HillBillyWhisperer's July 4th Trip Report

First, let me say it was a pleasure seeing some old fiends and meeting new ones. A special thanks to TCD for the Railroad Spike. It brings back memories from those days at the Fort when my kids were growing up. Even my kids remember the train back in the day. I am still trying to figure out what or how I am going to incorporate it into my camping trips but I will. Thanks again!

We arrived at the Fort on Thursday. I tried not only faxing in my site requests this time I also tried the online check in this time and upon arriving I pulled into the appropriate check in lane. I did not get my first choice but I did get my 2nd choice but then we were asked if we had a pet. I chose to be honest thinking that basically every loop was a pet loop anyway and said yes, she is 5lb Yorky, basically a rodent. We were then told they had to move us. I let them know I was not a happy camper as the last time they pulled this crap the loop we were originally in was loaded with pets. I was told that the loop was not a pet loop and we had to move. I figured if I had to move then I may as well be near other fiends so I asked if we could downgrade from a premium site to a full site. The person at the check in called the office and we were told that we could downgrade and I was placed in the 1700 loop. I apologize to anyone who was stuck behind us in the “online check in” lane as I am sure it took longer then it should have since I had to change sites. And yes, we checked out the loop we were originally placed in and yes again, there were pets. I have decided that in the future I am not going to let them know I have a pet.

We pulled into our site about 15 minutes before the typical afternoon shower came pouring down. Since I was already soaking wet from sweat I figured I might as well set up camp in the rain. It actually felt pretty good and was a nice cool down from the heat. Of course, within minutes of setting up the rain stopped. This meant it was time for alcohol! I downed 2 Summer Ale Beers in 1 minute while the Wife sipped her Mich Ultra. Why Beer tastes better at the Fort I do not know but in all honesty I really don’t care as that really is a good thing.

We basically chilled at our site the rest of the afternoon and met a few fiends who were looping by our site and praises for my Fort Fiends sign. I believe Donnie sent the Photo to our Friends at Voldemort.

i-vXP6wtP-M.jpg

i-RRX8C3j-M.jpg

We did some looping that evening ourselves.

Friday morning I sat under the awning enjoying my morning coffee with the Mrs.. We had a simple breakfast of Hash topped with 2 over easy eggs and toast. We met a few more Fiends who were looping that morning and received a few more praises on the sign. We did a little looping in the morning and spotted Thanksgiving dinner so I shot them with my camera as I left my shot gun at home.

i-729QCRN-M.jpg

That afternoon we decided to go to the movies and decided to see Transformers in 3D. We have never been to a movie in 3D and it was pretty cool. The movie was good also.

That afternoon we again chilled at our site. It was rather warm out so I had 3 fans going. How anyone can camp in Florida in the summer time and not have fans I will never know but you ain’t getting’ mine. I swear, it could be 33 degrees out and I would sweat. We did our usual afternoon looping and stopping in the stores that evening. We also checked out the “new” pool. I was going to try the Southern Smothered Hotdog but the line was too long. I will have to do that another time.

I think I downed a bottle of Mothers Sweet Tea Vodka mixed with lemonade that afternoon. That stuff should be illegal. Dinner was grilled Kobe-like beef burgers from BJ’S topped with Mr. Wickles sliced pickles, side of potato salad and chips. We also did our usual evening looping. And I believe it was tonight, could have been Thursday night, that a little excitement was happening in the 1600 loop. From what I gathered. Someone’s kids apparently stole a golf cart. The cart was found without the charger and the charger was found hidden either under a car or the trailer at their camp site. The inhabitants in the site were politely asked to pack up and leave by the Disney PoPo with the help of the Sheriff.

Saturday started with our morning coffee routine and pancakes and link sausage for breakfast. We basically hung out at our site drinking frozen some frozen libations and did some occasional looping and stopping at some other fiends sites for a chat. Lunch was Hotdogs, baked beans and chips. My youngest son and his girlfriend were arriving early afternoon and my oldest son and his wife were arriving later in the evening. They headed off to The Board Walk for Dinner and then to Jelly Rolls. We grilled Ribs with a side of macaroni salad and ships. The evening was spent looping and chilling at our site until our 2nd son arrived about 10:30pm. They then went looping and we headed in for the night.

Sunday morning was the usual coffee but with 6 of us now. Breakfast was thick cut bacon, kielbasa sausage and hash browns cooked on the grill along with scrambled eggs topped with cheese and toast. My youngest son’s girlfriend’s sister and her boyfriend showed up about lunch time. We cooked hotdogs on the grill along with chips and the kids went off on their own. My wife and I just hung out and chilled mostly at our site with some looping thrown in. We missed the pot luck get together as Dinner that evening was at JIKO’s and was excellent as usual. While visiting the store we spotted Captain Jack Sparrow and some other creatures out and about.

i-w2zfSwz-M.jpg

i-ZGZmkMf-M.jpg

i-v4zvBdQ-M.jpg

i-gPF6vWW-M.jpg

i-75S2kV4-M.jpg

The evening was spent chilling and looping with some libations thrown in between. </FONT></FONT>

Monday morning was the usual coffee but since I was up earlier than everyone else I drove up to the Settlement Post for coffee but it was not set up yet. The waiter who was setting up the tables for breakfast was kind enough to go in the back and get me a cup. On the way to the trailer I spotted these creatures. I decided to shoot them with my camera as my rifle was left at home also. I still had Venison in the freezer from last season anyway.

i-kcLGvsC-M.jpg

i-f7vnJxF-M.jpg

Ironically, we had Venison Sausage Gravy and Biscuits for breakfast and then on to the cart parade.

I could swear this was the 4th of July but this cart did not know it. I tried ordering a frozen drink but all he had was a beer.

i-xZx58ch-M.jpg

i-6SGn2cC-M.jpg

Here are some other pics of the parade.

i-8rhVMgq-M.jpg

i-LXcVRmX-M.jpg

i-69dJSzF-M.jpg

i-ncgZjQs-M.jpg

i-MhwFhCZ-M.jpg

i-fDZNvqq-M.jpg

i-tJrwcZD-M.jpg

i-SvpRRMC-M.jpg

i-fWmZ3CF-M.jpg

This was our cart and it's inhabitants.

i-3b7QcHm-M.jpg

i-3Rnm42g-M.jpg

i-zjgQnzN-M.jpg

We were somewhere in the middle of the line and most of the kids on the sideline looked like they just got done trick or treating at Halloween with the amount of candy they were getting. We tossed out a mix of candy, necklaces and bracelets and had a good time. That afternoon we headed to downtown Disney again to hit the SOSA Family Cigar store. We also decided to go the movies again and saw the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie in 3D. Good movie. If Johnny Depp ever decides to not be the Captain Jack Sparrow character then they need to stop the series as no one could ever match his acting as Captain Jack Sparrow. That evening we had ribs and chicken marinated with Billie’s Chilies Beer cooked on the grill along with baked beans, mac and cheese and apple pie with whipped cream for desert. That evening we went to the beach for the fireworks which were pretty nice but since we were smoking our stogies we sat in an area we would not bother anybody and could only see one set of the fireworks but since the were the same it really did not matter. Here are is a pic of the beach area we were sitting and a link to a video of the last half of the fireworks for your viewing pleasure if you choose.

i-qPHjPdj-M.jpg

July 4th Fireworks

The rest of the evening was spent chilling and looping.

Tuesday morning was coffee and donuts as it was check out day.

All in all it was a very relaxing and enjoyable trip.

I will say that overall I did see far more security then any trip before trying to rein in the cart scofflaws but with so many they cannot be everywhere at all times.

We hope to see everyone again on the next trip!

LOVE the report! Thanks for sharing! :banana:

So what did you get from Sosa? Did you try out the cigar bar? We love both :heart:

I grabbed a couple of Fuente Maduro Vintage Reserves.

They have a Cigar Bar? Is there a secret door once you get inside cause I missed it...several times? Is there another Sosa store maybe?

I grabbed a couple of Fuente Maduro Vintage Reserves.

They have a Cigar Bar? Is there a secret door once you get inside cause I missed it...several times? Is there another Sosa store maybe?

We love the Maduros they make. I started my hubby on them while I was in DC. Unofrtunately, we can't find them in the Lowcounty/Charleston, SC area.

Fuego is beside Raglan road and across from the Harley shop. They sell a the Sosa Cigars and some others brands too. Pretty relaxing place.

Wow, just read the report and now I'm hungry! Ya'll did some cooking!

I liked your parade pictures from the starting point and all your others.

I guess you like Jiko, it sounded like you've been before? I've always wanted to try it.

On a side note, I saw Genia mentioned the cigar place near Raglan Road. I'm a big fan of having a pint and the live music at Raglan Road, I'm not sure of the schedule anymore but last year it was always good! If anyone hasn't been you should check it out, they even have a step dancer.

Thanks for posting the TR!

WBI

• 3 weeks later...