Other than, hey, has anyone ever told you that you resemble Peter Sellers, the most often asked question I get is, how is it to work at WDW? Followed up by, I have a relative that wants to work at WDW when they retire, what's it like?

They'll also inquire, is it as much fun as we imagine it to be? What does it pay, and are there any perks?

I answer, yes it can be fun, but it's a crap shoot. It all depends on the position.

Disney pays what it has to. What puts working at WDW over the top are the perks, but only if you take advantage of them. If you don't, then the pay is about the same as what you would make at most other companies in the area.

In my case, the perks I use add up to an equivalent dollar amount of about $3000.

Here are the perks for most CMs:

Unlimited number of admissions into the parks for the CM

Park admission for a minimum of three people,16 times a year. CM must be present at turnstile, but do not need to stay with guests

Four stand alone tickets. Can be given to anyone. CM does not need to be present for admission

40% discount on resort reservations five times per calendar year for friends and relatives if CM does not stay in the room or site

Unlimited number of 50% discounts on resort reservations if CM stays in the room or site

Unlimited 20% discount at participating WDW restaurants

Unlimited 20% on WDW merchandise

CM discount store where you can purchase WDW merchandise and even food items

CM WDW merchandise store

Discounted WDW and other area theme park tickets

CM outlet that sells obsolete or unused WDW artifacts and vehicles

CM recreation area (Mickey's Retreat)

10 to 40% discount at hundreds of local & online businesses like 40% off at Papa Johns Pizza, 10% of clothing, etc

DCL discounts

Miscellaneous opportunities to take advantage of organized trips & activities

Christmas package

One each, 30, 40, & 50% discount at participating WDW restaurants

Up to 40% discount on WDW merchandise

Discounts or free admission to many WDW attractions

One additional admission for a minimum of three guests

There are probably more but I can't recall what they are.

Working at WDW can be a challenge at times and the more responsibility the job requires, the more challenging it is. They do expect more.

Things were better for CMs when I first worked for Disney 15 years ago, but what wasn't?

You'll read on other boards that Disney underpays CMs and takes advantage of them. I don't see it. No one at WDW is forced to work there and no one is making minimum wage. I think most CMs enjoy working there and are proud to be promoting Walts legacy. I know I am.

Lou,

You stated admissions for 3 minimum. What if you only want to take 1 person with you? Just curious.

One is fine. It's based on how many dependents you claim on your taxes, three is the minimum. Most CMs just meet the people that they're getting in to the park and leave. I can't remember the last time I got friends or family in and actually went in the park.

My buddy Andy and his wife moved to FL after retirement and both work part time at WDW. They are having a blast. Both enjoy their jobs and Andy is always calling me from a concert at Epcot telling me what fun he's having. They usually share their restaurant discounts with us when we are visiting and we have eaten at quite a few restaurants we otherwise would not have as a result. They normally only work a couple days a week, but there are more hours available if they want to work other areas or even within their stores to cover for people who want days off.

I love the perks DW gets for working for WDW. The only downside, the friends/family who appear out of nowhere when they find out you work for Disney. I cant count how many phone calls she gets to get them into the parks. The thing is, those are my tickets....the way I figure it, we can go to the parks about twice a month for the whole year, for free. Almost like having an AP. If we find we havent been in a while, we go just for dinner.

My plan in about a year is to get a job there as well, so we could go every weekend for the entire year.

DW likes her job and loves working for Disney, but like any job, its not all peaches and cream and there are trying days. The pay isnt great, but is comparable, and like Lou said, working there is a choice.

Thank you for laying it out as it is... we are driving down to Florida in September at our first try at becoming snow birds and it was in the back of my mind to work at Disney depending on where we park our motor home. We are liking the Polk City area but have to look around first at all options that are out there, if there is anyone who knows of an RV lot that is reasonable to rent, we are looking!!!

One question that I haven't seen yet is about insurance...is health insurance available for part time employees?? The rates here in Maine are unbelieveable and we do hope to become residents to cut down on our taxes also.

Nancy

Thank you for laying it out as it is... we are driving down to Florida in September at our first try at becoming snow birds and it was in the back of my mind to work at Disney depending on where we park our motor home. We are liking the Polk City area but have to look around first at all options that are out there, if there is anyone who knows of an RV lot that is reasonable to rent, we are looking!!!

One question that I haven't seen yet is about insurance...is health insurance available for part time employees?? The rates here in Maine are unbelieveable and we do hope to become residents to cut down on our taxes also.

Nancy

We live in Polk City at LeLynn RV resort. Its a nice place and reasonabley priced. Right off of I4 but not so close you hear road noise all day. It is out in the sticks with the closests major shopping being about 10 miles for a Walmart. The staff here are great, BUT, if you want to snowbird here, call now. Come Oct, this place is filled full. You do have to pay for electricity, but its not bad during the winter unless you use a space heater constantly. Its about 30-40 mins from Disney.

We live in Polk City at LeLynn RV resort. Its a nice place and reasonabley priced. Right off of I4 but not so close you hear road noise all day. It is out in the sticks with the closests major shopping being about 10 miles for a Walmart. The staff here are great, BUT, if you want to snowbird here, call now. Come Oct, this place is filled full. You do have to pay for electricity, but its not bad during the winter unless you use a space heater constantly. Its about 30-40 mins from Disney.

Does LeLynn RV have a website? I couldn't find it in 8 pages of Google, only their addy and phone plus some info. I was looking for seasonal and monthly rates.

I think you mentioned DeLynn Resort to me before and it is a hop and a skip from Mount Olive Shore, where we have been looking. If you have any other info it would be something I would be interested in also if you can PM me. How big are the sites? Do they integrate Park Models and RV sites or are they separate? Is it a 55+ and over? This area looks to be a very quiet area and I am sure that the people are nice.

Nancy

I think you mentioned DeLynn Resort to me before and it is a hop and a skip from Mount Olive Shore, where we have been looking. If you have any other info it would be something I would be interested in also if you can PM me. How big are the sites? Do they integrate Park Models and RV sites or are they separate? Is it a 55+ and over? This area looks to be a very quiet area and I am sure that the people are nice.

Nancy

First off, sorry for derailing your thread. But since there seems to be a couple of interested parties, I will post a reply here.

The sites here are pretty big, length wise. We have a 40ft fiver and when backed in, I can still fit my megacab in the front of it. Width wise, the pad is just big enough to fit a standard size Class A. There is a pretty good sized patio with picnic table on each site. The sites are well spaced and you do not feel like you are ontop of your neighbors. There are two "comfort stations" opened during snow bird season. Showers are clean and the laundry is well kept. They are quick to fix any problems. There are park models strewn throughout the park and there is no designated areas except for the lake front area. This area is for class As/Cs and you pull into them so your front window looks out over the lake. No pull behinds allowed here as the connections are on the wrong side if you back in. These sites do cost more, but not sure how much. The park models are well kept and do not bring a trashy feel to the place. Most are winter homes. I think there are only 5 of us who live year round here.

This is not a 55+ park but most residents/snowbirds are older, no kids unless they are visiting. There are some "younger" people here, late 30s early 40s, but it does not get rowdy.

The area is nice and quite. It is country all around you and the people are all nice. During the snow bird season, they have activities planned almost everyday. From potlucks to card games, they ensure there is plenty to do.

If you have any more specific questions, please let me know.

Thank you for your quick response to the questions that I have. We made a quick trip to Bay Lake RV Resort last November and it was kinda close to I-4 and I know that LeLynn is on the opposite side but looks to be some bit away so the traffic would not be as loud.

Just wondering if there are any Mainers that are snow birds that stay there?

Again my thinking is that if I do work at Disney the drive is not that bad. The perks that Lou stated in this post appeals to me and since living in Florida for more than 2 weeks is something that we will be adjusting to, not to mention needing health insurance and the possibility of becoming residents.

• 3 months later...

One of the many benefits of working for the mouse is that they have quite a few organized cast activities.

This was the annual Red Sox vs the Rays baseball game bus trip to St. Pete.

CMs and their non CM friends can sign up for the trip which includes bus transportation and admission to the game. It's very affordable. We invited two friends that are Rays fans.

We met at Team Disney. Notice the 7 Dwarfs and the "It's off to work we go" sign in the background.

There were two full buses full of Rays/Red Sox fans.

The game was played at Tropicana Field, only about 90 minutes away. The seats at the park were good and it was mostly a Red Sox crowd.

But it was the beginning of the downward slide, the Sox got blown out, but it was a fun day anyway.

BBGame.jpg

Well it depends.

What you're calling the CM outlet is actually four very distinct CM sales outlets.

There is "Property Control" that puts up no longer used items up for bid. This is probably the one that most people hear about.

Then there is "Cast Connection Building 1" which offers discontinued but new merchandise. CMs are allowed to bring guests.

The 3rd is "Cast Connection - Building 2" that offers CMs great deals on used or slightly damaged merchandise. Only CMs can shop here, no guests.

And last are the "Company D" stores located in a few locations throughout WDW that sells a variety of new and discontinued merchandise.

The most interesting item that I really wanted, but because I had no way of transporting it, was a beautiful, very ornate and in really good shape desk. I have no clue where it could have come from. It was a master piece and it was selling for practically nothing. I could have kicked myself for not having a pickup.

And then there was the FW chandelier that I bid on for some of the Fiends that were interested in buying parts of it. To my disappointment, I didn't win it.

CMs get a minimum of 20% off at any WDW store throughout the year and 40% off during the Christmas season.

I now get 35% off because of my length of service.