T@BS and Fiends and Spooks, Oh My! Oct 25 - Nov 6

Well, it's high time I started on this report.

As usual, this trip morphed a few times before it finalized. Originally, Rick and I were going to drive down to the Fort Friday afternoon, Oct 28 and arrive really, really late. Last year we did that and it worked well. Rick drove, I slept. I dropped Rick at a hotel about 1am, and went to the Fort and checked in and set up overnight. Then picked him up the next morning. That was the plan for this trip. However...... as they often do, things changed.

As many of you know, I've been working crazy hours. My boss also doesn't like me to plan long vacations way in advance, so I've learned to shorten my initial plans, then extend as time (and a clearer definition of workload) gets closer. So since I finished the last project, and nothing was looming on the horizon, I asked for a few extra days at the beginning of the trip. No problem!!!

It turns out my T@B group was having a Halloween rally at Anastasia State Park in St. Augustine, FL. I did not sign up initially as I knew that the Fort was the only place I wanted to be for Halloween. I soon learned that some of the folks would be arriving as early as Wednesday, so I looked at the website and a site was available for Wed and Thur night in the loop that the T@Bs were gathering, so I booked it!!! I also booked the KOA in Forsyth, GA, as that is a good stop for me when I leave home after work. This new plan now gets me to the Fort pretty early on Friday, so have more choices for a good site!!

Rick didn't want to go to Anastasia, so we found him a flight directly to Orlando on Saturday.

Another wrench was then thrown in. I needed to be BACK in Sterling, VA on Monday, October 24th for an audit of our files on the project I just did. I played around with pulling the camper up there, and getting some of my mileage down to FL paid for, but then decided that would be 4 straight days of driving 400+ miles, and just didn't feel it.

So Monday morning, flew up to Sterling, had my audit, then Tuesday, flew back home, hitched up the camper and headed South!!!

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

My first stop was the KOA in Forsyth, GA. Due to the work travel, was able to leave a bit earlier than 5pm, so had some time to relax once I arrived.

Here are a couple of pics.

000_0008.jpg

000_0007.jpg

000_0006.jpg

000_0005.jpg

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm on it, it might be spring but I am on it lol Just keep you know who from running it over while on the phone!

:jumpforjoy This report has made my favorites list of TR's. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the last few installments especially!!!! :heartsmiley: I hope your kids never see this post. If they do I hope they are

Here we go!!! As I said, some of my T@B friends actually came over to Disney after St. Augustine for a few days, and we decided to get together Friday night at DTD. Apparently, a LOT of you met them,

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Is that Caramel Corn TJ??!!!!

Cool!!!! Another TR!!!! Another time, I get to feel boo hoo I didn't get to go to Da Fort over Halloween.....yippee!!!!

Loving the TR and pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Don't feel Boo Hoo, just plan for next Halloween!!

male29-male-theater-cinema-smiley-emoticon-000071-large.gif

I LOVE your smilies, Ed!!

I'm in!

We need another Halloween Trip Report around here!

TCD

Thanks!!

Oh goody,another mouseketab TR. :jumpforjoy

Thanks Doodle!!! Your in this one!!!!

Wednesday, October 26th

Continuing on, I head out Wednesday morning to arrive at Anastasia by checkin time at 3pm. Only one picture on the drive.

000_0009.jpg

I tried something a bit different this time. Even though it was a few more miles, I cut across Georgia on I-16 over to I-95, instead of going straight down I-75 to I-10. I wanted a bit different scenery. I-16 is a nice, uncrowded interstate.

Once I arrived at Anastasia, I unhitched, and did almost NO setup.

000_0010.jpg

000_0011.jpg

000_0012.jpg

100_3996.jpg

100_3997.jpg

So then as I was snapping pictures, it said "memory full". I then discovered I had left my SD card in the desktop at home from the last time I downloaded pictures, so off to the store for a new SD card.

Here are a couple of pics of the Radio Shack to make sure the new chip worked in the camera

100_3995.jpg

100_3994.jpg

Coming next, dinner in Old St. Augustine with T@B friends, and all the T@Bs that arrived early.

This place rocks with TR's!

Karla has Aiden.

TCD has mysteries.

Ed has Old Koot.

I have drunks.

But...Carol has Radio Shack! You definitely win the award for the most original! :))

The last time I got the "memory full" message, I had to go through and delete all the crappy shots....which killed my battery. I can't win.

The dreaded "memory full" message. How many times have I gotten that one! ;D

Great photos!

Yeah, I have NEVER gotten that message cause the chip I normall use holds like 2000 pictures, but with no chip at all, the camera only holds like 12.

This place rocks with TR's!

Karla has Aiden.

TCD has mysteries.

Ed has Old Koot.

I have drunks.

But...Carol has Radio Shack! You definitely win the award for the most original! :))

The last time I got the "memory full" message, I had to go through and delete all the crappy shots....which killed my battery. I can't win.

What does TCD say?? Quantity, not quality!!! I only have 450 pics this trip, so had to have some quantity there!!!

You amaze me with how quickly you are able to adapt to the "challenges" thrown at you. I am looking forward to more of your report. :popcorn:

Yvonne, when the kids move out, the "challenges" become a lot easier!!!

Wow, that is a gorgeous campsite. :heartsmiley:

Yes it was!!! They even "Rake" the sites between guests!!

Great report!

I have heard great things about Anastasia, your site looks very nice.

Can't wait to read more!

As a FL resident, you need to visit!!!

After dinner, we head back and settle in for a good nights sleep. I think I got online. That was fun. I found one spot on the site where I got a good enough signal for internet, so drug the picnic table over there and ran an extension cord and a power strip for the phone and computer and chatted with fiends.

Thursday, October 27th

The next morning, I was really lazy. I wandered the loop and got pictures around the loop and ran my mouth with other T@B owners, both old friends and new. There was one brand new T@B owner and we gave them T@B information overload!!!

Here are some pics.

100_3998.jpg

100_3999.jpg

100_4000.jpg

This lady did the Halloween decorations up good!

100_4001.jpg

100_4002.jpg

100_4003.jpg

100_4004.jpg

100_4005.jpg

These folks own a T@B, but get much better gas mileage in the Roadtrek coming from New York

100_4006.jpg

100_4007.jpg

100_4014.jpg

100_4029.jpg

100_4030.jpg

100_4031.jpg

A few shots from my chair

100_4009.jpg

100_4010.jpg

100_4011.jpg

100_4012.jpg

100_4013.jpg

That's my photo limit.

Everyday there is another exciting trip report. Keep it coming Carol!

I don't know about exciting, but thanks!!

Carol

What site did you get at Anastasia? We're always in the front loop nearest the beach but want to change for future trips. We really liked some of the back sites better, more shade and a lot more room!

I was in 106 in the Coquina Loop.

Carol-

What is up with the little fence post barricade at the back of your campsite?

Is there a canal back there or something?

How were the mosquitoes?

TCD

Most of the sites had those little fences around them. Have no clue why. I'm guessing some type of volunteer project to beautify the state parks. That looks like something a Scout troop might organize for service hours or something.

The skeeters were most definitely there, just annoying, not menacing.

OK, after coming back from the beach, I hitched up and continued South.

I decided to once again take the long way and took 417 around Orlando. I have heard horror stories of the parking lot that I-4 can become, so I paid the tolls.

A couple of road shots.

100_4032.jpg

100_4033.jpg

100_4034.jpg

I got on Disney property and had to use the restroom, and also needed gas. Decided to swing through the Hess Station at DTD. Big mistake!! That parking lot is too small!!

Almost there!!

100_4035.jpg

I'm in the checkin line!!!

100_4036.jpg

100_4037.jpg

100_4038.jpg

I was assigned Site 547, which according to the site assigner, was only 7 sites away from the comfort station, well, I think this site was the ABSOLUTE farthest from the comfort station.

Site pics coming next.