Best Grocery Store near Ft. Wilderness ?

We also like the Winn Dixie and it's quick if you go the back way, sorry I can not tell you how to do that I just know it when I am there. Maybe TCD can chime in here because he spoke of that in his trip report ( See I learned something from his report )

We also like the Winn Dixie and it's quick if you go the back way, sorry I can not tell you how to do that I just know it when I am there. Maybe TCD can chime in here because he spoke of that in his trip report ( See I learned something from his report )

What!!! This is an educational forum? :rofl2:

Winn Dixie here too! Good selection, reasonable prices... plus there's a really good ABC liquor store in the same plaza. :wine:

I'm bad with street names but...

Heading out of the Fort take a left and follow that road to the end, going straight past Golden Oak and ignoring the "service vehicles only" signs. You won't be breaking any laws but watch out for the massive speed bumps.

At the end turn right and follow that until you get to the major intersection of Apopka-Vineland.

Take a left.

The Winn-Dixie will be about 1/2 mile up (maybe less) on your right.

I have to confess, the shoppers and employees of Winn-Dixie were probably a little afraid of us! We were the ones standing around looking like this :bugeyes: at all the stuff they stock in that store!We spent at least 2 hours there and have actually planned to shop there and bring stuff home with us next time! Not to be biased though, I'm sure any store of that size would be equally exciting to us!

That Winn-Dixie also seems to have made a point of stocking many of the beers they had at Food & Wine this year.

We fell in love with the Leinenkuegel Berry Weiss and were psyched to find it, and many other beers we'd tried, on sale. In fact the day we were there we snagged the last 6 pack!

Goodings, yes, but it is the MOST expensive store in the area. BUT if you are in need of notebook paper or Mountain Dew and don't have a car, at least you can walk there!!!!

(Our very first trip in 1997, my boys were supposed to keep a journal, and there was NO standard notebooks, or notebook paper to be found on property!!!)

Goodings is AWFUL.

Pitiful selection (I wouldn't feed their produce to a raccoon) and their prices for groceries are through the roof. Their prices for alcohol should be illegal.

If you're completely trapped and have no other options, I suppose it's better than nothing, although honestly I'd rather save myself the trip and go to the trading posts.

If you can get 1/2 mile further down the road, do yourself a favor and head to Winn Dixie.

Thank you for all the suggestions! It sounds as if Winn-Dixie has a lot to offer. I would love to hear more about Publix, too. We don't have one here where we live and I've heard good things about it. We have a WD so it would be fun to shop at Publix. Would depend on the distance, however.

Does Winn-Dixie have a good bakery and prepared foods section ? I want to cook very little while on vacation! :)

Mamma E-

Here is a map and some info on the retail operations that are just outside WDW property if you exit the back way out of the Fort:

This is the route to the Winn Dixie grocery store from the Fort.

The route begins on the left of this map at the exit from the Fort's overflow parking lot.

From there, you turn left on Vista Blvd.

Take Vista Blvd. until it dead ends into Winter Garden-Vineland Rd.

Turn right.

Take Winter Garden-Vineland Rd. until you get to Apoka-Vineland Rd.

The 7-11 is right at this intersection.

If you turn left here, that will take you to the Walgreen's, and the Winn Dixie is just a bit further.

Piece of cake:

RoutetoWD.jpg

To help you visualize further, here are some screen caps from the Orange County Property Appraiser's website.

You can see the 7-11 and other businesses (including a lot of restaurants) here:

apopka-vinelandrd.jpg

Note where the Chili's is in the image above. Here another shot showing what is North of the Chili's:

apopka-vinelandrd1.jpg

The Winn Dixie is to the right of the ABC Liquor Store that you see toward the top right of the image above.

As you can see from the Google Earth Map, all of this is less than 5 miles from the Fort.

At home, we shop almost exclusively at Publix. I don't really know where the closest Publix is to the Fort, as I have found that the Winn Dixie is easy to get to, has reasonable prices, and stocks anything I may need.

TCD

Mamma E-

Here is a map and some info on the retail operations that are just outside WDW property if you exit the back way out of the Fort:

This is the route to the Winn Dixie grocery store from the Fort.

The route begins on the left of this map at the exit from the Fort's overflow parking lot.

From there, you turn left on Vista Blvd.

Take Vista Blvd. until it dead ends into Winter Garden-Vineland Rd.

Turn right.

Take Winter Garden-Vineland Rd. until you get to Apoka-Vineland Rd.

We plan on eating at a Giordanos on Apoka-Vineland. Never been but got a groupon. Is it in that shopping center with Winn-Dixie ? Anyone know ?

We plan on eating at a Giordanos on Apoka-Vineland. Never been but got a groupon. Is it in that shopping center with Winn-Dixie ? Anyone know ?

I am not familiar with Giordanos, but I looked it up on Google maps. It looks like it is across the street from the Walgreen's, which puts it just a bit South of the Winn Dixie shopping center. It certainly doesn't look far from the Winn Dixie- I'll bet you can see the Winn Dixie from there.

TCD

• 1 month later...