Found this on Touring Plans. I thought it might be helpful for those weighing whether or not the DDP is right for them.

Disney Dining Plan: A Doubter’s Experience

by Brian McNichols 20 Comments

The Disney Dining Plan (DDP) is immensely popular. Free stuff is also quite popular. Put those together, and it’s the equivalent of getting your chocolate in my peanut butter (um…it’s good). I have never been the biggest proponent of the dining plan, but on my recent trip to Walt Disney World I took the plunge (and the free dining promotion).

292-300x225.jpg

This chef needs a hairnet

Let me start with my preconceived notions about the DDP. I’m always leery about package-style deals because, in most cases, I can find a better deal by breaking the package into pieces. My spidey sense started tingling as soon as I began hearing about all the money that could be saved with the DDP. However, since I became a travel agent I have realized just how popular this promotion is, especially when it is offered for free. To better inform my clients (as well as stuff my face every day) I decided to just say yes to Disney’s Dining Plan.

(For purposes of information, I was on the “standard” Disney Dining Plan, which allowed me 1 Table Service, 1 Quick-Service, and 1 Snack per person per hotel night.)

Negatives

I’m starting with the bad stuff so that I can end with rainbows and unicorns (not literal…or is it…teaser!). My biggest problem with the DDP is that I felt like it really negatively impacted my park touring. I’m not a drill sergeant when it comes to getting through the parks (well, I try), but I do like to get certain attractions done early because I don’t like waiting in line. Since we had at least one Advance Dining Reservation (ADR) every day, I felt like everything was based around that. For instance, one day we had an ADR at The Crystal Palace for breakfast (but after park opening). What we did was arrive at the Magic Kingdom at opening, ride Dumbo, grab FASTPASS tickets for Peter Pan, and go to breakfast. It worked fine all things considered, but that monrning (and the entire week) I felt like I was always looking at my watch so we wouldn’t be late for an ADR.

168-300x225.jpg

Dreary day at the Crystal Palace

The other negative for me was the amount of food, which is an oddly common complaint. It felt like work to get rid of all those snack credits by the end of the week (which is sad, because some of the snacks are awesome). Nothing makes a person more conflicted than staring at a sweet cream cheese pretzel, knowing you can get it, and not being the least bit hungry because you ate at a breakfast buffet 5 hours ago.

Positives

Now the rainbows and unicorns (gotcha, it was metaphorical). The biggest plus for me with the DDP is the freedom to try all sorts of new restaurants without feeling like you are risking your own money (you are of course, but it doesn’t feel like that). On this trip I ate at several restaurants for the first time such as: Akershus Royal Banquet Hall, Tusker House, Kona Cafe, and Les Chefs de France (which I found to be very good, good, excellent, and “really, this is supposed to represent French cuisine?” respectively).

The other positive is that I now believe that you can save money on the dining plan (and it takes a lot for me to admit that). The caveat is that you have to be very careful because it’s very easy to lose track of, and therefore waste, credits. One mistake that is often made when determining how much money is saved is looking at the receipt and assuming that the dollar figure on there is the savings. You have to be careful with that because if you wouldn’t normally order dessert at a quick service, you shouldn’t count that as savings. The only real way to determine your savings is to look at what you would order at a specific restaurant and compare only those items (which requires yet more planning, but we love planning, don’t we?).

333-300x236.jpg

Biergarten

Overall Impression

My overall impression is mixed (helpful, I know). I really like to eat, and I like trying new places, but the time and the excessive scheduling necessary just didn’t make me happy.

From a fiscal point of view, I determined that I personally would have saved about $20 with the dining plan (if I had paid full price) versus what I would have spent out of pocket. Of course, if I was not on the DDP, I would not have eaten at so many table service restaurants either.

Overall I can feel comfortable in recommending the Disney Dining Plan to others, especially if they love to eat out, but I don’t think I’ll be doing it again. My best advice to those who want to do it is to plan. Plan your ADRs carefully, plan when to use which credits, and plan on which exercise program to start when you get back.

http://blog.touringp...ers-experience/

I created a spreadsheet for planning my dining experiences.

I mark out the days and what park I plan on attending when. Then I decide where I want to spend my credits. we often use our snack credits to buy quick breakfast foods. I find that I like to use my TS credits more for dinner. By dinner/supper time I am more than ready to sit down for awhile.

I have to agree somewhat with the watching your time. When we used the DDP I felt I was always watching my time but we also didn't eat at any TS restaurants without it. We like to decided on a trip by trip basis if we want to use it.

We have used the regular dining plan and the deluxe dining plan. I think both probably save money IF you would eat the same meals at the same restaurants. I think it is nice because it is paid up front, so you don't have to worry about a "food budget" on your trip. It also gives you the opportunity to try many different restaurants without feeling like you're breaking the budget. However, it is a PITA having to be somewhere all the time and especially with the deluxe, you just get tired of eating. I think it is an individual preference. I know that without it, we do not eat out as much because when you look at actually paying the menu prices....wow.

We have used the regular dining plan and the deluxe dining plan. I think both probably save money IF you would eat the same meals at the same restaurants. I think it is nice because it is paid up front, so you don't have to worry about a "food budget" on your trip. It also gives you the opportunity to try many different restaurants without feeling like you're breaking the budget. However, it is a PITA having to be somewhere all the time and especially with the deluxe, you just get tired of eating. I think it is an individual preference. I know that without it, we do not eat out as much because when you look at actually paying the menu prices....wow.

I agree. We had the deluxe several years ago, and it really did feel as though 50% of our day we were eating. Since then we have always got the regular plan and we ourselves never feel like we are watching the clock. We make all ADR's for the evening only and have made cancellations and rebooked on the spur of the moment with little problem. We just go with the flow. We've always enjoyed the Dining Plan.

• 1 year later...

The Disney Food Blog just posted a quick summary on the Pros and Cons of the Disney Dining Plan article...

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2013/02/04/tip-from-the-dfb-guide-6-important-disney-dining-plan-pros-and-cons/

Excerpt...

3 Important Disney Dining Plan Pros

There are many reasons that Walt Disney World guests cite for investing in the Disney Dining Plan. Here are just a few of the many we include in the DFB Guide:

1. Pre-Payment. Your meals will be pre-paid, which means pre-trip budgeting can be easier.
  2. Flexibility. You can use all credits on the same day, or space them out throughout your trip. Also, each family member can use the credits as they would like; the whole family does not have to dine together.
  3. Nicer Options. You’ll likely eat at nicer restaurants and order more expensive meals.

3 Important Disney Dining Plan Cons

Some guests to Walt Disney World opt to pay for their meals out-of-pocket, and here are a few of the many reasons why that we cite in the DFB Guide:

1. Strict requirements. Everyone on your vacation package (and in your hotel room) must be on the same Disney Dining Plan and be using the same type of Walt Disney World tickets.
  2. No appetizers on the Standard Plan. If your family would rather share an appetizer and pass on individual desserts, the Disney Dining Plan will not save you as much you would expect.
  3. Unused credits = lost money. If you do not utilize your credits effectively and/or have credits left at the end of your trip, you will not be using the full benefits of your pre-paid plan.

Carol, I have told you before. There is no such thing as a free dining plan.

Rita, I so agree!

Frankly we don't want to eat out so much. The dining plan would end up costing us more. We don't want to spend so much time sitting in restaurants. We may eat out once per day, sometimes not at all. The TIW works better for us and gives us much more flexibility.

The dining plan would end up costing us more. We don't want to spend so much time sitting in restaurants. We may eat out once per day, sometimes not at all. The TIW works better for us and gives us much more flexibility.

Here too. I actually crunched the numbers a couple of years ago and for the way we typically eat when we're at WDW, we came out ahead of the game without DDP using the TiW discount.

We also like the flexibility most of all. Sometimes we go crazy with mountains of sushi at California Grill, but some days we just want a GAG at the Fort, or some fish and chips at Epcot. I'm also not keen to make ADRs 180 days out and make fewer and fewer every year. And of the few we do make, I usually end up canceling half of them. I think last year we had 4 ADRs in 3 weeks, and one was just to do the Fantasmic package at HS.

If Disney would offer a Pre-Loaded Dining Card...where you deposit a certain amount of money before your trip into a debit account and then charge meals on that, I'd consider it. They could give you a 10-15% discount, let you deposit Disney Visa points into it, and throw in some free drinks or apps now and then depending on how much you spend. What would be in it for Disney? They could make it like a flexible spending account where the dollars expire if not used, but incentivize you to plan accordingly and maximize how much you put in to take advantage of the discounts. If you plan well, you save money and gain convenience and ability to pay ahead of time for budgeting purposes. If you screw up and put too much in? You lose out. Plus making it like a loyalty program with rewards incentivizes people to dine in Disney establishments more often.

I'm also not keen to make ADRs 180 days out and make fewer and fewer every year.

We never make an ADR before leaving home. Always make them a day or two ahead when we're there. If we can't get into the restaurant we want, it's no big deal. Usually we are there when crowds are low and we can pretty much walk into any restaurant. Can't stand structuring our vacation around meals!

If Disney would offer a Pre-Loaded Dining Card...where you deposit a certain amount of money before your trip into a debit account and then charge meals on that, I'd consider it. They could give you a 10-15% discount, let you deposit Disney Visa points into it, and throw in some free drinks or apps now and then depending on how much you spend. What would be in it for Disney? They could make it like a flexible spending account where the dollars expire if not used, but incentivize you to plan accordingly and maximize how much you put in to take advantage of the discounts. If you plan well, you save money and gain convenience and ability to pay ahead of time for budgeting purposes. If you screw up and put too much in? You lose out. Plus making it like a loyalty program with rewards incentivizes people to dine in Disney establishments more often.

Good idea, Dave!

Sorry that makes too much sense. They would never go for something like this.

Disney doesn't want repeat customers. They want fresh meat. Until suckers stop paying for the DDP and signing up for "Free" dining, you will never see any kind or perk given to loyal customers.

Repeat customers figure out how Disney is ripping them off, and don't fall for the tricks. Disney doesn't want that.

TCD

We never make an ADR before leaving home. Always make them a day or two ahead when we're there. If we can't get into the restaurant we want, it's no big deal. Usually we are there when crowds are low and we can pretty much walk into any restaurant. Can't stand structuring our vacation around meals!

The only ones I make at this point are for places that I know are almost impossible to walk up or call at the last minute, even when we're there during quieter times.

Last year I booked Le Cellier, BoG, Ohana and the Fantasmic package at Hollywood & Vine (which we likely will not do again). I'd expect BoG to be booked up for dinner for quite a while, and Le Cellier and Ohana seem to book up superfast too - at least if you don't want to be eating at 9:30 at night.

There are usually only 2 of us, we're there when it's pretty slow, and are flexible about when we eat for the most part, so getting something last minute most places isn't usually all that hard for us. But that's something we learned over time and as the way we spend our time at WDW changed to more relaxed and less go-go-go.

Sorry that makes too much sense. They would never go for something like this.

Disney doesn't want repeat customers. They want fresh meat. Until suckers stop paying for the DDP and signing up for "Free" dining, you will never see any kind or perk given to loyal customers.

Repeat customers figure out how Disney is ripping them off, and don't fall for the tricks. Disney doesn't want that.

TCD

You are right about one thing...Disney has never seemed to care AT ALL about repeat customers. There are ZERO perks for repeats visitors to WDW. DCL at least attempts to make you think they value your repeat business.

I guess we are the dissenting opinion. Not having a camper to cook in and only having just started staying at the Fort we eat out at Disney a lot. In fact it is one of the things we look forward to most. We love planning the meals in advance and having the dining plan means it is paid for in advance and we use it so that we make a little bit of money off of it. We have never gotten "free" dining as it is never available when we can go. With that said because of the number of trips we are taking this year we are trying out the TIW card for the first time. It really though depends on if you will make full use of the dining credits. We do.

I think it totally depends on the makeup of your family and how you eat when you're on vacation.

We don't eat a lot of meals at the camper, but we don't eat 3 big meals a day either. We're more likely to have a late breakfast lunch at the Fort, then a lunch-ish meal around 2-3pm. Depending on where we are and what we're doing, we might then have a late dinner or just a snack. The last time we did the DDP, in addition to feeling like it was more food than we could eat (this was when the appetizer was still included) we felt like we were planning our days around dining and we just didn't feel like doing that anymore.

Whenever someone asks me if the DDP is a deal strictly in terms of cost, I always tell them to crunch the numbers. I did this a couple of years ago. I looked at the menus online and mapped out 3 days of meals that we'd be likely to eat, then compared the cost (including tax and tip less the TIW discount) to what the DDP would cost us (including tax and tip). For us DDP didn't add up strictly from a $ standpoint.

But that doesn't mean it won't for everyone.

I guess we are the dissenting opinion. Not having a camper to cook in and only having just started staying at the Fort we eat out at Disney a lot. In fact it is one of the things we look forward to most. We love planning the meals in advance and having the dining plan means it is paid for in advance and we use it so that we make a little bit of money off of it. We have never gotten "free" dining as it is never available when we can go. With that said because of the number of trips we are taking this year we are trying out the TIW card for the first time. It really though depends on if you will make full use of the dining credits. We do.

My guess is TIW will end up better. I alway cringe when I hear about people using 2 TS credits to eat at signature restaurants. They say they wouldn't have eaten there otherwise, but I don't see how they didn't actually pay more to do so with the dining plan.

We found that the free dining plan worked for us mainly because we have three kids and were staying in the Value Resorts at the time. Then they switched to the Value Resorts getting only counter service credits and you had to pay extra to get a table service meal each day.

Hated the planning around the ADR times, and felt like a bloated whale at the end of the week after "trying to eat it all".

Our best Free Dining Plan package once happened when we were given a manager's special on top of the Free Dining Promotion. I know, not supposed to be able to stack savings, and Free Dining normally only goes with a rack rate on the room. But we had been at Pop Century less than a year before, and when they booked our package, the castmember initially had us in the All Stars. When they switched us to the Pop, our rate dropped. The castmember went through it several times, concerned that it was dropping the Free Dining, but it worked! And we got Free Dining combined with a 40% room rate discount for everyone in our group attached to our reservation (four rooms). That was the best value vacation we ever had, but those days are long gone. I'm still trying to lose those extra pounds though.

• 1 month later...

I haven't given this a try yet myself, but someone has created a downloadable dining plan calculator to determine which Disney dining plan (if any) makes the most sense for you in terms of cost.

There's an article about it on the Touring Plans blog...

http://blog.touringplans.com/2013/03/15/disney-dining-plan-calculator-spreadsheet/#more-37530

And the direct link to it is here...

http://seeyareelsoon...calculator/cxc0

If anyone gives it a whirl, let us know if you find it helpful.

I have a question if you have the TIW card will it work if you just buy a acholol drinks while say in EPCOT aka drinking around the world? We are planning 2 trips in 2014 and think the TIW would be worth getting, we will have AP tickets plus we recieve the DVC discout as well.