Some summer fun for winter--A July TR

It’s time for some summer fun during a dreary winter!

Our annual passes expired over Memorial Day weekend and we had decided not to renew. We had a rough summer and started having Fort withdrawals. We made a last minute decision for a short weekend trip. I had one weekend left before I had to go back to work and I happily didn’t have to play around with the reservation system.

July 22-24, here we go!

DH took off on Friday and we started out with our traditional Chick-fil-a breakfast. We have a six hour drive straight down I-75 and the turnpike, it’s not too bad. It was uneventful until we merged onto 429 and the only patch of rain was exactly where we needed to be.

1.jpg

I enjoy entering this way. There’s never any traffic and I can soak in the opening magic without disruption.

2.jpg

This did not bode well for setting up camp…

3.jpg

This building looks nice and peaceful. It was hiding slow lines and one grumpy woman.

4.jpg

A management woman was walking the line, promising us our turn would come ASAP, and making small talk. The manager came to the woman behind me and asked how her visit was going.

5.jpg

“This place should be renamed “Wait Disney World”. That’s all I’ve done here. Anything I want to do requires waiting. I can’t even get around this place without waiting for a bus. I’ve had enough!”

Now I don’t know what she was waiting in line for but I’m sure she wasn’t going to be satisfied. These types of visitors baffle me. You’re on vacation at the Fort! Why would you want time to hurry by??

6.jpg

The horseshoes resemble a hidden Mickey

7.jpg

And a REAL hidden Mickey...

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

We were placed in 2059 for the 3rd time. It’s always been quiet, close to the CS, plenty of room, and easy access to the road for our bikes.

13.jpg

The nice vegetation behind us.

11.jpg

I like this Mickey

12.jpg

We brought the barebones set up and it took an hour with the rain.

14.jpg

For TCD! We forgot the bricks in the minimal packing.

15.jpg

We went to DTD and tried a new place for dinner, Pollo Campero-Fresh A Peel. Our first experience was tainted due to the rain. Everyone was crowded in and taking their time at their tables while waiting for things to clear up. It was reasonably priced and I would try again later!

17.jpg

19.jpg

18.jpg

16.jpg

We visited the Lego store, picked our traditional ornament, and headed back to relax in the tent and A/C!

Thank you all for reading along :) Let's get started on Saturday

It’s Saturday morning, we are on vacation at the Fort, and have no park tickets. What do we do? Set an 8am alarm! We had big plans for the day. We had bought new trail bikes that week and were anxious to explore the Fort and break them in.

First thing was breakfast. Bacon and Mickey pancakes!

P1040865.jpg

Mickey comes with us for each trip

P1040866.jpg

From the road. It’s a cozy site!

P1040867.jpg

P1040868.jpg

We started traveling this way towards the group camping area and then cut over to the middle of the Fort and headed towards the exercise trail.

P1040869.jpg

We found wildlife on the trail

P1040872-1.jpg

The only picture of me taken on this trip so here you are!

P1040876-1.jpg

This is a relaxing way to reach the Wilderness Lodge

P1040879-1.jpg

However we didn’t finish the paved trail to the Lodge. We cut across the road and traveled down the dirt trail that hugs Bay Lake

P1040882.jpg

P1040880-1.jpg

P1040883.jpg

This is where the trail ends

P1040884.jpg

P1040885.jpg

P1040886.jpg

We turned around and headed back towards the Fort

P1040889.jpg

So we headed back down the trail and ended up in a cast area we weren’t supposed to be

P1040890.jpg

P1040893.jpg

P1040894.jpg

I like the new sign /hides

P1040895.jpg

We went to visit the horses

P1040901.jpg

P1040911.jpg

P1040912.jpg

A CM got onto us about being back there so we left

P1040914.jpg

We went back to the Settlement Trading Post and headed down the path by the preferred loops and found this

P1040915.jpg

P1040916.jpg

This IS a great spot. There’s thousands of people across the lake but we were surrounded by nature and peace

P1040917.jpg

P1040919.jpg

We rode up to the Meadows. I keep saying I’m going to kayak or canoe. I really want to!

P1040920.jpg

and DH stood in the pool to cool off

P1040922.jpg

Wait until TCD sees this report.

1. CM area that you shouldn't have been in

2. CM got onto you about being there

3. The quiet peaceful spot is his favorite

He will love this! :))

I haven't canoed at the Fort since I was about 6, and keep saying I'm going to also. Time just slips away and I haven't had a chance.

You will be happy to hear that I am a much better canoe-er than bike rider!

Wow!! Looks like fun!!!

Great pictures looks like you had a good time.

We've taken 2 short weekend trips and they've both been awesome!

Wait until TCD sees this report.

1. CM area that you shouldn't have been in

2. CM got onto you about being there

3. The quiet peaceful spot is his favorite

He will love this! :))

I haven't canoed at the Fort since I was about 6, and keep saying I'm going to also. Time just slips away and I haven't had a chance.

You will be happy to hear that I am a much better canoe-er than bike rider!

TCD has taught me well! I however am awful at canoeing. I can only hope to go straight and not fall out!

After swimming, we rode back to #2059. It was noon on Saturday in WDW and we hadn't spent any money yet...Naturally we decided to visit an outlet mall!

We had lunch at Panera on Vineland and went to the outlets

P1040924.jpg

But we couldn't find parking. It was horrible! We kept on driving and went to the mall on I-Drive, mostly because they have this:

P1040925.jpg

Watermelon...perfect for a summer day

P1040927.jpg

This mall has the better Disney outlet and I picked up a few Christmas presents. We shopped for about 2 hours and then came back home

P1040928.jpg

We biked to Trails End and ordered 2 Lone Riders

P1040930.jpg

We ate on the porch and had plenty to watch between the BBQ and HDDR starting soon.

P1040932.jpg

P1040931.jpg

P1040935.jpg

We needed dessert! We locked up the bikes and took a boat and monorail for a Dole Whip. It's vacation, you can have ice cream twice in a day!

P1040936.jpg

We walked around the grounds and found a quiet spot by the quiet pool.

P1040941.jpg

P1040940.jpg

With our bellies full, we came back and went swimming at the cabins pool. I miss the deep end!

P1040944.jpg

We stayed in the pool for about an hour and then biked down to the beach for EWP and Wishes! We heated some coals on the grill and I made this beauty

photo7.jpg

We headed out around 10am the next morning. We haven't been back since :(

Thank you for reading and for posting your own reports to ease my Fort withdrawals!

Great report! 2 ice creams AND smores? You are my kind of girl. I'll take sweets over real food any day.

I agree with parking at that mall! We made the mistake of going there once on a Saturday evening, notice I said ONCE. I honestly thought we were going to die at any moment just trying to find a parking space. :whew:

Thanks for sharing your trip with us!