Lots of Firsts and Better Late Than Never

Liv,

Contrats! :wave1:

Regarding crowd sizes at the other 1/2s, what did you learn from the other runners? I.e. do you think they would spread out better or be just as large a crowd?

Depending on the Daytona 500 and Princess 1/2 scheduling, we may do both in 2013.

We have used our small class C (sprinter base) as our vehicle for the Cooper River Bridge run the last couple of years. We got the idea from another View owner. It is a great set up since we can stay inside and warm until right before the race event. Plus we have our own potty. I wonder if Disney allows RV parking prior to the races?

TIA :heart:

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree that it does look like a mickey head that was stepped on an peed itself.

Cool! I didn't know walking them was allowed! Maybe I will "walk/run" a marathon one day afterall. ;D

:bravo: Now I have to do it twice - once in Jan and once in Feb.

I got a Sprite, found my family, and we went back home to the Fort. I never did drink my Sprite or anything else. I took one bite of a banana, but I was so nauseated. I just wanted to go to bed. I was also freezing and could not stop shivering. I mean it was more like convulsing. Lance said I looked like I did when I had my hysterectomy 2 years ago and nearly died. (Gee, thanks) When we got back to the camper, the kids went to bed, Lance walked with me to the CS and waited on me to take a hot shower. I knew I needed to soak my legs in cold water first, but I did not. I knew I needed to stretch, but I did not. I just went to bed and prayed I would not throw up and not die of a blood clot in the night.

It was fun, don't get me wrong.

This has to be the funniest bit in any TR ever posted anywhere!!! :rofl2: ( I know it wasn't meant to be funny but that last line nearly killed me! )

How come every time I reply to a post with a KFK quote. I get this message:

You have posted a message with more emoticons than this community allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message

I thought Auntie was the queen of emoticons. Apparently not. ;)

Love you KFK! :raspberry:

I am to emoticons what doodle is to glitter. ;D (For the record I am very pro-emoticon and I also had to delete emoticons in replies and quotes.) :rofl3:

I love you too LIV!!! :heart: :raspberry2: :heart:

Well amen, H!

I figure if I wake up in the morning, He has given me another day. The least I can do is thank Him for it!

Well said. Amen. Angel-male-bird-smiley-smiley-emoticon-000278-large.gif

This has to be the funniest bit in any TR ever posted anywhere!!! :rofl2: ( I know it wasn't meant to be funny but that last line nearly killed me! )

I just had a laughing fit when I read that! I didn't even realize it when I wrote it. I was droning on and on with negativity on one hand, but on the other, I did enjoy it...sort of. :rofl2:

I make that same face, only with BACON!!

Me too!

Liv,

Contrats! :wave1:

Regarding crowd sizes at the other 1/2s, what did you learn from the other runners? I.e. do you think they would spread out better or be just as large a crowd?

Depending on the Daytona 500 and Princess 1/2 scheduling, we may do both in 2013.

We have used our small class C (sprinter base) as our vehicle for the Cooper River Bridge run the last couple of years. We got the idea from another View owner. It is a great set up since we can stay inside and warm until right before the race event. Plus we have our own potty. I wonder if Disney allows RV parking prior to the races?

TIA :heart:

This is the first half I've ever done, but from what I've heard, Disney races are just crowded. Unless you're fast as lightening or slow as molasses, there seems to be a clump of people.

A friend of mine, who just ran her ninth marathon, wanted me to run something smaller (people wise) and closer to home for my first HM, but I wouldn't hear of it. There were definitely times during the F&W, I wished I had listened to her. She says all of the bigger cities have highly crowded races. She ran the Chicago marathon while we were at Disney and said the same thing...the crowds never thinned out! Also, I am extremely sensitive to smell and let me tell you, BO was an issue! I honestly think it was one of the reasons I was so nauseated afterwards. My BO is bad enough, but mix it with 14,000+ others and it was pretty sickening.

Disney does not allow any parking at the place where their races begin. However, you can park where the race ends and bus over. Don't know if that would help you or not.

I know I've been negative about this race, but I am planning on doing another. I got one under my belt and I now know how things work. I think everyone's first big race is rough no matter where it is.

Even a "small" Disney run has a LOT of people! The January 5K has about 6500; Expedition Everest had more; based on the numbers, there were around 18K registered for the 2011 1/2 Marathon in Jan - 13K signed up for the Goofy!

More BB photos

DSC00485.jpg

DSC00486.jpg

As planned, I found a spot in the shade and went to sleep while my family roamed and played. I don't how long they were gone before I woke up hungry. Only a pizza would do for me. So,

DSC00487.jpg

Sorry, Dave. I ate 3/4 of it before I remembered to get a picture.

I knew as soon as I got something to eat, my family would be close behind.

They went and ate and Gretchen brought me back some dessert.

DSC00488.jpg

Okay, so she got it for herself, but she did share it with me.

DSC00489.jpg

They all went and played a little longer and I slept some more, though there was this European family in the most awful fued that kept me from sleeping as much as I would have liked.

Lance and the kids came back about the time I realized my pale, white self was sun burned from sleeping in the shade! Now that's pale!

It was time to go home, but Lance snapped a few more pics.

DSC00490.jpg

Gretchen admiring her pressed coin.

DSC00491.jpg

Kim, like H, Lance got a lot of "behind" pictures of me. :facepalm:

DSC00493.jpg

I guess Gretchen wanted her braid photographed. I don't know. I was asleep.

DSC00495.jpg

DSC00497.jpg

When we got back to the camper, I decided it was a GAG kind of evening so off Gretchen and I went to get it while the boys went to play more b-ball.

We were half way to TE, when Gretchen and I both spotted Lorna and Richie out on their GC! We all screamed and hugged and acted like a bunch of crazy people. They were meeting up with holly and her family to eat and we planned to get together a little later. And we did....along with TJ and Missy.

DSC00500.jpg

DSC00501.jpg

DSC00502.jpg

DSC00503.jpg

DSC00504.jpg

We were all tired and Lorna had to work the next day, so we called it a night. But it was a great little GG. I know we enjoyed it and I was so grateful they came by to see us!

Even a "small" Disney run has a LOT of people! The January 5K has about 6500; Expedition Everest had more; based on the numbers, there were around 18K registered for the 2011 1/2 Marathon in Jan - 13K signed up for the Goofy!

I was told this year's F&W had over 14,000 runners. I don't know if that is true or not, but it sure seemed like it. Heck, it seemed like 140,000. :laugh:

I know you were tired, so I wasn't sure about stopping by. But I am glad we did. You should be so proud of what you did, I know I can't even run a loop!!!

I always enjoy spending time with you, it is always a short time, but your family is such a pleasure to be around. Glad you got Lance Hooked!!! Maybe you will be able to join us at Stone Mtn., or if we all come to GB over July 4th.

DSC00501.jpg

OK- I'm nosey.

So what's going on in this photo?

Did you make your own Mac and Cheese?

And what's in that big Pyrex mixing bowl thingie?

And is that a Red Solo Cup?

Did you make punch?

TCD

I love your noseyness!

Grammy had some food in the cabinet and asked me to cook it so it wouldn't go bad as the camper won't be used again before next spring. :( There was some Velvetta Shells and cheese so I did make it to go with our GAG. One of the sides I ordered was slaw...for the boys. Gretchen and I aren't slaw people and I wanted something besides mashed taters and gravy and biscuits. So like I true southerner, I added another starch. I did not know cowboy beans were an option or I would have gotten them! They were not on the menu and I didn't think to ask if they had them.

Sweet tea was in the pyrex thingie. The only other container we had for drinks was full of lemonade. Remember we don't drink alcohol. ;)

It is a red solo cup with sweet tea in it.

Did I make punch? If lemonade is considered a punch, then yes. If not, then no.

smiley_singing.gif

Red solo cup, I fill you up

Let's have a party...

smiley_singing.gif

I am guessing tea in the pyrex mixing bowl thingie?! And would also explain the red solo cups?!

:rofl2: It's a good thing I read your TR or I would be completely lost! :rofl2:

That's not just any tea. That's sugar with a little water and tea added. My boys like it sweet!

Ya know, I don't care what Donnie says about you. You are a smart gal!

I know you were tired, so I wasn't sure about stopping by. But I am glad we did. You should be so proud of what you did, I know I can't even run a loop!!!

I always enjoy spending time with you, it is always a short time, but your family is such a pleasure to be around. Glad you got Lance Hooked!!! Maybe you will be able to join us at Stone Mtn., or if we all come to GB over July 4th.

I am soooooo glad y'all stopped by! I don't care how tired I was, I still would have spent time with y'all! Lance just loved y'all and thought everybody was funny! The kids enjoyed your accent again too! One day, we'll be able to spend more time together. Stone Mountain MAY be an option for us next year, but if not and the GB thing works out, you'll be tired of seeing me!

For the record, 8 months ago I could not run 5 straight minutes. Seriously! I tell everyone...If I can run/walk/run a half marathon, ANYONE can!!

DSC00503.jpg

Notice who's missing in these pictures...me! I really wish we could have joined all of you, but the Franklin Family Flood of 2011 took everything out of me and I went to bed.

I hope that we can get together at the Fort in the future and actually get to spend a little time hanging out. I am falling in love with your precious family while I'm reading your trip report. Y'all are just too cute!

Notice who's missing in these pictures...me! I really wish we could have joined all of you, but the Franklin Family Flood of 2011 took everything out of me and I went to bed.

I hope that we can get together at the Fort in the future and actually get to spend a little time hanging out. I am falling in love with your precious family while I'm reading your trip report. Y'all are just too cute!

Yes you were missing from the picture and we definitely missed you, but we all totally understood why you were not there!

We will get together some day and spend more time together...not just a goodbye in the pouring rain. :( (Well there was that quick hello at TE, but that doesn't count.)

Thanks. I'm kind of partial to my family. You might not like us once you spend some time with us though. :rofl2:

It's Monday morning...rise and shine...home school day!

This was the reply.

DSC00506.jpg

DSC00505.jpg

So I went out to do my usual under the awning thing.

It was getting close to the time we needed to leave so I put lunch on to give everybody a few extra minutes before the drill sergeant in me came out.

DSC00509.jpg

I got this recipe from S70. (Thanks) I didn't have any root beer so I used TCD's suggested oj. (Thanks.)

My banging and clanging around got everyone up and we were soon ready to head out for a theme park day.

Breakfast: rolls with butter, onions, poppy seeds, mustard, worcestershire sauce, ham, and swiss cheese. Love these things! I made up two batches and froze them before we left TN, but some of the ice melted in the cooler and one of the batches got wet. :(

DSC00510.jpg

Of course the beast was documented once again.

DSC00507.jpg

DSC00508.jpg

I guess Lance was getting his coffee ready.

DSC00511.jpg

What a difference 15 minutes makes! The beast is tamed and my face is put on for the first time during this trip!

DSC00513.jpg

Yes, my mouth very often seems to be full of food!

DSC00514.jpg

Having a few minutes to spare, we sat down with our coffee.

DSC00515.jpg

Gretchen ready for "school."

DSC00517.jpg

You and Christy sure did share war stories of your 1/2 marathons over dinner in Gatlinburg! I almost had to carry her the last 3 miles, she was so stinkin sick that day. But we made it, in the pouring rain. And your story is just incredible. What a stressful day! You should be very proud that you persevered and crossed that finish line.

Why are we talking about doing this again??

You and everyone else that meets them. They are special.

Oh you have no idea how much this statement means to me. :hugs2:

I know I don't get on here very often, but it's not because I don't love you guys. I'm just in a season of my life that I truly don't have the time. Hopefully we'll get another computer soon and that will help. I've been on here more in the last week than I've been on in 6 months and because of it my house is a wreck, we're out of groceries, and all the clothes are dirty. :laugh: It's addicting and it's why I TRY not to get on at all. I have a DIFFICULT time limiting myself!

You and Christy sure did share war stories of your 1/2 marathons over dinner in Gatlinburg! I almost had to carry her the last 3 miles, she was so stinkin sick that day. But we made it, in the pouring rain. And your story is just incredible. What a stressful day! You should be very proud that you persevered and crossed that finish line.

Why are we talking about doing this again??

That is a very good question! ???

No wonder Lance wants nothing to do with it! :rofl2:

Ok, somehow I missed a bunch of installments, but I'm caught up now.

First, AWESOME JOB on the race! I still can't believe you ran your first half-mary in the middle of the night! You totally rock.

Second, I love the story about the GPS. I too would have totally freaked out without my watch, even more so with your race plan. Your family rocks for getting it to you just in the nick of time!

Third, I can't believe you didn't have any fuel during the race and didn't pig out when you got done.

(Losing count now...) More random thoughts - I love that breakfast roll you had! We have them every year for Christmas and they are awesome.

What was that cooking for lunch?

Finally, I love the beast hair. Too much fun.

Thanks for an awesome trip report! I know it's not over yet, but you know I couldn't wait to hear about the race!

That's not just any tea. That's sugar with a little water and tea added.

I thought that was the way all tea was suppose to be made. :)

It's Monday morning...rise and shine...home school day!

This was the reply.

DSC00505.jpg

My students tend to have the same reaction when I tell them that same thing. :rofl2:

So I went out to do my usual under the awning thing.

This has been my favorite part of your trip report. :heart:

My banging and clanging around got everyone up and we were soon ready to head out for a theme park day.

Phew! Glad to know I am not the only one who uses that tactic to get everyone else up and moving. :rofl3:

Breakfast: rolls with butter, onions, poppy seeds, mustard, worcestershire sauce, ham, and swiss cheese. Love these things! I made up two batches and froze them before we left TN, but some of the ice melted in the cooler and one of the batches got wet. :(

DSC00510.jpg

That looks delicious!

Having a few minutes to spare, we sat down with our coffee.

DSC00515.jpg

That's a sweet picture of you both.

Gretchen ready for "school."

DSC00517.jpg

Best thing about homeschooling No Shoes required!

Look what we saw on our bike ride to the bus stop.

DSC00518.jpg

Waiting for the EPCOT bus .

DSC00519.jpg

Our plans were to head straight to our home school meeting place, but as soon as we walked in Gretchen saw Stitch. She LOVES Stitch!

DSC00520.jpg

DSC00521.jpg

DSC00522.jpg

DSC00523.jpg

DSC00524.jpg

DSC00525.jpg

DSC00526.jpg

DSC00527.jpg

DSC00529.jpg

DSC00530.jpg

DSC00531.jpg

We couldn't pass this up.

DSC00532.jpg

The line for our "class."

DSC00533.jpg

DSC00534.jpg

DSC00536.jpg

Inside the room where our class was held.

DSC00537.jpg

DSC00538.jpg

DSC00539.jpg

Darn. Gage needs the computer for science. I'll be back.