Everybody's got favorite days to travel...

What days do you like for highway driving?

Do you prefer mornings/evening departures??

Are you a drive-straight-thru camper or do you stop after a set number of hours/miles?

Also, if work schedules weren't an issue would you choose different travel days than you currently do?

We typically schedule to leave on Saturday morning, but I harrass the hubby until we leave Friday after work or O dark hundred Saturday.

When we head to NASCAR races, we always try to travel during the week to the race, better traffic.

I prefer to drive on a weekday and don't like to drive on Sunday. There is always the possibility of a flat tire or other mechanical issue that needs to be addressed and it is alot easier to take care of on a weekday.

For the same reason I like to drive in the daytime. Usually leave home at about 7 or 8 am and stop someplace in South Carolina in the evening, then hit it early again, whenever we wake up, for the remainder of the trip.

We really don't exclude travel on any particular day but we do plan the time we go thru a major city such as Atlanta. We do however usually limit our day to no longer than 350/375 miles a day. Many days are even shorter. One advantage of retirement.

I like to leave around O dark thirty, which is always befoer the sun comes up. I tell the wife to just sleep in the truck so she is ready when I am,I also try to plan a trip to a drive time of around 5 hours but we do not always stick to that, how I feel and weather always something to consider into the plan.

We, like the Buckeyefortfan, don't like weekends for the exact reasons. We had a flat once on I10 at 4:00 on a Saturday and just got into a Discount Tire before they closed. Same thing happened on 75 and we just made it into Ocala Discount Tire as they were closing. I don't like to drive without a spare especially when we have the GK's.

I used to drive at night all the time from Tn to NJ because I worked nights and it was natural for me, not to mention traffic is a lot better. Now I find I hate driving at night and I am not an early morning person we tend to leave here around 9 or 10AM. We drive till we get to a campground that is just past half way for us. When we have the GK's thats about as far as they can take being cooped up with each other. When it's just the two of us we can go farther but there is no campground that we trust unless we go another 2 or 3 hours so we stop when it's just us two although sometimes it way too early to stop.

I am hoping that Rita gets me some pictures of a campground that is in a good spot for us but having read some bad reviews we have never tried it, she says it's gotten better.

We avoid Atlanta like the plague, we go somewhat out of our way to the fort just to avoid it. We have found a couple of shortcuts that has made it better but it's still somewhat longer. Now if they would get 65 thru Birmingham fixed up it would make the worse part of the trip better, I know my truck would appreciate it.

On a side note, I don't like to arrive at the fort on a Friday or Saturday although sometimes I do. Arriving on a Friday or Saturday is a busy check in day and the chance to get the site I want is severely diminished, I have more of a choice or chance on a Sunday to Thursday check in.

We're weekend campers, and we typically don't drive more than 2 hours due to small kiddos in tow, not to mention the TT. We're hitting up the "one tank trips," checking out what's in our backyard here inf Florida. FW and DWD are only 45 minutes away, so we are really lucky with our self imposed perimeters. Once the girls are bigger, we'll explore more.

Our trips are dictated by DH's work schedule. As soon as he gets off work, picks us up and hitches the TT, we're off. Usually around 4pm. If we leave on a Saturday, we'll leave around 7am.

When we travel to AL (family), we'll leave b/t 3-4am and try for 3 hours drive before the kids are awake for the day. We used to do that when we would go to MS or TN, but now just make those a 2 day drive....all without the TT. I can't be cooped up in DH's truck that long! We take my minivan for the extended/non-camping trips.

We like to leave home at 4am on a Thursday. Drive to St. Augustine and overnight there. Then have an easy trip over to the fort on Friday. Leave the fort on the next Friday, overnight in Brunswick, GA, and arrive home on Saturday. This schedule gets us through the busiest cities at off hours. When we both finally retire (again), we will probably opt to drive both ways on weekdays and also spend more time at the fort.

• 3 weeks later...

We leave at the tail end of evening rush hour traffic. That puts us through the awful Atlanta experience before their morning rush hour. While I no longer drive straight through, I find a 1 hour nap at a rest stop does the trick. My biggest problem is when the sun comes up over the horizon. I could have awakened from sleeping for 3 days straight, and that sun coming up would make my eyelids come down. I don't know what it is, but I don't fight it.

I don't have a particular day I prefer to drive. I just try to time it so we miss rush hour in the major cities. Typically we hit the road before the sun comes up & drive until 8pm or so. This year we are hitting the road at 1am so I can do it in one stop over. Hopefully I can avoid needing 4 new tires the night we are leaving. :argh:

We usually leave around 8 or 9 at night. That usually puts us 4 hours away from the Fort, so it is an easy drive the next day. I can and do cover more ground at night with the kids sleeping and not having to stop unless the truck needs fuel.Working weird hours and monstrously long shift I have no problem driving all night. If I get drowsy I stop somewhere and take a 20-30 minute power nap unless the wife us snoring, then I have no problem staying awake.

We usually leave around 8 or 9 at night. That usually puts us 4 hours away from the Fort, so it is an easy drive the next day. I can and do cover more ground at night with the kids sleeping and not having to stop unless the truck needs fuel.Working weird hours and monstrously long shift I have no problem driving all night. If I get drowsy I stop somewhere and take a 20-30 minute power nap unless the wife us snoring, then I have no problem staying awake.

Must be Pennsylvania people think alike. We do the same thing. That gets us through Harrisburg, DC and Richmond during off hours. We end up around Savannah the first day, stay overnight and then it's an easy drive into the Fort. I usually start to alter my sleep pattern a week ahead of time so I am alert during the all night portion of the trip.

Going to the Fort from TN, we stop over at my parents' house between Lake City and Jacksonville, FL. Then it is about a 3 hour drive from their driveway and that includes a quick stop at the rest area. ;) Any day that leads to the Fort is fine by me as long as it's Monday - Saturday. My favorite fast food place is closed on Sundays and I can't travel without my sweet tea and a milkshake. ;D Yeah I :heart: Chick-fil-A!!!

For highway driving I like the weekdays unless we are going through a major city. If we can make the major city early (5:00 AM or earlier) or late (7:00 PM or later), it doesn’t matter much. We go through Atlanta on our way to the Fort and I do not want to try that during either the AM or PM rush hours.

When we travel, I like to get up around 3:30 AM and hit the road. Love to see the sunrise and the calm of the early morning. DW is a nurse so early morning don’t bother her.

Still being working slobs, we have limited time and like to drive as much as we can during any day. We get up early to start and drive until late, sometimes 8:00 PM or 9:00 PM. We do take breaks and DW sleeps while I drive, and I sleep (more or less) while she drives. While going to or from our destinations, we stay at truck stops and don’t normally do much sightseeing on the way.

When we end our days as working slobs, lots of this will change. Early mornings with stay the same but we will take longer stops and shorter driving days on our way to our destinations. Might have to do a day or so at a campsite on our way to where ever if we find something we like.