From the Disney Parks Blog...

posted on September 20th, 2011 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

We have great news to share today. At a press conference happening right now at Walt Disney Imagineering, Bob Iger and Tom Staggs just announced a long-term creative partnership with James Cameron’s Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox Filmed Entertainment to bring the fantasy world of AVATAR to life at Disney Parks. And it’ll all begin at Disney’s Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort.

ava234098SMALL.gif

James and his producing partner Jon Landau and their team at Lightstorm Entertainment will serve as creative consultants on the project and will work side-by-side with our Walt Disney Imagineers as we dream up experiences that will take our guests deep into worlds of AVATAR like never before. There are also two sequels to the record setting first film in the works, which will offer more fascinating stories, characters and locations to explore in the AVATAR universe. Disney’s Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort is planned as the site of the first AVATAR-themed land with construction expected to begin by 2013.

We believe Disney’s Animal Kingdom is a great fit for this project because it was created to give guests the opportunity to experience the worlds of animals and nature – real and mythical – in new ways. Disney’s Animal Kingdom also celebrates adventure, living in harmony with nature and environmental stewardship – themes that are deeply rooted in the story of AVATAR.

The design phase on the Disney’s Animal Kingdom project has just begun so stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for more details.

Got questions about the announcement? If so, Tom Staggs will be answering them in a special Q&A blog post later today. Just submit your name, city where you’re from and your question to [email protected] and then check the Disney Parks Blog later to see some of the answers.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/09/avatar-coming-to-disney-parks/

It's an even bigger announcement than what the press release says.

The proclamation by the WDW haters that Harry Potter has dealt a death blow to WDW seems to be a little premature with this announcement.

I saw Avatar, but won't be seeing the sequels. Too much of a social view point going on underneath the great special effects and visuals.

I am excited that the concept is coming to WDW though.

So let's review, Fantasyland expansion, Avatarland, Hypherion Wharf, and whatever comes out of the Marvel Comics acquisition.

Then there's the Art of Animation resort, the Grand Floridan DVC project, and Golden Oak.

Not bad for a company on the ropes.

Disney’s Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort is planned as the site of the first AVATAR-themed land with construction expected to begin by 2013.

FIRST?? Wonder which other locations are under consideration too?

I too was not crazy with the left leaning bend of the movie, but loved it all the same. I’ve learned if I want to see anything that has been made in the last 20 years I have to put up with it and will if it’s a good movie in spite of that. I too think it will make a nice addition. For those of us who go multiple times a year I want them to change things from time to time. It gives me a reason to keep buying those annual passes.

But, I see it's got a PG-13 rating.

So, are young kids going to be interested in this?

It seems odd for there to be a whole land in a theme park based on a movie that the target audience has not and is not likely to see.

I say this never happens.

TCD

But a good number of the Harry Potter movies, all of the Star Wars movies, the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, and many others are also PG-13.

But a good number of the Harry Potter movies, all of the Star Wars movies, the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, and many others are also PG-13.

The Harry Potter juggernaut started as a series of books geared toward pre-teens. If I am not mistaken, the first movie was rated G.

When the Star Wars saga started, there was no such thing as a PG-13 rating. So, the early films were just PG rated. I am no Star Wars expert, but as far as I can tell, 5 of the 6 were rated PG and not PG-13. Also, there is a Star Wars cartoon series that apparently is geared toward young children.

Pirates of the Caribbean was already an attraction at WDW and Disneyland before the first movie was made. Also, that is just one attraction, not a whole "land" in a theme park.

I still say that children will have zero interest in a land of blue aliens.

I could see possibly building one attraction based on the movie, but not a whole "land."

But nobody asked me.

TCD

I'm actually hoping this will be pretty neat!! This may tie into the mythical creatures section, they've always wanted to build, and like Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea which are "amazing" they can dictate their standards, but somebody else spends the money!!

I'm actually hoping this will be pretty neat!! This may tie into the mythical creatures section, they've always wanted to build, and like Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea which are "amazing" they can dictate their standards, but somebody else spends the money!!

I agree that this could be cool.

But, I don't like the Avatar tie-in.

The original plans for Animal Kingdom included a land that was to be called the Beastly Kingdom. You can see evidence of this in the AK logo, which includes a dragon:

220px-Animal_Kingdom_TPark_Color.png

And at the park entrance:

ak_dragon_11_07.jpg

When AK first opened, there was an attraction called the Discovery River Boats. These boats didn't go anywhere- just in a big circle. If you look to the right as you cross over the bridge toward the Tree of Life, you can see where the boats used to dock. They use this area as a character meet and greet now:

boat01.jpg

These boats just went around in a circle- they didn't go anywhere. Which is why guests didn't like them. Along the path followed by the boats, there was a cave that shot out a blast of fire. This was supposed to be a dragon's lair. The boats were so unpopular that they attraction was removed shortly after AK opened. These boats are currently used for the fireworks pirate cruise that leaves from the Contemporary Resort.

I think a Beastly Kingdom would be a great addition to AK.

And the Avatar addition will probably be fine. I just think it's a sell-out by Disney, and possibly a knee-jerk reaction to the Harry Potter land over at Universal.

TCD

That is a rough one. While I thought the movie was cool I was NOT one of the people crying wanting to live there and all of that insanity. As a tie in to Disney I think they will do a great job with it and the technology will be great but... Disney has so many other properties it could launch to enhance AK I almost think of this as a cheap way to bring in guests. Almost like they are not trying hard. If that makes any sense.

So let's review, Fantasyland expansion, Avatarland, Hypherion Wharf, and whatever comes out of the Marvel Comics acquisition.

Then there's the Art of Animation resort, the Grand Floridan DVC project, and Golden Oak.

Not bad for a company on the ropes.

I thought the same thing, Lou.

FIRST?? Wonder which other locations are under consideration too?

I'd bet if it takes off at WDW versions of it will pop up in the other Disney parks around the globe.

I've never seen the movie either, but if they can pull off a cool fantasy world that fits into AK - and pack a few good rides in to boot - I'm all for it!

Will be very curious to see how this all pans out.

The Harry Potter juggernaut started as a series of books geared toward pre-teens. If I am not mistaken, the first movie was rated G.

I believe 2 of the movies are G rated

Pirates of the Caribbean was already an attraction at WDW and Disneyland before the first movie was made. Also, that is just one attraction, not a whole "land" in a theme park.

That's correct, but it didn't really take off until the movies came out.

But nobody asked me.

That's hard to believe.

I don't feel so bad then.

When AK first opened, there was an attraction called the Discovery River Boats.

I took the AK CM pre-opening tour and the boats were touted as a big deal, but they disappeared soon after AK opened.

I'd bet if it takes off at WDW versions of it will pop up in the other Disney parks around the globe.

No if here. They've already said it's the first.

From WDW Magic...

AVATAR announcement - Tom Staggs responds to Disney Parks Blog reader questions

Sep 20, 2011

Tom Staggs, Chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts has just posted an interesting Q&A on the official Disney Parks Blog answering some questions posted by readers of the blog regarding today's announcment about AVATAR joining Disney's Animal Kingdom. We've posted them below, and you can read the full article on the official site here.

Tom Staggs, Chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts

I’d like to thank all of the Disney Parks Blog followers who left comments or sent in questions regarding our AVATAR announcement today. We got a lot of great questions and while I won’t be able to answer all of them, I’ll do my best to get to as many as possible.

1) TIMING

We got quite a few questions about the timing of our first AVATAR experience at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, including this one from Adam, “Any idea when the experience will be open to guests?”

We’ve just begun the design phase on our Animal Kingdom project and we expect to begin construction in 2013. From start to finish, a project of this size and scope takes about 5 years to design and build. We can’t give you an exact date but we know that when it’s complete, it’s going to be a truly unforgettable experience.

2) IS THIS A PARK EXPANSION OR WILL “LAND” REPLACE SOMETHING?

Several of you asked a similar question, including Doug from Utah – “Will it replace any existing attractions in Animal Kingdom, or will it be built in a new parcel of land within the park’s boundaries?”

Well, Doug, we’re just beginning the Blue Sky process so I don’t have much to share about how we are going to execute our vision for our first AVATAR land but we’re focused on this being an important addition to Disney’s Animal Kingdom. I look forward to sharing more details as our plans progress.

3) SPECIFIC ATTRACTIONS

Jenna from Winnetka, Ill., asks, “What types of attractions will be in AVATAR land?”

This was hands-down one of the most popular questions we got and understandably so. While we’re still in the very early stages of design and planning, we expect this land to be anchored by multiple attractions, entertainment, merchandise locations, restaurants and other immersive elements. Our AVATAR lands will give guests the chance to see, hear and touch the world of Pandora and we can’t wait to dive in with James Cameron and his team as we create new experiences that will delight and thrill our guests.

4) FILM IS PG-13, HOW DOES THIS MATCH W/FAMILY-FRIENDLY PARK?

Some of you, including Logan in Carnesville, Ga., asked about whether AVATAR was a good fit for a family-friendly brand like Disney.

Thanks, Logan, I appreciate your candor in asking this question. At its core, AVATAR is a film that embraces strong, positive themes of family, loyalty, living in harmony with nature and belief in oneself – all values that we share at The Walt Disney Company. You can be sure that these are the same themes that we will explore throughout our AVATAR lands. They will be places where friends and families can spend time together getting lost in a fantasy world, one of the true hallmarks of any Disney theme park experience. And with two sequels in the works, we feel this is a creative property whose potential is limitless.

5) AVATAR AT OTHER DISNEY PARKS?

We got several questions about whether there will be AVATAR experiences in parks/sites other than Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Kyle from Ontario asks, “Are there plans to add Avatar attractions at any other Disney parks?”

Well, Kyle, the only land we are announcing today is at Walt Disney World Resort but AVATAR is a possibility at any of our other locations. The first film AVATAR is a franchise with massive global appeal and its success at the box office both inside and outside of the U.S. – I should also note that as we determine our future locations, we look forward to working with our international theme park partners as our plans evolve.

6) ATTRACTION THEMING

Many of you, including Justin from Orlando, want to know, “How does AVATAR fit in with the Disney theme?” and more specifically, how does it fit in with the Animal Kingdom?

As I mentioned in a previous answer, AVATAR is a uniquely powerful franchise that has global appeal with audiences of all ages. With its spectacular settings, intriguing characters, imaginative creatures and strong themes of family and loyalty, it’s a great fit for the Disney brand and our parks.

Disney’s Animal Kingdom is the perfect place for our first AVATAR land because at its core, the park gives guests the opportunity to experience the worlds of animals and nature – real and mythical – in whole new ways. With AVATAR, we’ve found the perfect opportunity to let our guests explore one of the most compelling mythical worlds ever conceived. Animal Kingdom also celebrates adventure, living in harmony with nature and environmental stewardship – themes that are deeply rooted in the story of AVATAR.

7) WHY BUY SOMEONE ELSE’S IDEA INSTEAD OF LETTING WDI COME UP WITH SOMETHING?

Some of you asked why we would choose to collaborate with an outside partner rather than use our own Disney characters and stories to expand the parks. We are as committed as ever to creating attractions and entertainment around favorite Disney characters and stories – with Cars Land at Disney California Adventure park and our expansion of Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom Park being two great examples. At the same time, we like to look beyond our own walls at non-Disney properties, like STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES, creating some of our most popular attractions. At the end of the day, we are focused on creating a great experience for our guests and I truly believe that this unique partnership with James Cameron and AVATAR gives us an entire world of imaginative creatures, fascinating locations and intriguing characters with which to do that.

http://wdwmagic.com/Attractions/Animal-Kingdom/News/20Sep2011-AVATAR-announcement---Tom-Staggs-responds-to-Disney-Parks-Blog-reader-questions.htm

I'm excited about anything new that Disney does. Will everything be a "homerun".....nope. But it's cool to see people "taking swings."

As far as it being structured around AVATAR, a PG-13 movie, someone else's brand, etc., I'm not concerned. I've not seen the movie either. But I do trust a company that has built an empire around a cartoon of a "MOUSE." They know how to make things that people spend money to participate.

I loved the Movie. If you haven’t seen it and are at all interested in si-fi or special effects you really are missing a great movie. However, I think Disney will have a hard time trying to recreate the scale of the land. Trees 1,000’s of feet high and hundreds of feet wide, floating mountains, countless really strange animals and plants. I just think anything Disney does in the real world will pale in comparison to the movie. I could see them come up with some great rides and character meet and greets but that’s it.

From WDW Magic...

VIDEO - Disney executives and James Cameron comment on the announcement of AVATAR at Disney's Animal Kingdom

Sep 23, 2011

Disney have released a video with Disney executives Bob Iger and Tom Staggs, along with AVATAR creator James Cameron commenting on the announcement of AVATAR at Disney's Animal Kingdom. Click here to view the video.

James Cameron reveals a few more details of AVATAR land

Sep 26, 2011

ITN News in the United Kingdom interviewed James Cameron about the upcoming AVATAR project at Disney's Animal Kingdom, and a couple of interesting tidbits came to light about the size and scope of the land. Cameron indicated "the goal here is to put you on Pandora", it will feature a "number of attractions", occupy "12 acres of Pandora", offer a "complete experience" and "might be a half day or more" experience.

The "half day" comment seems particular interesting, as Disney's Animal Kingdom has often been criticized by guests for not offering enough to occupy an entire day at the park.

You can view the interview here.

http://www.wdwmagic....AVATAR-land.htm

• 3 weeks later...

From WDW Magic...

James Cameron, Joe Rohde, Tom Staggs and Disney executives touring Animal Kingdom yesterday

Oct 18, 2011

It has been a little under a month since Disney made the huge announcement of their link up with James Cameron to bring the world of AVATAR to the parks, and yesterday saw all the key-players converge on Disney's Animal Kingdom. Filmmaker James Cameron, Imagineer Joe Rohde, Disney Parks Chairman Tom Staggs, and Parks President Meg Crofton were all spotted touring parts of the park with other executives and camera crews. Could we perhaps be nearing an announcement of some more specific details of what we can expect from AVATAR at Disney's Animal Kingdom?

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Attractions/avatar/News/18Oct2011-James-Cameron,-Joe-Rohde,-Tom-Staggs-and-Disney-executives-touring-Animal-Kingdom-yesterday.htm

• 1 month later...

From Screamscape...

2015/2016 - AVATAR - Confirmed - (12/12/11) Stitch Kingdom has posted an interesting article about a new patent Disney has filed for detailing a new kind of attraction, officially titled as ‘Amusement Park Ride with Cable-Suspended Vehicles”. In a way, it kind of looks like a revamp of the old Konfrontation style ride concept at Universal, with the ability of the cabin to move through a real 3D space, while being able to control the altitude, pitch, roll and yaw of the rider cabin.The concept goes even further, suggesting that guests could be able control certain aspects of the ride’s movement, that could change the storyline or thrill level of the ride experience.

So just what ride may this really be for? There is some speculation that this could possibly be put to the test as an AVATAR based attraction, though given the timeline, I do have to wonder if it may have been dreamed up for something for the Shanghai park first.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/wdw_-_animal_kingdom.htm#Avatar