Stef's Freaky February Fort Trip

First things first. I didn't experience any UFO's, yeti's or ghosts on this trip. This trip was freaky because:

1. I don't usually visit in February.

2. I don't usually spend an entire week at the fort.

3. What started as two fiends planning a get away, ended up with about 15 fiends getting together.

And last, but not least, I try to be freaky whenever possible! :))

This trip was planned back in October. Doodlebug knew she would be needing an escape from the cold, and I promised to meet her there whenever she could book her stay.

Normally we spend a lot of 4 day weekends at the fort. While this is our slow work season and we have the time to take off, slow = less income. I booked the entire week of January 30th- February 5th, with the intention that I would cancel off whatever days we wouldn't use.

Fast forward to Christmas. You already know my mother got us the Zac Brown concert, but if you don't, go read that report. My father and his wife gave us something equally as good, and that was 2 nice Disney gift cards.

Did I ever mention that it's good to be an only child? ;)

This excellent gift allowed us to keep our original reservations and stay the whole week.

My trip reports always start with Mason patiently waiting in the truck as we pack the camper, but not this time........

Feb2012Fort002.jpg

Sunday morning, as we were loading things up, my rv doctor (and close friend) showed up with the new toilet I had asked him to get me. Our rv had the handle flush, and I was never comfortable putting my hands on a handle so close to the bowl. I live with 2 males, and their aim can be less than perfect when nature calls in the middle of the night.

Frank unloads the toilet and installs it in my bathroom.

Feb2012Fort001.jpg

Feb2012Fort014.jpg

Much better!

Now, just so you're sure that this is a Stef report:

Feb2012Fort004.jpg

We left the house around 11:00 am, stopped at the bank, gassed up, filled the cooler with ice and grabbed a sub to share from Quiznos.

Feb2012Fort006.jpg

The ride was uneventful, and it wasn't long before we saw some familiar sights.

Feb2012Fort007.jpg

Feb2012Fort008.jpg

Feb2012Fort009.jpg

Feb2012Fort010.jpg

As we pulled up we saw a couple of rv's in line to the right, but a CM was waving us over into the left side, where we had one of the fastest and easiest check-ins of all time. We were also blessed with one of the sites I had requested.

Feb2012Fort011.jpg

Most of you pass the hitch and unhitch spot a million times, and I don't know what made me take a picture of it, but I did.

Feb2012Fort012.jpg

What you can't see is that in front of the cart was a MH towing a car. He obviously did not notice the unhitch spot because he waited until he got in front of the 1600 loop to unhitch! Grrrrr!

The minute we pulled into our site, we got visitors. Doodle & Mike and Grumpy & Grandma were my welcoming wagon. We were assigned site 550, again!!

Feb2012Fort013.jpg

We had not even gotten set up yet, but if you look at the picnic table, you will see that Doodle came with gifts. Hawaiian punch and a bottle of Everclear, which is 1/4 of the makings for punch. The fiends left and we proceeded to get comfortable in 550.

Feb2012Fort020.jpg

Feb2012Fort018.jpg

The fort was pretty full. Here's looking to the left of 550:

Feb2012Fort022.jpg

To the right:

Feb2012Fort021.jpg

And out the back. You can see the dog park, and the playground through the trees:

Feb2012Fort023.jpg

Feb2012Fort024.jpg

We relaxed a bit after getting all set up.

Feb2012Fort016.jpg

This is Mason's "Dad don't stop petting me" face.

Feb2012Fort017.jpg

I started making snacks for later. I found a buffalo chicken dip recipe that I wanted to try, so I started it in the crock pot.

Feb2012Fort025.jpg

And of course, the most important snack to have on hand:

Feb2012Fort026.jpg

I didn't get a picture of the finished dip because it was dark when we ate it, but it was great. Very similar to the buffalo chicken sandwiches that I make.

With the snacks prepared, we took Mason on his first cart ride. This Grave Digger rig was parked in the 1200 loop. It was a merchandise truck and I assume it was there because the Monster Truck circuit had been in Tampa and Orlando the last couple of weeks.

Feb2012Fort027.jpg

Feb2012Fort028.jpg

I had planned to get a better picture of it at a later date, but they were gone the next morning.

We made our way all the way around and ended back at Doodle's site.

Feb2012Fort029.jpg

I had worked Monday morning, so I knew I wouldn't last long that first night. Mike & Doodle came over for happy hour and we called it a night around 9:00pm. I snuggled up in a warm bed listening to the sounds of the Fort and looking forward to a week of no schedules.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:jumpforjoy

I'll see your :jumpforjoy and raise you a :clint:

Yay! I can't wait to hear about your trip! I wish we were there with you.

You & Bruce were sorely missed!

Great Start!

Waiting for more please. :popcorn:

Thanks for joining in, there's more on the way, with a lot of pictures!

Love the pics!!

Thanks Jess, as long as you've been MIA, you should have weeks of trip reports to read. :))

Hey S70!

You are off to a great start, as usual!

Love the Mason pic's.

Congratulations on the new toilet.

Where else but here would anyone proudly post photos of their new toilet?

I'm looking forward to more!

TCD

Thanks Master! I have some really cute Mason pictures from this trip. He's SO happy at the Fort.

I love my new toilet, but it's huge! I threatened the boys with their life not to leave the seat up, because I literally could sit in the bowl.

I bet you're glad I took the picture while it was unoccupied. :hah:

I already love this tr!

And I already love you! :heartsmiley: I took a lot of Fort pictures for those who couldn't be there. working on that now. Stay tuned!

Let the incrimination evidence begin!!

1. We had the toilet discussion about 7 months back and I agree. Foot flush is better than hand.

2. I really must try to convince DH that Florida is a wonderful place to live.

3. Are you sure that's not Mason's "I need every ounce of love ANYONE can give me" look? Because right now, I could give him some cuddles too.

4. I can't wait to see what Doodle's done too...

5. first page

6. waiting every so patiently...

I'm here but I am sad. :( TJ, grumyandgramma, Judy are the only ones left here with us. Great start to your TR, Stef. I can't wait to find out what I did. :rofl2:

p.s. I miss you already and already negotiating our next trip to see you. :heartsmiley:

I think we all (well minus Trevor) were very well behaved this trip. I know how you "negotiate"......Lucky Mike! :))

How appropriate that a TR would begin with a new toilet. Especially right here at the anniversary of The Great Flush. :yay:

...and I can't wait to find out what Doodle did either. :rofl2:

KFK!! Glad you're here. I never thought of the anniversary/toilet correlation. :rofl2: Perfect timing I guess.

Doodle was fine this trip, it was Trevor that overdid it and of course I will tell you all about it.

Let the incrimination evidence begin!!

1. We had the toilet discussion about 7 months back and I agree. Foot flush is better than hand.

2. I really must try to convince DH that Florida is a wonderful place to live.

3. Are you sure that's not Mason's "I need every ounce of love ANYONE can give me" look? Because right now, I could give him some cuddles too.

4. I can't wait to see what Doodle's done too...

5. first page

6. waiting every so patiently...

Hey Nick!

1. LOVE my new toilet. The bowl is porcelain so I even like the sound of the tinkling, as it happens. :blush:

2. It is wonderful...minus the 8 months of excruciating heat.

3. You got me there, Mason just wants to be loved and isn't real fussy on where it comes from.

4. Doodle was a good girl. In fact she even skipped one night of punch and had coffee with Grumpy & Grandma instead.

5. Early bird catches the worm

6. coming right up.

Now that I have almost caught up on all my laundry, I have a question.

Am I the only pet owner that comes home from the Fort and ends up laundering multiple poop bags?

We always seem to stick one in our pocket on potty walks, then I find them in my washer when we get home. Thank goodness they weren't used! ???

Back to the report.

If we are there for any length of time, I like to make our first day a "Fort nothing" day. Just relax, visit with friends, walk the dog and go looping. Nathen and Amanda weren't coming down until Friday, so that's exactly what we did. I slept until 6:15 and enjoyed coffee and watched the sun coming up.

Feb2012Fort041.jpg

Feb2012Fort042.jpg

Around 10:00 am I figured it was time to get dressed, but Doodle walked over with coffee, then Mike a bit later. It was 12:45 before I got out of my jammies! Mike & Doodle went home for lunch, and we cleaned up, dressed, ate lunch and went off on the cart.

We rode down by the pool. The weather was beautiful and apparently hot enough for the northerners because there were quite a few people enjoying the pool.

Feb2012Fort034.jpg

This little guy was hanging out by the canal.

Feb2012Fort032.jpg

Feb2012Fort033.jpg

After riding around and looking at other campers set-ups we realized the day was passing quickly and it had to be close to happy hour. We took Mason around our loop, and there were a couple of interesting things I'd like to share with you.

First was this 4 wheel drive VW bus, that Trevor loved!

Feb2012Fort035.jpg

It was a neat little vehicle that was built for camping in the rough. On the rear window there was a bumper sticker that said "Breastfeeding is not a crime" :rofl2:

Ok, maybe it wasn't as rugged as I first thought.

Then I found this. Somebody's child is being brought up right!

Feb2012Fort040.jpg

I took this picture for Nate & Amanda as they are Bama fans. These folks had it all, the chairs, the rugs, the garbage cans, etc. We later met the Mom of this rig at the dog park and Mason and her little poodle hit it off.

Feb2012Fort036.jpg

Feb2012Fort037.jpg

Because we live in a fairly small southern town, I have seen my share of vehicles repaired with duck tape, but this person went the extra mile.

Feb2012Fort039.jpg

Designer duck tape! Well done, redneck camper!

At this point in the day, it was getting pretty warm, so we went into the screen room to have a cocktail. Genia had texted me a few times, and because I love to aggravate her while she's working, I sent her a picture.

Feb2012Fort038.jpg

Wouldn't Mom & Dad be proud? :)) My Blackberry Smoke humping horse t-shirt, red solo in one hand and cigar in the other! We had Sonia Leigh playing in the CD player, and life was good.

While Trevor and I were discussing various stuff, he reminded me that one of the fiends once told me that I was "one step away from throwing a bomb in a crowd"

I was proclaiming my innocence by saying "It's not like I walk into a place screaming WOO-HOO, PARTY!"

Trevor said "Well, no, but it ends up that way sometimes"

I agreed, but explained that it was usually accidental....or punchidental! So if something happens accidentally while consuming punch, it's "punchidental"

After a few drinks, we ate some dinner and Mike & Doodle came over. Before we knew it, it was after 9:00! It's true that time flies when you're having fun.

Trevor and I discussed what we had planned for Wednesday, and we came up with nothing. We figured we would play it by ear after we woke up and got motivated. Lucky for you folks, we had another Fort exploring day. I have a ton of pictures, and even a few that will guarantee to make TCD proud!

The pic of the sunrise is great. I enjoy getting up early and going down to Clementines with some coffee and just stare in the lake and think about all the fun times people enjoyed there. Then comes all the kids lol and that silence is ruined. Great report so far.

I have a ton of pictures, and even a few that will guarantee to make TCD proud!

I am already proud of you.

Good job on getting a picture of the hippie van. That bumpersticker gave them away.

And I also liked the duct taped car! Nice!

The pic of the sunrise is great. I enjoy getting up early and going down to Clementines with some coffee and just stare in the lake and think about all the fun times people enjoyed there. Then comes all the kids lol and that silence is ruined. Great report so far.

Why did I just get an image of the old man from UP?

Get outta here, you rotten kids!

TCD

...We later met the Mom of this rig at the dog park and Mason and her little poodle hit it off.

You mean that Mason wasn't cowering in the corner??? Maybe because that little poodle wasn't being a poophead like Fudge was. You would have thought that he owned the place... sheesh! :rofl2:

To answer your question, YES! I come home with multiple poop bags in pockets and in the camper. For some reason I have a feeling that we're gonna be here about a bunch of "punchidental" happenings during this trip report! At least I'm hoping so!

I :heart: you too!

Good job on getting a picture of the hippie van. That bumpersticker gave them away.

And I also liked the duct taped car! Nice!

TCD

Dang do I really look that bad? I forgot to mention a cinnamon roll never hurts either.

Yes... we sometimes find them in our pockets but we know they are empty. Trust me with a Dane.. you can't fit it in your pocket, even if you tried.. and no, I have not tried. (TCD it must be my day to say gross things).

Stef, I honestly believe that the combo of you, me, and punch... well, we might just get into trouble. Ridonkulus = Punchadonkulus

Love the duct tape work, I have to say it's quite classy for redneck engineering (I should know coming from a family full of them).

TCD - Hide your eyes ------ I long for one of those 70's VW hippie mobiles complete with some bean bag chairs and stef's punch! Just leave out the rest of the hippie stuff... OK.

TCD - Hide your eyes ------ I long for one of those 70's VW hippie mobiles complete with some bean bag chairs and stef's punch! Just leave out the rest of the hippie stuff... OK.

True confession time:

I like VW hippie vans too.

Minus the hippies.

In the 60's,my dad, who is the complete opposite of a hippie, had a VW bus for a while before he started driving a station wagon, like he was supposed to in the '70's. We had some good times in that VW bus.

TCD

True confession time:

I like VW hippie vans too.

Minus the hippies.

In the 60's,my dad, who is the complete opposite of a hippie, had a VW bus for a while before he started driving a station wagon, like he was supposed to in the '70's. We had some good times in that VW bus.

TCD

your hippie issue comes from a deep down child/adolescent fear of being thought a hippie because your dad drove a hippie VW vehicle...

I would love to have this. Imagine driving around town in that?

Oh BTW Stef, I'm not ready this TR.

23-window1.jpg

Thanks......uh, I'm kind of speechless because you said nice things?!?! Maybe trying to make up for the name calling the other night?

The sunrise was better in person and believe it or not, it had a purple tint to it, but of course pictures don't do it justice.

TCD

Aww, thanks, but it will get much better! I surely earned my Jr deputy badge on this trip and hope it earns me a spot in your next Fort adventure.

You hit the nail on the head! Donnie is a grumpy, mean, old man.

You mean that Mason wasn't cowering in the corner??? Maybe because that little poodle wasn't being a poophead like Fudge was. You would have thought that he owned the place... sheesh! :rofl2:

:rofl2: It's funny that you mentioned that! It took Mason a long time to get over his fear of little dogs because of Fudge, but he's had some good experiences with little ones lately. As long as they don't attack him, he's happy. This poodle stood a fair chance because he was white, and was a "she" ;)

Loving your TR! Wish we could have been there to meet you. (Planned to be at the fort Feb 1 - 15 until Dad got sick.)

Thanks for joining in CC! I wish you could have been there too, but if Dad is getting better, that's worth missing a trip.

To answer your question, YES! I come home with multiple poop bags in pockets and in the camper. For some reason I have a feeling that we're gonna be here about a bunch of "punchidental" happenings during this trip report! At least I'm hoping so!

I :heart: you too!

Maybe we could get a Fort discount if we brought back all of the freshly washed poop bags? :rofl2:

Yes... we sometimes find them in our pockets but we know they are empty. Trust me with a Dane.. you can't fit it in your pocket, even if you tried.. and no, I have not tried. (TCD it must be my day to say gross things).

Stef, I honestly believe that the combo of you, me, and punch... well, we might just get into trouble. Ridconkulus = Punchadokulus

Love the duct tape work, I have to say it's quite classy for redneck engineering (I should know coming from a family full of them).

Ewww....there is a couple that is always at the Fort with 2 danes and we laugh because they carry walmart bags for clean up duty!

I will be more than happy to make trouble with you, as long as you're stealthy. I NEVER get caught!! ;)

Ewww....there is a couple that is always at the Fort with 2 danes and we laugh because they carry walmart bags for clean up duty!

I will be more than happy to make trouble with you, as long as you're stealthy. I NEVER get caught!! ;)

Shawn can get it with one bag but I need to bags. I'm afraid that the walmart ones aren't strong enough.. double Ewwwwww!

Honey, the halo hasn't slipped off yet... for some reason people don't see what's holding it up. Then again, it does take a few glasses of something (or shots) to unlock the gates to my other side.