.

And it is now time for that.

From the Trading Post , I headed over to the area of the 300 loop.

Does anyone remember my trip report from my February 2011 trip to the Fort?

Where I followed the path of the Fort Wilderness Railroad in the area known as Horseshoe Bend?

I wanted to go back there.

In February, all of the heavy brush and vines had died down enough for me to pick my way through there.

Well, here's how it looked in March:

101_0164.jpg

101_0165.jpg

101_0166.jpg

Since spring had sprung, everything was growing. Like weeds. Which is what most of this stuff is coincidentally.

There was no path.

I just had to plow my way through this stuff.

I could not see the ground.

I couldn't even see where I was stepping.

There were thorns.

A lot of thorns.

I made it about 10' in and stopped.

This wasn't good.

I know there are fallen trees, and holes, and vines on the ground. And maybe spiders and snakes and such things. And did I mention the thorns?

I wasn't going to keep walking in this mess, as the growth got thicker as I went along, and I'm not sure if there would be any clearing along the old railway.

So this mission was a fail.

But, I had another idea.

TCD is not a quitter.

I will let you know about plan B in my next post.

TCD

TCD, It has been a little over a year since I have stayed at the Fort, your trip reports are the next best thing!! Thank you for posting

Over a year?

Time to plan another trip!

Thanks for joining in.

Great update, but you keep distracting me with squirrels :rofl2: I have a pressed penny collection but I don't have Musket Mickey. Guess what I will be getting when I'm there for Halloween :banana: And maybe we can meet up for a game of checkers calvin-playing-checkers.jpg

I accept your challenge.

But, I must warn you that I have already been awarded the (genuine cardboard) championship crown at the Meadow Trading Post.

Plus, in the unlikely event that I find myself falling behind, I know that all I have to do is point and shout "SQUIRREL!!!!" Then, I can rearrange the board.

SO excited for the next update!

In my next life, I'm coming back as TCD's shadow!! :parrot:

Now don't go wishing for that.

You would be mighty bored.

TCD