If you fill up a new mug (tall skinny) and pour it into the old mug (short and broad) you will find that they both hold the same amount.

This is true.

And, in case you are wondering, all of the universal mugs, which were first introduced in 2009, hold 16 oz (yes I measured). The shape changed, but the capacity of the cups did not.

TCD

I was up buying some ice at meadows yesterday and asked about the cups. She actually volunteered the information that the plan is to chip the cups so they can only be used at the resort purchased and only for your stay, she did not know when this would happened. She just stated it has not happened yet. I do not know how accurately the cashier was but that is what she said

I was up buying some ice at meadows yesterday and asked about the cups. She actually volunteered the information that the plan is to chip the cups so they can only be used at the resort purchased and only for your stay, she did not know when this would happened. She just stated it has not happened yet. I do not know how accurately the cashier was but that is what she said

It's kinda sad that it has come down to this since a local theme park near us has free unlimited Pepsi products to all park guests. We pay $15 for a mug and wost people drink about $1 worth of soda out of it.

I do know that if they chip the mugs and include the 5 min waiting period I won't be waisting money on one. In the 90 deg heat fill it up take 3 swallows and then stand there for 5 min to get more :facepalm:

that is just stupid.. why waste the time and money on chipping the cups if it is going to cause all that much problems.. just change the damn look of the cup every year and make them all resort specific. DUH!!! If you had already been to that resort already that year and want to use the cup again then they need to just smile and say thanks for visiting AGAIN and yes of course you can use your cup again for this trip too being that you probably already spent thousands here!

I like that the mugs work at all resorts. My sister is DVC so she stays every where so it's nice when we go see her that I can refill my mug. I never like resort specific mugs. It crazy to have to buy a coke when I just paid $15.00 for a mug.

Dollywood has the refillable cups. You can purchase a filled one for about $12.95 and then you pay $1.50 to refill anywhere in the park. That, for us, is a good deal. About the only cups/mugs I need to refill at Disney is for coffee at the Trails End. And if I can afford the new Kuerig Coffeemaker (or my children surprise me with one for Mother's Day) I won't even need that. :jumpforjoy

If the machines will only give out drinks to chipped cups then won't they have to chip the one time throw away cups also? Sounds pricey.

When they ran the experiment at All Star Sports last year, that is exactly what they did- put RFID in the paper cups.

From what I saw, this experiment created a lot of confusion and mess. The drink machines always had huge piles of ice in them. The chips did not prevent people from getting ice- so it looked like people filled their cups with ice, then could not dispense drinks, and ended up dumping the ice.

Supposedly, the cost of RFID technology has come down to the point where installing and maintaining this type of system would be cost effective.

I was surprised when they took the system out of the All Star Sports food court. It must have cost a lot to install all of the sensors and the equipment to code the chips. I thought once they put that all in, it would not come out. I would be willing to bet that the manufacturer of the system provided the equipment for the test for free to try to sell Disney on the idea. From what I saw, there were a lot of glitches in the technology and many unhappy customers. As I said earlier, I don't think this is the last we have heard of this idea, but I don't think Disney is going to jump into this just yet.

TCD

My problem with the refillable mugs are unless you spend tons of time at the resort it is just not worth the price... For people that spend all their time at the parks they should have the option to fill it there the cost per serving for the soda syrup is pennies on the dollar they are not losing anything on it...

I snagged some mugs on eBay a couple of years ago, but we both suck down soda so quickly that unless we sat AT Trails End and drank it, it wasn't worth it.

If they came out with cool mugs, specifically FORT mugs, I'd probably buy them just as souvenirs, but otherwise I doubt we'll bother.

We've always gotten our moneys worth since we use them at the pool as well as TE porch. Grandma goes over there at least once a day to rock and read so the cups have been filled many times. OOPS! Also forgot the cup of Hot chocolate on the cool evenings when we go looping. :banana:

I'm fairly sure the original resort specific mugs were bigger. I know the forever mugs were. Gonna have to pull a few out & have DD11 pour from one to the other to be sure. A redneck physics experiment of sorts.

Edumacational... yup that's how we roll round here. :rofl2:

I'm fairly sure the original resort specific mugs were bigger. I know the forever mugs were. Gonna have to pull a few out & have DD11 pour from one to the other to be sure. A redneck physics experiment of sorts.

Edumacational... yup that's how we roll round here. :rofl2:

I would be interested to know what you find out.

We have original AKL mugs that look like they are bigger than the universal mugs. But, they just hold 16 oz of liquid. The side walls of the cup are a lot better insulated, and therefore thicker, so the mug looks bigger, but has the same capacity.

TCD

I would be interested to know what you find out.

We have original AKL mugs that look like they are bigger than the universal mugs. But, they just hold 16 oz of liquid. The side walls of the cup are a lot better insulated, and therefore thicker, so the mug looks bigger, but has the same capacity.

TCD

After you put in ice, you would be lucky to get 12 oz. of drink in one of those mugs, but if you fill it with liquid to the very top, those mugs hold exactly 16 oz. Go ahead and check- I did.

TCD

The ones from ASM hold the same amount as the new universal.