newbie coming to the Fort dumb questions

Didn't know where to ask? So i'm asking it hear. We are renting an RV for our next trip and had a few questions. We are staying at Fort Wilderness campground for the first time.

1. Is there a quick service food type court like at the AS resorts and others? Can't find any if there is one.

2. Can you get the dining plan there and is it worth it.

3. Can we get a refillable resort mug and where can we use it, is it worth it?

4. Whats the best way to get to the MK from there? Bus or Boat?

5. Where would you recommend renting a pontoon from? At FW marina, Poly, Contemp, or GF?

Didn't know where to ask? So i'm asking it hear. We are renting an RV for our next trip and had a few questions. We are staying at Fort Wilderness campground for the first time.

1. Is there a quick service food type court like at the AS resorts and others? Can't find any if there is one.

5. Where would you recommend renting a pontoon from? At FW marina, Poly, Contemp, or GF?

No food court. You can get food during the day at the Meadows Snack Bar - mostly sandwiches, hot dogs, maybe pizza? (can't lay my hands on a current menu at the moment. You can also get take out from Trails End after 4pm - fried chicken, pizza, nachos, wings...

You CAN get the dining plan at the Fort. What you cannot get with a campsite is the Free Dining promotion (when it's offered).

"Worth it" on the dining plan totally depends on how you normally eat. Best recommendation is to crunch the numbers and see if it makes sense for you. Do a little searching for "dining plan" here and you'll turn up some threads with lots of info/opinions.

Yes to the mug. Worth it depends on how much you'll use it. Also you can get refills at the Meadows snack bar or Trails End take out area.

There's no direct bus to MK from the Fort. Boat is about a 15 minute ride.

You can rent pontoons right at the Fort marina.

1. No. You can get take-out from Trail's End (love their Giddyap and Go) - not sure on the time it's available, as well as take-out from the Meadow Pool. Roaring Forks, at the Wilderness Lodge, is just a boat-ride away, however.

2. Yes, you can get it. It's debateable as to whether it's worth it. You'll hear various opinions either way.

3. Yes. You can use it at Trail's End, the Meadow pool, or the Meadow Trading Post, I believe. Depending on how often you use it, depends on whether it is worth it. DH got his money's worth; I did not.

4. Boat.

5. You can rent one from the Fort's marina, although I've never rented one.

ETA: err...What Monique said. :)

Edited by YodaGirl

Well, Monique answered your questions, so I just have one thing to caution you on. This will end up being the most expensive vacation ever. Why do I say that?? Because you will love it SO MUCH, that when you get home you will be shopping for an RV and you'll be returning to the Fort every year!

Not that that's a terrible thing. :))

Don't say I didn't warn you.

:jumpforjoy

1. Their is a limited snack bar with limited times(seasonal) and menu. They do have a small take out menu available at the Trails End Resturant as well.

2. You can get a dining plan and you can save some money with it, but not as much as if you cooked at the RV yourself. Which is one of the benefits of staying at the fort.

3. You can get a refillable resort mug and get it filled at the trails end resturant. Is it worth it. Depends on 2 things how long you are staying and how much soda you drink. I drink alot of soda so it does help.

4. Boat. I definitely its one of the best parts of staying at the fort if you ask me. Truly peaceful ride back when you are tired.

5. FW marina. I don't see any benefit from starting at some other spot. To be honest I like renting the boats over by downtown disney better. you can go down different waterways and its a little funner boat ride.

hope that helps.

Just want to mention something to you. Are you renting the RV from home and driving it down? Have you already checked the prices including your gas etc. You can rent a 5th wheel from one of our members, he will set it up on the site for you and have it all ready you just bring yourself and clothing (you will have to grocery shop). You can also rent his golfcart for your stay. check him out his website is We Make Camping Easy.com.

3) The refillable mug is also usable (and available from) the Meadows Trading Post. and the value will depend on how long you stay and how much you drink per day.

4) Boat is the most efficient way to get to MK. You can use the other boat from the dock to get to the Wilderness Lodge and the Contemporary. If you are terrified of boats (we met someone who was), there is bus service to the Lodge and you can transfer to a MK bus.

I'm just gonna say that the mug is fine if you get it as part of the package or you want it for a souvenir. Odds are, unless you make multiple trips or stay a long time, you are not going to get near your money's worth. It is too much trouble to walk/bike/golfcart to the trading post or trail's end when you want something to drink. We got some as part of our premium package, but the only time we used them was if we happened to be going by there when we were looping.

The dining plan is as everyone else described. It does cause your trip to be more structured, but that's ok if you enjoy it! We've done both, I prefer to go without because I don't want to feel "scheduled."

The pontoon boat ride was nice and made for a very relaxing, outing. We got ours at FW Marina!

Please remember to take some time to relax and enjoy your time at the Fort, it's so easy to get overscheduled/overplanned. There are many cool things to do at the Fort and many people plan days without going to the parks to enable them to really enjoy it! Hint: This also saves money on park tickets!

Another advantage of taking the boat to and from MK is you don't have to fold and carry a stroller if you bring one. It is very nice to leave the exhausted child in the stroller and just roll onto the boat at the end of the day.

Welcome, BTW, and please feel free to come back often with all your questions! :welcome2:

Ray, unless you're like being married to a food schedule I don't recommend the dining plan. We did it once and I felt like we were always having to worry about getting there and stopping what we were doing. If you are one of those that schedule every second and can set up ressies close to the park you're in it might work but in my opinion spending around $1k on food during your stay seems crazy.

BTW, we supply 4 refill mugs so unless you want them as souvies that's more dough to do something else with.

Well, Monique answered your questions, so I just have one thing to caution you on. This will end up being the most expensive vacation ever. Why do I say that?? Because you will love it SO MUCH, that when you get home you will be shopping for an RV and you'll be returning to the Fort every year!

Not that that's a terrible thing. :))

Don't say I didn't warn you.

:jumpforjoy

He's right. My first FW trip was December 2010 in a rental TT. I now own a 26' TT, a golf cart, and 3 APs.

To Mrstnbob,

I am renting Donnie's 5th wheel, he is so helpful and friendly. We met Judy at the Fort at Christmas and she is taking care of our Rez and told us about Donnie. And told us about Fort Fiends. We have talked for years about buying a RV and when we met Judy we thought it would be great way to find out if the RV lifestyle is for us. So far everyone we met/talked to is so nice and helpful that I can't wait to get there and visit with some fellow foetfiender's.

To Mrstnbob,

I am renting Donnie's 5th wheel, he is so helpful and friendly. We met Judy at the Fort at Christmas and she is taking care of our Rez and told us about Donnie. And told us about Fort Fiends. We have talked for years about buying a RV and when we met Judy we thought it would be great way to find out if the RV lifestyle is for us. So far everyone we met/talked to is so nice and helpful that I can't wait to get there and visit with some fellow foetfiender's.

You will have a blast! We rented Donnie's 5th wheel and he was awesome! Dave was right though, it ended up being very expensive because we came home and bought our own 5th wheel and tow truck!

To Mrstnbob,

Well heck, you are GUARANTEED to have a great vacation. I feel bad for folks that don't know what they are doing and don't ask for help...just rent something and struggle through it. But if you have Judy and Donnie setting this all up for you, you can't go wrong. Both of them will do everything they can to make sure you have a good experience.

My only regret is that I can't be there to supply you with Russian beer. Then I know for certain you would have a good time. You might have some awkward hallunications, but you would definitely have FUN! :rofl2:

For me, the refillable mugs are absolutely NOT worth it at the Fort. We are Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi/Diet Mt. Dew folks. At almost $15 a piece for the mugs, I can buy almost 3 cases of my favorite soda for that price and have it right there at my camper in the fridge or cooler. If I want a soda at midnight or 6am, It's right there and I can get it in my jammies. I think diet sodas from a fountain taste like swill, so I have to drink regular Coke at Disney, and I don't need the sugar!!